Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
Joebeeker

Default 1933 Radio problem...

A friend of mine about 10 years ago decided to replace the gas tank and do some cleanup on his 1933 5 Window Coupe. He had some medical issues and stoped the restoration project. A year ago he asked me if I could help so I took on his project and I am almost done.

My problem now is there is a Glovebox AM Radio with an antenna wire that needs to be hooked up.

The wire goes from the Radio through the firewall and ends up at the rear of the car at the spare tire mount.

It hooks to something something and when I asked the owner he doesn’t remember taking it off.

So where does it connect?

Thanks in advance....
Joebeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: 1933 Radio problem...

to the spare tire mount, it should have insulating bushings to isolate it from the body, this makes the spare and the mount the antenna
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
DavidG

If that doesn't work, since it is closed car there should be an antenna lead coming down the A pillar on the right side of the car connected to the chicken wire in the roof (assuming that area of the car is as original) wherein that becomes the antenna.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #4
fourfords

If there is not a lead on the A pillar, I have my radio lead and antenna installed under the passenger side running board.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:42 PM   #5
koates

Somebody used to make a reproduction of the insulator kit for the spare tyre mounting bracket. Could have been Bob Drake. This insulates the cast mounting bracket from the chassis and was designed for open cars which did not have the chicken mesh antenna in the roof that closed cars had. A diagram of this spare tire antenna fit up is in the Early Ford V8 Clubs 1935-36 Restoration book on page 129. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
DavidG

It was Dennis Carpenter who offered that kit.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Joebeeker

Thanks everyone for the help..

So what I need to do is electrically isolate the spare tire mount from the body of the car then hook the antenna wire to something on the mount.

Now where do I attach the antenna wire? The wire has a a connector for a small screw so where does it connect?

Thanks in advance for all your help....
Joebeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:03 AM   #8
koates

Joe, please reread my post #5. Your best bet is to obtain a copy of the instructions printed on page 129 of the 35-36 Ford book by the Early Ford V8 club of America. The antenna cable runs inside the car and not underneath as yours is. The cable outer shielding has to be securely grounded using a screw mounted metal wiring saddle or two. The wire terminal on the antenna wire is secured with a screw and nut and star washers through a hole drilled through the side of the cast spare wheel carrier. Have you checked carefully to see if the insulators have already been fitted to the carrier bolts. Each mounting bolt has one insulating sleeve and four insulating washers made of bakelite or plastic. You need to test the carrier mount with a multimeter set on continuity to make sure the carrier is NOT GROUNDED. There are quite a few more detail steps in this instruction which you would benefit from by reading them. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:40 AM   #9
Terry,OH

In the photo below you can see what the antenna connector should look like on the radio and the connector in the A pillar form a matching pair. push the two together and twist. The spare tire antenna has the same connection.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 34 glove box radio.jpg (75.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 35 radio antenna spare tire installation.jpg (37.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 35 radio antenna spare tire install inst..jpg (49.5 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 05-26-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote