Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Ray in La Mesa

Default Tod's engine block

Has anyone heard what is happening with Tod's A block casting project? Haven't seen any info lately.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:07 PM   #2
Tod

Default Re: Tod's engine block

It is still moving ahead, along with several other projects.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
Russ/40

Not much encouragement for the hopefull.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:46 PM   #4
BillEbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Not much encouragement for the hopefull.
Ain’t THAT the truth❗️
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 07:59 AM   #5
rotorwrench

It takes a lot of equipment to control your own product in the foundry and machining of something as complex as an engine block. I'm encouraged that someone who knows what he is doing has even made an attempt to do what would be impossible to many.

Ford Motor Company started out by making their own patterns and taking them to outside foundries but they had the same problem with that. They couldn't completely control the process and production was spotty at best since they had to compete with other foundry customers. It wasn't till they built a plant at Highland Park that they had their own foundry and a complete machine shop all in one place.

I think Tod is going through his own process and it takes what it takes. Until then all we can do is encourage him to do what we would never be able to do.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 03-23-2019 at 08:05 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
It takes a lot of equipment to control your own product in the foundry and machining of something as complex as an engine block. I'm encouraged that someone who knows what he is doing has even made an attempt to do what would be impossible to many.

Ford Motor Company started out by making their own patterns and taking them to outside foundries but they had the same problem with that. They couldn't completely control the process and production was spotty at best since they had to compete with other foundry customers. It wasn't till they built a plant at Highland Park that they had their own foundry and a complete machine shop all in one place.

I think Tod is going through his own process and it takes what it takes. Until then all we can do is encourage him to do what we would never be able to do.

Thanks for the understanding. I am working on blocks, a new B head (which should see castings within a week or so), Thomas heads, intakes, and the new OHV head (also almost ready to cast), on top of my daily Snyder's work. We were pushed way behind by foundry delays so things are moving slowly thanks to full work loads everywhere.

Tip of the iceberg.

Tod
Old 03-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
daveymc29

Thanks for the update Tod. Always good to hear from you and know someone will be solving the problem of the block shortage. I know you can do it.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #8
Dodge

Good on you Tod. Thanks for keeping us posted. When you get a chance post any pictures you have on the OHV head if you can.
Patiently waiting, quality takes time.

Dodge
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 06:20 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Good on you Tod. Thanks for keeping us posted. When you get a chance post any pictures you have on the OHV head if you can.
Patiently waiting, quality takes time.

Dodge

I will, good or bad. I am probably only a week or so from having the OHV sampled. B head molds should be ready for me to pick up today and bring back to the shop to test fit cores in. Those heads will be cast very soon.

The OHV pattern needs a final coat of paint on the cope side and then it can be molded. I have 3 sets of cores for the OHV, which will all be made in aluminum before I move on to iron.

Of even greater interest to me is the direction of the A blocks. I have cores for making at least 2 sample 5 main blocks and I am developing a new molding strategy for the blocks that will make even better looking castings.

Tod
Old 03-29-2019, 12:12 AM   #10
hardtimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
I will, good or bad. I am probably only a week or so from having the OHV sampled. B head molds should be ready for me to pick up today and bring back to the shop to test fit cores in. Those heads will be cast very soon.

The OHV pattern needs a final coat of paint on the cope side and then it can be molded. I have 3 sets of cores for the OHV, which will all be made in aluminum before I move on to iron.

Of even greater interest to me is the direction of the A blocks. I have cores for making at least 2 sample 5 main blocks and I am developing a new molding strategy for the blocks that will make even better looking castings.

Tod
Hey Tod,
An Aluminum OHV Head (copy/clone) of my broken Schofield , would look good on my 3 main aluminum block that you are working !
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtimes View Post
Hey Tod,
An Aluminum OHV Head (copy/clone) of my broken Schofield , would look good on my 3 main aluminum block that you are working !

Yep. When I get one of the castings made I will set it on your block and take a picture.

Tod