Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
Flat32

Default Roadster in the rain

About to start up my newly rebuilt engine and want to break it in with driving loads on it except it's raining and another day predicted. Sort of does that in the Seattle area.

I'm looking for a rain hat for the roadster top. Does anyone make such a thing??

I really don't know how water proof or resistant the cloth top is and I don't want to go getting it soaking wet. What I have in mind is a vinyl cover with a narrow pocket to go over the front top lip and means to attach to existing top pins at the rear. Quick on, quick off and a storage dust cover as well. Hopefully it would have drop down side curtains done in clear. I can see it in my head.

Does it exist or not? If so Who has it?

Thanks for all your help.

Ray
Flat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: Roadster in the rain

Just find some waterproofing agent at your local sporting goods store and make your top weather protected.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
real550A

Think like a roofer... the blue tarp won't be very stylish, but you'll get your engine
broken in.
p.s. They make 'em in camo and silver, too!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
CarlG

I didn't know that Seattle (constant rain) and Roadster (open car) were compatable
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Huckster Dave

Better send that roadster to me in Montana for an extensive break in period. :-)

Last edited by Huckster Dave; 03-13-2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling error
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #6
kp

I'm with Huckster Dave : send it down here to Texas ,we will break it in for ya. But I would wait till the rain stops ,Friend of mine had a roadster and he complained bout the rain and wind of winter too.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
darrylkmc

I never seem to notice the rain or the cold at all while I am driving my Phaeton...
I only notice it when I stop.
Darryl in Fairbanks -16 F.
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Clydes 31 P/U

Flat32, On my modern convertible I use a spray from RaggTopp on the cloth top. I got it on line. Just for what its worth, Clyde
Clydes 31 P/U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
Pete

That spray stuff works good.
I drove this to Snoqualamie skiing many times.
Much rain and snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1960 Ready to go skiing.jpg (92.7 KB, 65 views)
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
bobpo

I have lot's of room left in my 26 car garage. AND, I would even give it a work out once in a while. I would promise not to drive it in the rain or snow or when there's salt on the road.

ALL YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO IT SHIP IT HERE, INSURE IT AND I'LL EVEN TAKE CARE OF THE GAS IN THE TANK.

BTW, THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE DRIVING INSURANCE, JUST IN CASE I WOULD HAVE TO MOVE IT ONCE IN A WHILE.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Huckster Dave

Hey I offered first!
Huckster Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Deb and I have got caught in storms twice in our roadster one was at night and we drove in the rain for probably forty miles. Needless to say, we got soaked to the skin. I don't have side curtains. The top on mine is a used one that I bought on eBay. The roof is canvas and I don't believe that it leaked. The rain was really coming in the sides.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:48 PM   #13
mass A man

A beautiful Model A, Purdy Swoft, I drove a '27 Packard roadster in the pouring rain many years ago, It had a black canvas top, no waterproof dressing, NO leaks. and it was old, but good shape. I did have the side curtains on. My right foot got soaked from the water pouring down through the top cowl vent. Has anyone ever noticed in the old, vintage photo's, the roadsters always had some of their side curtains on? Usually the little 1/4 curtains. ANYWAY, I say to Flat32... Go for it in the rain if you want to drive your roadster! Forget the "envelope".
mass A man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:56 PM   #14
bobpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpo View Post
I have lot's of room left in my 26 car garage. AND, I would even give it a work out once in a while. I would promise not to drive it in the rain or snow or when there's salt on the road.

ALL YOU WOULD HAVE TO DO IT SHIP IT HERE, INSURE IT AND I'LL EVEN TAKE CARE OF THE GAS IN THE TANK.

BTW, THAT WOULD HAVE TO BE DRIVING INSURANCE, JUST IN CASE I WOULD HAVE TO MOVE IT ONCE IN A WHILE.
Purdy, the above offer goes for you with your Roadster too....
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #15
Frank Miller

If you have a Haartz cloth top it is rated to not leak under 60 feet of water. That's about 27psi. just had a tour of the factory about 3 weeks ago and that was one of the things they told us.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #16
Flat32

Managed to get in a trip around the block between rain showers. Top is tan cloth and I did a little test with a glass of water. Initially it seems to bead and roll off, but it also soaks up some leaving a darker wet spot.

If I were to try some kind of water proofing treatment like Scotch guard what would be the best way to clean it first??

Ray
Flat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #17
montanafordman

I would just wipe it with a damp cloth if it doesn't look too dirty, you can probably just use Camp Dry from wholesale sports or big five etc. Sprays on and works great with canvas tents, boots, backpacts or whatever you use it with. Also I sent you a PM. Have fun with the roadster!
montanafordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:01 PM   #18
antiquepa

I belive its called kanvac [canvack] it for tents or canvas tops, can be bought at cabellas sporting outdoor stores or other sporting stores, type in your address bar and you can read about it, used on my top, it works, can be sprayed or put on with brush, i beleive it to be around $40.00 a gal, goes a long way!! I bought it several years ago.
antiquepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #19
dumb person

Drove a car with woolbale sacks for a roof in heavy rain once. It only leaks when you are stopped. My point being canvas with a waterproofing should be ok for most weather.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:26 AM   #20
roadster31

Purdy, nice 30 roadster. I've had two of them, there is something about a nice roadster -- fun to drive or just sit and look at. I'm working on a late 31 right now that I hope to get on the road this year -- you notice I didn't say finish. My wife and I took the roadster out on a beautiful spring day, west on INT 90 about 60 miles from home, visited some friends and headed back. The wind had switched from the north blowing hard, the temp dropped to the 30's, Betty looked at me and said "can we get something with some windows in it"? We bought a nice 31 Towne Sedan, nice car, nice ride but it wasn't the same. I haven't driven a Model A in so long I'm starting to get the shakes -- over a year! Regards, Roadster31
roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote