Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-03-2019, 07:48 AM   #21
DannL

Default Re: A Matter of $$

I went the middle of the road. A driver that didn't need body work. All her challenges were "are" normal mechanical/electrical. I expected every problem possible, and she hasn't disappointed. First the brakes, tires and lights, then the timing , and now the clutch and steering. Hobbies should be challenging.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #22
77Birdman

If it is simply a matter of money, buy a car already restored.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:36 AM   #23
Railcarmover
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
im 35 years old here. I would go for the 4k. that's pretty much where I started. But it was given to me. I have sewed my own interior rather than an expensive 2500 for a fordor interior kit. Im probably 3k into my car. I rework what parts I can. I have gas shocks over stipes for the savings. I figure even the nicest show level examples will ride like the car did in 1930. Its a little tractorish compared to a modern car. And that's what makes them great. If you dont enjoy working on it buy the expensive one. The 4k will need near everything tightened up re-bushed rerubbered regreased or replaced. remember these are just 90 year old used cars until they are brought up to snuff or in show cars, beyond snuff.

I describe my car as a driver. people ask "what are your plans for it,restore it?" I look them in the eye and say this is the lowest worth model A model. Its worth 7.5-10k as it sits, fully restored its worth 12.5-15k and that would cost 15-20k. What would you do?
You have a point,I thought sport coupes were the bottom feeders of the A world..
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #24
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railcarmover View Post
You have a point,I thought sport coupes were the bottom feeders of the A world..
I really don’t understand your “Bottom Feeders” comment?

Could you explain for us Sport Coupe owners.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:36 AM   #25
Ranchero50

I specifically chose a car without a body to avoid the body drama. I love working on mechanical things and getting the A back to decent shape has been a hoot.

I always figure a barn find need a full resto and was put in the barn for some (bad) reason. A restored car is running, has grease where needed and shouldn't eat the bank getting it back in decent shape. My bottom half was partially restored but even the stuff that was done in the '80's didn't have a hint of grease on the bearings so even a resto is questionable if it's not been maintained.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote