Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2017, 10:37 PM   #1

Default I want a Fordor?

I have a Coupe, but I want to add a four door, how does this one look, item #122337851868 Ebay Engine looks tired.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:24 PM   #2
SSsssteamer

Default Re: I want a Fordor?

Found at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1931-Ford-Ot...m=122337851868

Put another $10,000 into it and you could have a $15,000 Fordor. For its poor condition, it looks a bit expensive. If you can buy one already correctly done, you will be money ahead. If you like doing everything yourself, and many people do, then this could be the project you are looking for.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If it really runs and stops, some seat covers and floorboards will give you a nice car but as for price, there was a 1931 Tudor that sold for 9500.00 that had a much better interior. In my opinion and based on the other car selling price, I would go no more than 7500.00.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
Whetto

Hola, suena como un montón de dinero para el estado de este coche. Yo no ofrecería más de ~132.362 pesos.
¿Estás buscando un proyecto?
Parece ser un buen lugar para empezar si usted tiene el tiempo y el dinero para restaurar correctamente.
Gracias, Whetto
Whetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #5
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whetto View Post
Hola, suena como un montón de dinero para el estado de este coche. Yo no ofrecería más de ~132.362 pesos.
¿Estás buscando un proyecto?
Parece ser un buen lugar para empezar si usted tiene el tiempo y el dinero para restaurar correctamente.
Gracias, Whetto
Hi, it sounds like a lot of money to the state of this car. I would not offer more than ~ 132,362 pesos.
Are you looking for a project?
It seems to be a good place to start if you have the time and money to restore properly.
Thanks, Whetto

$ 6519 US

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
Beauford

I have one that was (is) a total mess, rusted aka (fused) together. I paid close to two grand. I don't have a roof and everytime I turn around I'm ordering a part....It's slowing down now as I have everything for a safe driving chassis but the body even though good condition will open another can of worms. Hind site the one above isn't a bad deal for a driver (which mine will be) I have that invested already and then some. I really enjoy doing the work and learning. Also my six year old boy likes to help which makes the $ not so bad. just make sure its not rusted out and runs IMO.
Beauford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:12 AM   #7
CarlG

----
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 02-04-2017 at 02:17 AM. Reason: I would have just deleted my post, except the delete button is now missing.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 02:27 AM   #8
Synchro909

Thanks for the translation , 160B. I think that was Spanish, about the least relevant language here.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:04 AM   #9
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Thanks for the translation , 160B. I think that was Spanish, about the least relevant language here.
Why would Spanish be not relevant? There are many model A's in South America.

Last edited by 2manycars; 02-04-2017 at 08:04 AM. Reason: spelling
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

------

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-04-2017 at 08:19 AM. Reason: ------
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
mshmodela

Seems a few grand high in price...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:25 AM   #12
mike657894

Slant window all steel fordor. what is it worth restored? if you buy a full interior kit expect to pay 2500. I made mine out of rhino canvas in all black. for 200$ in fabric. Other costs and lots of time and learning to sew. How much is money a factor? the paint looks rough at the vertical beads on the rear of the car, Maybe just dirt. This car may polish and wax up nice. Or pay someone to touch up the black or spray over it.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #13
Kevin in NJ

The USA has the second largest spanish speaking population behind mexico. There are more people speaking spanish in the USA then in Spain.

For all the chest pounding people do about how great we are supposed to be, our country has the most people that speak only one language. Many countries you learn the national language and english in school. Often some of the classes are taught in english. Then by high school the kids are learning a thrid language. By learning I mean speak fluently, not the poor way we do other languages here in the USA.

Sorry about the the whole language thing. My wife is Panamanian and my kids are somewhat bilingual. I can speak some. It is dissappointing how people react to other languages and how poorly people are treated if you are speaking it. I see it all the time.

I realize a number of people here may have stong feelings on the subject.
I ask you open your mind some on this.
Yes, people living here do have a responiblity to try and learn the english, you also have to understand that other languages do not come easy for some as I have been struggling with it for quite some time.

Just keep in mind the native language to this land is not english. English is just one of the 3 main languages that pushed away the natives and settled on their land. Bear in mind we could easily be speaking Spanish or French.

As for the car, it is a bit pricey. I am sure it needs a lot of mechanical work as well as cosmetics. But people are willing to pay that much so what can I say. The better deal is always the older restoration with a well known engine rebuild and well known brake rebuild.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:45 AM   #14
JDupuis

The bottom of the ad claims "original" paint. If so.... Not a bad survivor car. I like to view cars in person before making an offer, I know this is not always possible. But the slant window fordors were well built and desireable. It's your money, and your decision. This car will not depreciate as much as a new car off the lot. In 5, 10, 15 years from now you will still get most of your initial investment back or maybe make a little. But hopefully you would have many happy memories of this vehicle. And you can take the memories to the grave. Jeff

Last edited by JDupuis; 02-04-2017 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Missing words
JDupuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #15
Big hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
I have a Coupe, but I want to add a four door, how does this one look, item #122337851868 Ebay Engine looks tired.
There is a town sedan for sale in the swap meet site, 15,000 and looks real nice.
Greenville Tenn check it out !!!!
Big hammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #16
mike657894

the slant windows must have sold well in 31 for them to switch all the cars to it and trucks a few years later.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 AM   #17
H. L. Chauvin

Hi 1929,

Few things to consider when buying any vintage car which needs restoration:

A. Do you work for minimum wages; or are retired, have little free time, and have no savings; or,

B. Are you someone making more, working or retired, have more free time, with savings; and,

C. With the car in NY, and you in NY, can you visit and test drive this car with or without an experienced Model A person; plus,

D. After considering everyone else's Forum suggestions, lots depends on what is going on in your corner of the U. S.; but, remember:

E. "For many professional appraisers who are requested to estimate "cash" values of anything , many will respond that any item is usually worth only what you can get for it if you try to sell it tomorrow."

Just hope this helps you to feel a little more satisfied if you do buy it.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
redmodelt

Ok so I looked at the car. I am on dial up so could not look at all the photos except the main one. I don't think it looks that bad for a driver/fun car. Are you looking for a fordor to drive as is or restore?
You could be in the same need of repair boat even with a so called restored car. (Brakes, engine etc). Maybe the price is a bit high but if you can get in it and have fun as is, maybe not so bad. People tend to be hot or cold on the slant windshield bodies, myself am more on the cold side but you do have to admit that with the main body mostly steel they do have an advantage. I also suggest if you can, go look at it first, take it for a drive.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Hi 1929,

Few things to consider when buying any vintage car which needs restoration:

A. Do you work for minimum wages; or are retired, have little free time, and have no savings; or,

B. Are you someone making more, working or retired, have more free time, with savings; and,

C. With the car in NY, and you in NY, can you visit and test drive this car with or without an experienced Model A person; plus,

D. After considering everyone else's Forum suggestions, lots depends on what is going on in your corner of the U. S.; but, remember:

E. "For many professional appraisers who are requested to estimate "cash" values of anything , many will respond that any item is usually worth only what you can get for it if you try to sell it tomorrow."

Just hope this helps you to feel a little more satisfied if you do buy it.
After doing all this to my first Model A and completed in one year, I think I went to the Model A college of complete restoration aggravation in one year. I can now recognize much more now then before, and the costs. Thanks H.L.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050275.jpg (49.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg P2090288.jpg (74.1 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg P1050276.jpg (64.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg P1050272.jpg (110.9 KB, 40 views)
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #20
1930artdeco

YES, you do want a Fordor! This one.....maybe. Here is my 2 cents worth. Obviously you need a new interior. But the ad states that it runs and drives well. My first question is that if it runs why is there a tow strap tied to another vehicle? Second the engine looks like it was underwater at some point with all of the rust pitting in the head.

All of that aside, the body seems to be in really good shape, Chassis is an unknown.

Mike