Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #21
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Vehical wheel

Patent 1982377 (with or without an A) is in fact for a wheel, he moves the king pin inside the hub so the center of the tire is in line with the center of the king pin.

"My invention relates to vehicle wheels, the method of mounting thereof and more particularly to the dirigible units of a motor vehicle. "

I see no tool mentioned. Anyone else see any thing in the patent about a tool?
Old 02-03-2017, 06:01 AM   #22
reggiedog

Mike why would you do that what I'm saying here is what would that accomplish by doing that.
Reason being if you have the King Pin out and you are trying to put the tire on the same side your axle would be on the ground with the backing plate and all
reggiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #23
BILL WILLIAMSON

Even IF the axle were bent, the relationship of the king pin to the centerline of the tyre would stay the SAME (I "think")
Bill W.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:22 AM   #24
reggiedog

Yes You are right on that but only to a certain point as that Front axle can't be bent to much or it won't work or even twisted it wouldn't work and this patent number wasn't a tool at all it was just something to help you figure out the measurements of the front axle and nothing else
Old 02-03-2017, 11:38 AM   #25
jimvette59

REGGIEDOG The center of gravity ? What is meant is the line of inclination through the King Pin. Please look up Ackermen as in how the whole thing works.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #26
reggiedog

I did that already as someone else said the same thing you are saying now and I have read all of the directions on the patent as to how to use it and after you read that a few times you kind of get it.

But I get it all now as that is NOT a tool at all it's just something to help you with measurements of the front end of the Model A's but I do know how to use it now I think I wish I could actually get to the front end of my car as that's on one side and the car is on the other side of the garage so I'm just going to save this post so if I do forget how to do it I can always come back to this post.

Thanks Reggiedog
Old 02-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #27
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggiedog View Post
I did that already as someone else said the same thing you are saying now and I have read all of the directions on the patent as to how to use it and after you read that a few times you kind of get it.

But I get it all now as that is NOT a tool at all it's just something to help you with measurements of the front end of the Model A's but I do know how to use it now I think I wish I could actually get to the front end of my car as that's on one side and the car is on the other side of the garage so I'm just going to save this post so if I do forget how to do it I can always come back to this post.

Thanks Reggiedog
Actually, this patent does not tell you how to measure a Model A front end. It describes Dauby's ideas on how to avoid "shimmy" by a total redesign of a solid I-beam axle front end. None of his drawings relate to a Model A except the one he describes as the "old" method, which shows the centerline of the wheel and the centerline of the kingpin at different angles (which he says causes shimmy). So this patent is not at all Model A related, as near as I can tell.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #28
BILL WILLIAMSON

Ackerman angle is interesting, it's engineered into the original geometry design & CAN'T be altered.
Bill Geometry
Old 02-03-2017, 05:43 PM   #29
Bob C

Here is a caster adjustment tool from September 1936 Service Bulletins.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Castertool.jpg.jpg (49.7 KB, 23 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #30
reggiedog

Bob, Now that thing looks like something that would work do you know what the name of it is or the patent number so I can try and find one to buy.

If that is even possiable as that thing looks like it bends the axle as I feel the axle is already bent in that area cause when I don't have the wishbone conected to the transmission it will drop to about 4" off the floor.

But I always thought it was the springs as they would move forward also so I have no clue on that one as to what to do here as would it be the springs moving back and forth when that wishbone is disconected or even conected for that mater.

So what would you think that would be causing that yes the sprng bolt is there and it's tight but it just sits in the square hole as there's nothing holding it there as with the springs itself are only held in place by the "U" bolts that hold the crank in place.

But what the wishbone is conected it doesn't move as much but it will still shimmy as that's what it did the last time I had it together then I re-built the whole front axle and we measured every part to make sure everything was where it should be and it all was.

But I'm just antisapating a problem with it once I get it all back onto the frame and all as of right now it's all together up to the backing plates and that's it brakes are also installed on it.

Reggiedog
Old 02-03-2017, 10:49 PM   #31
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Mike why would you do that what I'm saying here is what would that accomplish by doing that.
Reason being if you have the King Pin out and you are trying to put the tire on the same side your axle would be on the ground with the backing plate and all
His reason is in the patent.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:08 PM   #32
40 Deluxe

Red face Re: Vehical wheel

Quote:
Bob, Now that thing looks like something that would work do you know what the name of it is or the patent number so I can try and find one to buy.

If that is even possiable as that thing looks like it bends the axle as I feel the axle is already bent in that area cause when I don't have the wishbone conected to the transmission it will drop to about 4" off the floor.

But I'm just antisapating a problem with it once I get it all back onto the frame and all as of right now it's all together up to the backing plates and that's it brakes are also installed on it.

Reggiedog
I'd suggest focusing on getting the front end assembled and the car back together. Then on the first nice day take it to a reputable alignment shop and find out exactly how many degrees of caster you actually have. Only then will you know whether you need to bend (or replace) the axle.
A stock front suspension rebuilt with quality parts will automatically have the right amount of caster as there is nothing to adjust (or go out of adjustment) unless, of course, the axle or wishbone is bent. Or, the engine/trans is somehow sitting a couple of inches too high!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote