Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2018, 09:42 AM   #1
davidGR

Default Another Gas Tank and Headlight question

Morning Guys!

Had my Model A up and running this morning before work.

I'm ready to ignite war between 6volters and 12volters
- I do expect I will be doing some driving by night, I know brighter is better, but that then comes with needing to upgrade system, which I heard can be easy and difficult. Does anyone have a photos of 6v vs 12v headlights, I'm waiting on my bulb sockets to come in the mail. What are 6volters who drive at night experience on the road?

Now to the gas tank, how rusty is to rusty? Fun Question right? I debating Tank Sealing now with the kit of MAC'S or waiting until winter. Tank a look at the tank and let me know if you think. The Quality is bad sorry for that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRKD5HUhoqk

Also Gas - What type of gas goes into this guy? Can I use normal unleaded or do I need to use some special classic car lead added gas?

Thanks
davidGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:08 AM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Another Gas Tank and Headlight question

On what gas to use any gas is fine. Some don’t like ethanol but I have never had a problem with it. Your tank does look rusty. I would drain it through a cloth and see how much crud you get out. Also clean all the filters and put a pencil filter in the tank. I have heard some horror stories about the liners. If you’re going that route I would research and get a good product. As for the lights Braxton’s sells new reflectors that everyone says are great. My car has old reflectors and 6 volts. I think they are fine up to about 45-50 MPH. They are focused and adjusted well.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
ryanheacox

My car is 6v and I would say driving at night is fine. Not great but not terrible. Thats with 25w halogens and old incorrectly shaped reflectors. With correctly tooled reflectors from brattons and a proper adjustment I bet the lights will be more than sufficient on 6v.

Low compression combined with relatively soft valve springs means regular unleaded is fine. Lots of rebuilt engines also have hardened valve seats.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #4
RandyinUtah

New reflectors from Brattons and halogen bulbs with six volts is fine on our Model A. My only headache was finding a source selling the correct size 6 volt battery. Had to go to Tractor Supply store to find correct battery. I'msStay with 6 vots as long as I purchase batteries.
RandyinUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #5
mfarley

I run 6v alternator and the 50/32cp headlights from Bert's. I also used silverware polish on the reflectors. People comment on how bright my headlights shine.
mfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
wmws
BANNED

Randy. Do the halogen bulbs take a lot of juice. Do you run a generator with them. I have been thinking of going to LED bulbs so I can run with my lights on all the time. Easier on the generator.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:16 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Get the proper shaped reflectors from Brattons. If yours are chrome they are misshapen reproduction's. Brattons has the correct shape and are aluminum coated like that use in telescopes and modern headlights. These with the properly shaped filaments in the bulbs and focused will give ample usable light.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:22 AM   #8
aermotor

I have Brattons reflectors and Fun Projects regulator. All the light I need with original 6 volts and no 3 rd brush adjusting needed to change charge rate.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:47 AM   #9
GerryAllen

I have 6 volt with an alternator, my lights are bright enough. The key is driving at 40-45 and they are OK. I have bright reflectors in the head light, I am quite pleased.
What I would suggest is drive your car and do required maintenance for a few thousand miles, then prioritize the items that must be done and would be nice to do.
Gerry Birch Bay Wa
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 AM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

What your video does not show is the underside of the tank behind the baffles. In my experience, that is where the rust will be. If it is rusting now, it will only get worse.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #11
jhowes

A comment on the gas. When the model A was new there was no lead in the gas. That came into being when the compression ratio began to rise in the engines of the late 30's and early 40's. If you can avoid the crap gas of today and get straight gas I advise doing it. People run standard pump gas in their A's all the time with no problem. Hardened valve seats is another bogus idea. It wasn't there in 1930 so why now?
Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #12
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyinUtah View Post
New reflectors from Brattons and halogen bulbs with six volts is fine on our Model A. My only headache was finding a source selling the correct size 6 volt battery. Had to go to Tractor Supply store to find correct battery. I'msStay with 6 vots as long as I purchase batteries.
Randy, Do you have a Batteries Plus Bulbs https://www.batteriesplus.com/store-...utah&lat=&lng= near you. They carry Duracell Group 1 6v batteries. https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli1

Last edited by Ruth; 08-11-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #13
28Ca8149

Putt some small nuts in the tank and shake it by putting it in a vehicle and drive on some wash board road. Then treat it with gas tank liner .available from n most old car dealers
28Ca8149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:17 AM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28Ca8149 View Post
Putt some small nuts in the tank and shake it by putting it in a vehicle and drive on some wash board road. Then treat it with gas tank liner .available from n most old car dealers

Surely you are suggesting this 'tongue in cheek' aren't you?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi David,

As posted previously, lead additive not needed. If concerned add Marvel Mystery Oil or 2 cycle oil to the gas to provide additional top end lubrication. Also may help prevent rust in the tank.
I like to run the last 2 tanks of the season ethanol free, fill close to top (leave a little room at the top for gas expansion) and add stabilizer for storage. I also like to add Seafoam infrequently.

Rust in the tank. Good way of inspection - remove Gas Shutoff valve, inspect with borescope through the gas shutoff hole and through the filler neck.
I am going to remove the Sediment Bulb Screen and add a paper filter. I keep getting stuff in the cab that is getting by the Pencil filter, bulb screen and the carb filter.
Rust Removal - lots of methods on the barn. Including removing Tank. Using Rust911 or evaporust, or thermocure. Or something acidic like white vinegar or commercial rust remover. Additionally some rig the tank up to a motor to rotate the tank during treatment, or there are manual methods. If you do acidic, final treatment with a neutralizer is necessary.
Sealing - not sure of what is recommended, some have concerns about aging sealer peeling off. Seems a lot of this was older applications before ethanol, and the old sealants were not compatible with ethanol. You may want to research this carefully before sealing.

I am staying 6 v positive ground with generator. I use a battery that is oversize, because it is easily available locally. Made by own hold down bracket. Can't see it anyway.

Head/Tail lamps. LED conversion is plug and play. Available in 6 V positive ground. I have converted my stop/taillight and it is much brighter. You could convert to Dual stop/tail. Or there is a bar conversion that mounts in your rear window. Am currently researching LED headlights, there is I have seen concern about being able to aim them properly. I believe there is also a smaller diameter pulley available so generator will run faster at lower speeds, supposed to help with low speed driving.

The other posts are also good options. Many ways to get desired results.

How about updating us on how things are going?
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #16
Drive Shaft Dave

If you put in sealer there will come a day you wish you hadn't.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote