Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-10-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Birchwood

Default removing old grease

I recently bought a 30 tudor that had sit for a good while. I got it running good and took it out for a test run, everything is extremely stiff the steering, the clutch and transmission. I am assuming it is old grease any help would be appreciated on grease removal and or advice.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #2
J Franklin

Default Re: removing old grease

Change all the fluids and grease all the zirks. Only give a few shots to the ones on the rear axle. On all the rest push grease until all the old has exited. This pushes out the old and gives new grease to all the pivot points.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
runewilliam_merc

If you add new grease, it will lube and dissolve the old grease. Next time you add new grease, it will push the mix of nearly new grease and old grease out.

Rune from Norway
runewilliam_merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
ryanheacox

I agree with the others, just do a lube job. The only thing is if the fittings refuse to take grease you'll have to pull them, pick out the old grease and then reinstall the fitting.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:45 PM   #5
redmodelt

Depending on how leaky the steering box might be, it gets the same lube as rear end and transmission, not grease.

Last edited by redmodelt; 03-10-2020 at 11:58 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:44 PM   #6
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If you have a grease zerk that will not take grease, there is a hand held devise that you fill with penitrating oil, put it on the zerk, and hit it with a hammer, the presure from hitting the devise is supposed to push the old grease out.

But if it is hard as a rock...forget it.

I do not think it is set up for cone zerks...Just the modern ones with a ball on the end.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 06:46 AM   #7
David R.

Many moons ago when I made my living as a truck mechanic, I had a rule: when a fitting wouldn't take grease, replace the zerk. If it still didn't take grease, tear it down and repair, most often this meant new spring shackle pins and bushings. My uncle, who used to run a service station taught me to grease with gun in one hand and rag in the other. Grease till you see new grease, than wipe all the grease you see off. It is a dirt magnet.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 03:30 PM   #8
Birchwood

Thanks for the advice, I will try each till I find one that works. the steering box does have grease in it, Im told some people did this when the box started to leak so I will need to address that. It has the old push in grease fittings and some dont feel to tight I ordered a adapter for the grease gun to fit these but so far I have not been able to get them to accept grease, but I will clean them out and keep trying. THANKS AGAIN
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:15 PM   #9
Joe K

The original "Alemite" grease zerks are not well serviced by modern grease guns, or even their "adapter nozzles." The original alemite guns relied in large part upon the "hand pressure" of the gun greasing it, both to introduce the grease AND to hold the press-in alemite fitting in place.

Using a modern type gun with an alemite conversion tip you may find you push the alemite fitting out into your hand. Sometimes using a modern gun its hard to present enough hand pressure. The alemite fitting will conveniently drop on the floor attached to a gob of grease, pick up dirt, and make more work for you to clean it before re-installation.

I have used the conversion fittings on a "grease gun hose" and had better luck. Greasing becomes a "two handed affair" with one hand on the end of the hose fitting and the other on the pump handle of the gun. Usually grabbed like you would a teddy-bear as you lay on your back under the car.

The same "press-in" fitting design of the Model A when converted to modern true "Zerk fitting" have the same "put out" issue - but at least these don't drop on the floor - you find them snapped into the Zerk Gun.

Some like the conversion fittings. I didn't.

Hope this helps.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-12-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #10
redmodelt

To add; Not all the original grease fitting had check valves, so sometimes you will see grease coming back out some of the fittings.