Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
walkerlakeprinter

Default More mystery holes

There are holes in the metal panel above the windshield on my 1929 Special Coupe. Does anyone have an idea what they might have been used for?

I've taken all the deteriorated wood out of my car. The only solid wood left is both door posts. The fun continues!

I am searching for replacement metal for the curved pieces above the doors. The driver's side is ok, but the passenger side was cobbled together from maybe a tudor piece sometime in the past 90 years. I checked with Bert's but no luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holes.jpg (37.1 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Roof parts needed.jpg (50.7 KB, 54 views)
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: More mystery holes

The windshield wiper is normally mounted to the windshield frame but someone likely tried to mount an aftermarket type. Most of the older 28 & 29 cars had electric wipers. The little holes closer to center were likely added. Some folks put in electric & vacuum operated fans. It's probably not unusual for folks to try and alter the 2-door sedan curved front roof pieces to fit a coupe since they are available or at least they used to be. A lot of little parts go into setting up a coupe roof for the 28/29 models. The compound curved front roof panels are difficult to form if you start from scratch. Find someone who is trying to turn a coupe into a roadster type coupster may have parts. Keep an eye on the swap meet sites and one may show up.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-26-2019 at 06:23 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Don Turley

The holes in the panel above the windshield frame are not original to the car. They were put there by some previous owner. The original windshield wiper was attached to the windshield frame, just above the glass.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
walkerlakeprinter

I figured as much. After 90 years, there are many mystery holes in my car. I found a diagram of how the original holes for a 1929 were in the windshield frame. I have those, plus one extra hole a little to the right and slightly above when looking at it from the front. I was thinking maybe it was put there for a manual wiper sometime in the past.
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #5
rotorwrench

Since the windshield hinges out forward, all the wipers were mounted to the windshield frame but you never know what owners did to them. I just weld them up where they don't belong.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Don Turley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Since the windshield hinges out forward, all the wipers were mounted to the windshield frame but you never know what owners did to them. I just weld them up where they don't belong.

Most, but not all windshield wipers were mounted on the upper windshield frame. The windshield wiper motor on the 1931 Slant Windshield Sedans mounts inside the car, on the header above the windshield. The wiper motor shaft sticks through the header and the spring loaded wiper arm is attached on the outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 160B wiper.jpg (42.9 KB, 16 views)
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote