Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
throwback

Default need help on startin 36 flathead after setting for a month of two

Need help getting 36 stock flathead started!!! I kept the battery on a trickle charger. Sprayed some starting fluid in the carburetor. It only sputter a little. Sprayed some more starting fluid and sputter a little more. Poured some gas in the carb and it ran until the gas in the carb was used. Does the fuel pump need to be primed? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #2
danliveshere

Default Re: need help on startin 36 flathead after setting for a month of two

Unscrew your fuel fitting at the carb. Is the pump supplying fuel? If not you have to find the fault. Pump not pumping, or fuel line blocked, or no gas in the tank?
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
BrianCT

Had the same problem. It was a cracked flex line . Could not see it but after pump checked out I disconnected the flex line and found that it would not hold vacuum.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
G.M.

Sounds like the flex line to me. This new fuel eats the old flex hoses. Sometimes you can feel the hose is soft after it is run a while. They suck air but it is hard to detect a wet spot on them because the fuel is being sucked through it, it's not like a pressure line such as the line from the pump to the carb where if the fittings leak you see gas. Bob Shewman make high quality flex hoses that will last as long as you own the car. He makes two types.One is like the stock flex hose and the other has a check valve built into the hex fitting end of the hose that screws into the fuel pump. Looks like the stock fitting but is about 3/8" longer. This valve stops the fuel from draining out of the pump back to the tank. This is what causes hard starting when the engine sits for a while. Contact Bob [email protected] for pictures and details. He has an add in the Early Ford V/8 magazine. G.M.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:58 AM   #5
37 Coupe

You probably only have the problem of no fuel in carb after sitting that long. Wheter it is the carb itself leaking down or this ethanol alcohol dehydrating I don't know but this seems to be a lot more common now. Just pull out choke and crank it or get an electric fuel pump to prime it,thats what I am doing.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Shadetree

I never start my car from the time I park it for the winter until spring. Unless you run it long enough to get rid of all condensation, I feel it does more harm than good. I am anxious to see how mine starts next spring. I have a newly rebuilt Stromberg 97, a new Robert Shewman Flex Hose with a check valve and a new fuel pump. Before I have had to hand choke it to get it running for the first time in the spring. I have always suspected my old fuel pump sticking with the arm in the up position. Sometimes it would fall on its face while going down the road like it was out of gas. By choking it and pumping the accelerator it would come back to life and run well. Since I changed everything out this hasn't happened.

Shadetree