Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #1
RTPbee81

Default NC? Request for Antique Vehicle exam

Looking for some insight from fellow North Carolinians. I just tranferred a Wisconsin title to North Carolina, now I have to get a Vehicle exam done by the DMV..

What should I expect and be ready for? Not aware of any mechanical issue's just wondering what happens during this process...

thx
RTPbee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: NC? Request for Antique Vehicle exam

I haven't had one myself, but from what I hear the point of it is to deter fraud. They will be very interested in the VIN you're proposing for it, where that VIN is stamped on the car, if there are any other numbers stamped on the car/engine, etc.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
d.

I had one...guy from DMV came out to my house, looked at the car, took a photo of the motor # and a rubbing...2 weeks later I got the title in the mail.
All in all, pretty low key, probably took 20 minutes.
d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
George Miller

I had them out a few of times. they just want to make sure the numbers are right for the car. If there is a problem you might have to get a bond to cover the car. I think for 7 years. I had to a couple of times. It was not a problem. They were always real nice.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #5
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPbee81 View Post
Looking for some insight from fellow North Carolinians. I just tranferred a Wisconsin title to North Carolina, now I have to get a Vehicle exam done by the DMV..

What should I expect and be ready for? Not aware of any mechanical issue's just wondering what happens during this process...

thx

When we moved to NC 27 years ago they were not doing the (come out and look) Now they want the engine number to match the title. I have a B motor and there isn't a number on the motor it's on the flywheel housing. I can stamp one on the motor as the pad is there. They don't understand that very few shops stamped the number on a rebuild (better do it now as it will save you a lot of time). I'm working on a car now that was in the family for years, but has had the motor changed and they inherited it and want to sell it. Now they have to go through the process and will likely stall the sale. If it has been in the family for years (even though another state) it should be waved? But that's what were dealing with. Just what I've seen.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Additionally you could try going on line, or perhaps call the DMV and ask. It may be different in N.C. but in Wisconsin the bonded title period is 3 years. Then the DMV automatically sends you a clear title, have been through the process in WI on my A.

It gets messy if they insist on seeing or seeing a tracing of the frame # since the body has to be lifted, and sometimes the # is gone or illegible.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Mulletwagon

Might check out the stamp sets at Harbor Freight. Just saying .....
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #8
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post

Very bad advice!!!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #9
rotorwrench

If I was ever going to stamp one, I would at least look for stamps with the original font style and size. I'm not a fan of the Chicom stuff. Stamping stuff can get a person into trouble.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #10
RTPbee81

This car was actually titled in Wisconsin and went through the bonded process there, just had to get them to update the Wisconsin title since the hard copy didn't match the one in the system, Engine # is visible and matches the title I'm transferring so hopefully no bonded period here
RTPbee81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:36 PM   #11
ronn

It gets messy if they insist on seeing or seeing a tracing of the frame # since the body has to be lifted, and sometimes the # is gone or illegible.

stamp a piece of oak- do your rubbing- have it handy. yawn............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 07:45 PM   #12
denis4x4

Screwing around with re-stamping a frame or a wood block for a tracing is flat ass illegal. I have two frames with VIN numbers that have been verified by a LEO. Cost $25 each and can be used to register the finished car at a later date.

Last edited by denis4x4; 11-09-2019 at 07:55 PM.
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:28 PM   #13
30 Closed Cab PU

Issue with cheating is it may not be an issue right away, but if you sell it, and the new owner discovers it or has to verify it for retitling.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
thom

We bought our Model T three years ago from someone in TN so it had to be inspected by the NCDMV. No big deal. A young lady came to the house, looked at the numbers on the engine then punched a few keys on her lap-top and told me my title would be in the mail.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:43 PM   #15
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
If I was ever going to stamp one, I would at least look for stamps with the original font style and size. I'm not a fan of the Chicom stuff. Stamping stuff can get a person into trouble.
Check out this guy -- he often has a listing for the correct stamps in the Swap Meet

Mark Eckerich
S. 12119 Spotted Road
Cheney, WA 99004

Phone is 509-981-0257
email is [email protected]
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
Grier

I had to do this for my Phaeton. The title had a Washington State assigned VIN. I choose to get the VIN off of the frame which did not match the engine or Washington VIN. I believed it was better to get the right VIN number on the title once and for all. So I lifted that side of the body off to search for the number and was lucky enough to be able to photograph it. I made an appointment with the NC DMV and they came out to inspect it (while the body was lifted). Depending on your agent that comes out will depend on whether they are knowledgeable enough about Model A’s. My agent did know enough about Model A’s to know where the VIN number was supposed to be and knew that the engines sometimes don’t match the frame. So you take your chances if you rely solely on the engine number.
I had to get a bond for three years, but it is worth it to me to know that my title is all legit and correct.
Grier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #17
larry harding

i think n.c. has a decent system for retitling old vehicles. i've done two motorcycles and two cars. you print out the forms from ncdmv if i remember correctly. fill ,out those forms. get an indemnity bond from your ins. guy, a highway patrol guy has to come verify you have an actual vehicle and not a pile of parts for a future project. they are real nit picky about crossing the t's and doting the i's. at best you will make at least two trips to the tag office(i
think they just like running you around for fun.) when i did my a filling out the forms as truthfully as i could, oh! that won't work, so i made up; something more to their liking and got m y title in a coup;e of weeks. i'v heard horror stories from people in other states where the state just didn't want to title these older cars. don't even try one of those shady title outfits in alabama ,
las vegas or other places. not accepted in n.c. any more.
larry harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #18
Chris in WNC

Make certain your engine # matches the one on the title and it should be a quick/smooth process.

If not, re-stamp the engine block and distress it so the stamping looks old before calling the DMV officer out.

I've had this inspection done on 3 different cars without any problems.