Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #1
DC 69

Question Shock Install Help

I have a 1929 CCPU. I bought a shock kit with original tubular links (Bratton's #24840). I was able to install the rear shocks without any issues. I found that pressing the shock arm ball joint into the tubular link with a "C-Clamp" worked well (put painters tape to protect paint on arm & link).

I ran into a couple of issues when trying to install the front shocks.
1. With shock mounted on frame, the shock arm and links do not line up and can't install ball joints into link.
2. There are 4 holes (2 sets) in the frame that line up with the shock mounting holes/bolts. Which holes do I use to mount the shock? Closest to axle or furthest from axle? Closest holes places link in vertical position; furthest holes flattens link angle.

To install front shocks, I removed tires and placed jack stands under axle. Does this not allow for enough room to connect link & arm? Should I put stands under frame? Leave tires on?

I've found alot of great info from this group. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Last edited by DC 69; 05-25-2017 at 12:26 AM.
DC 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
A31Woody

Default Re: Shock Install Help

I had mine on jack stands when I did mine. The trick for me was to not tighten the shocks all the way until the links were attached. More info: http://www.a31woody.com/2017/02/inst...s-was.html?m=1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
1955cj5

I also have a 29 ccpu and I added shocks about a year ago. My truck also had 4 holes in each frame rail.

The picture shows where I mounted mine....

And it looks like I had the jack stands under the frame, with the floor jack supporting the axle, so the axle could be raised or lowered as needed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010136.JPG (163.1 KB, 181 views)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
DC 69

Question Re: Shock Install Help

Thanks for the help Gentlemen!

All shocks installed. Placing jack stands under frame allowed for enough room to align tubular link & arm. Stands under front axle compressed the spring, which didn't allow room to align parts. I used a floor jack to raise/lower axle to align parts.

Right front link is vertical, but left link has slight angle. Looks like the axle may be shifted to the left side. Would it be a big job to correct axle position?
Old 05-27-2017, 10:54 AM   #5
WHN

How much of a difference in the front shock angle? How does car drive down the road with the new shocks? Front spring condition? Wish bone?
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Is the front spring center bolt broken?? Is the bolt head in the hole in the frame??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
DC 69

Shock linkage alignment update: I recently installed new front & rear spring shackles. I also removed front & rear springs to inspect/clean/paint/lube.

When I removed the front spring, I found I had a rod (that might have had a head) in the center hole, not a threaded center bolt. When I removed the spring from the cross member, the rod fell out, along with what I believe was the rod head (looked like a rock). The spring was being held together by the clips.

After I put the spring assembly together with new clips & center bolt, the center bolt head fit right in the cross member hole. This correctly positioned my front spring, which properly aligned the front shock linkage.

Issued resolved: Such a big difference and smoother ride since doing this work.