Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-29-2019, 10:00 PM   #1
andrewsheldon

Default Mikes model A ford parts

Anybody have issues with Mikes Model A Ford parts in GA? I put in an order well over a week ago and it has not shipped, they keep telling me they are waiting for 1 part. Why would they hold the whole order for 1 part? should be simple so i thought it was a crab rebuild kit and a few small items. At this point I don't think I could recommend them. It will be a long time before I order from them again.
andrewsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:11 PM   #2
DannL

Default Re: Mikes model A ford parts

I ordered a short pitman arm, but they needed to wait several days to a week for it to come in. When asked, I told them it was fine to ship everything together when the arm came in. Since mine has 101 other things that needed to be worked on . . . I try to keep the parts flow constant from several vendors, including Mike's.
DannL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:29 PM   #3
Dick Steinkamp

If you expect any vendor to have absolutely every part in stock 100% of the time you are sorely mistaken.

If you change vendors for something as petty as this you will go through all the Model A vendors in short order.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:29 AM   #4
Bill G

I have had nothing but good results from Mikes.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 03:03 AM   #5
dave in australia

They will probably ship in two lots if you're willing to pay two shipment costs. If you were only charged for one shipping, then they will wait for the full order before sending.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:04 AM   #6
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Nothing but good results.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
Werner

Good results in two times this year.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
TZBrown

I've always had good results from Mike's. If they don't have all of the order they always call and let me know, and ask if I want to wait or ship what they have. Sometimes the extra shipment is charged shipping but mostly not.
TZBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
desotoguy

Always a good vendor for Model A parts.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
TerryO

Quote:
I've always had good results from Mike's. If they don't have all of the order they always call and let me know, and ask if I want to wait or ship what they have. Sometimes the extra shipment is charged shipping but mostly not

This has been my experience the couple of times they were out of stock on an item. Always had great service from Mike and his crew.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 AM   #11
31 ford

MIKES is a great supplier. I have had no issues. If they do not have the complete order, i have received a call and given a choice to ship the partial or wait for order to be completed. Model A Ford owners are fortunate Mikes Model A Ford parts are there when we call for a part !
31 ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:33 AM   #12
Gold Digger

I've done business with Mike's for 7 or 8 years and have never been disappointed in service or quality. I can say that about some of the others.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
37 Coupe

I will have to give Mikes a try just to spread the wealth around. A couple weeks ago I had a rather large order that would have cost me an additional $40.00 + dollars if given to Snyders for Ohio tax so I opted for Brattons that like Snyders ship Fedex next day delivery for ground price. I always feel guilty doing that because Snyders is so good or have been to me but $40.. dollars is one part price. So I had an issue with the one item I bought the Taiwan made luggage rack,wood slats were all damaged look like someone to a ball peen to them.So I contact Brattons and as usual they take my word for it with no proof or return needed because of shipping and tell me they will send all new wood slats but thy will be sent by the luggage rack supplier.I said you mean I will have to wait to get them from Taiwan United Pacific? She said "Oh no the supplier is in Ohio" Next day I get them from Snyders. I guess they all work together and I actually probably got stuff from Snyders without tax. I did order a rebuilt brake cross shaft from Snyders and it is very nice,plus new repro brake rods all worth the tax money. Some parts are the same some are different Brattons list Deluxe roadster winsgield frame already drilled and tapped for snap fittings Snyders do not list holes tapped same price.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #14
alexiskai

I do think it's a valid comment on all the mail-order vendors in this hobby to note that they mostly do not update their online catalogs to reflect that a part is out of stock. They tend to only update when a part is on back-order and not likely to arrive any time soon.

I get that this is more of a traditional way of doing things – it wasn't too long ago that you ordered by mailing in a form with the part numbers and your credit card number. But for younger folks who are accustomed to newer e-commerce practices, where the online catalog is synchronized with the vendor's inventory system and the expectation is that you would get free shipping if an item needed to ship separately, it just takes some getting used to.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
walkerlakeprinter

I've been buying parts from Mike's for more than 10 years without a problem. They are very good about advising when a part is on back order. Quick shipping was hardly ever an option when I was growing up in Alaska. Our freight came in once a month on Alaska Steamship Company vessels. If it wasn't on this boat, it HAD to be on the next one! I had a printing shop and had to plan my inventory for a month at a time. Now I can order paper and have it the next day. I think I preferred the slower pace back in the day.....kind of like wishing all the roads could be happy with me toodling along at 45 in my Model A.
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 04:56 PM   #16
Ted Duke

Having owned a small retail business, having been a commissioned sales rep for 19 years, I have a comment about suppliers:
IF you must have it NOW, call a check stock.
If you DON'T want it back-ordered put NO BACKORDERS in comments.
If you aren't happy email or call THEM and bitch.
No business is perfect.
None of us is perfect.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #17
copgib

I have ordered many items over the year from Mike's with excellent service. Mike usually will call you and let you know if there is an item he has to order. He has never left me hanging and has called me a few times when the part I order wasn't in stock. Hugh
copgib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #18
GPierce

Mike’s has always called me in that situation and asked me if wanted a partial shipment or wait until they can fulfill the whole order. They have always been great to work with.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 06:30 PM   #19
miff

Buying from Mike since the early 90s. Very helpful ,great `people to work with.
miff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:28 PM   #20
Bob/AZ

Count me as a satisfied customer of Mike's for many years. First class operation IMO. When I finished my last restoration they even bought back a lot of unopened small parts.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote