Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #21
katy

Default Re: Pulled over by the Police!

Back in the mid '50s I was driving a Model T coupe, mid summer, windows open, when a fellow pulled up alongside me and hollered over "what kind of car is that?", "Model T" I replied, he yelled back "I know what kind it is, I want to know what make it is", "Ford" I said, "thanks" he said and drove off.
I assume he called all old cars Model Ts, not realizing that Model Ts were specific to Ford.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #22
rfitzpatrick

Has anyone actually received a ticket? Parking maybe?
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:36 AM   #23
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Back in the mid '50s I was driving a Model T coupe, mid summer, windows open, when a fellow pulled up alongside me and hollered over "what kind of car is that?", "Model T" I replied, he yelled back "I know what kind it is, I want to know what make it is", "Ford" I said, "thanks" he said and drove off.
I assume he called all old cars Model Ts, not realizing that Model Ts were specific to Ford.
I think I met that fellow once. He said his uncle used to have cars like my model A, but his were Whippet Overland. When they were worn out he would cut the back of the bodies off and make Model T Fords out of them for use on the farm.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:34 AM   #24
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanspeed View Post
“I got out of the car” lol. In the states that is a big no no.
I live in rural France, a world away from the America I see on television. Being English I still find it strange that the police here carry guns, that is something you never saw when I lived on the other side of the Channel.

I must point out that when I have visited the USA I found the people very welcoming, very different to the picture so often shown on TV series and films.

Last edited by Cornishman; 07-30-2019 at 02:48 AM.
Cornishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:40 AM   #25
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner View Post
Yes of course.
A lovely car, they are a fairly common sight around here if course but every time I think about getting a friend for my Model A that’s what is at the top of the list.

I know your home area really well, I spent literally half my life in Germany mainly around Heinsberg.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:47 AM   #26
Cornishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
A couple of years back I was travelling with a friend along the highway on the way to a meet. My friend who was ahead of me called me up on the two-way radio and said I should watch my speed unless I wanted a picture taken as there was a police Radar speed camera ahead. I jokingly replied that it was my lifelong ambition to get a speeding ticket in my Model A. Almost immediately a stern Police voice came over the radio and said "I can oblige if you like" I politely declined his offer and wished him a good day.
I suspect he had a good chuckle as we did.
About 18 months ago they reduced the speed limit on all my main roads in France to 80 kmh, 50 mph. For the first time I could exceed the national speed limit in my A. At about the same time I was going through the process to exchange my British driving licence for a French permis de conduire, something that was taking over 18 months to complete. The way to fast track your application was to commit a driving offence that got you more than one point on your licence. I did consider using the Model A to speed up the process but luckily common sense won.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:08 AM   #27
Richard in Anaheim CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfitzpatrick View Post
Has anyone actually received a ticket? Parking maybe?
Yes, I live near Disneyland and there is an on ramp to the 5 fwy with a greater than 90 * angle. It was once a legal turn on computer directions from both directions but local law put some bumps down the middle of the street and prohibited the turn from one direction.

I was heading to a Saturday seminar in my 30 Sport Coupe and looked down the on ramp which appeared to be unsupervised, made an illegal U'turn and down the ramp I went picking up speed to merge with traffic. UH OH. I wasn't alone. Those 2 motor cycles didn't appear in my line of sight.

I was pulled over, asked for license and registration and written up. Not a comment on the car or a pleasant word from the officer. I don't approach that turn from that direction any more.

The second time I was pulled over by a highway patrol man on a motor cycle complete with crash helmet, dark glasses, high leather boots, the works. I pulled into a parking lot and he followed. Seems he wanted to look at the car and talk. I got a classic picture of him with foot on running board, faking writing a ticket. I wish I knew how to post that picture.
Richard in Anaheim CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:18 AM   #28
SSsssteamer

While in the Marine Corps and stationed at 29 Palms, CA, in 1966, I licensed our 1930 CCPU with California plates. Years later, after I returned home to Washington, I was pulled over because my California plates had expired. The State patrolman wrote me out a ticket for not having re-licensed my Model A with Washington plates within the 30 day time limit. Cost me about $45. I have been pulled over many times since with no tickets written. Tail light too dim. Blue dot tail light lenses not legal. Too much exhaust smoke, but that last one was with our steam car.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
JTW

Two police stories. My father used to borrow my 29 closed cab pick-up truck to give his friends a ride. One day when he parked in town on Main Street, sitting and watching people and talking to his friend in the truck, a car backed into the parking place in front of them. This car miss-judged distance and banged into the truck front bumper, or maybe should say " bounced off the Model A bumper,"(no damage except scraped silver paint). However,it made quite a noise,so within minutes a policeman arrived. The officer did not go over to the car with the dented back end parked in front of my truck and was half in/half out of the parking spot. Instead he asked my father, "How's the brakes"? After a long pause my father told him, "The brakes are fine. Go check the other drivers eyesight".
The other story. Late one night I was putting along at 40 mph on a long straight section of road and the blue lights came on. Well I wasn't doing anything wrong, the lights all worked fine, I am 15 mph under, the only problem was the 8 cans of beer in the seat and I was 17 . I let off on the gas a little and started cramming them down the small space between the top of the seat and the storage pockets on the side panel behind the doors. One side was filled, so then I had to reach over and fill the passenger side - thank Ford for the small window in the back. That job finished, I pulled over and stopped. He came up with the flash light and said "it took you over a half of a mile to stop. "Hows the brakes"? This is really a lame, but I answered that I don't like to wear them out unnecessarily so when possible I coast a lot, and seeing how I wasn't doing anything wrong, and the road was long and wide, I coasted to a stop. He stared at me for a bit, and l stared back, didn't scowl, and didn't blink. The officer shined the light in the little empty cab and told me he thought the tail light was dim but now he could see that it was original so everything was alright. "Well, it is late. Get home safe."
Old 07-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #30
FrankWest

The ultimate compliment is to get a speeding ticket in your model A.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:35 PM   #31
Synchro909

In 2015, as we drove through Perth on our way to the National Meet at Busselton, we were travelling on a "freeway. We were towing a camper and friends were in their '29 Tudor which he drove at just about 50 mph (80 kph) They were pulled up by the police for travelling too slow. Seems in that state, there is a minimum speed on busy roads! No ticket but "Hurry it up a bit, will you." They paid no attention to me. Phew!
On another occassion, we had borrowed a car for a rally in New Zealand. I didn't want to give a borrowed car a hard time so I kept the speed down. We had been travelling for a while and there were a few cars behind me so I was looking for somewhere to pull off so they could overtake me. When we were within a couple of miles of our turnoff, I stopped looking because we would be out of their way soon anyway. A cop car pulled in behind me and pulled me over. He wanted to know why I wasn't letting the other cars go by. We were so close to our turn exit by then that we could see it. When I explained where we were going to exit, he threw his arms in the air and said something about a waste of time!
Old 08-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #32
Juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
The ultimate compliment is to get a speeding ticket in your model A.
I got one. It was 35 in a 30 though

My Dad's pickup. Top speed 35

Ach
Juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #33
dennis lumbert

Great looking Tudor.Welcome to the barn. Dennis
dennis lumbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 PM   #34
Dirtrack49

Got pulled over in a 1947 Ford Pickup for going to slow and weaving in my lane.
Told the Sheriff that if he could hold a better lane and go any faster with the old worm gear steering and that tired old engine, I would gladly take a ticket.
He gave me a warning and let me go.
Seems I ran into him several more times in the small town I lived in. We just waved at each other and smiled as we went away on our separate ways.
Tom L.
Dirtrack49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #35
BillEbob

So a friend of mine with a Model T doctor’s coupe was trucking down the road at 25 mph when he was stopped by a cop. Cop asked him if he knew how fast he was going. No sir, I don’t. I have no speedometer! Cop was incredulous until he looked inside. He was doing 25 mph in a 20 mph zone! lol

Last edited by BillEbob; 08-01-2019 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Spelling
BillEbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #36
pbishop

Was driving home one night on deserted county road and got pulled over by sheriff for having only one taillight on my partially restored coupe. I explained that it was standard equipment (1931). He accepted that.

BUT, I had my little boys with me (5 & 3) 'without' seatbelts. Sheriff looked at me and said, " I guess that seat belts were optional."

I said, "No, they did not exist." He snickered and said, "Well, they do now so get them in this car."

He let me go, but put the boys in his cruiser and then followed me the next seven miles home. I deserved a ticket and should have had to leave the car on the side of the road (at the very least).

My boys were not only safe, they were in heaven riding in the police car. When we arrived at the farm the sheriff turned on his lights and sounded the siren.You never saw two little boys more excited. Now in their thirties, my boys still talk about that experience.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 03:04 AM   #37
Dick Carne

I recall having been pulled over early one evening a few years back for only having one tail light on my '28 roadster (it still has the original fender brace/rear step plate bracket, and will not allow placement of a matching after-market right "drum tail light" set-up). Thankfully Georgia requires that cars only meet the safety features of their year of production, so after a brief conversation along those lines, I was allowed to continue on my way. I've been stopped several other times over the years for various reasons, but more often than not it seems that the police have been more interested in taking a closer look than in any infraction.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #38
updraught

Just in case anyone was wondering about speed cameras in the US and why they haven't taken off. This was reported here about Redflex the camera maker.

"While Australian motorists grumble about copping a speeding or red-light camera fines, they generally pay up without further remonstration. But not so in the US, where camera citations are viewed as unAmerican and increasingly are being banned by governments or subject to adverse court judgments. The backlash has been an increasing headache for traffic camera maker and operator Redflex, which derives close to half of its revenue from the US.
In May, the Texan government in effect banned traffic cameras. Redflex said the Lone Star state accounted for 13 per cent of its total half-year revenue in the first (December) half – which implies $7.4m – adding the ban would “materially” affect financial performance.
In July Arizona’s El Mirage city council turned off its speed cameras, in favour of employing extra cops to dish out the fines personally.
Given the solid evidence that traffic cameras save lives, the authorities’ actions seem retrograde. But a big difference between here and the US is that police chief are elected and thus behoven to popular opinion."
https://www.sharecafe.com.au/2019/08...-love-to-hate/
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #39
Forddan

Now i understan why I do not see street cameras flashing like when I was living in Belgium.

This year, we meet in a shopping center to start the tour. Around 20 Model As . When we all start to leave, there was a Stop sign at the exit of the shopping center. There was traffic and the first 2 cars where able to enter the route fast. But we have to start stopping at the side to wait the others. Fortunately, a police car was just passing and from distance saw the issue. So he stopped the car in the middle of the route at the stop sign with all his lights on and allowed all the Model As to pass one after the other. In that way, he helped us to keep the tour all together and to avoid a potential accident with the crazy drivers that do not care of us.

The policeman was a gentleman. Kudos to him !!!

At the same time I am 100% sure he was very happy to be at the correct time and place to see all the beautiful As passing in front of him using their Horns as a "Thank you !!"

Best !!
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #40
Bob Bidonde

Ooops! Caught on candid camera!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06212014_172740_2124_2_66_56_1I1.jpg (108.3 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 06212014_172741_2124_2_67_56_2I2.jpg (115.2 KB, 49 views)