Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
GasWorksGarage

Default 52 Ford COE generator question.

hello all,
we got in a 52 COE V-8 the belt is off the water pumps and generator .My question is how do you adjust the belt tension? It has to be with the generator but I must be missing something. Its a little tight up there by the way.

Thanks in advance.
GasWorksGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: 52 Ford COE generator question.

there is a large bolt (7/8) and two smaller ones (9/16) located on the fan to engine bracket--loosen the two smaller bolts and let the fan drop down. loosen the larger bolt and that will let the gen drop down=put on the water pump/ gen belt, pull/pry up on gen to tighten, then put fan belt on and pull/pry up fan assembly and then re-tighten the two smaller bolts
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
there is a large bolt (7/8) and two smaller ones (9/16) located on the fan to engine bracket--loosen the two smaller bolts and let the fan drop down. loosen the larger bolt and that will let the gen drop down=put on the water pump/ gen belt, pull/pry up on gen to tighten, then put fan belt on and pull/pry up fan assembly and then re-tighten the two smaller bolts
Thanks, since the fan belt is on do I still need to loosen the 9/16 bolts and drop the fan or can i just try to loosen the 7/8 and drop then generator?
It almost appears that I need to pull the radiator to do this?
Old 05-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
alanwoodieman

yes you will need to loosen the two bolts, dropping the whole bracket will be fun and you cannot properly adjust the belts. no but it is close to do the job
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 02:45 PM   #5
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwoodieman View Post
yes you will need to loosen the two bolts, dropping the whole bracket will be fun and you cannot properly adjust the belts. no but it is close to do the job
Thanks for the info, I am pulling the radiator anyway since its a barn find and last tagged in 78.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
GasWorksGarage

Hello,

I am not getting power from battery to ignition switch so no power at coil. Any leads?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:04 AM   #7
GasWorksGarage

anyone have a wire diagram?
Old 05-25-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
Bob C

Vanpelt's has one. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/F...48-49truck.jpg

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:43 PM   #9
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Thanks Bob!

I think I might have the power wire on the wrong side of the starter solenoid.

I have it on the post that runs to the starter should it be on the battery side?
Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM   #10
rotorwrench

Yes it should be on the battery side as long as that terminal is correctly connected.

Starter relays that only have one small terminal generally had an internal connection from the larger terminal that connects to the battery for power to one end of the internal relay coil. The other end of the internal coil connects to the small terminal so that only a ground applied to that terminal will make the relay close the start switch circuit. A person can determine which of the two large terminals is the battery terminal if they have a volt/ohm meter. It will get continuity between the batt terminal and the little start switch terminal but it will show the resistance of the internal relay coil. The terminal to the starter will gave no internal connection so no continuity on that one to the little terminal.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Yes it should be on the battery side as long as that terminal is correctly connected.

Starter relays that only have one small terminal generally had an internal connection from the larger terminal that connects to the battery for power to one end of the internal relay coil. The other end of the internal coil connects to the small terminal so that only a ground applied to that terminal will make the relay close the start switch circuit. A person can determine which of the two large terminals is the battery terminal if they have a volt/ohm meter. It will get continuity between the batt terminal and the little start switch terminal but it will show the resistance of the internal relay coil. The terminal to the starter will gave no internal connection so no continuity on that one to the little terminal.
I switched it to the battery side and it wont even crank. At a loss.
any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2018, 11:15 AM   #12
corvette8n

Make sure your grounds are good, I wire brush under each connection, clean the area with brake cleaner, then tighten every thing up, also be sure your ground cables are heavy enough.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvette8n View Post
Make sure your grounds are good, I wire brush under each connection, clean the area with brake cleaner, then tighten every thing up, also be sure your ground cables are heavy enough.
grounds are heavy enough cleaned everything. In the diagram that was provided it shows a yellow wire running from the ignition switch to circuit breakers then from then to the amp gauge. Does anyone know what type of breakers these are? Can the be reset? All I can make out on the back of ignition switch is Coil on one post and RA on the other cant read the 3rd post.

I looked at our F-1 and the wire in question on the solenoid goes to the battery side of the solenoid. Sorry for all the questions. I really do appreciate the help.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #14
Bob C

The breakers reset themselves. The yellow power wire to the switch come from the
breaker buss, it does not go through a breaker, the red wire goes to the coil, and the
black wire feeds the gauges.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
GasWorksGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
The breakers reset themselves. The yellow power wire to the switch come from the
breaker buss, it does not go through a breaker, the red wire goes to the coil, and the
black wire feeds the gauges.

Bob
Bob,

Thanks, I found a 30 amp fuse under the dash that runs to ignition switch. But my problem was and you sitting down? The local parts store gave me the wrong starter solenoid. They gave me one for a floor starter not a push button.... UGG! at least I found the problem.

thanks all for the input.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #16
chap52

Thanks for sharing the answer, Chap.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote