Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #1
Boss0144

Default Proper License Plate??

I have a 1929 Roadster Pick up.

I have seen them with a 'regular' as well as a 'commercial' Michigan License plate.

Is one more accurate than the other??? Is a 'regular' 1929 MI plate OK on a Model A pick up truck? (It will be a 'display' piece for me. I have a new, current plate as I drive it for pleasure when I feel the need!)

Thanks!!
Boss0144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
77Birdman

Default Re: Proper License Plate??

I saw nothing in the history of MI plates that relates to commercial vehicles. I would use either one I could find until there is a definitive answer. It may have depended on the original owners registration, i.e. if a business owned it then a commercial may have been issued as opposed to say a farmer buying one. As an example, in recent times the state of DE registered all pick up trucks as commercial but I dont think they do so anymore.
77Birdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:34 AM   #3
rotorwrench

I've seen commercial fleet tags and Farm tags too where applicable. A private owner is not eligible for a commercial plate in most cases. Only a commercial operator's transport vehicles are eligible. A farm vehicle has to be one that is used for farm work only. The farmer's family car doesn't qualify. Only the pickups and trucks qualify.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
ModelAMike1930

I have the antique plate in the traditional spot my my model a's and the correct modern plates on the bumper in front.
ModelAMike1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #5
monto

I respectfully suggest that a definitive interpretation of license plate requirements and allowances therein can be clearly outlined by engaging with someone who specializes in plates in the state of MICHIGAN DMV. In person, phone, or internet.

Someone on this site may be well versed in Michigan motor vehicle regulations......
Old 01-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #6
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monto View Post
I respectfully suggest that a definitive interpretation of license plate requirements and allowances therein can be clearly outlined by engaging with someone who specializes in plates in the state of MICHIGAN DMV. In person, phone, or internet.

Someone on this site may be well versed in Michigan motor vehicle regulations......

I agree.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
ronn

Either is fine. If not using it commercially, why would you pay the extra fees?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
Boss0144

I don’t understand what a 1929 pickup would have had back in 1929. If either a regular plate, or commercial would been seen running around, then I’d be happy with either today.

What I didn’t want was to show up at a Model A day someplace (I’m new to this) with a regular plate displayed on my truck and have folks telling me that it was ‘wrong ‘ .

Make sense?

Thanks for the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
Patrick L.

All states have different requirements, sometimes at different times. DMV should know.

Don't worry about what is said at a meet, proper info is not always given.

NYS at one time required commercial plates on pick-ups, finally changed that requirement awhile ago.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:01 PM   #10
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by monto View Post

I searched the MI dmv on line for the info I provided. There was nothing that I saw regarding commercial plates dating back to 1928. A new plate on a new vehicle is a different condition altogether.
Old 01-02-2020, 03:13 PM   #11
Boss0144

Thanks for your help.

I didn’t find anything searching the DMV either.

I will likely try and find a nice regular plate and wear it with pride!!

Thanks!!

Old 01-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #12
Tom Endy

In California if you go to the DMV to register a Model A pick up for the first time chances are that an uniformed DMV employee will tell you that you need to get the vehicle weighed and must have commercial plates issued. this is usually what happens, but it is not true because there is a statute that says early pick ups are exempt.

See the attached. Best to take this with you to the California DMV if you are registering a Model A pick up for the first time. Commercial plates are more expensive.

Tom Endy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DMV 9401 (Model A pick up trucks).pdf (82.5 KB, 23 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #13
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss0144 View Post
I don’t understand what a 1929 pickup would have had back in 1929. If either a regular plate, or commercial would been seen running around, then I’d be happy with either today.

What I didn’t want was to show up at a Model A day someplace (I’m new to this) with a regular plate displayed on my truck and have folks telling me that it was ‘wrong ‘ .

Make sense?

Thanks for the replies.

Boss,

Don’t worry about it. Whatever you do to your truck, there bound to be some smartass that will say it’s wrong, no matter whether it’s right or not.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:23 PM   #14
Boss0144

Ha! Plenty of ‘those’ out there, David!

I’m not trying to register it as ‘commercial ‘. I just want a cool vintage plate.

Michigan’s rules for classic plates are very restrictive on usage. So I have a standard new plate on it for use when driving. I want the 1929 plate cuz I think they are cool. The vintage plate will be just for display.

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #15
Vic in E-TN

18 years ago I moved from IL to TN. I have a 29 Model A Pickup with a 29 IL plate and I wanted a 29 TN truck plate. I went to several license plate shows and the cheapest 29 TN truck plate that I could find was only $700. The IL plate will stay on it.
Vic
Vic in E-TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 06:56 PM   #16
rotorwrench

This is a PDF link from the MI DMV that covers historical registrations and YOM license plates. It states you can use ones that are approved but they have to be original. They warn you not to purchase unless it's approved. A photo has to be used for approval. If in doubt, call the local DMV.
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/hplate_16252_7.pdf
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:25 PM   #17
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss0144 View Post
Ha! Plenty of ‘those’ out there, David!

I’m not trying to register it as ‘commercial ‘. I just want a cool vintage plate.

Michigan’s rules for classic plates are very restrictive on usage. So I have a standard new plate on it for use when driving. I want the 1929 plate cuz I think they are cool. The vintage plate will be just for display.

Thanks!

Speaking from California. If you are going to use them just for display you might consider using a different plate on the front and back. Original pairs of commercial plates that that are clear for YOM registration are extremely difficult to find and can get very expensive (at least in California). If anyone has a pair for sale please PM me.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 01-02-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:11 AM   #18
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...9800--,00.html

The Department has two types of commercial plates available - a "regular" commercial plate and an elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) commercial plate.
The following vehicles use the "regular" commercial plate:
  • A vehicle used to transport persons for hire (e.g., taxi, bus, limousine)
  • Company-owned pickups and vans up to 8,000 pounds
  • A vehicle up to 8,000 pounds used commercially to transport goods, wares, or merchandise (e.g., stake truck, tank, dump, utility) including passenger vehicles used commercially
  • Ambulances and hearses
    The following vehicles require GVW plates:
  • All trucks weighing over 8,000 pounds (empty) used commercially
  • All semi tractors used commercially
  • Trucks weighing 8,000 pounds or less (empty) towing a trailer or any other vehicle for commercial purposes (This does not include pickups and vans under 8,001 lbs. towing a trailer. They use regular fees as if there was no trailer).
    The GVW plate fee is based on the truck's maximum elected gross vehicle weight (GVW). Elected gross vehicle weight is the empty weight of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, fully equipped for service, plus the weight of the maximum load that the owner has elected to carry.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:13 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...364---,00.html

Historical vehicles
A historical vehicle must be:
  • 26 or more years old
  • Owned solely as a collector's item
  • Used only for events such as historical club activities, parades, and car shows
Note: A vehicle registered with a historical or authentic plate cannot be used for routine, day-to-day transportation; however, the law does allow for vehicles with a valid historical or authentic license plate to be driven at any time, including as daily transportation, during the month of August.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:57 AM   #20
77Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,...9800--,00.html

The Department has two types of commercial plates available - a "regular" commercial plate and an elected gross vehicle weight (GVW) commercial plate.
The following vehicles use the "regular" commercial plate:
  • A vehicle used to transport persons for hire (e.g., taxi, bus, limousine)
  • Company-owned pickups and vans up to 8,000 pounds
  • A vehicle up to 8,000 pounds used commercially to transport goods, wares, or merchandise (e.g., stake truck, tank, dump, utility) including passenger vehicles used commercially
  • Ambulances and hearses
    The following vehicles require GVW plates:
  • All trucks weighing over 8,000 pounds (empty) used commercially
  • All semi tractors used commercially
  • Trucks weighing 8,000 pounds or less (empty) towing a trailer or any other vehicle for commercial purposes (This does not include pickups and vans under 8,001 lbs. towing a trailer. They use regular fees as if there was no trailer).
    The GVW plate fee is based on the truck's maximum elected gross vehicle weight (GVW). Elected gross vehicle weight is the empty weight of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, fully equipped for service, plus the weight of the maximum load that the owner has elected to carry.
These are all current day registration requirements, may have very little bearing on what the practice was in 1928. State registration was still in its infancy at that time. My guess even if you asked the MI dmv people directly most would not have a correct answer, if they had one at all.

A study of historic license plates/vehicle registration would make a great thesis for a grad student some place. It seems that these kind of questions pop up all of the time with many different answers. Be nice if there was one go to place!