Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-20-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
braol

Smile Picking Up first Model A tomorrow!!!

For most of my childhood and adult life (now 48) I have wanted my own Model A. After being distracted by old BMWs and motorcycles (both crazy hobbies) I have finally gotten my act together, sold my motorcycle, and will be picking up my '31 Tudor this weekend! (I made sure that the A/C and bed in the doghouse are good...wife is marginally annoyed.)

My grandfather owned a 1929 Tudor (I still have the picture) and a 1930 Sport Coupe (uncle still owns it). My cousins and I used to sit in the coupe and honk the horn and pretend to drive when we were little. I learned to drive stick in the '30 when I was 17. Increasing nostalgia for my grandparents has pushed me firmly into the marketplace and now it's finally going to happen.

I can't say enough about this forum. Other forums I have been on have a large % of semi-rude know-it-alls but this forum ROCKS. I had two trivial questions I posted threads for and got immediate, friendly responses. Thanks to all so far.

Car: 1931 Tudor Standard. straight, runs, drives, STOPS, minimal rust, dull paint, no shocks, fiberglass rear fenders, original engine, no modern mods. Interior is an older restoration and is in good shape but is not period correct color I think. No big puddles under the car and everything works.
I wanted an original car, not a hotrod, so this car might just be the perfect car for me. I used to be an aircraft mechanic and can weld, machine, and blacksmith and would label my auto repair skills as 'advanced'. I want a car I can drive this summer and will crack into any issues this late fall. I see the interior and shocks being the obvious big ticket items in a return to originality...but it was figured into the sale price.
I can't wait to post some good pics and update everyone on my new life as a caretaker of history.
braol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Picking Up first Model A tomorrow!!!

Well rock on with your bad self. LOL Congtrats and enjoy the ride.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #3
1931 flamingo

Pictures, Pictures, we love pictures. And WELCOME to the Barn.

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:44 PM   #4
woofa.express

I'm pleased for you. Hope it gives you and your marginally annoyed wife a lot of pleasure.
It is interesting that it was your grandfathers car. Let me tell you of my situation. I have 3 model A's and a 53 GM Holden. Four cars, one each for my four kids. Well disappointingly they are not very interested in them or other things we believe are valuable in both monitory value and difficulty in acquiring them..
Well I was speaking to an antique dealer and he told me that case was quite usual, however he said it is your grandkids who will want them. Enjoy granddad's Model A. My grandkids love the A.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kids in Model A.jpg (21.0 KB, 120 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
Jim/GA

Welcome to the Model A Hobby!

Drop me a line any time if you have questions. Use email below. Or phone, if urgent (email me and I will send you my home phone number). I help new Model A owners with the questions every day. No question too small.

If you haven't already, try to find a local club. They will be a great resource to you for parts, expertise, local shops and suppliers that can help you with specialized stuff.

And consider joining both national clubs. Lots of activities there, a couple of great magazines, lots of help to the new hobbiest. MAFCA is running a Free Membership program right now. Contact me if you are interested.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:52 AM   #6
BILL WILLIAMSON

Thanks for the HELP compliments! Just give us time & we'll figger out HOW to get under your SKIN--LOL
Remember, CRITICISM helps get rid of OLD FLAKEY SKIN!!---My Dog approves this message!
Bill Opionatedandblunt
Old 07-21-2018, 07:59 AM   #7
Corley

I've found that if you sleep with your head out of the dog house doorway, the night air can be quite exilerating. Also, this gives one more leg room.

It's all about having fun, so I hope this turns out to be a fun car for both you and your wife. Two things you can do right away to help that along, 1) Join a local "active" model A club, and participate, and 2) Join at least one of the national clubs (MAFCA, MARC). DO NOT WORRY! Most wives come around after a few rides, when the young ladies start giving you a thumbs up!

Lastly, only believe about half of the posts you see on these forums. Trust your good mechanicing skills, and you will be fine. Welcome to the asylum.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #8
DHZIEMAN

Congrats on your purchase! Now the fun starts, and some of it is actually driving the car! I am 77, and quite honestly, when I was a kid and riding with my family and now a much larger fellow, it amazed me how much the model A I purchased was smaller than I remembered. LOL! Pictures??
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:17 AM   #9
Gary WA

Congrats!!!! Where's the pictures? Join the fun..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (76.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #10
henry's 31

CONGRATULATIONS:

I think you will find great enjoyment in your decision. This is a wonderful hobby with many wonderful people. Remember this is a great site to get answer to your questions. For full enjoyment, join the National and local Clubs.

See you on the road
Old 07-21-2018, 12:16 PM   #11
jimalabam

PM me your snail mail address and I will send Lots of info for '31 Standard Tudor. AND welcome to our great hobby Jim Langley... Email jimalabam@gmail,com
jimalabam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:03 PM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

When things go WRONG, working on your car & you get DEPRESSED & TERRIBLY CRANKY, It's time to get yourself a GOOD Dog. They're SUPERIOR to a SHRINK & CHEAPER!
Chief always sed, "Model As are like DOGS, you cain't own jist ONE"!
Chiefs' Sonny Boy
Old 07-24-2018, 04:52 AM   #13
Floats

Hey Braol
Thanks for posting.
Congrats and enjoy.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC

Last edited by Floats; 08-07-2018 at 12:40 PM.
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:05 AM   #14
Chuck Dempsey

Welcome aboard, and best of luck... And get your ride list updated! I can see it now...

'31 Tudor, '69 F100, '66 Mustang, '91 911, '11 Ford Flex, '17 VW GTI

Looks good!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 09:42 AM   #15
braol

So here's the delivery story: Attended the Pietenpol Airplane Annual Reunion in Brodhead, WI Saturday morning with car trailer in tow. For those who don't know, the Pietenpol is a homebuilt airplane powered by a Model A engine. I discourage everyone from learning more...I mean vintage airplanes with Model A engines?! It's like catnip!!! We split from there around 4pm and head for western Iowa. A million hours later and we're finally back at home in Kenosha, WI Sunday evening. I didn't get to play with my new toy at all because I had to hit the road again for N. Wisconsin for a Monday meeting...

...back to the meat of the story: Trying to back the car down the car trailer and I stall it. Battery dies on restart...recharge...finally get it started. By this time I have a large crowd of old, male neighbors gathered around giving advice and trying to look under the hood. I was politely able to finally get it off the trailer and into the garage...followed by about an hour of answering questions. A smattering of neighbor wives finally came out to summon their husbands home. (My wife started asking questions about the Pietenpol airplane parts in the back of the "A"...I distracted her with cheesecake...)

So here's the overall scoop:
Good: almost zero rust, windows all go up and down, starts right up, all new tires and brakes, new headliner and interior panel material (not sure if it is correct), barely leaks (i'll check levels today), electrics all seem to work.

Cons: Needs a clutch, steam coming out of lower radiator hose area when hot, battery might need replacement, front seats are vinyl and rear has some kind of scratchy black seat cover on it, fuel gauge needs cork float, headlights need new reflectors (very yellow and not sharp beams), top of hood has some shallow dents all over, no door lock keys, door strikers are worn and doors do not seat as tight as they should when closed, floorboard screws missing, paint needs a good polish.

Upgrades done by prior owner: turn signals, newer electric wiper, 2nd taillight, that's it...

Plans: This is to be a driver and to be mostly original. #1 Is my steam out the lower hose issue. I think it's just a bad hose. 4. #2 Clutch. It shudders on launch from stop. #3 Test battery and generator...no sense in getting stranded somewhere. #4 Those seats HAVE to match the rest of the interior...it's galling. #4 Get a flapper outfit for my wife!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1931-Ford.jpg (48.2 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by braol; 07-25-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #16
jm29henry

Nice looking car best of luck to you I'm sure you will love her
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #17
Tony Hillyard

Welcome to the Model A world! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Nice photograph of your car. Mine is almost the same colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ford A Screne saver copy.jpg (91.9 KB, 106 views)
Tony Hillyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 11:18 AM   #18
Charlie Stephens

... headlights need new reflectors (very yellow and not sharp beams), ... BUY THE HEADLIGHT REFLECTORS ONLY FROM BRATTON'S (OR SOMEONE THEY WHOLESALE TO), THEY INVESTED IN NEW TOOLING AND PRODUCE A PRODUCT WORTH HAVING

...turn signals ... CONSIDER USING DRIVING LIGHTS AS YOUR FRONT TURN SIGNALS, SEE PICTURE, THEY ARE PROBABLY EASIER TO SEE THAN COWL LIGHTS (AN ALTERNATIVE) AND LOOK REASONABLY GOOD IF YOU FIND SOME THAT ARE ERA CORRECT...

...newer electric wiper CONSIDER HAVING YOUR ORIGINAL VACUUM WIPER REBUILT AND ADD A VACUUM CANISTER IS YOU WANT, YOU PROBABLY WON'T BE DRIVING A LOT IN THE RAIN,

...2nd taillight, REMEMBER THAT THE MOUNT FOR THE RIGHT TAIL LIGHT IS A MIRROR IMAGE ON THE ONE ON THE LEFT, I THINK THEY REPRO BOTH SIDES

... steam out the lower hose issue. I think it's just a bad hose and the fact that there are only 2 hose clamps on it, rather than the required 4. I ASSUME YOU KNOW THERE IS A SECTION OF METAL PIPE WITH PROVISION FOR A RADIATOR DRAIN VALVE BETWEEN THE RADIATOR AND THE ENGINE

...Clutch. It shudders on launch from stop... BEFORE YOU REPLACE THE CLUTCH BE SURE YOUR CLUTCH SHUDDER ISN'T DUE TO SOMETHING ELSE LIKE BAD MOTOR MOUNTS

CHARLIE STEPHENS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5297.jpg (66.0 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-24-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #19
braol

Update: Solved the steam issue...loose hose clamps...flushed engine and radiator and put in fresh distilled H2O...verified that the Moto-meter works!

Car was running really rich...adjusted carb, now it idles smooth with the throttle lever backed-off all the way (when warm).

Removed and cleaned sediment bowl.

Changed oil and added STP with the zinc in it. I'm using dino oil for now, i'll switch to synthetic at some point (maybe). I have no problem with regular oil due to the frequent oil change intervals.

Removed license plate bracket from right side tail lamp.

Cleaned spark plugs and checked gap, timing, and point gap.

Charged battery. Charger finally got down to 2 amps after a few hours. I will check on the battery condition over the next few weeks...stay tuned. I think the prior owner just let the battery sit and it got under charged.

Took wife around the block. She asked if we could go around again, so yesterday was a WIN.

Clutch still has bad chatter. I'll be checking for bell housing shims and engine mount tightness......

Stay tuned for more!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #20
Dave in MN

Welcome to the Model A hobby. (Or "obsession" as my wonderful wife refers to it.)

If you are going to upgrade the existing turn signals check this company out:
http://www.turnswitch.com/Turnsignal.htm

I have an Electro Tech signal kit in both of my cars. They are well engineered and made. Works with 12 volt or 6 volt, neg. or pos. ground. Regular bulbs or LED's are no issue. The kit's function is self cancelling that is adjustable as to duration.
I have one kit installed with a hidden switch under the dash and the other with the column mount switch.

I have no connection to this company but really like their product.

Good Day!

Last edited by Dave in MN; 07-25-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote