Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck
Default Door fits on 55,56 and 57 T-Birds ??????

What experience have any of you trying to fit the doors on your T-Bird? Well mine are a mess. I am not sure what to do about this. The front of the doors not to bad but the rear by the door handles almost stick my finger in the gap. I though of Hill's but the cost would be more then the car is worth. I might ask Hill's for a estimate for this this summer.I know they are good.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:12 PM   #2
dmsfrr

Default Re: Door fits on 55,56 and 57 T-Birds ??????

You aren't alone. Most '55 to '57 T-Bird doors don't fit as well as they could.
Especially sticking out at the lower rear corners.
It sometimes seems like the factory spec for door gaps may have been + or - 1/2 inch

The doors on both of mine are fairly level and flush with the surrounding surface (Surprise! Surprise!) but have virtually no gap at the front edge of the door and as much as 3/8 inch at the rear edge. I need to split the difference, moving the doors slightly to the rear, because it tends to chip the paint at the front edge when they open and close.

At first glance the hinge mounting bolts that allow the door to move front-to-rear are inside the front edge of the door under the door panel.
There may be some differences in the doors and hinges from '56 to '57. This photo is a '57 drivers side door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '57 drivers door, hinges.jpg (21.4 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by dmsfrr; 02-16-2021 at 04:00 PM. Reason: add photo
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:47 PM   #3
Ole Don

At the factory, after the doors were bolted on, the final fit was by bending the door over a knee, or a 2x4 covered in carpet.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:02 PM   #4
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

At lease I am not alone on this. I bet Ford bitch about this problem. I bet dealers got a lot of complaints about this. When I work at For we had inspectors to write this crap up and in the final garage it became our problem. I am surprise that it was not taken care of.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:23 PM   #5
56sedandelivery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Don View Post
At the factory, after the doors were bolted on, the final fit was by bending the door over a knee, or a 2x4 covered in carpet.

Lol. Exactly what I did to my 56 SD to get the top even with the body. 2x4 at bottom and push the top. It worked..
56sedandelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:52 PM   #6
5851a

Ford subcontracted Budd body for bodies. Afraid to put both feet in the water. Other bodies to follow. Were busy times after Henry past, WWII, the suburban dream and interstate system. Production was king quality second and warranty 3rd. We accepted what we asked for. Must be why they built Wixom in 57. I must say I have looked at original corvettes from earlier and later until the 80's style and they were pathetic as far as fit and finish. I couldn't afford something like Hills but sure like what they can do.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:05 PM   #7
Dobie Gillis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Redneck View Post
At lease I am not alone on this. I bet Ford bitch about this problem. I bet dealers got a lot of complaints about this. When I work at For we had inspectors to write this crap up and in the final garage it became our problem. I am surprise that it was not taken care of.
And I'm betting final garage, we called it "plant repair" when I worked at Nissan, pencil whipped a good bit of the problems. Their Mississippi plant is the worst in the system. The final line would send vehicles to repair all day, scores of 'em. Somehow in the wee hours of 3rd shift they all disappeared to show up in warranty later. Some things never change.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #8
rotorwrench

I'm not familiar with the baby birds but door hinges take a beating on most cars and may need rebuilding. If a hinge can be shimmed, tweaked, or moved, it may be possible to move the door back. I've know more than a few restorers that weld on the edges to get a better gap. This practice is a lot more common that some may know.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #9
paul2748

If the door sticks out evenly at the rear, the problem is the latch. Also could be that the weatherstripping is too thick.

Do you have to lift up on the doors to close? If so, the hinges are worn (hinge pins) which might contribute to the problem.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #10
CSPIDY

the baby birds didn't have the best fit and finish when new. that being said, many that have a body off restorations tend to be worse if care is not taken when disassembling. the body shimming is critical.
places like Hills and CASCO know what to do to get the fit proper, money well spent.
my 57 door fit is not too bad, the body has never been removed.
CSPIDY is offline   Reply With Quote