Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2016, 02:44 PM   #1
hulleywoodworking

Default Test Stand Start Up Questions/Problems 8BA SOLVED!!!

I RAN A GROUND WIRE FROM THE STARTER SOLENOID TO THE FRAME AND SHE CRANKED RIGHT OVER!! JUST NEED TO HOOK UP FUEL!!

My 51 F1 is just about ready to test start. I have the original flathead V8, rebuilt, mounted in the truck frame, along with the rest of the driveline. Radiator is re-cored, installed, and filled with 50/50 distilled water and antifreeze. Modified GM distributor with new coil and resistor from Bubba's ignition installed. New plugs and wires. Starter was replaced by PO with a Powermaster high torque knockoff.

Got it wired up to start and get nothing. I am attaching drawings of the wiring setup:

Pictures of the actual wiring:

So what am I doing wrong? What is hooked up incorrectly?

Last edited by hulleywoodworking; 04-20-2016 at 03:17 PM.
hulleywoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #2
41Joe

Default Re: Test Stand Start Up Questions/Problems 8BA

I am not an electrical expert, do you have the starter and engine block grounded? Are you running a starter solenoid? That needs to be grounded too.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
hotcoupe

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ no one will ever call me "the electron wizard", but i think 41 Joe nailed it!
hotcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Joe View Post
I am not an electrical expert, do you have the starter and engine block grounded? Are you running a starter solenoid? That needs to be grounded too.
engine block is grounded. Starter would ground through the engine block, wouldn't it?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
41Joe

Default Re: Test Stand Start Up Questions/Problems 8BA SOLVED!!!

Glad you got it figured out. Electrical problems are my downfall.
41Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Would guess that is an indication that the body was not grounded to the frame and battery. Be sure the ground you added is a good enough connection that it will work for everything else connected to the body that requires a ground.

Well, that was stupid! The title says TEST STAND LOL, still need to be sure you have good grounds on the body and frame. And good trouble shooting.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
southfork

This is hard for me to follow. Why are pictures of 4 hand-drawn wiring diagrams included? Are they different?(they are not very legible) If so, which is correct, if any. Just trying to understand the wiring problem and the solution.
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
This is hard for me to follow. Why are pictures of 4 hand-drawn wiring diagrams included? Are they different?(they are not very legible) If so, which is correct, if any. Just trying to understand the wiring problem and the solution.
The original post was made because the engine starter would not operate.
Then after finding the solution the Original poster altered the original post to reflect that solution rather than make a new post to reflect finding the solution.
So it looks like a solution was found for some mysterious problem that may or may not be connected to the radiator that's been re-cored and filled with 50-50 distilled water and antifreeze. Or maybe a modified GM distributor with new coil and resistor. Confusing? it sure is.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
hulleywoodworking

Quote:
Originally Posted by southfork View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT View Post
The original post was made because the engine starter would not operate.
Then after finding the solution the Original poster altered the original post to reflect that solution rather than make a new post to reflect finding the solution.
So it looks like a solution was found for some mysterious problem that may or may not be connected to the radiator that's been re-cored and filled with 50-50 distilled water and antifreeze. Or maybe a modified GM distributor with new coil and resistor. Confusing? it sure is.
OK, not sure how I confused anyone.

The opening paragraph describes the ignition system and the parts that are not original equipment and the parts that are OEM. I mentioned the recored radiator because I figured someone would ask (I don't know why-just that someone would).

The drawings are each labeled; one that shows all of the connections, and the next three show the continuity between the ignition components with the key turned to off, on, and start.

The photos show the actual starter solenoid, ignition switch, and coil, with the wiring connections.

I then asked for a review of my wiring and comments as to what was connected incorrectly. Within minutes, it was suggested that the starter solenoid needed to be grounded. When I did that, problem was solved.

Don't mean to sound snarky, but how was this post confusing? Why would I start a new thread to tell how I solved the problem in another thread?
Old 04-23-2016, 09:08 PM   #10
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulleywoodworking View Post
OK, not sure how I confused anyone.

Don't mean to sound snarky, but how was this post confusing? Why would I start a new thread to tell how I solved the problem in another thread?
You don't have to start a new thread, just post a reply in the same thread as to how the problem was solved. That's what 'Post reply' is for.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #11
southfork

Hulleywoodworking, This explanation makes it clear to me now. Thank-you!
southfork is offline   Reply With Quote