Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2018, 02:40 PM   #1
vikx

Question 34 Ford Need Advice

Hello all from Washington State, newbie here.

I need some advice please. We have a 34 steel Ford Tudor with a new flathead, ported and polished, 3 twos. Has a rebuilt tranny, newer than 34; maybe 39? It has new wiring, 12 volt conversion, heater, hydraulic brakes, original running gear, relined gas tank, good upholstery. It's what I call a retro rod, redone in the mid 60s. I would say condition is very good. It's a nice car.

My partner is sick and can no longer work on it. I believe it is ready to run except for exhaust, battery and fuel. There is some minor wiring that needs to be done; mainly the engine fan. Wires are all in place.

We have offered it for sale locally but haven't advertised. Reaction has been mixed. My question is: Should we sell now as is, or spend more money to get it running? The work would have to be completed by a shop. I would guess 1000 for the mufflers alone. Needs tires of course. We were SO CLOSE...sigh.

I'm sure you all know we have a fortune in it. It was a true "garage" find in Seattle. We paid 18K for the car before all the work was done, plus the flathead by Dave Tatom in Mt. Vernon.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Any money will go toward my partner's senior care. Just not sure if it's worth spending more right now. Questions welcome, I'm not positive of all the details but will get you correct answers. Thank you very much. vikx

Here's a link to photos: https://34fordtudor.shutterfly.com/

Last edited by vikx; 07-04-2018 at 11:10 PM.
vikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: 34 Ford Need Advice

that is a nice looking car, but any unfinished project will not bring back the money you spent to get that far. if you cant do the work yourself, it is a gamble to spend more and hope to get it back. 34's are desirable enough, but people willing to spend a lot on a project are hard to find. no advise here, just good luck for you
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Hi, vikx, Welcome to the FordBarn Forums, I hope you get some good help here. Sorry to hear about the hard times. Sorry if I seem a little rough.

You have a very nice and valuable car. But if you got into it at 18k and are into it deeper since, then some of that money is lost, sorry, but my opinion. It will never bring top of the market for 34's because of the diversion from stock so stop looking at those numbers.

If you are looking for dollars quickly, sell it not running, but PLEASE NOT to the first person that comes by. Better would be running, turning, and stopping. And top dollar will be finished, sorted, and rubbed up & beautiful and take longer, and cost more.

On a brighter side, depending on where you are, it might be possible you would have folks help/volunteer to get it in good selling shape so you can get to your real goals. $1000 for exhaust is not reality, it can be done, even to show car standards without that kind of budget hit.

PS. Again, trying to be helpful, was the engine dynoed to 276 HP? You said it's modified and ported and polished, so that is actually possible given a large investment. But there might be confusion, because many of that type of engine are 276 cubic inches. All this because I read on the website about the HP data and you don't want to seem uninformed in your description.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture13.jpg (69.1 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg Capture113.jpg (66.1 KB, 121 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?

Last edited by VeryTangled; 07-04-2018 at 09:25 PM.
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:20 PM   #4
jimTN

There are butchers that would love to put a red wrench to that car, cut the front end out from under it for a Mustang POS, cut the x member out and put a garbage truck engine in which would destroy a fine car. I realize its yours to sell and I can assure you there is someone out there that will buy it and take proper care of it.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:44 PM   #5
Charlie Stephens

I think the biggest bang for your buck would be to get the engine running, which will include mufflers. From your description it sounds like there isn’t much work left. Are there any shops near you that could give you an estimate to get it running? Don’t worry about wiring the fan, just watch the temperature gauge. A trip around the block shouldn’t be a problem but idling for a long time might be. Are the brakes functional or is that another potential money pit? As a previous poster mentioned it is probably 276 cubic inches and not 276 horsepower. Don’t spend money on the tires, as you will probably not get it back. The existing tires look ok in the photos. If you have the paperwork showing what was done and maybe some dyno results from Tatum on the rebuild it should be valuable in establishing the price. How long ago was it rebuilt?

Also post your situation (and advertise) on HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ssage-board.5/

Does your partener have any trustworthy car friends that could look at the situation relative to how much work is left? Not necessarily someone to do the work just someone to help scope the remaining work?

Best of luck,
Charlie Stephens

Last edited by Charlie Stephens; 07-04-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #6
T Scott

I'm not sure how big an issue the "not running" factor is. For a true knowledgeable Ford guy, maybe not much. After all, Dave Tatum has a good reputation and is one of the best flathead guys around. An exhaust system can be had from Waldrons for about $350 to $400 bucks and it will fit nicely with no bloody knuckles.
How about you buy the exhaust, work a deal with Dave and put the car in his shop (it would look good next to his yellow roadster). He must know some young guy who will climb under and install the exhaust. Then what, at the most a hot wire from the battery to the coil and fire that sucker up. I'm sure Dave would like to hear it run, and so would you and your friend. Then put a price on it and list it. I think on both Fordbarn and the HAMB.
T Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:50 PM   #7
vikx

Thank you all so very much! I really appreciate the wise info and am listening closely. Also thanks for the info on the HP/cu inches. I'll change that and get correct info later tonight. Not sure if partner (Vic) has the paperwork from Tatom, but he should. Vic is an ex auto machinist from Calif and did the porting and polishing. There are photos of some of it. It's balanced but I guess all fancy motors are.

The motor was done a few years ago; it's been manually turned over periodically to keep things happy. The car needs all fluids; we were waiting til it was ready to run. Stale gas is a real bummer...

The wiring is very complete. The coil needs to be hooked up (wires w/ring terminals are there) and I don't know which way the fan should blow; out or in? (it's behind the radiator) So does it pull air thru or blow air out to cool?? I did the wiring but am not super familiar with engine components. Certainly don't want to make a mistake!

I agree that it would be a shame for someone to cut this car up and turn it into just another mustang/hot rod. However, that makes it worth less, right? It's been our love for many years and we so enjoyed the originality of it. Even the steering wheel controls work, headlights, etc. The guy we got it from fibbed about the engine being rebuilt (not) and "all new wiring". Well, if you call that thrown in a box, I guess he was right.

Anyway, it has been a labor of love over the years and we did get help from local people, since retired. There is a classic car dealer here in town that will do the exhaust and I will get a price later. The dealer said he will get it running as well. Hmmm. For how much??

Vic is going to call a couple of people to see if we can get some help.

I hesitate to list it for sale until we get some of this ironed out. Price must be realistic but we also don't want to lose by not doing a little work that will give us a better return. Believe me, I've been there/done that over the years. I don't think any of us break even...

Again, thank you all for your help! I'll get back to you with details. Please let me know if I am missing something.

PS: Not sure on the brakes. The cylinders were rebuilt and bled but the master cylinder dribbled when I pushed on the pedal. Maybe bleed again? And all the exhaust is here, just not installed. I don't weld but can handle a wrench; does it need welding?

Last edited by vikx; 07-04-2018 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
vikx

I thought Tatom moved and was no longer doing work. Is he available and where?? When the motor was built, he was on the river road in Mt. Vernon, Wa. Yes, we would love to hear it purr....

Last edited by vikx; 07-04-2018 at 11:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 PM   #9
Lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikx View Post
I thought Tatom moved and was no longer doing work. Is he available and where?? When the motor was built, he was on the river road in Mt. Vernon, Wa. Yes, we would love to hear it purr....
===============================================

A quick search got me this link ( listed below ).
I don't know how current this link is though. good luck.

http://www.davetatom.com/

Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #10
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
.... And all the exhaust is here, just not installed. I don't weld but can handle a wrench; does it need welding?
Some parts were welded assemblies from the factory and some parts slipped together and were held by clamps, you are going to have to check to see what you have.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-04-2018, 11:53 PM   #11
vikx

I'll do some more research on Tatom. Last time I drove by, it didn't look like he was there. Hopefully not too far away. Wouldn't it be great to have him start that flathead??

I'll ask about the mufflers.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:09 AM   #12
vikx

More Motor info: the block is a 1953. Bored . 125 over with a 4" stroke. Cubic inches may be 272 or 276. I need to find the paperwork from Tatom. The connecting rods were sent to Calif to be equal from wrist pin to crank, center to center. The motor is blueprinted. It has new 283 Chevy valves and the exhaust seats are hardened to run unleaded fuel. Top of block decked to match the heads and has a pressure oil system.

Basically, top of the line. This probably doesn't matter but thought you all would like to know.

Mufflers do need to be welded.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:26 AM   #13
Mart

I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

I'm not saying to do this, but throwing the idea into the ring to see if anyone thinks it has merit.

There is a hell of an investment in the engine. Lots of people might be interested in the engine, (and be prepared to pay good money for it) but might not necessarily want a 34 sedan.

Would it be a good idea to pull the motor and sell it separately?

If you have the original motor that could go back in and the car could be sold.

Unfortunately, (forgive me for this) you will almost certainly have to take a "hit" on this whole deal.

Ok, that said, lets look at the situation. there is always a "on the other hand.." viewpoint. If you were to take every job that needs doing, and ask for advice I'm sure we could guide you through each one. The fan wiring, for example, is not hard, the fan needs to pull the air through the radiator in the same direction that the air comes through when the car is in motion. The coil wiring is not difficult.

It may be that a "working party" could be organised on a certain day where local friends and barners (or hambers) could drop in and do what they can to get things moved along. It might just cost a few pizzas and refreshments, but I'm sure people will pitch in and help if they can.

There might be someone local that could do the exhaust at cost, even if just a simple system to allow it to be run and driven.

I hope this helps in some way, I wish I was closer and could help more.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:29 AM   #14
FritzJr

I would suggest that the best course is to get the engine running by the easiest method possible. I would not suggest finishing the car, just get it running. If possible "yard driving" would also be a plus. Things like lights and horn do not need to be working, but brakes and steering would be nice.
The important thing is to have the engine running. Everything else is less important. A valid buyer will overlook the remaining items. Also, when you do decide to advertise, the HAMB on Jalopy Journal will probably be a better place for this car.
FritzJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #15
GordonC

You don't have to have an exhaust system to get the car started. It will run fine off the exhaust manifolds. You can use temporary wiring to get it running but get it running otherwise everyone will try to beat your price down based on that. If you get it so it can be yard driven even better. Its a good looking car and with the proper price it should sell.
GordonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 PM   #16
vikx

You know, I have thought about selling the motor separately.... it is a nice one.

One neighbor works on classic cars and might come over to weld the mufflers. It would be less costly to do that here rather than have it trailered to town and back.

So that is the next step; get it running. The wiring is all in place, I can test the fan and make sure it pulls thru and connect the coil, add fluids and she should be ready to fire up.

Again, appreciate all your help and suggestions. You've helped make the decision. Thank you.

I have no idea how to price this car, that's a big if.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #17
34pickup

I hate being realistic, but most of the time with old cars, when you have to have a shop or someone else do the work, you will not get the money out of it that you put into it.
It is seldom that even someone who does their own work on them can break even when they have to sell it.
That being said, I agree, it would probably sell better if you just get the engine running, the rest of the stuff is minor in the scheme of things. You might come out ahead reading up on how the engine operates and get it running yourself. They aren't complicated.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 01:16 PM   #18
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your situation.

I'm not saying to do this, but throwing the idea into the ring to see if anyone thinks it has merit.

There is a hell of an investment in the engine. Lots of people might be interested in the engine, (and be prepared to pay good money for it) but might not necessarily want a 34 sedan.

Would it be a good idea to pull the motor and sell it separately?

If you have the original motor that could go back in and the car could be sold.

Unfortunately, (forgive me for this) you will almost certainly have to take a "hit" on this whole deal.

Ok, that said, lets look at the situation. there is always a "on the other hand.." viewpoint. If you were to take every job that needs doing, and ask for advice I'm sure we could guide you through each one. The fan wiring, for example, is not hard, the fan needs to pull the air through the radiator in the same direction that the air comes through when the car is in motion. The coil wiring is not difficult.

It may be that a "working party" could be organised on a certain day where local friends and barners (or hambers) could drop in and do what they can to get things moved along. It might just cost a few pizzas and refreshments, but I'm sure people will pitch in and help if they can.

There might be someone local that could do the exhaust at cost, even if just a simple system to allow it to be run and driven.

I hope this helps in some way, I wish I was closer and could help more.

Mart.
A little twist on Mart's post. Selling the engine separately might be a good idea but leave it in the car until the buyer for the engine hands you the cash. A buyer for the engine would want to see it running and if possible driving. Now you have to get a replacement engine back in or sell the sedan at a reduced amount. Sounds like a lot of work even if the original engine is available and ready to install.

Charlie Stephens
Old 07-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #19
vikx

That's why I was questioning whether to go further with the car: cost of shop repairs, not cheap.

The mufflers must be on the car because of nasty neighbors. They will report me in a heartbeat for excessive noise.

I "think" the motor is ready to run after a few minor tasks. More research today.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
VeryTangled

Hi again vickx, You are being very helpful with your information, so good-on-you.

Can I make another suggestion that should help? When you have more questions about getting something working, or where something goes, try to keep the conversation going in this thread vs. starting a new thread. It's okay if this one wanders from the original topic because it will all be right here in one place. I say this should help because it makes it easier for those following the "case" to be helpful. This is only a gentle suggestion.

Now a question/request: Try to get a number on what you think the engine has cost you so far? I don't do much pricing/buying/selling, but even I know that there are many thousands invested, and Mart makes a good point in post #13.

Don't let that slow you down from getting it started. Started and running is always better. (Take lots of videos.)

Old 07-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #21
vikx

Charlie, I totally agree on leaving the engine in the car unless there's green money in my hand...It is a lot of work to remove it. Not sure I want to go there.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:36 PM   #22
vikx

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryTangled View Post
Hi again vickx, You are being very helpful with your information, so good-on-you.

Can I make another suggestion that should help? When you have more questions about getting something working, or where something goes, try to keep the conversation going in this thread vs. starting a new thread. It's okay if this one wanders from the original topic because it will all be right here in one place. I say this should help because it makes it easier for those following the "case" to be helpful. This is only a gentle suggestion.

Now a question/request: Try to get a number on what you think the engine has cost you so far? I don't do much pricing/buying/selling, but even I know that there are many thousands invested, and Mart makes a good point in post #13.

Don't let that slow you down from getting it started. Started and running is always better. (Take lots of videos.)
Thank you Jeff. I was wondering if I should post new threads for further questions. Of course all here will be about the 34 Ford.

This is an odd one: Motor has 3 twos. I've noticed some flatheads running just two carburetors, with the middle one missing. Is this something to be concerned with? Middle carb putting too much fuel to the motor? When I do start it, could the engine be damaged? Or is this a fuel saver with the middle carb not giving that much more toward performance?

Carbs came with the car, but Vic did rebuild them.

I will try and find the paper work today and get back to you tonight.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #23
19Fordy

Here's the current price on a nice looking stock 34 Tudor Sedan.
Use it as a guideline for selling yours. A buyer will definitely want to hear it run,
so you must get it running even if you sell the engine separately. Contact H and H and ask them if they have a customer who wants an engine NOW with no waiting. Perhaps they could sell it for you for a small fee. That way the customer could hear and see it run on an engine stand in the H&H shop and get detailed spec. info. Then, sell the car separately minus the price of the engine.
https://www.hotrodhotline.com/forsal...listing/107022

Last edited by 19Fordy; 07-05-2018 at 01:55 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #24
VeryTangled

Hi vicx, no you can't damage the engine by giving it too much fuel/air from the carbs. It could do the opposite, and cause it not to start or run crappy, but damage, no.

I'm not the right guy with experience here, but some (to many) of the three-carb setups people use, don't have all three active.

Adding: reference to post #23, H&H https://www.flatheads-forever.com/ a nationally-recognized shop that does flathead work from a to z.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #25
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Here's the current price on a nice looking stock 34 Tudor Sedan.
Use it as a guideline for selling yours. A buyer will definitely want to hear it run,
so you must get it running even if you sell the engine separately. https://www.hotrodhotline.com/forsal...listing/107022
Don't think there is much to compare on pricing here, it is an OHV engine, automatic transmission, 9 inch Ford rear axle, ladder bars, A/C, all modern hot rod interior, swinging brake pedal, etc.

Last edited by JSeery; 07-05-2018 at 05:25 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:27 PM   #26
19Fordy

Mr. Seery: You are 100% correct. They are not comparable. I stand (or sit) corrected.
I think my idea is still a possibility if the correct price for a 34 can be found.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The outside of that 34 looks good!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #28
vikx

Comparisons are always fun and good to have. A person can subtract for less fancy running gear, etc.

I found all the receipts today but they are in a huge envelope and it will take some time to isolate just the motor. LOL. All together, we have about 28K in the car. Obviously, we are not about to break even. Now to spend more money...

Mufflers: The exhaust pipes will need a tubing bender so it is looking like it has to go to a shop. That means trailering both ways, plus hourly. One guy said today it might take two or three hours, so that's only $300... here's hoping.

Carbs: I think I will order the blocking plate for the middle one just in case. That way, if it doesn't run right, we'll have it on hand. The intake valves are about 1/4" larger than stock and the cam is more radical. I didn't get details but the 3 carbs may work? I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for all the ideas and help.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:39 PM   #29
Kahuna

My suggestion would be to take as many photos as possible & post them here & on the Swap site from all/every angle inside & out.
Given the engine builder's reputation, I think you may not have too much trouble selling as is, but have & post as much info as possible.
Also, detail all the remaining work necessary to get this thing road worthy. Everything
JMO
Good luck & hope things turn out well for you both
Best
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:49 PM   #30
vikx

Thanks Jim,

All the digital photos here: https://34fordtudor.shutterfly.com/pictures

The engine prints have to be scanned and I will include them asap.

Update: There are no worthwhile photos of the 34 or motor in the photo prints. There is ONE picture of the block after porting and polishing on an engine stand; that's it.

However, I did find a card from Schneider Cams: Grind 270-F, Rocker ratio 0, Lobe separation 114, degree intake Lobe to 112.

Valve Lash cold: Intake .010, Exhaust .012 Valve lift .395 Duration 270

Camlift Intake/Exhaust .395 Duration at .050* Camlift: Intake/Exhaust 234

Last edited by vikx; 07-05-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:59 AM   #31
vikx

Ah, grumble. What are the blocking plates for the S 97 carbs called? I've done Offenhauser, three twos, Ford intake, etc.

Lots of plates but not what I need. I can make one...
Old 07-21-2018, 01:27 AM   #32
vikx

Hi all, I've been offerd 18 K for the Ford. I consider this low. It's not running as the local muffler people have been very busy.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:47 AM   #33
petehoovie

Quote:
Hi all, I've been offerd 18 K for the Ford. I consider this low. It's not running as the local muffler people have been very busy.

$18K is way way too low....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:45 AM   #34
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
$18K is way way too low....
$18,000 may be low , but if that offer is the only one on the horizon t might be the best offer you will get. Advertise the car as is without spending more money and see where it goes. The market for early cars is not what it was 5 years ago and potential buyers are getting fewer each day. You might pay someone(or find a volunteer) to put the car on e-Bay and see what you get for a high bid. Set your reserve at what you feel is a good price and see what happens. Millions of people look at e-Bay, so you have a wide audience. This will give you a good idea of the value. I hope you would get more than $18,000, but project cars are not easy to sell and the seller never recoups his investment. Keep in contact with the person who made the offer as that person may be the only game in town. If you could bump him to $20,000 I would grab it.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #35
19Fordy

TJ (above) is correct. If it was a Tudor you could get a bit more money.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #36
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
TJ (above) is correct. If it was a Tudor you could get a bit more money.
It is a Tudor > https://34fordtudor.shutterfly.com/pictures

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:31 PM   #37
19Fordy

Opps! Thanks for opening my eyes. Would it be fair to ask the seller to put himself in the place of the potential buyer and ask how much he would be willing to pay for it if the car was left as is, but he could hear it run?

My brother sold his 33 Ford 4 door 10 years ago for 15K. It was a running and driving car, looked stock, had a rebuilt 59AB and a 9 inch rear, but needed paint.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #38
vikx

I tend to agree with TJ's take on all this.

In a bit of a quandary because Vic is in the hospital and not in his right mind. Too many pills... If he was OK, then it would be his decision.

The muffler shops have put us off for at least two months; it's unlikely they will get a cancellation. (and some won't work on a classic car)

Thank you all for your input. If the offer is bumped up, I will probably take it. If that doesn't work, advertising is an option. Oh, and lastly, the offer came from a guy who will get the car running and allow Vic to see and drive it. That is worth something.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #39
mrtexas

My opinion. The later motor doesn't hurt the value. It is not a show car. Most owners of 36 and older don't put the year engine in the car anyway. Most have 37 and newer engines because they have insert bearings unlike the early engines with poured babbit bearings. Are you handy at all like can change a spark plug? If so you can install your own exhaust system with the exception of front pipe to later engine. The cars have plenty of room under them unlike modern cars to install an exhaust system with ease. The exhausts are clamped together. All the eary v8 vendors sell the exhaust systems for cheap.

If you are handy beyond changing a spark plug or can read a wiring diagram you can get it running yourself. The wiring system is very easy. You would only need to wire from the ignition switch to the coil, battery to ignition switch and from the battery to the starter, 3 wires. Or you could uset the main wiring harness and hook up the minimum wires from that and the battery. It really is easy.

IMHO not running is a cheap but good bid $18k. Running and braking 18k plus the cost of the motor would be a win. Buyers for flatheads are few and far between especially a non running one.

Join the local v8 club. You could probably get a member to come help you get it going for little $$ to none. I'd do it for nothing if I didn't live 2000 miles away. Wouldn't take more than one or two Saturdays.

Quick scan of my C&G catalog is around $300 in parts for complete stock exhaust system that would have to be modified to hook up to a later engine.

Last edited by mrtexas; 07-21-2018 at 01:16 PM.
mrtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #40
vikx

Yes, I am very handy and wired/rewired the entire car, plus some other things. I am somewhat limited in the strength department but my hobby is vintage travel trailer rebuilds, so am able to do pretty much anything.

The problem with the mufflers is that we don't have a pipe bender, plus they are the weld together type. I have the header to pipe connectors and two mufflers. If I had known there were complete bolt together systems, I would have suggested that. drat.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:01 PM   #41
Lanny

Your '34 is an older resto rod build. It needs needs some up-grades to make
it more of a street rod. (street rods are driven by the young and old, alike)
(and don't let the nay-sayers fool ya, street rods can sell for dang good money)

Also, the top insert trim looks kinda rough, could use a chrome windshield frame,
the interior don't look very fancy, etc, etc, etc.

Even in it's present body condition, if you can get the car to run, and lot drive,
it should bring north of $25, IMO, as it looks pretty solid.

Mine sold for a lot more than that....

Click on picture to enlarge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my pair '34's.jpg (51.6 KB, 33 views)
Old 07-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #42
mrtexas

Quote:
Yes, I am very handy and wired/rewired the entire car, plus some other things. I am somewhat limited in the strength department but my hobby is vintage travel trailer rebuilds, so am able to do pretty much anything.

The problem with the mufflers is that we don't have a pipe bender, plus they are the weld together type. I have the header to pipe connectors and two mufflers. If I had known there were complete bolt together systems, I would have suggested that. drat.
Looked at all the pictures. I'd start over with the mufflers and bolt them together. Paint is rough, wiring is not tidy, top is rough, interior is rough, no cover over the transmission, butchered up dash, un-restored frame/suspension. This car has a long way to go with a lot of work. In other words with the exception of the engine needs a complete restoration.

IMHO take the $18k and run. Getting it running and exhaust would add some value. I'd sell it as is.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:38 PM   #43
vikx

Your Fords are great Lanny!

I realize the car is not perfect and is not finished, but it does have good bones and there's no rust out, etc.

There is a lot going on right now in our lives, so the Ford has been on the back burner. I found the old mufflers and the 2nd tranny today, plus all the paperwork and books. So it is complete as far as I know. I have the transmission cover and stick as well as insulation for the floor.

At this point, I can't make a move on a sale or the mufflers until Vic is somewhat lucid. He seemed better today, so here's hoping.

Thanks again for all your advice. I'll let you all know what happens.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:46 PM   #44
vikx

Hello All, the Ford is SOLD. We got over what we asked, so it's all good. The guy will get it running and bring it for Vic to see and take him for a ride. We are both pleased that these people are close to us, know what they are doing and are friends.

Again, I so appreciate all of your ideas and opinions. I was of a mind to just sell to the first person and you all gained us several K. Thank you.

Last edited by vikx; 07-23-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #45
Tinker

Ya kind of thought this was a sell add from the get go.

Street rods do well. If you factor in all spent to do so. Well we get upside down or ya don't. You can spend a lot of money just thinking about it.

I don't hate street rods. I have old friends that build wonderful cars and I live in muscle car and street rod territory. They are great.

I still someday want to build a open wheel T or A for fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CafEQS0yTyM&t=467s

Last edited by Tinker; 07-22-2018 at 11:22 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:29 PM   #46
vikx

Tinker, I'm not sure what you mean by a Sell Ad? My whole purpose in posting was for advice on selling this car. Whether to get it running or sell it as is. It has never been advertised to the public.

Per everyone's advice, we truly wanted to get it running but life gets in the way. With my partner being so ill, it just wasn't possible. Friends came by today and bought it. I posted that it was sold to finish this thread in a positive light.

All of your advice helped us immensely.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 PM   #47
Tinker

Quote:
Tinker, I'm not sure what you mean by a Sell Ad? My whole purpose in posting was for advice on selling this car. Whether to get it running or sell it as is. It has never been advertised to the public.

Per everyone's advice, we truly wanted to get it running but life gets in the way. With my partner being so ill, it just wasn't possible. Friends came by today and bought it. I posted that it was sold to finish this thread in a positive light.

All of your advice helped us immensely.

Yes I was going to add that. Sorry. All good, my bad. Just wasn't quick enough to correct.

Glad it worked out well for you!!!
Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 PM   #48
vikx

Thanks, Tinker. I'm going to tell my friend about this thread and the flathead lovers here! I think you will like him.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:00 AM   #49
Tinker

Quote:
Thanks, Tinker. I'm going to tell my friend about this thread and the flathead lovers here! I think you will like him.

you'd be surprised how many people come on here saying they picked up a cool barn find they picked from a reluctant seller and they would never ever part with it.... then 10 post later they are selling. ha ha.

all good, again... my bad.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:07 AM   #50
vikx

I certainly understand. We've owned this Ford for 15 years and she's a bit of a "shop find" but it broke Vic's heart to know he wouldn't ever be able to finish it... and now it will be in our own back yard!

I have my own Vintage Trailer forum and we don't allow ANY discussion of sales until a member has 50 posts. In the past, many joined just to sell; very irritating. Craigslist works better. The public can't even SEE our For Sale section. Ha.

Honestly, most of our members are not looking to buy. We have plenty to work on, if you get my drift...
Old 07-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #51
Tinker

Yep, get it. Sorry Vic couldn't enjoy it. We can get over our head on these fords. I try to just keep them drive-able. Hearty engines and weathered paint.

Again glad it worked out!