Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2018, 08:19 AM   #21
Corley

Default Re: No compression

By jumping into tearing it down, you have already made the problem harder to diagnose.

The first thing to do when it won't start, is listen. If it turns over with a normal cranking sound, you probably have compression. In that case, go look at spark and fuel.

If it spins over and a higher than normal speed, and sounds like it spins freely, you probably have a compression issue. In this case, pull the distributor cap of and watch the rotor while cranking it. If the rotor is not spinning, you probably have lost some timing gear teeth. Now is the first time I'd consider pulling out any tool, and that tool would be a compression gauge.

If you measure no compression on all or most cylinders, it's time to pull the timing gear side cover, and carefully watch the teeth on the cam gear, while cranking it over with a hand crank. It will take to full revolutions of the crankshaft to see all the teeth, so go slow, and make sure when you turn the crank, that the timing gear is actually turning too. ( If you don't watch the fiber gear turn, you may just see teeth after each crank, because you are looking at the same teeth!)

If all this checks out, only now would I remove any other engine parts. ONLY AFTER ALL THESE CHECKS, WOULD YOU REMOVE ANY OTHER ENGINE PARTS!
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:32 AM   #22
katy

Is the starter actually turning the engine over? Or just spinning?
Old 07-11-2018, 09:55 AM   #23
asbrock

Was the starter actually engaging the flywheel? Easier to check the starter than it is to pull a head. Bendix May just be spinning which may make it appear there’s no compression. An actual compression test would’ve been step 1 with readings on all 4 cylinders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
asbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:02 PM   #24
Marshall V. Daut

I agree that PERHAPS pulling the head was a bit premature without first running a couple other checks (compression, distributor shaft rotation, starter operation), but the situation as it stands now is not without an advantage. With the head off, the OP can push the starter rod and check the operation of ALL the valves, as well as whether the starter actually turns the engine over. It's highly unlikely that between the time the OP parked the car in the barn and when he went out the next day to start it that at least one valve in each cylinder became stuck, a couple valve springs broke or that the head gasket blew out in each cylinder. Pushing the starter rod when the head was still in place would have told him whether the timing gear was stripped, the head gasket had blown and/or whether the Bendix drive was inoperative In all three cases, the starter would have turned the engine over at a noticeably faster rate than usual, which the car's owner should have recognized by the difference in sound. One poster already suggested this. Too late in this case, but a good sleuthing method to keep in mind for future problems of a similar nature.
If the valves open and close through a few revolutions with the starter, the OP can observe their operation and eliminate stuck valves from the equation. If only a few valves open and close as they should, but others remain stuck open, then there is a problem possibly with them sticking in the guides. If they don't move at all, the timing gear is stripped or possibly the oil pump drive gear is stripped or the shaft's pin sheared off. Easy to spot this by re-inserting the lower distributor shaft into the engine (assuming there is the two-piece shaft in place) and push the starter rod. If the lower distributor shaft doesn't turn, then we're back to a stripped timing gear or a problem with the oil pump drive. You could also just look down onto the distributor shaft hole and see if the oil pump drive gear is turning. That requires more gymnastic ability while holding down the starter rod than watching the lower shaft turning above the deck of the block.
If the starter spins, but the pistons don't go up and down, the starter's Bendix spring is either broken or a drive mounting bolt has sheared. Easy to check this operation.
If all the above work o.k., then about the only thing left to explain zero compression is a blown head gasket, unlikely as that would be. But all four cylinders blowing out - while the car is parked? I'm leaning more towards a stripped timing gear/oil pump drive or trouble with the Bendix. Pistons go up and down, the valves operate fine = what else could explain zero compression - if a zero compression situation actually did exist and the signs were not misinterpreted?
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 07-11-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:48 PM   #25
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Is the starter actually turning the engine over? Or just spinning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czee View Post
Now the thread is one the right track after 18 or so questionable replies.
I believe he stated that the valves where opening and closing and the distributor is turning?

You really do need the whole thread...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #26
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I believe he stated that the valves where opening and closing and the distributor is turning?

You really do need the whole thread...
Are the valves and distributor lifting, turning when he uses the starter or hand crank?

Last edited by denniskliesen; 07-11-2018 at 07:47 PM.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #27
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniskliesen View Post
Are the valves and distributor lifting, turning when he uses the starter or hand crank?
See post #7... Distributor lifting??
Old 07-11-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by egm View Post
Thought gas was bad, rebuilt carb no go, checked compression 0 at all 4
Bad gas or no gas, new carb, rebuilt or whatever has nothing to do with the loss of compression. Me thinks a good review of 4 stroke engine operation is in order. Post 17 & 26 explains it all, there HAS to be some compression in at least 1 cylinder.

John

Last edited by aermotor; 07-11-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: statement added
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #29
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czee View Post
Thats your opinion!
Your right. What I meant to write is "You really do NEED to read the whole thread". I think you missed part of it... He stated in post #7 the valves are "moving up and down" (opening and closing) so that kind of shows the engine was turning over.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #30
aermotor

Whats the deal here? Is egm the O.P. and Czee with the problem? Nothing makes sense with this thread or the alleged problem.

John
Old 07-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #31
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
Whats the deal here? Is egm the O.P. and Czee with the problem? Nothing makes sense with this thread or the alleged problem.

John

Thats for sure.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:46 PM   #32
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
See post #7... Distributor lifting??
What I meant to ask was,
Are the valves lifting when using the starter?
Are the valves lifting when using the hand crank?
Is the distributor turning when using the starter?
Is the distributor turning when using a hand crank?

The OP hasn't posted in over a day to simple questions.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #33
eagle

There have been so many condescending responses I'd be surprised if the OP hasn't just left the site in disgust. However, I agree there is something strange going on with his engine. Obviously more to the story.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #34
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post

John
I agree, and it's not even April 1st.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:09 AM   #35
johnneilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I agree, and it's not even April 1st.
True dat, it is however very close to a new moon and that means the crazies are off the road and on the web.................
Old 07-12-2018, 05:33 AM   #36
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
There have been so many condescending responses I'd be surprised if the OP hasn't just left the site in disgust. However, I agree there is something strange going on with his engine. Obviously more to the story.
I really don't see any condescending responses to the O.P. and sincerely believe everyone was trying to help. Now we have a new member who joined within the past couple hours tossing in a 1st post that doesn't make sense in context with previous posts. I agree something strange is going on - maybe not with the motor.

John
Old 07-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #37
egm

Removed in.ex. Manifold valves very sluggish, intake ports heavy layer of black tar. Bad gas? Have used start bill since new valves maybe try marvel or sea foam next. Well have to clean up the mess thanks for the help
egm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM   #38
eagle

Smile Re: No compression

Quote:
Originally Posted by egm View Post
Removed in.ex. Manifold valves very sluggish, intake ports heavy layer of black tar. Bad gas? Have used start bill since new valves maybe try marvel or sea foam next. Well have to clean up the mess thanks for the help
That finally makes sense. Thanks for the update.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:38 AM   #39
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
That finally makes sense. Thanks for the update.
I agree. I had a feeling it was something like this, which is caused by bad gas most of the time.

Does the tank have some kind of liner that is coming off?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:46 AM   #40
egm

Tom, found out thank was sealed 25 year's ago I think it's coming off now what a mess.
egm is offline   Reply With Quote