Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
JohnB15632

Default 31 model a rear fenders

My left fender is drilled to support the brake light bracket. My right fender is not. I want to install a brake light support bracket on the right fender.

Should I drill the necessary holes before or after I apply primer paint?

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2518.jpg (52.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2519.jpg (54.0 KB, 42 views)
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: 31 model a rear fenders

I would say before as then the primer will cover the edge of the hole(s). JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
Cape Codder

What I would say is measure, measure, measure and measure again and then get the correct bracket which bolts to the fender! I did the measuring right on the car.

Mine didn't turn out EXACTLY level.
Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:13 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

You probably already know but remember that the right and left brackets are different.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 10:41 PM   #5
daveymc29

I made a paper pattern of the left, then turned it over and measured to get it correctly located on fender marked the holes and remeasured everything including from the ground up and from the end of the fender up. Then as a last precaution I taped the new light mount in place and remeasured. A bit off so I got a different right light and repeated. This one matched so I drilled and it looks good. You may see a few that have a bit of a different angle and they will look odd when installed.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:40 AM   #6
Karl Wescott

Item number one in the "tongue in cheek" Ten Commandments for Street Rodders (and Restorers) covers this pretty well.

Ten Commandments for Street Rodders
One: Thou shalt not paint nor plate any part without first testing fit to thy chariot.
Two Thou shall check all bolts for tightness and all welds for completeness before operating thy chariot on the kings highway.
Three Thou shall always check thy chariots oil before starting thy chariots engine after changing thy oil.
Four Thou shalt not cast away any original part before thy chariot is completely finished.
Five Thou shalt not pass by any fuel station when thy chariots gauge may be not reliable.
Six Thou shalt not consume sacred wine, yea any wine, and then drive thy chariot.
Seven Thou shall first study any scriptures provided with any kit before installing.
Eight Thou shall cloth thy self in proper safety arraignment for thy task at hand lest ye be smitten about thy face and hands, yea even thy very person.
Nine Thou shalt not confuse thy can of potables with thy can of extra fuel.
Ten Thou shall confine thy exhibitions of acceleration to the stadium where officers of the kings lands can cheer and not interfere.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #7
SSsssteamer

I have found that the right tail light brackets are not a perfect mirrored match for the left hand tail light brackets. First mount your left hand tail light bracket and it's tail light to the left fender. Don't drill your holes in the right fender until after you have held your right tail light bracket with its tail light up to the right fender. Sight across the tail light housings for matching elevation, spacing, and tilt angles. After locating the right tail light matching location, then mark and drill for your right tail light bracket. The tail lights locations have to match perfectly in the viewer's eyes. The tail light bracket location can vary a half of an inch on the fender and no one would probably ever notice. One could work the right tail light bracket over to perfectly match the left tail light bracket, then a mirrored bracket drilled pattern on the right fender would easily work the first time for matching tail light locations. If you have the option, try to do all of this before you do any paint and primer to the rear fenders.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
TerryO

I started to add a RH tail light a few years ago but while I was measuring I discovered the RH bracket was a different angle from the LH so I quit and returned the light. I recently bought 2 RH and 2 LH LED lights and brackets but I haven't had a chance to check them out. I am hoping LH and RH match up this time.

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 10:09 PM   #9
daveymc29

I acquired a matching pair of chrome plated rear lights that matched each other, but didn't match exactly any other light bracket on any car I owned at the time. The may have come from Speedway, can't remember.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote