Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #1
Bill in Al

Question exhaust gasket - manifold to tailpipe

Anyone know of a source for the gasket for the manifold to tailpipe flange.It seems as tho it should be easy to locate but I can't find 'em. Help-Bill
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: exhaust gasket - manifold to tailpipe

The ones for the 8BA and 8CM pipe to manifold should be available through NAPA. The part number is for the old L-6 engine 1GA-9450 but will fit most 8BA/8CM types. The cross over pipe gaskets are a different part number.

The 18-9448-A for 32 to 48 cars should be available in the exhaust manifold gasket sets 18-9433 that are available through Macs, C&G, Carpenter's, Van Pelts, or any number of other early Ford V8 parts vendors. Best gasket sets should also have them in their sets.
Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Bill in Al

Sorry,I didn't make it clear! I've put duels on my '41 and it's actually the cross over gaskets I need. The duels replace the cross over. At least till I get a set of Rod's manifolds!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #4
Bill in Al

Unhappy Re: exhaust gasket - manifold to tailpipe

Forgot to say ''thanks" Kerby! also-do you happen to have the no's for the crossover gasket? Thanks again--Bill
Old 05-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #5
41ford1

#256-729 Bosal or Victor fits. The number crosses to Saab 900 and '70 & '80 fords. The 2 bolt holes are 7/16" centered on 3" Center hole is 1 3/4" with a steel fire ring.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #6
rotorwrench

The original P/N for the later crossover gaskets is the same as the older pipe to manifold gasket 18-9448-A. Some of the mercury models used a copper and asbestos gasket that was a different part number but was the same size. I think they discontinued those a few years after production stopped on the flatheads in favor of the old part number which is more of a composition gasket with a metal wafer inside.

I had a little trouble finding them for a 51 Mercury crossover & heat riser valve until I found that the old types would work even though not original. We just have to use what we can find these days.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
Bill in Al

Thanks Kerby and 41ford1 What a great help we get from friends never seen!! Bill
Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
richkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Al View Post
Thanks Kerby and 41ford1 What a great help we get from friends never seen!! Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
The original P/N for the later crossover gaskets is the same as the older pipe to manifold gasket 18-9448-A. Some of the mercury models used a copper and asbestos gasket that was a different part number but was the same size. I think they discontinued those a few years after production stopped on the flatheads in favor of the old part number which is more of a composition exhaust gasket with a metal wafer inside.

I had a little trouble finding them for a 51 Mercury crossover & heat riser valve until I found that the old types would work even though not original. We just have to use what we can find these days.

Kerby
I actually don't have any business in here because my questions are already answered any those part numbers are correct dude. What a blessing of info here. Thanks guys you just saved my time, i am such a very busy man. This is really helpful.

Last edited by richkid; 07-16-2011 at 04:55 AM.
richkid is offline   Reply With Quote