Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2020, 08:17 AM   #1
FrankWest

Default original 1933 color engine photos

The original engine color seems to be a mystery. Many suppliers state original paint formula but have a blueish color rather than a green. Are there any original color photos out there of the actual engine color? There were not many color photos around in 1933.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: original 1933 color engine photos

Frank, Roy Nacewicz spent a lot of effort to get the color correct. His offering was definitely more "gray - green" than all the others offered I have witnessed.
I think, but am not 100% certain that Mike Driskell has this now.
Old 04-28-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
FrankWest

I once bought Ray's paint and thought it too gray/blueish but then I never saw an original color photo ether. I always envisioned, maybe wrong, a dark green color.
Old 04-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #4
DavidG

Color photos in Ford's archives prior to 1939 are rarer than hens' teeth and none that I've seen of any castings with the subject green paint. There are some excellent black and white period photos of painted castings on a conveyor at the Rouge Engine Plant which clearly indicate that the paint color was medium in tone, not dark. Portions of two of those are shown below (note the misaligned masking on the side of the four-cylinder block). The other photo is a sample of Roy's paint in place.

Roy used a combination of the original enamel formula and surviving original examples on transmission cases, timing gear covers, water pumps, etc. and on like NOS parts.

Also keep in mind that two cans of paint mixed with the same ingredients at different times are not always a 100% color match.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 024 (2).jpg (65.1 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 012 (2).jpg (123.4 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg misc. 147.jpg (79.0 KB, 138 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
FrankWest

I was told that model A engine paint is Ford Engine green and Hirsch has reproduced it perfectly, , you can also fined at brattons and Snyder. I have this Hirsch paint and it is a very, very dark green almost black? Not sure if that was used on 1933 engines. I always envisioned the color like the green in your picture. This hirsch color is very dark
Old 04-28-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
DavidG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
If so, I would not use it. The color green used was unchanged from the Model As up through at least the '39 models in the U.S., although gray turns up occasionally on engine blocks, etc., especially those made in Canada.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 07:16 PM   #7
FrankWest

Maybe I was dreaming but I imagine the engine color would be something like this
Attached Images
File Type: png engine duplicolor.png (17.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-28-2020, 09:18 PM   #8
koates

Frank, the colour you have shown above is lighter than the original Ford engine green. I suggest you thoroughly stir your paint up and try a little of it on a sample item and let it dry and then see how it looks. It should look considerably darker than your sample. Look at Daves picture of the 32 cylinder head, its correct. I usually use the brush on method of application. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:16 PM   #9
rockfla

Not sure its adding or helping BUT This is a set of heads I painted about a month or so ago using the "Ford Green" from Eckler's (as they are close here in Florida and wanted something quick) BUT it also speaks to DavidG as to lighting and potential mix differences. I think this color is too dark (or appears that way to me) but some shots it looks about right and one shot makes it look blue!!!! So who knows????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39merchead5.jpg (62.4 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 39mercheads3.jpg (47.8 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 1939Mercengine4.jpg (53.8 KB, 47 views)
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #10
cas3

when i paint a motor i use real automotive paint with a hardener so gas wont melt it. if you go to the paint store, then go to the green page in the book, pick the one you like. last time i did it it seemed quite a bit brighter on the test panel, so i added black until i liked it. once done, i sprayed a piece of tin so next time the store can just shoot the tin with they're computer camera and make another batch
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 04:23 PM   #11
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
Not sure its adding or helping BUT This is a set of heads I painted about a month or so ago using the "Ford Green" from Eckler's (as they are close here in Florida and wanted something quick) BUT it also speaks to DavidG as to lighting and potential mix differences. I think this color is too dark (or appears that way to me) but some shots it looks about right and one shot makes it look blue!!!! So who knows????
This color looks like the Hirsch paint for ford green. I used this to paint my model B engine. The problem is that it is dark enough not even to be noticeable.
I prefer the lighter green as shown on DavidG's engine..I guess he mixed the color himself.

It is hard to tell because no one has any photos of the actual paint.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #12
tomcarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
This color looks like the Hirsch paint for ford green. I used this to paint my model B engine. The problem is that it is dark enough not even to be noticeable.
I prefer the lighter green as shown on DavidG's engine..I guess he mixed the color himself.

It is hard to tell because no one has any photos of the actual paint.
Here's a '32 Ford engine. Cringe worthy story. More than 30 years ago my Dad had been looking for a '32 engine to someday put in the 5W. (I'm told they're hard to find). Some guys had bought a "stock" 5W with the intention of making a hotrod. All they were interested in was the body so they sold all the running gear. Supposedly this engine had been rebuilt (see tag). Dad was always gonna open it up to inspect but never did. It has been buried in the garage all these years. These pics were taken under halogen lights and yes it is dirty/dusty. It is believed to be the original paint. It would be a job to get it exhumed and into sunlight but if that will help I can do that. I Googled "Manitoba Bearing Works LTD" with no results. Perhaps someone knows more??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200429_154504_resized.jpg (45.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20200429_154958_resized.jpg (73.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 20200429_154346_resized.jpg (46.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg 20200429_154925_resized.jpg (35.6 KB, 47 views)
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #13
FrankWest

For every one that enters their cars in a show competition. What does the manual say about proper engine color?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:07 AM   #14
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcarman View Post
Here's a '32 Ford engine. Cringe worthy story. More than 30 years ago my Dad had been looking for a '32 engine to someday put in the 5W. (I'm told they're hard to find). Some guys had bought a "stock" 5W with the intention of making a hotrod. All they were interested in was the body so they sold all the running gear. Supposedly this engine had been rebuilt (see tag). Dad was always gonna open it up to inspect but never did. It has been buried in the garage all these years. These pics were taken under halogen lights and yes it is dirty/dusty. It is believed to be the original paint. It would be a job to get it exhumed and into sunlight but if that will help I can do that. I Googled "Manitoba Bearing Works LTD" with no results. Perhaps someone knows more??
excellent photos..that looks like the real thing.....