Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-15-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
Divco one

Default Emergency brake spring

How much tension is on the spring that is on the emergency brake lever? I have new ones to put on. They were missing so I have nothing to freer to.
1930 Model A Sport Coupe.
Thanks
Divco one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:56 PM   #2
Al 29Tudor

Default Re: Emergency brake spring

I don't know how much the load is but it is very high.
What ever it is you can't adjust it.
Not too long ago I installed mine and there are many ways guys here have done it.
I made a loop on the end of a piece of coat hanger wire and pulled each spring around the anchor point.
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
Tom Endy

Your first task is going to be determining which is left and right. They are a mirror image of each other. Some I have seen come color coded red and green. You will also have to take the E-brake levers off the inside of the backing plate to install the springs. The installation of E-brake springs can be a frustrating task.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Marshall V. Daut

Someone on this website once asked what "Fordbarn" readers thought was the most onerous task a worker on the Model A assembly line had to perform. Lots of good suggestions that still cause the modern restorer headaches. My top 5 list would definitely include the p.i.t.a installation of these %$#&* springs, even when the rear end has not yet been installed in the chassis. Can you image doing this task over and over again, eight hours a day for 5 1/2 days a week, month after month? No wonder the turnover rate was so high in Ford assembly plants! Granted, a person would out of necessity have to become VERY good at doing this. But no matter how you slice it, this job s*cks!!! Guilty man has yet to come up with a simple, easy-to-perform way to install these springs without a few cuss words accompanying the job.
My wish would be for the idiot engineer who designed this feature (and never had to install the springs himself) to be doomed to perform this task in the Afterlife for eternity. Maybe then there would be some measure of justice for what he hath wrought upon us restorers!
Marshall

Last edited by Marshall V. Daut; 10-15-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: missing word added
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
MAG

This is from post #3 dated 8-08-2010

Re: Emergency brake lever springs How do you install?
For years I installed them the hard way. Using some kind of hook or heavy wire to pull the spring into the area and somehow twist it over and snap it around the lever Simular to George's pictures. A real pain. Recently I was helping a friend do his brake job and came up with a different method. No tools required. I discovered that I had been assembling all the brake parts and the only thing left to do was the spring. The new approach installs the spring FIRST. Before all the other parts are installed. Procedure as follows:
1. Slip the spring on the E-Brake Actuating Shaft and orient it properly with the straight portion on the housing hub.
2. Install the E-Brake Lever making sure the bent arm (hook)is in front of the Lever.
3. Continue with the brake installation and when the time comes to put the pin in the C Link connecting the E-brake Actuating Shaft it will do so with very little effort.
4. Install the E-Brake Rod.

If you aleady have the brakes assembled you can remove the pin from the C-Link and remove the E-Brake Lever. Then follow the above procedures.

I know fellows.... this sounds too easy because we have all fought this process many times and learned a whole lot of new Englidh terms doing it.
But, think about it. How did they do this job in the factory?
Hope this helps.

10-15-2015
I did this job a couple of weeks ago and the proceedure works as described.
If the radius rod is not installed it is even easier to do. It would be great if some one took pictures of the steps and posted them on one of the WEB sites. Sorry, I did not take pictures.
Old 10-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
Divco one

Releasing the lever from the brake assembly and making a screwdriver with a hook works wonders. Job is done, many thanks.
Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
JtownJoe

Hi Bob, If you are working on the ones on the outside of the backing plate I have had them several times and while they are a pain its not terrible. If its a spring on the actual E-brake lever in the cab I don't know but would be more than happy to stop over and you could look at the how mine is. I have never had the lever spring apart, for what that's worth, just let me know if I can be of any help.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:11 PM   #8
Divco one

Thanks Joe, I made a screwdriver hook and it worked very well.