Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2015, 09:00 AM   #1
sethkestenbaum

Default Transmission install grease?

Les Andrew's book says use 8 pumps of chassis grease in a newly installed transmission's Universal Joint connection. I've also been told to completely pack the Universal Joint with bearing grease. WHICH GREASE IS RIGHT? HOW MUCH? Doesn't the Universal Joint in the transmission eventually get lubed with chassis grease?
Old 06-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Transmission install grease?

It depends on how its being done.
If the clamshell is apart or joint being replaced then its easy to just pack the joint upon assembly.
If everything is assembled then greasing thru the fitting is fine. Remove the speedo drive and fill until grease starts to fill drive cavity.
If the transmission has original type bearings then oil will pass thru the rear bearing mixing with the grease and lube the joint.
If the transmission has a newer sealed rear bearing then the u-joint should be greased with a 'soft' grease such as a mix of grease/oil or John Deere corn head grease, etc.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

use a good quality hi temp wheel bearing grease....everyone has a preference on brand and color but they all do the same thing
remove the speedometer turtle and pump it till it starts coming out of the cavity...
i have found an empty u joint housing will take approx a full 14.5 oz tube...
this is where a air greaser comes in handy....
Carl G and i have the same one made by lincoln
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
Brentwood Bob

This shade tree guy, with no air pump, liberally packs the assembled ujoint with gloved, or ungloved hands, until no more will stick, then assembles.
Top off with a hand pump after assembly.
Expect some will fall off so wear some safety glasses.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #5
redmodelt

I for one woulds rather lie on my back under the car and fill with grease after it's installed then to fight the greasy U-joint into place with grease getting every where. I use a hand pump type grease gun.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:33 PM   #6
Pilotdave

I can vouch for the u-joint's appetite for grease! I recently installed a new-to-my-car u-joint. I pulled one of the speedo drive bolts and commenced to pump grease into the u-joint with my air powered grease gun. I swear that it took nearly and entire tube of grease before grease began to ooze out the bolt hole. FWIW I used regular old implement grease...
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #7
Brentwood Bob

Here is a past thread: repack u joints.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...0913&showall=1

This discussion has been covered.
Bob
Old 06-27-2015, 08:49 PM   #8
BILL WILLIAMSON

My Lord, the ONLY thing in a "U" joint that needs lubricant is the 4 little sleeves/cups, that slip onto the 4 machined down ends of the "U" joint CROSS!! GREASE WON'T work into that extremely close fitting clearance! BESIDES that, the sleeves just move a minute amount of degrees, back & forth on the CROSS. The GREASE just gets "WHIRRED" out in the BIG cavity, BUT it probably would prevent RUST, if you ran your car into the RIVER.
The grease fitting was designed JUST for where the torque tube bell moves up & down few degrees.
"MAYBE" the filling the whole innards with grease was contrived by a Grease Company, to BOOST GREASE SALES??
A friend who has FOREVER been a proponent of the grease "THING", just BROKE his U_JOINT, it DIDN'T wear out cross or cups, just BROKE the CAGE, go figger?? A new "U" joint, installed with just 4 squirts of motor oil, would probably last for 37 1/2 years!
Grease is meant to be used, SPARINGLY, in the proper places. I've seen some that stuff the WHOLE front hubs FULL, with wheel bearing grease, "Maybe" they were going to see if they could launch their car into the RIVER, ALSO! That practice would be OK for a BOAT trailer, or an AMPHICAR which uses its' FRONT WHEELS, for RUDDERS.
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-28-2015 at 06:46 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
RonC

Ford specifies in the services bulletins for the AA trucks to pre pack the joint with 8 ounces of grease (about half a tube).

Ford specified to use “universal joint” grease which was 600w oil thicken up with sodium tallow soap. Ford also stated that the universal grease was not as thick as wheel bearing grease.

The specification I found for Universal Grease in the November 1932 Ford Service Bulletin has a ASTM Worked Penetration of 310-330 which equates to NGLI 1 “tomato paste” grease. The multi purpose grease used in wheel bearings is thicker, NLGI grade 2 grease.

Here's a chart of grease grades: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_Grade

A lot of people use the John Deere "Corn head Grease" for the universal joint which is an NLGI grade is 0.

Here's a link for buying corn head grease:
http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-D...-AN102562.html
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #10
sethkestenbaum

Wow, I read the posts here and the ones that Bob linked to as well.... I now have no idea what is correct and have concerns that the high temp bearing grease I packed it with will do nothing and burn out.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:25 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethkestenbaum View Post
Wow, I read the posts here and the ones that Bob linked to as well.... I now have no idea what is correct and have concerns that the high temp bearing grease I packed it with will do nothing and burn out.
Will anyone that has had a U-joint fail due to lack of lubrication or wrong grease let Seth know!

(I don't expect a single response)
Old 06-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #12
Patrick L.

Quote:

Yep, your probably right ! So how about just putting the car up for sale and let me buy it.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
DIDN'T mean to worry you, Seth,
Your grease WON'T harm anything & U-Joints don't ever just "BURN OUT"!
I "thought" about drilling a 1/8" hole in Vermins' rear housing & squirting enough 600W in it, to form a "puddle", for the U Joint cups/sleeves to "DIP" into, when parked.
Bill W.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #14
Barry B./ Ma.

I just give the Ujoint a few shots of grease with the hand pump when i lube the chassis. I don't think Ford overlubed the housing for every car, that would be a lot of grease.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Will anyone that has had a U-joint fail due to lack of lubrication or wrong grease let Seth know!

(I don't expect a single response)
Holy knock knock Batman! What's making all that nosie?

Somebody didn't think grease was important.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg U-joint AA.jpg (57.4 KB, 43 views)
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Seth filling the cavity with 14.5 oz's of WB grease will not form a hollow cavity.. from the HEAT of the powertrain it will loosen up and contact the joint....
dont be confused just carry on..
Old 06-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #17
harleytoprock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Seth filling the cavity with 14.5 oz's of WB grease will not form a hollow cavity.. from the HEAT of the powertrain it will loosen up and contact the joint....
dont be confused just carry on..
How do you think the grease will enter the u-joint bearings? It would take a lot pressure to force grease into the couple thou clearance in the bearings. Also high temp WB grease will not liquify at the low temps of the u-joint area. You have a better shot with "corn head grease". Don't forget what the centrifugal force will do to the grease when the joint is spinning at 2000 rpm. I'm with Bill with the 600W idea.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #18
Patrick L.

Its always seemed to me that some don't read all the posts.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:12 PM   #19
Tom Wesenberg

I filled mine and a few others with Mystik JT-6 High Temp red grease 15 years ago, and all are doing fine. Grease will migrate some, plus the cross in the U-joints moves some and it drags the grease along with the movement. Each time the housing is greased, the grease gets to the bell part and then to the inside and adds to the grease already there. Have no fear...........it works.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:15 PM   #20
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleytoprock View Post
How do you think the grease will enter the u-joint bearings? It would take a lot pressure to force grease into the couple thou clearance in the bearings. Also high temp WB grease will not liquify at the low temps of the u-joint area. You have a better shot with "corn head grease". Don't forget what the centrifugal force will do to the grease when the joint is spinning at 2000 rpm. I'm with Bill with the 600W idea.
YEA what tom said
Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
Brentwood Bob

Seth, sometimes we give out more information than you asked for, however, Grease is good, no grease is bad. I would venture to say that the only time the ujoint is exposed is when the rear end is pulled, or the transmission. So you should add grease now as insurance, and one less thing to fret over.
Bob
Old 06-28-2015, 11:34 PM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Holy knock knock Batman! What's making all that nosie?

Somebody didn't think grease was important.
Got me! I should have said due to too few pumps, not total lack of pumps.
Old 06-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #23
sethkestenbaum

In speaking with a few folks who have shops that rebuild Model As (and/or their engines), the consensus seems to simply be "pack it with bearing grease" and "ignore the Les Andrews 8 pump instructions". I don't have any definitive answer, but figure that this is likely "better than good enough" and wanted to post what I did for those who were following. I also plan to pull the rear end of the car in the next two years. When I do, I will check for wear/tear and see if this method is the right one.