Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
'31 Patina

Default Reverse Eye Front Spring

Does anybody have any suggestions where I can buy just the main front spring with reverse eyes? I've found a few places but they sell the complete spring set. I just need the main leaf.

Thanks for the help.
'31 Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 AM   #2
QGolden

Default Re: Reverse Eye Front Spring

I do not, but that being said, I made mine. It was easy and took less than an hour. I used a hydraulic press, but it can be done several ways. I took the spring out of a stock assembly. Layed it on its side on the floor. Traced the arch with chalk. Measured the length of the spring, and put a chalk mark every two inches. Put the spring into the press and starting two inches from the center point, I tweaked it. I wanted to be sure I put an even arch in it, so I pumped the handle until the ram made contact with the spring, then pumped the cylinder 2 and a half strokes. Released the pressure, moved the the next chalk mark, and repeat. When I got to the end I went back to two inches on the other side of center and repeated to the other end. I did the process three times and wound up with a prefect arch that matched the original, with the eyes up. I left 4 inches in the center untouched. For me it arched anyway because my fixture that set against the spring is 4 inches wide, but I did not want to bend the very center where the bolt hole is.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
Uncle Bob

And if you choose not to do it yourself: http://www.verntardel.com/collection...sed-eye-spring

Also has the rear.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
CarlG

Just to hazard a guess, but I suppose A Springs would be willing to sell you just the main leaf.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

Any large truck/front end shop should be able to reverse it for you OR make a new one .
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #6
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by QGolden View Post
I do not, but that being said, I made mine. It was easy and took less than an hour. I used a hydraulic press, but it can be done several ways. I took the spring out of a stock assembly. Layed it on its side on the floor. Traced the arch with chalk. Measured the length of the spring, and put a chalk mark every two inches. Put the spring into the press and starting two inches from the center point, I tweaked it. I wanted to be sure I put an even arch in it, so I pumped the handle until the ram made contact with the spring, then pumped the cylinder 2 and a half strokes. Released the pressure, moved the the next chalk mark, and repeat. When I got to the end I went back to two inches on the other side of center and repeated to the other end. I did the process three times and wound up with a prefect arch that matched the original, with the eyes up. I left 4 inches in the center untouched. For me it arched anyway because my fixture that set against the spring is 4 inches wide, but I did not want to bend the very center where the bolt hole is.

Interesting concept, that is something I would try if I had a spare main spring leaf.

How many miles have you on this rebent spring and have you hit many good bumps to test it out?

I have pressed and re arched spring leaves to flat and then sharpened them for blades when making a large home built ride on mower.
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #7
QGolden

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post

How many miles have you on this rebent spring and have you hit many good bumps to test it out?.
None. My build is still in progess. But I am not breaking any new ground here. The process has been tried and true for a very long time.

My Grandfather used to re-arch springs in sagging cars with a hydraulic jack under the lift in the garage back in the 50's and 60's.

It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.- Unknown
QGolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
steve hackel

Try the web-site www.a-springs.com after checking it out, give Travis a call and tell him what you are planning on doing and he will help you out. His springs & main leafs are all made in the USA and are great quality; I have used his services 3 times now, and have never had an issue with reversed eye main leafs. good luck
steve hackel is offline   Reply With Quote