Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #1
wbs

Default stuck distributor puller

hello- it was suggested to get a puller-in looking at the mac's catalog, it says to thread the puller screw into the dist., do they mean to remove the screw immediately seen when the rotor is removed and put the puller screw there? sorry to be so basic, i'm a beginner

--also when using penetrating substance, do i squirt in the set screw removed area or at the junction of dist. cast iron housing and head?
finally, since my whole point is removing the armored cable so i can remove the gas tank, and i don't care about 100% authenticity, what if i cut the armor and its inner wire to allow tank removal, then splice in piece of elec. wire to reestablish the circuit after tank reinsertion?

Last edited by wbs; 06-29-2015 at 08:33 AM. Reason: incomplete
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #2
Joop

Default Re: stuck distributor puller

take off the dash in the car, Loosen the popout (if you have one) Drain the water out of the radiator,
remove cable clamp from engine block and turn your popout cable slowly out and pull it from the inside behind the dash.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Henry1953

I wouldn't cut it. You will have to get the distributor out sooner or later, you may as well go ahead and pull it now. Put some penetrating oil on top of the head as well as the set screw hole. The alignment pin may be stuck in the top of the head contributing to the difficulty getting it to come out.
Henry1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:10 AM   #4
Charles Coe

Yes, the puller screws into the top of the distributor shaft once you remove the cam screw. You can use Joop's instructions to remove the switch with the distributor in place. I would not cut the armored cable.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #5
700rpm

You will regret cutting that cable, IF you can even do it. They are very strong, not to mention valuable.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #6
Roger V

Since you're talking about the puller and penetrating oil, the distributor casting must be stuck. Or are you assuming you need to get a puller, etc.? If you don't really know it's stuck or it is "lightly" stuck, you could flood the area between the head and the distributor. Make sure the set screw is completely removed to insure the tip isn't catching in the groove of the distributor. Then gingerly (how's that for a word?) pry up between the distributor and the head on opposing sides with a couple of screwdrivers. Only do this with light pressure. Most of the time it works. Just don't break off the distributor base in the head or you'll have to remove the head and drive it out.
Roger V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #7
1955cj5

This is the distributor set screw.....I didn't know how to tighten or loosen the distributor at first either....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1080468.JPG (139.0 KB, 36 views)
1955cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:35 PM   #8
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
This is the distributor set screw.....I didn't know how to tighten or loosen the distributor at first either....
loosen the nut then the screw that is threaded for the nut.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #9
BILL WILLIAMSON

There are some folks that NEED some QUALIFIED, HANDS ON, HELP.
Bill W.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
.... since my whole point is removing the armored cable so i can remove the gas tank, and i don't care about 100% authenticity, what if i cut the armor and its inner wire to allow tank removal, then splice in piece of elec. wire to reestablish the circuit after tank reinsertion?
A working pop out switch is valued at between 200 and 400.00. Sure you want to cut it?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

I would never purposely damage a good original part just to try to make some job easier. If the distributor is stuck, then buy the puller and make the job easy. Also spray Kroil in the setscrew hole and at the base where it meets the head.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #12
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I would never purposely damage a good original part just to try to make some job easier. If the distributor is stuck, then buy the puller and make the job easy. Also spray Kroil in the setscrew hole and at the base where it meets the head.
Tom,
I grind off the distributor locating dowel pin & just align it by "eye" Then, if it ever seizes, I can turn it with a hammer a drift, to rotate it & break it loose. I grind a SHARP point on the distributror locating screw, to lessen the chance of it ever turning. I also, put lots wheel bearing grease in the hole & push the distributor down & the excess "squishes" out & "hopefully" leaves no room for condensation to accumulate in the distributor bore in the head.
Moisture in the head bore, seized up & RUINED Minervas' beautiful Mallory Distributor, even though it had sealed, never to be lubricated, bearings ! Sacramento Vintage wouldn't warranty it, but was kind enough to give me a HEALTHY DISCOUNT on a NEW one!!!
Bill W.

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 06-30-2015 at 11:46 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #13
wbs

thanks to all who reponded- i never did get the dist off but by disconnecting the ign. cable and wire from the coil to key end of cable and removing a rubber tube that the ign cable passed thru the firewall , i was able by simultaneous rotating tthe cable end on the passenger side and the dist. side ctr clockwise unscrew the nipple from the distr. and i was in business . thanks again to all answered.
by the way does anyone happen to know where i can get a 5/16-28 tpi bolt? it's a non standard bolt
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote