Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Matt in Alameda

Default Drake's 39 pedal assembly

Bob Drake sells a new 1939 clutch/brake assembly that will take the original single cylinder master cylinder or a dual cylinder. I do not know what the advantage of a dual cylinder over a single is....can someone please explain the differences? Thank-you,...Matt in Alameda
Matt in Alameda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Kahuna

Default Re: Drake's 39 pedal assembly

Matt
It's just to make the front and rear braking systems separate. Same as new cars have been since about 1968. Not too sure it's better, but just my opinion
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
COE Dan

The whole idea behind a dual master cylinder is to have two independent hydraulic systems. One runs the front brakes; the other runs the rear. In case you develop a leak or failure of any hydraulic component, the probability of both systems losing pressure simultaneously is very low. Unless of course your component failure is the master cylinder in which case you may lose both.

Ultimately, the idea is a theoretically safer braking system. Whether it is better or not is opinion. A well serviced, routinely inspected single master cylinder system works just as well.

COE Dan
COE Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Fe26

Quote:
Originally Posted by COE Dan View Post
The whole idea behind a dual master cylinder is to have two independent hydraulic systems. One runs the front brakes; the other runs the rear. In case you develop a leak or failure of any hydraulic component, the probability of both systems losing pressure simultaneously is very low. Unless of course your component failure is the master cylinder in which case you may lose both.

Ultimately, the idea is a theoretically safer braking system. Whether it is better or not is opinion. A well serviced, routinely inspected single master cylinder system works just as well.

COE Dan
A few years ago we were delivering a forging on the workshops 1980 Mitsubishi truck. We drove over the Sydney Harbour Bridge, along the Warringah Expressway to the first turnoff. Fortunately for other drivers and their passengers around and in front of us the off ramp has a slope upwards and a free turn to the left lane at the traffic lights at the top of the intersection.

I changed down a gear and put my foot on the brake pedal, which went straight to the floor, for anyone who hasn't experienced 'that' I can assure you, it's a heart stopping moment.

The Gods were smiling on us as we crossed three lanes of traffic. By
using the gears and the handbrake we were able to use the free turn lane, we took the bend fast and then cruised for a block in second gear using as much handbrake as we could. We (and others) were very lucky no-one was in our way, we went through a red light at the next intersection and coasted to a stop on another uphill slope.

The mechanic was really perplexed as to why Mitsubishi would use a single cylinder master cylinder especially on a truck, and this was a 1980 vehicle.

If you have a choice between a dual and single cylinder I would suggest the dual would obviously be safer. If your choice impacted on a judging decision at a show I would lend my voice to have dual cylinders exempted on safety grounds.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:39 AM   #5
36tbird

Dual m/c's are like seat belts. They may not have been on your old Ford originally, but it is one of those advances that definitely should be incorporated for safety.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
al pa.

Matt,you may want to inquire on fordbarn,to those who have already used this product,concerning quality,and fit issues,as you may have seen in previous posts on offshore products. my .02 cents.
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
Deuce Man

I had a 59 willys suburban a few years back, Nice old original colorado vehicle. After my fun meter got up to the full mark with it I put it in hemmings. A guy from New Jersey bought it and had a transporter pick it up.My willys was the last car on the back, wouldnt you know, after driving the wheels off on this thing for quite some time, the brake pedal went right to the floor just as I got on to the transporter. Thanks to a good emergency brake and fast fading but still somewhat functional reflexes I managed to hold it right where the driver wanted it,I am sure he cussed me a bunch ,as he had a lot of cars to drop off before mine and said using the emergency was no problem for him. I am glad this didnt happen on the road, what a catastrophy that could have been. A dual system would have been cheap insurance against this, I would never have an old ford without one! Rich.
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
Brendan

your willys must have been mad that you sold it!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:58 AM   #9
FL&WVMIKE

I drove a nice 1953 Victoria, as my everyday car, back in the early 70s. One time, while waiting at the bottom of a steep hill, for traffic to pass, My foot, on the brake pedal, went to the floor and I drifted out into the main road. Luckily, for me, it was when the traffic broke. It was the brake fluid line that rusted through.
I will never depend on one cylinder again ! That was scarey !
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
37 Coupe

That is why you have an emergency brake,now called parking brake.
Old 10-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
36tbird

If you decide that you want an original '39 pedal assy, PM me.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
37ford4dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fe26 View Post
I changed down a gear and put my foot on the brake pedal, which went straight to the floor, for anyone who hasn't experienced 'that' I can assure you, it's a heart stopping moment. .....

If you have a choice between a dual and single cylinder I would suggest the dual would obviously be safer.

i am with you on this one....i had one of those moments in a 1965 chev PU and its not fun.....
37ford4dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:15 PM   #13
barnfind

I was going to start a new thread but found this one.
I have been looking at cost of acquring and rebuilding a 39 pedal assy versus the new cost of the reproductions.

Has anyone used a Drake 1939 brake pedal assy?
Satisfied with the quality and fit?
Are they the same source as the lower cost eBay clones?
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #14
32phil

I would check with Richard @ the Early V8 Garage. He has some solid info on dual MCs
Old 01-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #15
PeteVS

When one of the hydraulic lines rusted out on my 2000 Ranger pick'emup, it was rolling down my driveway. Pedal went nearly to the floor and it stopped. Wouldn't have wanted it to happen in traffic, but the remaining brakes were better than nothing.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:48 PM   #16
barnfind

My question is not about dual master cylinders - totally agree that is the best setup.
Trying to decide on buying the reproduction 39 pedals versus find a swap meet set and deal with rebuilding them.
thanks
Old 01-15-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
29AVEE8

I have never seen one of the Drake units but I had a question about whether the pedal arms were cast or forged like Henry made them. About third hand anecdotal evidence suggests that the Drake units are cast as I assumed. If you are needing to re contour the clutch pedal for clearance as is sometimes required on an earlier than 1939 chassis, then I think the cast units would not work. Like I said this is not first hand experience.
Old 01-15-2014, 04:24 PM   #18
Zeke...PA

Here is a dual cylinder set up. Zeke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piping 030.jpg (58.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 01-15-2014, 04:30 PM   #19
barnfind

Did you redrill the MC mounting holes on factory pedals or is the the Drake repro?
Or is there an adapter plate?
Old 01-15-2014, 04:51 PM   #20
deuce lover

Looks like an adapter w/orig 39 pedal assy like what I used in my 36.Finding the bushings to rebuild the 39 pedals was the biggest challenge. I used a dual MC available from NAPA or Amazon($40) that has a 7/8" bore and the ports face the outer frame.Makes a clean install and like having power brakes.

Last edited by deuce lover; 01-15-2014 at 04:58 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote