Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
Bob Drake Repro

Default Bob Drake Notebook Style Catalog

Fordbarners, this is in response to some earlier questions about our notebook style, loose leaf catalog. We thought this was a great idea. Once completed, it would be simple to keep everyone updated with pricing and new parts monthly. All that would need to be done was to print the updated pages and send them out... no need to print a whole catalog every year, everyone could be up to date always.

Unfortunately, we failed in this project because we simply did not have the manpower to complete it.

We never charged more than $29.95 for the catalog subscription and since it was discontinued long ago, we gave everyone that purchased one a $50 coupon towards parts in addition to the coupon that came with the catalog.

Maybe we can try something like this in the future, but for now we are working on our next "big" 500+ page catalog available soon.

Bob
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #2
al pa.

Default Re: Bob Drake Advertising

Is fordbarn now an advertising medium,on this forum?
al pa. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
denson1932

Default Re: Bob Drake Notebook Style Catalog

I can't believe the hostility towards several of our home grown USA old Ford parts suppliers. Personally i think the quality of current repop parts is awesome and the prices for the most are reasonable. The technical help they offer us is to be commended. I dont have any problem with Bob Drake explaining possible catalog offerings that are not even a money-maker. A good parts catalog is worth whatever postage i have to pay to get it, as a source of information!
denson1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
Milt/Las Vegas

What's wrong with you guys?I thought he was very informative,and with so many of you bashing him.I hope Ryan leaves it alone.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:26 AM   #5
Frank The Plumber

Bob Drake Repo Corporation, Please feel free to contribute some funding to our friend Ryan, This site costs him money and time to operate. If you do not I would see it as just that he close your thread as it is promotional advertising more than informative. Be square with the man. Respectfully. The Plumber.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #6
alanwoodieman

us old guys remember when we called Bob Drake, Dennis Carpenter and actually talked to one of them or another car "guy" and they helped us thru the order process, even when we were lost, now when you call most of the car guys are gone that we talked to and we get an "order taker" that is not a car guy or gall at all and sometimes both sides do not know how to communicate. As Bob is an astute businessman he investigated the allagations against his company before he wrote the "Letter" that started all this controversy. I have been buying parts for 35 years from these guys and yes there have been problems with parts, but except for one instance the problem was solved to my satisfaction. As an observation I would rather pay more than get less for my parts
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
19Fordy

Bob, I look forward to getting the new 500 + page catalog you are planning. I think your first BIG Winter 1990 catalog was you best ever. It's now a collectible. Also, if it weren't for you my 40 (and I suspect many others)would still be a pile of parts. I still have one your first gas caps and one of your old "wooden nickels". Thanks for all that you do to help those of us who don't have access to a large stash of Henry's original parts. Don't stop now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5098 (Small).jpg (48.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5099 (Small).jpg (36.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5100 (Small).jpg (42.7 KB, 28 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #8
35window

Thank you Bob Drake for making the parts I need to complete my project-
35window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #9
Bob Drake Repro

Guys, not an advertisement. Simply information given to answer some earlier posts on this board. If you don't contact us directly and only post here, this is the only way for us to respond to your question(s).

Bob
Bob Drake Repro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:18 AM   #10
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by denson1932 View Post
I can't believe the hostility towards several of our home grown USA old Ford parts suppliers. Personally i think the quality of current repop parts is awesome and the prices for the most are reasonable. The technical help they offer us is to be commended. I dont have any problem with Bob Drake explaining possible catalog offerings that are not even a money-maker. A good parts catalog is worth whatever postage i have to pay to get it, as a source of information!
I agree. Give the guy a break. IMHO, after all the posts complaining about poor customer service, product quality, inaccurate descriptions, etc., he's trying to respond and establish some rapport with the forum. JMTWC.
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
4dFord/SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dFord/SC View Post
I agree. Give the guy a break. IMHO, after all the posts complaining about poor customer service, product quality, inaccurate descriptions, etc., he's trying to respond and establish some rapport with the forum. JMTWC.
Speaking of quality control, hat should be JMTCW
4dFord/SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
BoxCar Tom

Wow, complain, complain, complain, then when he defends himself you complain about that too. Years ago I talked directly with BD at Hershey about the demise of the subscription catalog. He ignored paying customers and took the time to completely explain what happened, case closed. You guys need to get a life!
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #13
Frank The Plumber

Bob, a 5% alliance vendor discount for HAMB members would go a long way for our friend here and it would help you immensely, I budget roughly 15% of my annual gross sales towards advertising which equates to roughly 40% of my net. Given the fact that 5% is a lot less than 15% and the love that many of us have for this forum and the HAMB, trust me, if I could advertise on this site in front of a captive audience for a mere 5% of my gross annual sales I would do it in a heart beat. True you do not have the tangible receipts as a deduction from your ledger but at the end of the day the cost factor differential more than compensates for the lack of tangible deduction. You would still be saving 4 or 5 % on gross over conventional advertising medium. This is of course based upon my ad rates per capita, yours may be more or less however I am also sure that your gross revenue reflects higher factors thus equating to larger sum savings. Respectfully, The Plumber.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Drake Repro View Post
Guys, not an advertisement. Simply information given to answer some earlier posts on this board. If you don't contact us directly and only post here, this is the only way for us to respond to your question(s).

Bob
Right on Bob!! Although I really didn't care for the post that singled out one complainer, I definitely do welcome your informative posts here about your 40 fenders, your catalogs, etc. Welcome to the Fordbarn community! Posting here is far better than ignoring the complainers and letting them post all sorts of negative things about you, your company and your products. Thank God we have you and the other manufacturers in this hobby who are willing to step up and make parts to restore our cars and keep these old Fords on the road. Three Cheers for Bob Drake!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #15
bbrocksr

Bob, Keep the info coming, There are far more that appreciate it than those few that don't.
A satisfied Bob Drake customer, Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:20 PM   #16
Scott H

Who is this Bob Drake person you all are talking about, I'm only familiar with Scott Drake (I used to be a wholesale purchaser) LOL

I'd rather have Bob post a few comments here and there and get the info straight from the source, rather than get all the gossip and rumors about whatever the rant of the week is.

Now if he were to start posting "This week's special Door Handles, Buy one Get one free" or some such nonsense, then NO, he shouldn't be using this forum.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
roadster36
BANNED

Frank, do you really think that way ? Do some homework, Ryan has done quite well for himself thanks to this site and the HAMB. Follow the money trail and you will see the true reasons for many things in life. Make no mistake about it, the sites are great, the sites are an asset, but they are also a source of income. That is what makes America great. As far a Bob Drake is concerned, he made good on his promises to me, Wes saw to it. I cannot denegrate the man fo following through on his commitments. The hobby would be in a different place without vendors like Bob Drake. I know it makes my life a bit easier.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 PM   #18
Kahuna

What Roadster36 said X 2
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:02 PM   #19
Gary in La.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
Bob Drake Repo Corporation, Please feel free to contribute some funding to our friend Ryan, This site costs him money and time to operate. If you do not I would see it as just that he close your thread as it is promotional advertising more than informative. Be square with the man. Respectfully. The Plumber.
In all fairness I don't see this as an equitable request. There are many members on this forum that also offer parts and services for sale. This is a site available to members with the same interests and goals which is help with old Ford projects. Would you expect these members to provide pay for this also or just large businesses as Bob Drake? He has stepped up to the plate rather than just listening to a lot of whinning and offered good info and a willingness to help. Give him a chance to prove his worth to all of us.
I've done business with Bob Drake for 30+ years and have no real complaints. The few issue that came up were readily solved with no hassel. Where would a lot of these old Fords be without investors like him.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM   #20
Lawrie

I sometimes take it for granted that if I need nearly ANY part for my old fords I just order them and they are here,
I have friends with other makes of old cars and they are green with envy at the availibility of parts for the old fords I have.
In a nutshell, we are very fortunate to have many good supliers.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote