Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
yachtsmanbill

Default Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

WOW... I feel like Im walking on a freshly oiled floor. Must be from that 12 volt starter leaking all over the place. Actually, I have one of the fEW model Ts that does not leak oil. After the fresh overhaul and all summer, I did add a quart, but it really only needed a pint. Was Ford IRISH??? LOL...

So heres the new dilema fellas; ALL 12 volts all the time; remember that, OK? I just installed the new Becker and son 12 volt one wire alternator.Its a basic 40amp DELCOTRON with an internal, self exciting regulator.
I need a copy (here) of the OEM wiring schematic in black, with a correction in RED to show me what I need to know. I get confused on the switch back when starting and charging on battery, then switching and still charging on MAG. Thats with a generator. Does the cutout turn the generator on and off? I dont think so... if you turn the key on, the ammeter will show a discharge until its started. If the engine is OFF and you turn the switch to MAG, will it still show a discharge?
I can wire the alt. so it charges when the switch is on BATT, but is there a contact for charging when in the MAG position? As a last reort, I can install a toggle switch strictly for the charging circuit, and even have an idiot light next to it so I don forget to turn it off.
I have 4 of these alternators on my boats, but I forget if you merely shut down the engines, and the one wire is still "HOT", depending on residual magnetism on the fields to excite the unit. IDEAS? Comments?? ws

As a side bar, I will not EVER ask this question across the hall. Thats WAY WAY worser than asking about water pumps or sealed beam headlights! Happy Holidays. I sure hope the babbit thrust washers dont fail as we approach that fiscal cliff. WHOAAA NELLY!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
tmodelman

Default Re: Model T... all 12 volt all the time.

The alt/gen goes thru the ammeter to the battery (yellow) wire. Doesn't ever get to the ignition switch directly, only when the ignition switch is on BATT, same with MAG, you sure don't want any DC volts going to the magneto ever......dead magnets!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 303312.jpg (53.8 KB, 122 views)
tmodelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
tmodelman

This earlier post mentions the use of an alternator, and to just simply wire it direct to the battery, don't go thru the T ammeter, it won't handle alt amps.

http://fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24849
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

Thats the perfect schematic! THANKS TMM !! Woodja believe my service manual doesnt show that?
So what I am seeing is that the cutout is actually working as an on-off switch. Where I get confused, is will the ammeter show a discharge if not running but switch in mAG position? Looks like not. I should know this as Ive owned 10 Ts over the years but NEVER paid attention. Flip it to MAG and she runs so lets go!!!
Now, where does that leave me with the alternator? Merely shut off the ignition and the stopped engine will cause the regulator to turn the unit off? If thats the case, Id still rather have a switch in the line. I do know that the battery goes throught the ignition switches on the boats AND theres a 70Amp inline fuse at the alternators. On the old 3 wire alts, the big battery post was always hot. ws
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 PM   #5
tmodelman

Never have run an alt on a Model T, just the std gen. The cut-out serves to prevent battery discharge when not running the gen. Without that device, the battery would be drained to ground thru the gen.

Most folks with T gen use the Fun Project regulator, that precisely does what is inside modern alternators. It tells when to charge the battery and when to not, and it stops current flow from the battery too.

A std T gen will keep on volting the battery all the time it is turning, the cutout does not regulate. That is why back ago, most folks ran headlamps to burn off the excess current to the battery. Simple way.

Or I used to place a toggle switch in the cutout wire, and then to ground. Flip the switch when running and grounded the gen, so the battery would not cook. Pic shows the toggle switch under the dash with wires to ground out the generator while on long day tours.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DCP_1558 (550x367).jpg (156.6 KB, 64 views)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
yachtsmanbill

YUP! I ran an old T we had with no battery and you know where thats leading eh? ws
Old 12-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
tmodelman

Maybe a smokin' hot gen
Old 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
Doug Money

With a self exciting regulator, the alternator has to turn fast enough to exite the field and turn on the alt. Connect lead straight to battery and you are set.
Doug Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
yachtsmanbill

As barbaric as this may look, am I on the right track? With OEM, the switch is powered through the ammeter. Im gonna use a VOLTMETER instead and will have an auxilliary switch to turn that on and off. That way the charging circuit will be isolated from the rest of the system. Make sense? ws

Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
yachtsmanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmodelman View Post
Maybe a smokin' hot gen
Blew solder all over the side of the hood! ws
Old 12-14-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
Doug Money

If you put a switch on the power lead from a self excited alternator, when the engine comes to speed, it is the equivalent of having the battery disconnected. Not something you want to do.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #12
yachtsmanbill

Im trying to utilize the terminal block. The alt is a direct connection to the battery AND to the hot (coil) side of the OEM switch with a toggle switch ONLY on the voltmeter leg. It wont matter whether or not the meter is turned "on" or "off". The hot side of the switch will run the coils, and also power for the lights' side. MAG will remain independent of any back feed on the DC side of things. Plausable? ws
Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #13
Doug Money

I was just reiterating that the connection from the alt to the battery needs to remain constant and not switched. It sounds like you have it figured out from your description above.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #14
yachtsmanbill

WHEW!! The last move is to make the connections and check for voltage draw between the post and the clamp. Itll probably give me 12 volts and then to check that bridge with an ammeter... Ahooga-chugga-chug!!
Did you work for ComEd at Braidwood? ws
Old 12-15-2012, 01:14 AM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Is there any reason one could not simply place a wire from A to C?
Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Doug Money

No Bill, I moved here from the city to get away from the problems.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
yachtsmanbill

Where in the city? I was from LaGrange and then all over but spent 30 years at ComEd at Pulaski and the Stevenson. Also had several classes at Braidwood Nuclear plant. During Viet Nam, my dad had a job with AM General testing the 5 ton military dump trucks. They were stored at Greer training center by I55. I used to ride around putting on miles with him and doing "gradability" tests up the hills at the strip mines. At 14 I drove one of theose 6X6s up that hill. The old man said put it in 1st gear and floor it and DO NOT BACK OFF THE THROTTLE! All I saw was blue sky in front and dirt in the mirrors. Also did some excellent fossil hunting out there and we'd also run the motorcycles out there to swim at a mine at 129 (?) and Wilmington (Strip Mine) road. Think thats all condos now no? ws

Crawford Generating Station 3501 S. Pulaski They are now tearing it down thanks to the bunny huggers and ROM!
Old 12-15-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Doug Money

I grew up in Dolton and Hyde Park. I moved to Blue Island for a few years and then headed south. I am about 300 feet off of 129 and almost a stones throw north of ComEd. 129 and Strip Mine hasn't changed. 129 and Coal City Road is now called Shadow Lakes and is Park Model Trailers and houses.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
yachtsmanbill

I can just about picture where you are... I gotta ask you what year you graduated from high school and where... I have a bunch of friends and relatives in Dolton, Blue Island, and cal city. Until I moved up here 2 years ago, I kept my boats in Dolton and Cal city (Burnham) on Torrence avenue at 140th. Believe you me, I know why you moved! ws

The biggest boat there is my 65 foot Hatteras and my 36 foot Roamer is on the ground just outa the pic. This is right across from the O'brien lock and dam.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
yachtsmanbill

Just goofed off today... got my replacement tool post for the SB 9" lathe today and assembled the antique wol whistle... hope it sounds this good! ws
WATCH THE VIDEO AT THE BOTTOM !!

WATCH THE VIDEO !!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNN3rx7Li40

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 12-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Doug Money

Thornridge class of 79
Old 12-15-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
Doug Money

I used to do freelance work at the marina along the tracks at 138th and Cottage Grove. It looks like it is called Marine Services now.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
yachtsmanbill

Yeah... John Walsh and Fred Baron took over from Bob Dolegale in about '85 or so. Now John Jr. runs it. Kept my Roamer there in 1982 and it was a dive then. Its substantially better now. What kinda freelance work did you do?
Thornridge was at 142nd and Cottage Grove right? I knew several grads from the early 70's I worked with at Edison. Greg Wills with a twin sister, Dave Dzialikewicz, Robin Muldoon to name a few... ws
Old 12-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #24
Doug Money

I worked on a few of the peoples boats, but not for the marina. This was in about 1983. Yes it was pretty much a dive then. I know the marina didn't like me being there and wanted all of the work themselves. Thornridge is at Sibley and Cottage.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
yachtsmanbill

Sorry... I meant 147th and I know the difference!

So hows the weather out there? Just about the whole midwest got nailed except for about a 4 square mile area right on the shores of balmy Lake Michigan in beautiful Two Rivers, and Im right in the middle of that. I shoveled 1/4" of slush off the sidewalk before that freezes, and about 6 blocks to the west got 10". Maybe my luck is changing... ws
Old 12-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #26
Doug Money

Nothing here yet. Temp is down to 31 but no white stuff. We always miss the weather here. Everyone says it's the cooling lakes that shifts everything a little north or a little south.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #27
yachtsmanbill

I know the cooling lakes are regulated for quantity and are deep well supplied. Are the mines low on water? Lake Michigan is getting critically low and we REALLY need a wet winter! ws
Old 12-21-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
Doug Money

No, we are fine here. I remember back in '88, it became critical and they brought in heavy equipment and dug a trench several miles long connecting all of the cooling lakes to cool the plant. They went right through roads and people's yards. They had a court order and wasted no time.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #29
yachtsmanbill

Have a gander at the swap meet side. Just listed a pile of stuff! ws
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #30
yachtsmanbill

BE FOREWARNED !!! Spam and pfishing is rampant across the hall mainly from the classified section. posted an ad here last week and finally got hit. This is about the most BLATANT attempt yet. Feel free to pass this info along. Is it ever gonna cease???? ws

Hello,

How are you doing? I want to be honest with you this is not legal,but I have a way for you to earn money from home without getting into trouble. You will not be involved in the cashing of checks because if you do you will end up getting into trouble with them.
So I have designed this offer specifically for you because I do not want you to get into trouble, I have contacts everywhere in the USA whom I am supposed to send these counterfeit checks to but because I'm here in the U.K and unable to send them directly to these contacts so I need someone who lives in the USA who will help receive my checks in Bulk and then forward them in single shipments to my contacts.
You will not face any harm whatsoever as you will not cash any check, only receive and forward so as to cut down my expense of sending directly from here. This Offer will be of no monetary expense to you as I will pay for all shipping costs as well as put you on a very good weekly wage that we will agree on.
Once you have agreed to work with me, I will forward you a list of all the contacts as well as my FedEx account information which you will need to ship the checks without spending any money.
If you are interested reply me, thanks and hope to hear from you shortly.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #31
yachtsmanbill

Finally bit the bullet and decided to go out to the shop and get something done. The wife came back from Texa last week for some back work and finally got her resting peacefully. I snuck out for a few hours... man are my feetuses out of practice!
As most of you know, Ive been converting the blaster to a 12 volt system. Originally with a six volt system, the hot wire came off the foot switch to the terminal block then one wire up to the ammeter and distributed from there. This system is using a voltmeter and the terminal ended up with 5 wires on the hot post. That was crowding things a bit, so I install another block with 8 terminals, which eased the overcrowding a bit.
Theres now a voltmeter with an on/off switch and a place to tie the new 12 volt alternator into the battery system. Thats tomorrow. So far so good; all connections are good and not even a little arc at the battery post in the dark! (in other words, no grounds!) ws

FWIW... that was a new battery last April, with an original charge on it. Ran all summer (on mag) with a shitload of starts, and its sat since October and STILL has about 10 jolts left in it. Thats still plenty of 12 volt starter cranking! She spun right over with 10w40.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:28 PM   #32
yachtsmanbill

So the proof of the pudding is in the eating...

Got these guys fired up today. Nothing like 10 volts running 12 volt lights that are brighterthanheck. ws
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #33
yachtsmanbill

Now that most of the electric is done its time to commence working on the windshield. This is gonna be an early open car top half with a stationary cowl part of wood. The WS will stan up and back at 20 degrees or lay forward flat and parallel to the hood.
I always recycle old stuff if I can. The material for this came out of a door left over from my 65 foot Hatteras project. The stuff is 5/4 teak from door stiles. Doweled and glued with Gorilla Glue... Hellascious stuff and as strong as epoxy! Dont get it on your hands! It takes a week to wear off!
So the stuff is glued and doweled and clamped overnight. Today the clamps came off and the whole part got belt sanded flat. Its just like a piece of furniture only different... ws

Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #34
yachtsmanbill

Pretty reasonable fit-up considering I dont have a joiner. The glue is jointed at 100% with a bunch squeezed out. This morning afetr the unclamping, I take a sharp wood chisel and scrape the excess off before the belt sanding.
I mustve ate a pound of dust and snorted a quart! The ol' snotbox is stuffed solid with dust! After the sanding it got a rubdown with mineral spirits for effect. 20 coats of varnish is gonna look SUHWEET! ws

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #35
yachtsmanbill

Lots of measurements, layout work, then ruff in a template with cardboard. This part is gonna have many multiple compound curves and Im not sure if Ill try for a perfect fit, use some 1/4" fender welting for a seal or leave a 1/4" "reveal" gap between the wood and the cowl. JUDGES??? Gimme some input woodja?? ws

Old 01-14-2013, 09:46 PM   #36
Jack Innes

How about leaving a gap as you suggest but rout a T slot across the bottom near the front & back to accept open car windshield weatherstrip fed in from the end? The rubber can lay out on the cowl to seal the gap & look
like an opening windshield. This would allow everything to move around a bit without stress.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 PM   #37
yachtsmanbill

Stress with vibration and body twisting is a concern for sure... I dont know if the T slot is feasable tho... thats why I was thinking along the lines of some larger fender welting stapled to the bottom of the frame; maybe front and back. Hmm... ws

Then theres the issue of the glass to wood gap. Same deal, but I can tack a strip or deflector in place once I figger out the geometry of the opening (actually laying down) of the glass to the wood. Wind isnt really too much of an issue but rain water blowin' up under my hood, I knew that was doin' my motor good... slite drift pal; Im shot!!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #38
dumb person

Fender welting. And the glass to wood gap can be the rubber stuff if you want to i guess.

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
yachtsmanbill

So this fender welting runs a 1/4" bead. Id really like someting about 3/8" and a flat bottom profile. I used to have a ton of specialty shops for this stuff but a few years ago the bozoputer crashed and they all went away
Any leads are appreciated. Came down with the friggin' flue this morning so dont get too close to the screen... LOL ws

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230774053804...804%26_rdc%3D1

Also in need of some weatherstripping for the glass edge. I may slice some 1/2" black fuel line but if I could see some profiles that would be cool. Then theres a pair of these guys front and rear... Im an old school greaser... what can I say??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330857851500...500%26_rdc%3D1
Old 01-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #40
Jack Innes

Bill,

This goes between the upper & lower w/s panels on an open T. It has the lip that could hang down to form the seal at the bottom of your glass. I have used it like that on a boat windshield - 1936 Seabird.

I restored an MG TD a few years back & found they use fender welt with a 1/2" bead. It also comes in colors. I am sure there are MG suppliers still out there. (The Prince of Darkness was a deciding factor in selling all of my British cars! - Even though my mother's maiden name was Lucas.)

Last edited by Jack Innes; 01-15-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #41
yachtsmanbill

Ive got a T pal here thats into Jags and TRs. Im gonna see what he can come up with. Just remember... you can pick yer nose but ya cant pick yer family LOL...Got the flue last nite... first time in 4 years. Its a killer! ws
Old 01-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #42
dumb person

Upholstery shop scrap bin, black vinyl cut into strips and you glue a strip of string down the middle and fold the vinyl over and glue it making it whatever size you want i guess. Only because i thought it would look tidier and not rub the paint off as much (unless i totally misunderstand the purpose of the wood)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Old 01-16-2013, 07:03 AM   #43
yachtsmanbill

Toyed with that idea too. Actually, you do this and sew the welting together. Ive got a really nice Pfaff 1 hp industrial sewing macine, but alas; no welting foot for it. Might still give it a try tho... ws

ebay guy sent me this yesterday... kind pricey

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350553573056...056%26_rdc%3D1
Old 01-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #44
Jack Innes

Here is another option & easily available;

http://www.spaenaur.com/pdf/sectionK/K11.pdf
Old 01-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #45
yachtsmanbill

Now yer cookin'! Ill be heading over to Retards tomorrow to have a look-see. Theres also a door place in town ; a tad more high end. Is that stuff usually a foam kinda gasket or an extruded PVC?

You know, I get a lotta help here from all the guys and I really appreciate that. I go across the hall and its Dry Ball Alley. Theres a guy that lurks here who built an engine stand. Ok Ok I build a lot of my own stuff too.... its all part of it. So the side plate sold by vendors that mounts on the water inlet is non adjustable and decidedly forward of center when the trans and pan is on. I made a comment about the factory using ice tongs between cylinders 3 # 4 for balance.
Next thing you know, the guy makes a two position bracket to overcome this obstacle and moves on to how he takes pictures of himself working. Ya gotta understand, the DBC (Dry Ball Club) never heard of a timer on a camera. Christ, most of the DBCs cant even spell! So now the guy changes the bracket like I said and I send over a pic of a heavy duty unit with a worm drive to rotate the whole motor, and keep it from getting away past center. Try and roll a 3000 lb Detroit by hand and see where it gets you. The DBCs would rather use 2x4s and screw jacks and maybe a block and tackle instead of something simple and effective. Theyd rather Rube Goldberg it! I never ever get any credit or thanks whatsoever from over there. DBCs would rather debate water pumps and oil weights. GEEZUZ. A little credit where credit is due goes a loooong way. Rant OVER ws

Dont take offence TMM its the pics above yours that got to me!

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-16-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:02 PM   #46
Jack Innes

Bill, I think you will find the door gasket either rubber or some type of plastic. Maybe foam but in the cold north it would tend to freeze to the floor with nasty results.

Are those titanium 5/16" bolts in the water inlet holes on the mounted engine?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:17 PM   #47
yachtsmanbill

I sure hope not LOL! Theyd pull right out of those 7/16 threads!

Didnt have a chance to look around here today... the hospital in Green Bay called at 1300hrs to get Pat admitted. I had to drop her off at the door since Ive got the flu (FLUE haha) I didnt want to spread it inside the place or pick anything up since my resistance is so low. By 1600hrs she was getting prepped for an MRI.
My pal from Chicago called while I was driving to say he was at my house. He took one look at me and turned around and drove home! 200 miles!! ws
Old 01-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #48
dumb person

(slightly joking post that does not contribute all that much to the current discussion)
If you thought the guys across the hall were sometimes a bit odd (some are clever) check out some areas of fordbarn where they actually believe NewOldStock parts still exist, showing of their timelord skills are they? Life is a real a drag when you are stuck in the present.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #49
yachtsmanbill

THOSE THAT ARENT CLEVER ARE SLICK !

Theres a few sacks of dried goods reading this right now as well. Thred drift? It aint gonna happen on my threds cuz I speak my piece and so should you. Out of courtesy for the sites host, I do watch my language and politcal POVs. Thats where I draw the line. I can play the game well; ya see, I own a boat owners forum thats' by-laws expound being NON CENSORED. If it gets really gnarly, the thred gets moved to a "members only" section. We started that one since the boat forum we were on was owned and sponsored by a boat mfg corp and they were affraid of offending their sponsors. The 3 moderators there would delete posts of mine ad bono.
Soooo, with that being said, I had words across the hall over my comments to a snot nosed kid that came on, monopolized every thred and threatened to infect everyones computer with trojan viruses that would visit there. One day I had my share and told the little weenis off and all the phony reverends and preachers over there cast my soul into the pit of eternal damnation.
Wellll now... pretty cool so far eh? So heres the old guy living on a pension... stay with me here... I put an ad up for 2- 1935 wire wheels. for 20 freaking dollars. A guy PMs me and says he wants them. After I get the tires demounted for $5 each he says he still wants them. I ship them for like $30. He gets them and says "them holes is all wallered out". I tell him ship them back (at his cost) and Ill refund his lousy $20. His reply to that was "would I expect to pay for a box of dogshit if someone shipped it to me?" I replied with a picture of a tube of KY jelly and said dont forget to use this on the next victim. Ol' peckerwood was probably tryin' ta hit the juice bottle from downwind and got somma that thar kodiak jiuce in his eyes.
Next thing the moderator here beats me up for sending off color comments to fellow members blah blah blah. Like my world came crashing to an end... OH THE HUMANITY... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAT9xvTVKI

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-17-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #50
dumb person

Real people
"It's worn/broken"
"Then mend it, (really helpful tip you would not find in most books)"

Really old fuddy duddies
"It's worn/broken"
"Then go find a new old stock one"

"Oh look that car has the wrong knurling on the steering box cover and a phillips head screw showing it's not even good for parts throw it away how dare they sell that on ebay".

Old 01-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #51
yachtsmanbill

THAT right there is where they and I part ways! Ive been T ing for better than 50 years and the goal where I came from was to keep them running. Put a couple of starters together to make a good one, make yer own gaskets; no wait! Place a $2000 order of chinese garbage and make it fit. Thats OK but dont you dare take a file to a warped cylinder head because its leaking! ws
Old 01-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #52
yachtsmanbill

WOW... what a day. Pat called at 0700 and said shes ready to come home so I peeled out at 0900 to pick her up. We had about an inch of snow but the hawk was a howling and produced black ice on 43 into Green bay. No problems going up but coming home doing 55 in a 65 zone I got slicked out twice on the black ice. Going straight, no curves, no funny business, just all of a sudden spinning 90 degrees to port AND starboard. One second each time and it was over. Scared the crap out of both of us !! Got the gal-pal home and bedded her down for a few weeks of R&R before I put her back to work. Ultimately, they opened her up and found a detached piece of disc wedged into the nerve bundle at L5 and S1. A few more days and it couldve been irreversable damage. Then Id have to do all the snow shoveling and garden turning not to mention the regular stuff like shopping, cooking and laundry etc...She does really appreciate the way I look after her! A little gratitude goes a long way dont it??
A few more days and I can get back into the shop, then itll be spring and I can start on the darned ol' boat! ws
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 PM   #53
yachtsmanbill

Finally falling back into the "normal" category and will attempt some shop time tomorrow. All I can say is the flu kicked booty this time and its been 4 years since I had it. Still having a hard time reading of all things; like I am cross eyed or something. If you guys get it, dont fight it. Just give in and deal with it. Seven days so far as of tomorrow.
Pats doing much better and is walking to stay limber, but still kinda worn out. Its hell getting old aint it? That old shop floor is gonna be a cold'un tomorrow. May hafta wear the snow boots out there! ws
Old 01-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #54
dumb person

To be fair, what i do understand of your posts is often quite disturbing so i can only imagine how competent people who know what you speak of see them.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:35 AM   #55
yachtsmanbill

Ya know Mike, in 3rd grade my teacher used to extole my use of descriptive adjectives and a "most colorful" interpretation of an otherwise difficult situation to picture or percieve mentally. How cool is that?
I dont get what part you find disturbing though... and as for competencies, they come in coffee sized cans ranging from "grasping at the bottom rung of the ladder of evolution" all the way to "brain surgery" all tempered with left handed humor and a bit of artistic sarcasm. They all have peel away tops so no can opener is needed.

"Fear not thy brother for he is the keeper of the Masters' house..." ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsswIRkAjfU

Blimey! A bunch of swagmen with no billybag??? Probably wishing for a coolibah t' wait by for the sun to pass...

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-21-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #56
jackdaron

I think a good worm shot would help...
jackdaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #57
yachtsmanbill

A shot for the radiator, DP in the SP, or the aborigines on the road side? Better yet for me??

I love the taste of Mezcal in the morning; it tastes like... victory. ws
Old 01-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #58
Jack Innes

Does the fellow smashing the battery not look like a very tanned RED GREEN?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #59
yachtsmanbill

I didnt pay that close attention... I was amazed at the foundry technique and what they used for flux. Even filling with lead the stuff still needs to be cleaned no? Maybe the phosphate residue on the plates was used in place of a phosphate flux. ws
Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #60
yachtsmanbill

It keeps getting better! Thanks to SP-DP!! ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESwGyrCMKmg
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #61
dumb person

So this starts off as a thread on 12 volt systems & ends up on worms? Maybe the guys from that video got worms in the episode where they cooked some roadkill and left it on the parcel shelf in the hot sun all day before eating it.

Old 01-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
yachtsmanbill

So, is DP Randall? I think you starred in those flicks; the links are in your signature afterall! Ever try reseating a tire bead and filling the tire with hair spray? Thats a good'n too I also like the "changing the fanbelt with the engine running" one too! ws

One of the guys here asked me to start a new thred ... he's on dial up and had to ring 2 long and 3 short for the connection. Usually after my threds show 50,000 views, Ill start a new one... tomorrow its gonna be "wood you wood or wood you rather not"... draw yer own conclusions
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #63
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Keep away from Flu shots .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Finally falling back into the "normal" category and will attempt some shop time tomorrow. All I can say is the flu kicked booty this time and its been 4 years since I had it. Still having a hard time reading of all things; like I am cross eyed or something. If you guys get it, dont fight it. Just give in and deal with it. Seven days so far as of tomorrow.
Pats doing much better and is walking to stay limber, but still kinda worn out. Its hell getting old aint it? That old shop floor is gonna be a cold'un tomorrow. May hafta wear the snow boots out there! ws

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #64
yachtsmanbill

I NEVER get the shot but Pat has to.... shes a breast cancer survivor with COPD and emphysema to name a few. Kinda frail on the health side... ws
Old 01-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #65
fordman67

My dang wife made me...NOT happy..BUT with a 3 month old I had to get the purtusses(sp?) so I gave in..first ever.I have been sicker than ever,since.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #66
fordman67

Quote:
Ya know Mike, in 3rd grade my teacher used to extole my use of descriptive adjectives and a "most colorful" interpretation of an otherwise difficult situation to picture or percieve mentally. How cool is that?
I dont get what part you find disturbing though... and as for competencies, they come in coffee sized cans ranging from "grasping at the bottom rung of the ladder of evolution" all the way to "brain surgery" all tempered with left handed humor and a bit of artistic sarcasm. They all have peel away tops so no can opener is needed.

"Fear not thy brother for he is the keeper of the Masters' house..." ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsswIRkAjfU

Blimey! A bunch of swagmen with no billybag??? Probably wishing for a coolibah t' wait by for the sun to pass...
What the heck?really? a battery just out in the weeds? and the water tank is a magic spring...first its half empty,then the rad is full,and the tank is 2/3 full again...SSUURREE!

Bill,just keep up the good work letting them ol dry ballers (or what ever) at bay...
Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #67
yachtsmanbill

So I was gonna start a new one today; BORED or BOARD. Didnt wanna confuse the SOE guys (South of the Equator), so we're gonna run with the 12 volt thred.

At about 0600 today it was minus 10 F, then the sun shone upon the thermometer and things warmed up. Clouds happened and the temp retarded back to zero and stayed there all day.
Ran the heat outside balls out for 2 hours before I even went out; it made about 55F by the time I was ready. Thermal longhandles were the uniform of the day and after another hour it was confy out there.
Did some final trimming on my cardboard template for a pretty fair fit. Traced it out onto the wood and cut it out. After looking at it for an hour I just grabbed the saw and went at it. On a scale of 1-10, the fit is ruffed in at a good 7. A little finesse work with a rasp and some 1/2" rubber fender welt (just ordered that) and itll fit like a million.
Even tho it was cracked into two pieces, the original glass is gonna go back in the frame for a final fit up, then use that piece(s) as a template. The bare ends of the wood are gonna get capped with a steel box with a piece of pipe welded on for the lower hinge mount, plus that will keep torsional strains to a minimum. I thinks its gonna turn out swell... ws

Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #68
dumb person

Is it the camera angle or did you make the windshield bias toward the drivers side?

Also thought you might appreciate this reading material http://jalopnik.com/5843759/the-ten-...ums/gallery/11 if that is allowed

Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #69
yachtsmanbill

Youve got a sharp eye mate! The vertical end on the pass side is close (within 1/4") and the drivers' side is proud about 3". I left it long on purpose so that once the recievers are fabbed up I can trim that side for an accurate fit on the hinges/frame. Originally I was gonna section the glass frame for a narrower look, but then thought about having the extra area coverage, also giving it the appearance of being larger. Its all smake and mirrors... ws
Old 01-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #70
yachtsmanbill

I cant believe how much reverse engineering goes into this stuff! Putting material together for the boxed corners on the wood, I needed to start with a slit pc. of 1/2" pipe. That needs to be pretty accurate, and several sawing attempts netted poor results. Finally laid it out and sliced it with a cutoff grinder. What a mess!
That little job took three hours before it was right! Then its more reverse engineering to get the lengths and angles right... more tomorrow! ws

Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #71
yachtsmanbill

Looks like the stegasaurus slipped off the treadmill across the hall.... AGAIN! Now its a big topic of WOE on the Int'l forum... Poor kids... ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eacV6QyKDvs
Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #72
jackdaron

Off your meds again?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #73
yachtsmanbill

Yeah... the label says 1 pill every 6 hours, or is that 6 pills every hour(?) Sometimes dyslexia is fun, and sometimes it can be corrected pharmaceutically. I like my doctors comment "Yer a man; you know what you need..." ws
Old 01-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #74
jackdaron

We all have to take them,but we don't have to like it. Hang tough.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:58 PM   #75
yachtsmanbill

I dunno about that'n.... I used to visit my older sister in Haight-Ashbury in the 60's... she left for Woodstock in her '47 Jeepster and I left for military school. I was normal before that! LOL ws
Old 01-26-2013, 10:29 PM   #76
yachtsmanbill

So I just watched Spencer Tracy in Captains Courageous and found it interesting that he played a Hurdy Gurdy. Youll need to look it up and meanwhile while I was researching this, I came across another Model T youtube from a Limey collector. Some rather interesting stuff in there to behold. Check it out! ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKNBY...endscreen&NR=1
Old 01-27-2013, 12:21 AM   #77
dwollam

Bill, your pictures made me laugh. I had a friend that used to say "That makes as much sense as a wooden windshield!" and I thought of him when I saw the above pic of just the wood on the cowl! Then to my relief I saw the next pics with the windshield frame. Whew! Thought for a minute he was back! I am enjoying your threads.
Dave
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #78
yachtsmanbill

"People who live in wood houses shouldnt grow termites..." (?)

Thanks Dave! Having built the Pollinator from the ground up there was virtually no way to buy/retrofit any OEM parts that would do what I needed them to do. Watching the movie "The Great Race" and checking out the Leslie Special it dawned on me how to get the right results. I wanted a lay down windshield with a back slant as well, which is where the wood base idea came from. That way I could use a stock upper WS frame from a Ford and have it function the way I wanted it to.
We'll see how it plays out... ws

Old 01-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #79
yachtsmanbill

Just plugging along on the corner boxes with the lower hinge mount. This stuff is all hand cut out of about 18 gage steel shelving that was left over from an ACE hardware store. I layed the stuff out on flat pcs. then cut it with the portaband saw in the vise. A little finesse grinding and tack it up before the welding. This is all done with the MIG... just sold my Lincoln 250 TIG unit but the hand/eye coordination aint what it used to be.
This stuff is at the 50-75% ground stage for an initial fit up. Itll look good when done but thats seeing it with some artistic license for now! The big trick is gonna be to get the hole assembly fitted so that the glass lays horizontal when in the down position. When its up the angle is not nearly as important. Gonna make some nice manly sized stainless wing nuts to snug it into the desired position.
Tomorrow Ive got to get the broken glass back into the frame for an accurate width before I cut the wood width... ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 01-27-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #80
yachtsmanbill

Got my 1/2" OD rubber fender welting. Thats gonna give it a nice finished edge when done. An ebay guy cut off a 10 foot piece for me and saved the day. Its gonna go on the inside and the outside and probably get glued and stapled to the wood bottom edge. The stuff is nice live rubber and really supple.
After all the dry runs, Ill do a quick stain with 10 coats of varnish on the teak frame and it should look outstanding. I am considering yellow OR black on the WS frame and hinges... IDEAS? COMMENTS??? ws

Old 01-29-2013, 12:25 PM   #81
dwollam

Black. I think the yellow might be distracting to look past while driving. Black will "disappear".
dwollam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:02 PM   #82
yachtsmanbill

See post #37 here...

Thats what I was thinking too, but didnt wanta have it be too "busy". ws
Old 01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #83
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwollam View Post
Black. I think the yellow might be distracting to look past while driving. Black will "disappear".
Bill,
I would agree with this thinking & the black would balance out the black on the column, pedals, etc.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #84
yachtsmanbill

Saw this acrosss the hall and found it pretty interesting. Good for figgerin' stuff out sometimes! ws

http://hccaont.blogspot.com/

Are you involved here Jack???
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #85
Jack Innes

Quote:
Saw this acrosss the hall and found it pretty interesting. Good for figgerin' stuff out sometimes! ws

http://hccaont.blogspot.com/

Are you involved here Jack???
Yes indeed! They are a good bunch of people for sure. There are many great Ts in the group.

Below is part of a tour that partially was on the track at Mosport International Speedway about 30 miles from here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11 Buick - Mosport 2011.jpg (93.2 KB, 7 views)
Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #86
yachtsmanbill

So now I need a little input from the REAL exspurts here...

While trying to size up my windshield frame for dimensions on the cowling base, I tried to re-insert the plate glass temporarily into the brass channel so that I can be sure of the exact width etc before I cut the wood for the hinge mounts.
The original glass is cracked and in two pieces so thats not too big of a deal. The new piece is gonna be 1/4 Solex saftey glass. Sooo... the brass channel has numerous cracks and fold overs rendering it almost useless. This is a 22-23ish upper frame. I pulled the brass out and cleaned the channel. It measured 3/8" in width. I want to install the glass in a bitumastic gasket like the 26-27 models were done. A new brass channel is $299.00! Aint no way in hell Im gonna fork over that kinda dough for a piece of trim.
Anyone see any problems using the rubber style mount? The OEM glass is gonna be used for a template and the frame has been painted so its handleable by Monday for the glass guys. Input appreciated! Also, anyone know the thread size for the chrome 26-27 style WS wingnuts? I dont wanna use castle nuts and the OEM size is 3/8 sae. ws

This aint mine but is the same and kinda shows the glass channel in brass

This is the barn find with the glass as found

Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #87
yachtsmanbill

Inching ever closer... Spoke with a glass shop yesterday and the guy quoted me $200 for the glass plus the install and thats 50 miles away! The next guy is in town here and does all the glass for Manitowoc cranes... $10/sq foot plus any radiusing etc. Should end up being $50-$60 Im guessing. meanwhile its all painted and drying as we speak so itll be ready Monday or Tuesday for the glass guys. ws

Old 02-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #88
yachtsmanbill

What a pain to cold call on stuff where yer the new kid in town...HOWEVER;

I go to this glass shop in town and the guy (about 65 ish) knew exactly what I was walking in with. He said he hadnt done one of these in 25 years. Actually he didnt have the right mounting rubber altho he had special "glass jacks" for actually jacking the glass vertically down the sides and into the cross bar. Said they were priceless! So the guy refers me to another guy out in the country that specializes in classic glass.
This guy is about 40 ish and a wealth of info! He has a nice collection from a '55 Bel Air ragtop to a '22 T doctors coupe with suicide doors, a 34 Auburn roadster and a '35 Packard cabriolet, and among other things , a 1908 H-D that was ridden to the 100th anniv. party (200 miles each way!), a '37 Brough-Superior 650 and a myriad of many all restored beauties !!
The guy calls me back 20 hours later to say the WS is done ... it ran me $120 and looks like a piece of jewelry! This is a 22 frame with the brass channel that was damaged, so the new SOLEX glass was mounted in cork with a smidge of black uerathane... I really hope that SOLEX glass gives the judges the runs LOLOL !! ws

Old 02-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #89
yachtsmanbill

FWIW.... swap meet for A's from the MAFCA in West Bend Wi. on 2-24 at Washington County fair grounds.... ws
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #90
yachtsmanbill

Working in a 75F shop in a T shirt as the snow falls is pretty therapuetic. A few hours out there, then come in for coffee, then back out for a few hours... wish I could find a job like that!
Painted the stuff about 3-4 days ago and got it assembled to the point that I could get some measurements and make my length cut on the wood. Tongue in cheek; it appears to be coming together even tho its a total reverse engineering job. Next step is to get the harware fitted to the wood, then painted. After thats all done and fitted 100% Ill get onto staining and varnishing the wood frame. Thatll hafta sit for few days before handling it for a final assembly... ws

Pass the KAOPECTATE!!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #91
yachtsmanbill

Look out judges! Willy just left the show pen for a hot dog... he'll be back in a while!

Got the assembly rudimentarily (?) mounted today and it looked pretty good. Originally, I was gonna have all the holes pilot drilled from inside the cowl, then take it back off for staining and varnishing. I was also gonna bed it in place as a final with some construction adhesive. As it turns out, the whole unit is in place and secured with just 12 long screws. A 300 lb quarterback doesnt belong under the dash of a speedster! So now its gonna get sanded and finished in place. This phase is coming to an end. Ill get some more pics tomorrow... right now its time to hit the shower and the VIKEs LOL
BBQ ribs for dinner tonight! ws

Old 02-17-2013, 05:35 PM   #92
yachtsmanbill

The pics above arethe rough assembly so today I varnished and painted. The shop was warm and mustve neen pretty low on the humidity since I managed to get three coats on and dry to the touch in a few hours.
Got everything DUNN! The wood took a slight bow to the cowl and the glass now touches by1/8-1/4" in the center. My little Stanley #6 block plane will make short work outa that too! Other than that its a done deal. Only thing left is to trim the studs at the hinge for the new chrome wing nuts I got from Langs for $2.50 ea. So there!! ws

Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #93
dumb person

Not bad, so how does it look from 6-8 feet away?

Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #94
yachtsmanbill

smaller ws
Old 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #95
yachtsmanbill

Too cool not to share! This came from across the hall. ANYTHING is possible eh??? ws

http://www.varietyvideosllc.com/about2.html
Old 02-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #96
yachtsmanbill

We went to the West Bend Wi. swap meet last sunday and actually sold most of my "extras" as we were unloading the truck. The pics here were at 0600 and the big service door was a walloping 10 feet from our space. Really a nice venue. Theres actually 2 buildings with the second one a bit larger than this, but it got packed with about 2000 people. Several Dairyland Tin Lizzy guys stopped by for a respite on the 5 gallon buckets we brought!

Couldnt sell the 26-7 parts rear end for even $10 tho... hauled it home for the scrap pile... ws

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 02-26-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #97
yachtsmanbill

Last week I had ordered 2 of these decals for the Pollinator. The 10" round gas tank ends needed something so this almost looks period correct. Post WW I anyway!
Lots of Germanics up here, but still didnt want to offend any non aryans with a twisted cross LOL. The Iron Cross is just 7" in diameter and is gonna look crisp against the yellow tank. Still kinda like that "rat fink" era.
Also ordered the windshield wiper and mirror from langs today. They are both the clamp on type so I dont hafta drill holes through the frame. The mirror frame is bare (to be black painted) with a beveled mirror and the wiper is a chrome job to ad a touch of bling to the chopper... ws

The babes at the swap meet were outstanding too!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #98
dumb person

Quote:
Couldnt sell the 26-7 parts rear end for even $10 tho...
i would buy them but the shipping would be a killer.

i did have an angry bee sticker i thought would be good on your car but seeing i live among those people you did not want to offend someone stole it, have not seen it on their stuff, i think they used it as a bandaid, i honestly do.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #99
yachtsmanbill

Too bad Barbie's not on the barby mate! She does like to get tanked up tho... Shes from Walkabout Creek LOL... She sends her regards!

The tank decals were a little tuff to put on, but the second one was way easier. I think the Knights Cross is pretty cool without offending any of the PC Politiburos' here. I wish I could line 'em all up downwind after chugging a quart of beer. So what if my grandad was awarded the cross in 1916. Ta' heck withem!

Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #100
yachtsmanbill

Spent the rest of the shift wiring up the 12V alternator with an inline 40A fuse. Nothing flashed LOL! Voltmeter works and its all good!

Got my wiper and mirror from Langs today. These are clamp on models so no drilling required. I was a little disappointed to see Hech en China on the chrome wiper but the rest of the order was USA. Needless to say, the wiper needed heating and bending but turned out good. ws

The other Slick Willy incognito...

Old 03-08-2013, 04:03 PM   #101
yachtsmanbill

Nyuk nyuk Nyuk... the boat doesnt dock too far from the car does it?? A little nautical flair to go with the 3 blade spinners on the wire wheels. Turns nice too! Hope it spins at 30 MPH!

Also did a little finesse filing on the cowl edge and fitted a strip of chrome door edge guard. Looks pretty sharp. Gonna do the hood edges between the hinges too. Model T Bling???

Also started on sizing up a frame for my trunk. Gonna use 3/4 square tubing and tie it in with the spare tire carrier. Those dual tires have a tendency to really shake the car with the weight being so cantilevered and Id really be embarrassed if the carrier cracked at the spring mount and fell off! ws

Trunk will get the yellow treatment with a 1/8" piece of diamond plate on top. Finally somewhere to stash my jacket! Now all I need is a bowler!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #102
yachtsmanbill

"Blaires' been busy down here..."

HOORAY! Finished up on the trunk mounting frame, sanded and painted the trunk, and took iy out for a trial run.
Tomorrow itll get mounted, and make a brake lite switch linkage, then, start cleaning the shop so I can get started painting the boat. Already ordered the paint(s) for that one. No rest for the weary, eh? ws

Barbies the best shop helper... couldnt resist. Now Ill know if anyone really reads this stuff!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #103
yachtsmanbill

WHEW! Just about done for the "off" season... Finally rigged the stop lite switch linkage, got the trunk bolted down with the diamond plate on the top and about 20 other odds and ends done...including rounding off the door corners. I still need to mount and pipe the wolf whistle.
Maybe this weekend Ill fill the radiator and toss a pair of fresh eggs in it, and maybe an oil change. Im so ready for a spin! ws

Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #104
fordman67

Well,that thing is taking shape. I am paying attention...you aint right.Keep up the good work. Prepare for my return very soon.(I hope anway)
Old 04-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #105
yachtsmanbill

I may not be right, but does that really make me wrong?? Imagine retiring and then becoming overwhelmed because theres not enough time in a day to begin getting stuff done. I am so far behind that I need to jump UP to touch BOTTOM!
We adopted a baby boy today! His name is BONER. YIKES!! ws

Also went and picked up 30 barrels for a new floating dock for the Roamer

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 04-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #106
yachtsmanbill

Im looking at some vintage Wisconsin tags, and not being a cheesehead originally, I am a tad confused about plates... Theres several available and some are ##### A #####B #####C and one set thats just a number. In Illinois, the suffix letter would be a truck classification. Same hold true here?
I run a legal plate, and would like to have a vintage as well. Ideas? Input?? ws

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281082006091...1#ht_337wt_932

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271176483192...1#ht_337wt_932

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281082006090...1#ht_337wt_932
Old 04-26-2013, 06:28 AM   #107
yachtsmanbill

So just to take a break from the arduous task of playing with a Model T, my SIL Scott and I finished up the three 12 X6 foot dock sections, launched them, then bolted them together and transported them up river and attached them to the main pier. So far into that was about 7 man/day at 6-8 hours per/day.
A few days ago, like 3 or 4, we started doing the body work on the boat. The 28 year old paint job was looking pretty brutal, as in paint failure. I thought some light repairs and a good sanding would have it ready for paint... WRONGO ! ... Its a 50 year old aluminum Roamer that Ive had for 40 years this year. Thres a brazillion little spots of corrosion that all needed to be ground out, with the whole job needing sanding, special marine fairing compounds to repair the spots and on and on. After the last 3 days, we are at about the 75% "prepping" stage for the bondo job, Thats gonna need finishing, then a white paint job, followed by a metallic burgandy stripe and that means about 10-15 rolls of masking tape.
I get a kick outa the the girls that Cant Understand Normal Thinking across the hall that have no conception about this stuff and argue about "rattle cans" for painting a spring shackle etc. Ever had your fingernails bleed from being worn down so far? Hopefully another 5 days she'll be ready for the water... more like 10... ws

Keeping it in perspective, Scotts 6'3" and standing (kneeling on this pic) on a 3 foot scaffold riser. This is the short end of the job with the bow rising an additional foot. Glad the guys a foot taller than me and 35 years younger!
BTW...30 year old catylized paint is hard as glass. Just getting the glaze broken was the chore. Afterthat the finish sanding goes easy. Started the glaze breaking with 80, followed by 150, and finish up with 220. Stay tuned for more progress as we move along!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #108
yachtsmanbill

Boat is finished and ready for launch tomorrow. Took the day off for a model T ride; had to have two poached eggs for breakfast! ws

Old 05-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #109
yachtsmanbill

Got her done and alls well that ends well... ws

Old 06-05-2013, 10:13 AM   #110
yachtsmanbill

CAR SHOW AND PARADE IN TWO RIVERS, WI. IN THREE WEEKS! Usually about 200 - 300 cars to see! ws

Old 06-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #111
jkelsh

Can't say I've ever noticed the beautiful wood dash you have in the speedster before- guess I haven't been paying close enough attention- looks fantastic anyway!
jkelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 PM   #112
yachtsmanbill

Thanks man... where ya been??? That dash was an old solid 1" thick maple table that I pulled outa the trash on garbage night a while back. Its laminated with 1 layer of 3/4" plywood and a 2 X 2 frame so the whole shebang is actually 3-3/4" thick ... stronger than heck! ws

Old 06-06-2013, 06:53 PM   #113
jkelsh

It's amazing how something beautiful can be made from what someone else considers garbage. Henry Ford himself would've been proud of such a great example of recycling. I haven't had much time to be on the ole computer- been awfully busy between school and 2 part time jobs. Now that school is out for the summer I'll have more time for fordbarn and old cars hopefully
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #114
yachtsmanbill

Stick with it pal... I know yer a bit younger than most of the guys around here, but you should see the cloisterfork going on at theMTFCI forum. They changed from a dinosaur on a tredmill to V bulletin and most of those knuckleheads cant figure out how to make a post much less post pics. Its pretty hilarious, yet for some reason I keep posting directions and get ignored... like thats' supposed to hurt my feelings LOL.
"You cant insult my integrity; I dont have any..."

Sooo... I hope you get to enjoy your' summer with all the local cruise nights and car shows etc... ws

First time out this year with a FRESH paint job on my boat too. Time to take a break. Hmmm
Old 06-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #115
jkelsh

Glad to hear about the switch. Can't say I was a big fan of the old forum. I imagine it will be awhile before they get the hang of things although if they listened to you the process would be sped up. Both the car and the boat look great. I was going to look up that boat forum of yours. Had a few questions after seeing some slick 20s era boats on hbo's boardwalk empire. Now that I've got some real capital on my hands I've got a hankering for either a T speedster or sedan. There's a pretty decent chassis in the classifieds I might get. Gonna take a look at it for sure
Justin
Old 06-08-2013, 07:43 PM   #116
yachtsmanbill

Its really a shame that all the know it alls' didn't know all of it. The new forum OS across the hall reminds me of the 90 year old lady that stepped on the gas instead of the brakes and ran over 20 people at the airport. Maybe if that was a model T and she stepped on the reverse instead of the low pedal things would've turned out differently... SHEEEEESH! ws

Old 06-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #117
yachtsmanbill

Just three weeks to go... PLAN AHEAD... usually a 500+ car turn out! ws

Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 PM   #118
yachtsmanbill

Well, it was bound to happen... finally got "judged" and won a trophy! "Oldest pieced together basket case piece of junk class" but man did we have a blast. 500 cars and they called me first for the award!
We also did the parade the night before and they put me and Jeff as #11 and #12. There is a long (7 minute) video but we show up at the beginning! ws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hGPX...m-upload_owner
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #119
yachtsmanbill

You know me... ol' off thred Willy... We went to a tractor show in Newton Wi. today. They call it the two banger Newton tractor club. Its at the city park and organized by the NVFD who did a bang up job organizing parking, beverages etc etc...
There was a few neat old tractors and I followed a guy down the road in his 22 touring car at a blistering 31 mph. Besides the tractors there was a decent hand tool exhibit, a blacksmith and tons of "farmabilia" from the turn of the last century.
I shot this one for Farmall Cub... HEY ANDY! Nicely detailed flathead V8 for power.. No limit to some folks imagination! ws

Even had a hit-n-miss lawn mower with turf saver tires!

Old 06-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #120
yachtsmanbill

Just a few more shots... on the way there I stopped at a garage sale and found a NOS Anderson timer for a buck... the sale of the day, plus a running board luggage rack for Jeff for $2.00. That ol timer was stamped $1.oo. Guess the economy was pretty stable back then ehh?? ws

Price stamped on the case... $1.00

Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #121
yachtsmanbill

Well, its time to resurrect this old thred. Just got back from a 1000 mile boat trip around Lake Michigan... burned about 1400 gallons of gas at $5.00/gal, so don't ever rag about gas prices. Needs a double 454 oil change along with the generator. Think we'll take the T for a spin today... its a stifling 72F out here!
While I was gone, a pal sent me this and I thought it was interesting. Our government does work in mysterious ways ya know??? ws

CAR TRIVIA

Hours after
Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, the Secret Service found themselves in a
bind. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was to give his Day of Infamy speech to Congress on Tuesday, and although the trip from the
White House to Capitol Hill was short, agents werent sure how to transport him
safely. At the time, Federal Law prohibited buying any cars that cost more than $750, so they would have to get clearance from Congress to do that, and nobody had time for that. One of the Secret Service members, however, discovered that the US Treasury had seized the bulletproof car that mobster Al Capone
owned when he was sent to jail in 1931. They cleaned it, made sure it was running
fine and had it ready for the President the day after.

White House to Capitol Hill was short, agents werent sure how to transport him
safely. At the time, Federal Law prohibited buying any cars that cost more than $750, so they would have to get clearance from Congress to do that, and nobody had time for that. One of the Secret Service members, however, discovered that the US Treasury had seized the bulletproof car that mobster Al Capone
owned when he was sent to jail in 1931. They cleaned it, made sure it was running
fine and had it ready for the President the day after.
And run properly it did. Capones car was a sight to behold. It had been painted black a
and green so as to look identical to Chicagos police cars at the time. It also had a specially
installed siren and flashing lights hidden behind the grille, along with a police scanner radio.
To top it off, the gangsters 1928 Cadillac 341A Town Sedan had 3,000 pounds of armor and
inch-thick bulletproof windows. Mechanics are said to have cleaned and checked each feature
of the Caddy well into the night of December 7th, to make sure that it would run properly the
next day for the Commander in Chief.

The car was sold at an auction price
of $341,000 in 2012.

READ the link here for some additional facts... ws

BACKGROUND: http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-times-blog/2009/07/14/fdr-al-capones-armored-car-and-oddball-procurement-rules-of-the-40s/

Al Capone's
1928 Cadillac 341a Town Sedan
Now the President's Limo
December 1941