Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #1
[email protected]

Default '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

I'm trying to get ready for spring. I started the '26 today and later this evening I hope to back it out of the shed and get it ready to work on this Saturday.
The '21 as always is waiting to get the rear main thrust built up to get rid of the end play on my crank. Then Back to Andy's and all hell is going to break loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1277.jpg (56.9 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1278.jpg (63.0 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1280.jpg (49.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1279.jpg (52.7 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1283.jpg (72.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1286.jpg (65.4 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1287.jpg (85.7 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1276.jpg (49.5 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1289.jpg (54.5 KB, 110 views)
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-28-2012 at 06:42 PM.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: '26 and '21 getting ready for spring

Thats a jim dandy garage youve got. Looks like I gotta get up there and help you hang some lights. Is that the heater in question up in the corner? Look identical to the one Ive got... Menards perhaps??? ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
[email protected]

Yep, retards. Your right, my lights suck. But now you've got a picture of everything at my place that's part of the Model T's. Took the '26 out of the shed today and went for a ride around the block. She's running a little rough. Seems she might have a sticky valve or two and if I don't get that emergency brake ratchet fixed some day I'm going to drive her right through the back wall of the garage. Last fall I could get the radiator to stop leaking. I thought it was coming out of the overflow but everyone insisted it was a hole. So I went ahead and put a can of stop leak in it and no matter what it was the radiator didn't soak my shed floor with antifreeze this winter and there's still antifreeze above the tubes in the radiator. Now it's time to go to Rollies Long Necks and Red Necks and have my Windsor.

Oh by the way will. That heater worked for about 2 months and the control board went out on it. I've got a meeting in my garage on Saturday and I'm without a heater. I hope it's as nice then and it was today.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 03-14-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
yachtsmanbill

Yeah man... why spend 2K on a Modine when you can buy chinaman heater $200... wonder if they use those in those mud houses on the rice patties?
Getter done yet??? ws

Gotta baby sit that POS every morning for 2-3 start attempts. Turn the T stat up to 80 and go inside for an hour. Come back out and its off and 60F inside. I used to think its because the T stat is on a cold wall, but chinaman has no INSURATION either ???

Do you need a ratchet? I just replaced mine with a better one... the original was smooth so I filed new teefs in it. Theres a few that miss but its better than NONE! Lemme know...
Old 03-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
fordman67

Dang it Mike! U are making me depressed....them some good looking T's you have there! I wish my work space was as uncluttered...I have TOO many projects! Glad you have one at least that you can enjoy while servicing the other! Nice strategy.
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
[email protected]

Aaron, that particular strategy came about last year when my touring went down with the scored piston. I about went crazy without being able to get into a model t and at least take it around the block. I would prefer having my touring car running but at least this way I've got a fix for my addiction.

Will, usually when my ratchets get warn to the point where there smooth I weld them solid, weld a 2 ft chunk of pipe on the end and just like magic, I've got a breaker bar.

Oh, you meant the ratchet on my emergency brake. Yeah that ones smooth too, but I've got a brand new one I bought from Mr Loso last fall. I'm thinking that if the weather can be decent this coming Saturday it'll be my project while everyone is standing around the garage wishing they had something to work on.

By the way, do you need my address to put into your GPS so you can find my house Saturday morning. We usually kick these things off sometime around 9:00 AM. Make sure Pat brings that tater salad with her. Then all we need is about 4 dozen brats and buns and some chips and cold drinks and we'll be ready to go. Some banana cream pie and we could all beat on our chests and announce our positions within the ranks of the male of the species. Argh!! It is I, It is me, Pampero Ferpo, Oh yeah. I am the bull of the Pampas. It's surprising what good food will do to even the meekest mouse of a man. Just think what it'll do for men like us. Argh!!

Ok now it's time for me to get my jammies on and have some milk and cookies.

Hey, I think I've got a sticky valve. In the past I use to pull the valve cover off and spray them with a little liquid wrench. Then work them back and forth against the spring until they loosen up. Of course it may be playing games with me because of a burned valve too and, well I guess, rather than worrying about a sticking valve maybe I ought to just go ahead and pull the head, clean the carbon off everything and figure on grinding the valves and lapping everything in. It's a job I haven't done on a flathead since I helped the old man do it on the old ford logging truck when I was a kid but maybe I can remember how to do it. and besides it's an excuse to buy some more tools.
Let's go.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
[email protected]

Up at 4:00 AM this morning with a cold wet nose pushing on my forehead and a wet sloppy tongue in my ear. So I gave her fifty bucks and told her I'd call her. Then the dog came in looking for her breakfast. So after I slipped my jammies back on I went out and put some food down. Then I got some puppy chow and put that in a bowl for the dog. I made a pot of coffee and by then my wheaties had cooled down. So after fixing myself a couple pieces of toast with butter and honey on them I sat down in my chair and started to eat my cream of wheat. I looked at the clock and it was 4:30 AM so I thought to heck with it I'm going to have another bowl of oatmeal. So I ate the toast and jelly and washed it down with a cup of tea. At 5:00 AM I went back to bed.
At approximately 11:30 AM I woke up with a sloppy wet tongue in my ear and a cold wet nose in my face. The dog was ready for her dinner. So I fed her and ate a bowl of chilli noodle soup. And as long as it wasn't quite noon yet I sat down in my chair and took a nap. Then at 2:00 PM I woke up with drool dripping off my chin and a wet sloppy tongue licking my face. So I pulled my tongue back in. Wiped the drool off with my shirt sleeve and went out to work on cleaning up the garage for Saturday's model t meeting. But when I got out there I realize it was getting close to the end of the day and I wanted to watch a little TV before I went to bed. I went in sat down in my recliner, started watching TV and I fell asleep and took a nap. Sometime around 10:00 PM I woke up, took my medicine, made some popcorn, went in the bedroom and laid down to watch TV. Before I could finish the popcorn I fell asleep. And that pretty much ended my day. I think tomorrow I'm going to clean the garage and get it ready for the model t ford club meeting on Saturday. But for now I need a nap.
Let's go.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:30 PM   #8
fordman67

all that tounge lashing and nose touching.Im tuckerd out just thinking about it myself. Sure wish I could come all that way sat to hang with some t fellas.Maybe someday I might make it up that way.Sounds like alot of fun.You and Bill will have to fill me in after all the brats have fallen and the potato ssalad has settled. But leave me out of the chest beating, food makes me sleeeeepy!
haha,have fun!
Aaron
Old 03-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
[email protected]

Bill still hasn't sent his RSVP back yet. Although I guess it won't be any big deal if he just shows up. There should be enough food there for even a big guy like him.

Went out tonight and purchased a big ole coffee urn. I still have to go out and buy some cases of soda pop and ice and throw it in a cooler. I also bought all the mixings for a huge pot of chilli soup with lots of kidney and chilli beans and enough hamburger to choke a horse, also some soda crackers, raw onions, cheddar cheese and sour cream. Now if I make some "Johnny Cake" (sweet corn bread), with butter and honey, I figure no-one should have to go home hungry. As long as nobody gets into my Windsor, it should be ok. It's also fun to add some "scoops" corn chips in there to use in place of spoons. Beyond that it's going to be pot luck with lots of hotdishes and deserts. So tomorrow I've got to set-up the chairs in the shop and put the cushions out on the deck chairs, sweep out the garage, cook the chilli and fix the broken toilet seat. I just hope a lot of the club people come. I don't expect the guys who went to Chickasha to be there but I hope some of the rest of the guys and their wives from the club show up. It would really be great if the weather would hold up and some of them would drive their Model T's. I know mine will be here. I can't believe the jitters I've got. I promise I'll take my camera and post a bunch of pictures. I'm also hoping to get some of the people in the park to stop by and see the Model T's if they're here. Now tonight, though knowing I may end up with a headache, I came up with an idea for a cruise this summer. So if my new friend from Two Rivers Wisconsin and the other guy from Indiana want to come over and drive along, I'm sure they'd be welcomed.

There's something else I'd like to make sure most of my Ford Barn friends keep in mind. On December 21'st 2012 huge solar flares are going to cause the liquor stores to run out of Windsor. So you'll please forgive me if I'm not in a good mood and when I post cause a lot of anger here on the Forum. But, the emergency should be short lived and if necessary I might be able to be coerced into drinking MacMasters. So it'll not be necessary to hoard your whiskey or make a run on the liquor or grocery stores or start learning how to fire handguns and assault rifles. Consider this a warning and keep in mind a drinking Mike is a happy Mike. And after all I only drink one and one half shots of Windsor 2 to 3 times per week.
Thank you,
-Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1198.jpg (64.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1206.jpg (55.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1202.jpg (78.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1163.jpg (65.9 KB, 44 views)
Let's go.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #10
fordman67

Oh my...this summer...i will have to get moving on mine then...i would come up that way.i will just have to figure a tow vehicle to come in.my ol 89 dodge is probably not up to that.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
[email protected]

My cars, my shop and tomorrows chilli. It's resting for now. In the morning it'll simmer for a couple of hours. It'll have cooked 4 hours all together. After this group gets done eating this chilli tomorrow I might have to pass out a lot of Beano. My God it's gonna be good. Yee Haw!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1300.jpg (54.4 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1301.jpg (58.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1302.jpg (52.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1303.jpg (58.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1304.jpg (60.0 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1310.jpg (61.7 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1313.jpg (78.5 KB, 46 views)
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #12
yachtsmanbill

Hows the party goin'? Looks like the weather was ideal! 80F with a south wind. Didnt need that heater after all didja??? ws

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-93.2668&e=0
Old 03-17-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
Hows the party goin'? Looks like the weather was ideal! 80F with a south wind. Didnt need that heater after all didja??? ws

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...2=-93.2668&e=0
For the first hour it was a little chilli. Then the sky became overcast and the wind kicked up. Then the humidity went up and the temp dropped. So though by noon the heater would have been nice it really wasn't that bad. We sat in the garage and told some good stories and had some good laughs. Everyone came looking for the motor they were going to put into a car. Somebody put it in our club newspaper that was going to be the project for today. It would have been nice if they would have consulted with me first! At any rate about 14 people showed up and they brought some really good tuna pasta salad, some cold slaw, doughnuts and cupcakes with green frosting. I think the chilli went pretty good and with all the fixin's nobody went home hungry. Now I've got a whole bunch of groceries left over because I expected a lot bigger crowd than I got. In past meetings I've been to there's never been less than 40 people. Maybe next time. I know Chickasha really put a damper on some of the proceedings. Maybe next time. We didn't have any of the club officers show up but we did end up having 2 of the board members. Of course with so few people and no officers we didn't have the monthly meeting. Maybe next time. So all in all it was a very manageable small group of people that ate some really good food. Hopefully next years won't fall so close to so many other things. We had one couple show up at around 1:30 after everyone had gone home. We sat and talked for a couple minutes. They're one of my favorite couples in the group and I was really glad they came over. All in all it was a wonderful time with some wonderful people and I won't hesitate to do it again. Next time though I'm going to somehow enlist some help getting things done. And I won't spend every last cent on groceries and supplies. I really don't need all of these leftovers. Haha. Now hopefully this next month can be spent saving up some money and finding time to get my touring put back together.
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
fordman67

Mike,sounds like you had a good turnout. I never figure on any more than 1/3 of the invited to show on a good day. I sure could eat some chili.That is one of my favorites!

I did not get anything done on my car today. I did get 3 other peoples projects further along....I have yet to finish one and begin on another.then it is on like donkey kong for the T....

I love the lettering on the tudor.Is that old from a previous life ?old patina like that is awesome.my 41car is going to keep all its patina.it got it honest so it will stay!
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
yachtsmanbill

C'mon man... Poncho probably LUVS chili ! You really have 40 people in the club? My big turn out is when Walt comes over for a smoke, or Pat calls me on the crack phone to let me know coffee is ready... Its lonely at the top aint it??? ws
Old 03-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
[email protected]

The Arkansaw Rec Hall was an actual place that existed in Arkansaw Wisconsin. And yes the name of the town was spelled with a w instead of an s. It's really close to or even a part of Durand Wisconsin. Though the Rec Hall is gone and the original people that owned it have passed I was able to contact their daughter. She's living where I grew up in Grand Rapids MN. For the last several years that her Dad was alive he dealt with dementia so her husband drove the car around in parades until the mother died and the T was sold to a Bob Peterson in Southern Minnesota. Every year they have a car show in Grand Rapids and I'm hoping to get it up there in the future so they can see it again and maybe he'll get to drive it. Then at some point I'd like to take it to Arkansaw and enter it in their parade again. But all that is going to have to happen after I get into a little better shape. I guess the name was put on in the '50s or '60s. There's no way I'll ever take it off. As a matter of fact I plan on only working on the running gear and putting some better seats in it. And that's it. From that point on it's all about maintenance. I really like my touring and it has a wonderful history but the sedan, for some reason, feels closer to my heart and I think it's because of the lettering on the door and the story that goes with it. I like to tell people that the rec hall is one of those places that Dillinger, Baby Face and Capone frequented. That's why I want to get a replica of a Tommy Gun or a BAR or something to put in the back seat.
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #17
[email protected]

With a name like Poncho you better believe he likes chilli. Problem is, chilli doesn't always like him. I always like to put a lot of beans in it and they pretty much tear him up. And with his propensity to drink a lot of bad, skunky, Schlitz beer it's chaos around here after a good chilli feed. And his Girlfriend Lacey likes it too and her, being the lady she is, keeps everything silent and sneaky but deadly. As a matter of fact she reminds me of grandpa when he'd get done with a shift in the mines and go up to The Wrecking Bar and eat all those pickled eggs and wash them down with 3.2 beer. He chewed Copenhagen and claimed it kept the worms down. I think it was those damned eggs that kept him free of parasites. He's the one that taught me to turn my long johns inside out the end of January and it would take until the end of April for the lice and fleas to crawl through the wool to the inside. Most winters I barely got bit at all. Then he'd always take me down to the creek and we'd do laundry and he'd sit in the truck while I'd take a bath. Then we were good until the next Fall.
Let's go.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
ppat324

Well, Mike, I won't comment on the long johns or the effects of chili but I will let you know that I have a solution to all that food.

Get some zip lock freezer bags and seperate the chili into 2-3 days servings. Be sure all the air is out of the bag but leave a space at top for expansion. Close it up and freeze. Be sure to label it with a black marker so you know what it is. Date it too, should be good for 6 months. Tuna salad, that depends on what is in it. Mayo doesn't do well in the freezer but you can try freezing it.

Wish we could of made it, I would of loved to see your T's and still plan on getting together this summer. ppat

ps.....be sure to put windsor down before reading Bill's posts from now on....LOL
ppat324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #19
fordman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The Arkansaw Rec Hall was an actual place that existed in Arkansaw Wisconsin. And yes the name of the town was spelled with a w instead of an s. It's really close to or even a part of Durand Wisconsin. Though the Rec Hall is gone and the original people that owned it have passed I was able to contact their daughter. She's living where I grew up in Grand Rapids MN. For the last several years that her Dad was alive he dealt with dementia so her husband drove the car around in parades until the mother died and the T was sold to a Bob Peterson in Southern Minnesota. Every year they have a car show in Grand Rapids and I'm hoping to get it up there in the future so they can see it again and maybe he'll get to drive it. Then at some point I'd like to take it to Arkansaw and enter it in their parade again. But all that is going to have to happen after I get into a little better shape. I guess the name was put on in the '50s or '60s. There's no way I'll ever take it off. As a matter of fact I plan on only working on the running gear and putting some better seats in it. And that's it. From that point on it's all about maintenance. I really like my touring and it has a wonderful history but the sedan, for some reason, feels closer to my heart and I think it's because of the lettering on the door and the story that goes with it. I like to tell people that the rec hall is one of those places that Dillinger, Baby Face and Capone frequented. That's why I want to get a replica of a Tommy Gun or a BAR or something to put in the back seat.
Mike,That is awesome! you just cant beat that.I wish I knew the history of mine.When i removed the interior of mine i found an old for sale sign.i have tried calling the number but always get a machine.I would ask about the history if someone would answer the phone.
I wonder if there is any way to search on other than dmv to see where the ol gal has been registered?
Aaron
Old 03-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #20
[email protected]

ppat, the freezer bags are the only way to freeze stuff. I've got homemade applesauce, sour kraut, older yet chilli, stew and some things that look like a science experiment gone bad in freezer bags. We've always canned homemade tomato soup, sauce and whole tomatoes that way for many years. We've done jams too. But with jams you have to be careful because they don't always freeze solid. Sometimes they become really thick but it's almost like the stuff they use to put in the Stretch Armstrong dolls. When you put a half of beef on top of it has a tendency to loosen the seal and the bottom of the freezer get a half in layer of some kind of sticky crap the won't wash off your hands easily. God I can't ever start to remember some of the stuff we've frozen in ziploc bags. We did learn however to not use the ziploc plastic containers with the blue tops. One 1lb package of meat down on one of those and you have some really strange popsickles.
Let's go.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #21
[email protected]

Went over to Andy's shop this afternoon to put my flywheel together. Got all the magnets bolted on with the spools, plates and brass screws in place. Was mounting the center shaft on and had 3 bolts in and drawn down. Andy went to put the last bolt in and it wouldn't tighten. The threads were stripped out the full depth of the threads. So we had a little conversation and decided the best thing for me to do was grab a different flywheel from under the bench, bead blast it and start all over again. So I got one side blasted down at Andy's and tomorrow I'll finish it up here at home. Then I'm going to sit in the door of the shop with the flywheels side by side and start switching parts over. I guess it's just one more glitch in a one long endless line of glitches. I'm starting to realize I would have been time and money ahead to just start this project with the whole idea of a total restore of the running gear. And if things continue to go as they are I might just go ahead and do it. It's just that last fall when the magneto went to hell the motor was running so strong. It wasn't using any oil, though everywhere I went it would mark it's territory. If anything, it needs a decent set of gaskets on the oil pan. I'm a little concerned with the rearend and thought it would be a good idea to look at what it would take to rebuild it.

I remember when I rebuilt my '38 Ford pickup running gear I spent day after day feeling like I would never get it finished. And then all of a sudden I had it done and I was driving it around the yard. The battery was held in with haywire and I also used haywire for the throttle. I was really happy because everything worked exactly as it should. I'm thinking I've got a day like that coming in the future and I'm really looking forward to getting to it.
Let's go.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #22
fordman67

Boy am i with you on that whole situation.im chomping at the bit to work on my stuff.But i have 4a pprojects not of my own now to finish b4 i can work on my own.My biggest hang up is i have been down in my back totally since sat. NOT getting anything done.barely getting to work. By the time i get done im shot and can barely pick my little girl up.NOT good at all!
Just keep up the good work! Maybe someday i will get caught up to you!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #23
[email protected]

Fun day today. I'm paying bills and taking care of the taxes so this POS state's Democrats and POS country's Democrats can quit trying to starve us to death for this year. Then if I still have time today and my state of mind isn't too bad I should be able to start the rework on my flywheel. Hopefully I can get a bus load of people here to help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Casino run.jpg (426.2 KB, 17 views)
Let's go.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
yachtsmanbill

Looks like the BUNKO squad! ws
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
[email protected]

Quote:
Looks like the BUNKO squad! ws
I think it looks like one of the busses that casinos send out to pick up loads of elderly people to make it convenient for them to give their social security money to the casinos. They constantly warn seniors about illegal scams that are out there to rip them off but the casino's are taking their money with absolutely no regard to their welfare. The stupid seniors will give up food and and cut back on their medication in order to have money to go to the casinos and no-one cares. What the casinos are doing is actually legal.
Let's go.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #26
fordman67

We have one here in town.let me tell you! It should be illegal.my grandma before she died was down there quite often.she always said she made out good.somehow with how her affairs were after she passed i think not! I work way to hard for MY money to just go give it away.If im gonna waste it i will at least burn it and get a bit of heat from it!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:29 AM   #27
[email protected]

11:30, time for lunch. break out the chicken drummies and the chips. What the heck you're retired, have a beer while you're at it. Then get your butt back out there and finish that flywheel.
Let's go.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 PM   #28
[email protected]

I worked in the shop for awhile today. I finished bead blasting the flywheel. Now I can go out tomorrow and put the magnets on the new flywheel. It just seems like this job is 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I'm getting it done but it's a pain to have to redo the magnets again. But tomorrow I can sit quietly and get the job done.

Than Saturday I'm going to head North about 170 miles and visit my grandkids till about 4:00 and then to a lady's house on the west end of town to meet a bunch of the people I graduated with from Grand Rapids Senior High School in Grand Rapids Minnesota. I haven't seen these people for 44 years and I'm pretty sure I won't recognize any of them. When I was in High School there was an unwritten rule that if your dad owned one of the business in town or worked at the paper mill you could run with the "cool" kids. But if your old man worked in the mines like mine did, you weren't anyone they wanted to waste their time on. I think out of 345 kids in our class 5 or 6 of them went to Viet Nam during what should have been their college years. The rest used their deferment to go to college and stay away from the draft.

So enough of that. After spending a couple hours with them I'm headed for home. Hopefully I'll arrive back here in one piece. At any rate it's going to be a sober night.

Then Sunday it's going to be a call to Andy and see if I can get down to his father in laws and put the gauge on the flyweel and set the height on the magnets. Then hopefully I'll be able to get everything balanced and ready to start assembling. I hope the engine comes in early in the week next week. Then I can get it together and get 'er done. I suppose sometime on Sunday I'm going to have to clean up and express my anal glands. That way I'll be able to go into public during the week.

So does anyone have any experience with magneto lights and horn? It seems like it would be a kind of a good way to go on a "non-electric" car such as my '21 touring. All I'd power off it would be signal and brake lights. I'd probably hook up the headlights In case I'd ever get stuck out after dark and had to get home.
Let's go.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #29
[email protected]

The main bearing cap thrust surface is rebuilt and torqued in place. The flywheel is all assembled. Taking it to Farmallcub49's shop on Saturday to set the heights of the magnets and also flatten the oil pan on his jig. Worked a little bit today cleaning up the block a bit. Scraped the remaining pan gasket off the bottom and washed the mounting bolts for the flywheel and the center shaft. Would really like to get started balancing the assembled flywheel as well as the low, reverse and brake drums. Also match the weight of the triple gears. Then start reassembling everything. Still going to replace the starter and though it's never had a charging system on it, I'd like to put a generator and voltage regulator on it and then start getting ready to start touring. I finally got the canvas for the top and I've still got to rebuild the bows. It'll be nice to have something to keep the rain off. I'll hope to have both the touring and the sedan running and ready for tours no later than July 1st. The club has a really fun tour every year on the 4th of July and I want to make sure if one car won't make it the other one will. I'm also heading up to Grand Rapids MN for their annual car show this summer. I'm not all that excited to put my sedan in the show as to drive it around town and show it to the original owner's daughter and her husband. The husband had driven the car for 30 years after the original owner was forced to quit driving it because of health problems. Maybe he'll get a chance to drive it again.
Let's go.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
fordman67

Boy oh boy...u are sure making me wish i could get time to work though on my project. I hope you at least have some. fun for the me! Good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
Boy oh boy...u are sure making me wish i could get time to work though on my project. I hope you at least have some. fun for the me! Good luck!
What's the current status on the '41? I am having fun but I'm constantly in the middle of something else. Last Saturday I drove about 175 miles, went to a gun show and then ended up at a get together with old classmates from 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM then drove another 175 miles home. That knocked me out for the next 3 days. I don't know if it's because of my overweight condition or advanced age or all the medicine or the dying liver but for some reason I just cant seem to get caught up once I get tired. Now on Saturday I want to go to a gun show and Farmallcub49 wants me at his shop to do the magnets on the flywheel and straighten the oil pan. So do I stay with my previous plans and see if I can go to Andy's shop on Sunday? Or do I suck it up and go to Andy's on Saturday? Being single and having hobbies that I can somewhat afford really stinks. Haha But then I put in my 33 years married and raised 3 kids and put my ex-wife through school. And believe me I gave up some beautiful cars during my time in order to put my ex through college. And once she had finished her masters and got the things she wanted in life I was gone. So now it's my turn to live for a change.
Let's go.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:37 AM   #32
fordman67

Haha the 41? None! I got roped into helping a friend finish up a 33 he was working on and have my boss's mustang in my shop so nada. I hope to work on something of my own here in a couple of weeks.probably going to get the body up so the frame can go to powder coat.my buddy is trying to sell his powder coat business so he said i better get it to him.then...i think im gonna get the t chasis back together and may drive it with the body like it is for a while....only time will tell.
just take care of your self.dont over doo it.but keep having fun doing it!

Them dang exes....im lucky.i never had any young uns w her so i dont have to see her.i just hope she gets remarried and looses MY last name.that still makes me mad.she should change it back since she got gone.oh well.peace!
Old 04-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
[email protected]

Well Will's joined the ranks of the employed. Puttin' in some long hours but at least he's working and he'll be able to get that ole Pollinator finished the way he wants. He'll just have to take a little longer to do it. And to think he was giving me crap about how long it was taking me.

Went over to Andy's shop today and worked on the flywheel. We got all the magnets set. I figure there within .002" of each other. Or not. I didn't measure it with an indicator. Just the hard gage. We also threw the pan on the fixture and Andy did his magic and got it flat. Should seal ok. It did leak before but he figures a gasket should work just fine now.

Next step is balance the flywheel and drums. Then back to Andy's to put it together. I can't believe how much I have to force myself to get down to his shop to get some work done. Because when I get there I really like it. I guess it's because something gets done.
Let's go.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
fordman67

Sounds like you are at least moving forward.that is better than not at all.
what does andy charge to straighten one? Im thinking i should have it checked...
My block is on the stand now at least...
Old 04-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #35
[email protected]

I don't know what his cost would be. I know it took him about 15 minutes to do mine. thing is it needed to be done on an actual pan straightening fixture. I seriously wondered if mine would really need it. But after seeing him heat the metal and saw how much it had to move to straighten it, I'm a believer. Send him a private message. His handle on here is farmallcub49. Yeah that's right he named himself after his little tractor.
Let's go.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #36
fordman67

II do love them farmalls! Got an M myself.can never remember what year. I look it up by serial then promptly forgeg once again...i will have to drop him a line.at least its clean...i just had it chemical cleaned.it was NASTY!
Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #37
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman67 View Post
II do love them farmalls! Got an M myself.can never remember what year. I look it up by serial then promptly forgeg once again...i will have to drop him a line.at least its clean...i just had it chemical cleaned.it was NASTY!
Famall is the only real tractors ever built everything else is just a copy. They were the first row crop and started in 1923 with the Regular. I had one from 1930 and I loved it. I sold it at an auction and now I consider that one of the biggest mistakes I ever made in life. At the time I had around 7 or 8 old Farmalls and one Allis Chalmers and that was my tractor for clearing snow. When I took the Regular engine apart I pulled the rod inserts and they were stamped March 3 1930. I thought that was a really neat deal.
Let's go.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 PM   #38
fordman67

That IS too cool! Mine is actualy from a elderly family member.He bought it brand new.it was on one farm all its life.when he retired he sold it to us for 400$ and threw in a 65 ford f600 grain truck for free.both ran with very little work,i tractor pull the m at the co. Fair once in a while.mainly to remember my best friend who died and introduced me to most of my bad habbits.it needs some cosmetic work but i cant bring myself to do it.afterall they are only original once.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #39
[email protected]

I know what your saying and I actually feel that way to some point with my T's. I like the idea of leaving them in the "survivor" classification. Today I found a running '46 Ford club coupe. No rust but cosmetically scary. I want it but it's really not in the cards. I don't have any room left. I really want to invest in a speedster some day. And though I'm a really bad shade tree mechanic I don't want to build my own. I'm too old to go through something that complicated.
Let's go.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #40
[email protected]

Been a while since I've been on this thread. Gotta go pick up Poncho and Patches in a couple minutes. I'm looking forward to working on the '26 today. I've got to take the muffler off so I can put the new packing nut on. What I've got to do on the sedan today really isn't anything difficult. It's just a matter of doing it. I think it'll be fun to finally hear the motor run right. I hope it's got some decent power. It seemed like it was there before I started on the manifolds and all I'm really doing is improving it.
Let's go.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #41
yachtsmanbill

Rather than pull it all apart, I take a pair of channelox and straighten out about 1/4 of the flare and change the nut. Bend it back so it looks good and tighten it up. Its only a 5 minute job that way... ws
Old 04-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #42
[email protected]

Quote:
Rather than pull it all apart, I take a pair of channelox and straighten out about 1/4 of the flare and change the nut. Bend it back so it looks good and tighten it up. Its only a 5 minute job that way... ws
It should work. I'll give it a try. It's just about noon so I'm going to get my last little bit of rest and then I'm going out. I had another 3 hour night last night, and the lack of sleep has slowed me down a little this AM. Oh yeah, one more thing; I like your new picture a little better. I don't know if my brotha would be all that crazy about me having his photo in here.
Let's go.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #43
[email protected]

Got out to the shop this afternoon and went to work. Had to sandblast just a little more on the intake manifold. And the manifold clamps and bolts. Then I went to work mounting the manifold on. Man is that a balancing act. My counterbores in the block were 1/4 inch deep and the counterbores in the manifold were 1/4 inch deep. The steel rings are 5/16 inch thick. That means with the rings in place there's only 1/16 inch to hang the copper ring on and to mount the manifold onto the block. When the copper ring is 1/16 inch theres nothing left to catch the ring and the manifolds don't match up with the block. So it's a mess to deal with.

After I finished the manifolds I worked on putting the packing nut onto the exhaust pipe. That took a little trickery. First I bent and tapped the flange in on the end of the pipe. Then I slipped the nut onto the pipe and last I took a round body hammer and reshaped the flange. All in all it came out purty good.

Then it was time to call my good friend yachtmanbill and make the measurements he needed off my starter.

Then I took some pictures and cleaned up. And now it's time for my Windsor.

And yes that is a Kingston Carboneater. God give me the strength.

And yes I did put anti seize on all the treads.

Now I'm going to rebuild the Kingston carb and sandblast and paint the heat cover that keeps the carb from icing up. Then put the exhaust back on and put a new hanger on the exhaust pipe. Then I'm going to fired it up and take 'er for a ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1321.jpg (46.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1326.jpg (49.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1341.jpg (55.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1349.jpg (69.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1356.jpg (37.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1354.jpg (54.3 KB, 19 views)
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-13-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:59 PM   #44
ModelTFan01
Banned

That Tudor looks great, but the Touring looks better!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #45
[email protected]

Finished the sedan up today. Had an issue with the exhaust manifold drawing up on the block. It was hanging up on the steel rings. Popped it off and redid the rings so the manifold would draw up to the block and crush the copper rings. Put the carb kit into the Kingston, put the exhaust pipe in and fired it up. It runs better than ever. Tomorrow I'm going for a little tour of my own. i was really surprised to find out my generator and cutout was working. Yesterday when I was working with the manifold clamps I sprayed them with wd40. A bunch of it ran down onto the brushes and commutator. Today I noticed it was sparking a little. So I grabbed the wire that comes out of the cutout and shorted it on the frame and it sparked. Holy crap. So now I gotta do some tracing wires and see if I can patch the wiring enough to get the battery to charge. So now if I can get it to charge I've got one headlight that works. The other one has the bulb missing. And the taillight works. Of course the mufflers shot so it needs replacing someday. I'm having so much fun with the '26 I don't know how I'll ever be able to focus on the '21. But I figure the '21 will be running in time for our first tour with the club. So once again I'm ready to ride off into the sunset.

Thanks Andy for putting up with me when I called tonight. I was just a touch frustrated. Could you tell. But everything worked out by the time I was done.

Actually Garrett the touring is my fair weather car. It looks better than the sedan and it's a lot of fun on sunny days but it still needs a lot of work to get it back together.
Let's go.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #46
yachtsmanbill

Whos the handsome guy in the avavtar?

As soon as you turn the switch on, that wire shod become hot. Check it with a voltmeter.. Off should be six volts and runningshoud be about 6.6 - 7 vdc ws
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #47
[email protected]

Bill, I'm going to test it apre church today. My biggest situation right now is trying to figure out if I can hook into something in the wire harness. I'm really excited to have a car that I can charge the battery on. Now that I've got the thing running so well it would be a great bonus to not have to crank the SOB everytime the battery runs down a little bit. Will that pollinator be running today?
Let's go.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #48
yachtsmanbill

I gotta wait probably another two freakin' weeks to get another starter back from Ohiya. I need to talk with the builder to see if he is gonna accept responsibilty for shipping the bum unit.
Pats son Scott is moving up here today from Shitcago. The 25 year old kid needs to start his life over. Great guy, and very helpful, but a deadbeat. We are putting him up on the couch until he gets a job in town and his own crib. I know times are different but at 25 Pat had a family, and I had 5 years into a career with ComEd, a house, new cars etc... I sincerely wish him the best.
I may go goof off in the shop for a while... So far I had to move a kitchen cabinet for the new ice box coming tomorrow, clear out a closet and straighten up outside the shop in the rain... Brrrrrr...... ws
Old 04-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #49
[email protected]

This rain has got me dealing with a really bad attitude today. I wanted to do something with the '26 today. You know do something like maybe "DRIVE IT". First I wanted to take it to Church. That didn't work out. Then I thought maybe I'd be able to drive it to my ex-wife's house to celebrate my daughter's birthday. My God my youngest is 31 tomorrow. Holy crap. My oldest turned 38 on Feb 1st. When that kid hits 40 I'm going to feel so old I don't know how I'll react.

Bill, when I was 25 I ended up living with my parents. Because when I was 24 my 1st bitc_ Oops I mean wife left me with my kid and took my brand new car and left me with my '56 Chebby Nomad. Before she left she got a sears charge card and bought herself a house full of furniture. Black leather and the whole works. Then she moved into her mother's house. Because we had a judge that lived most of his life with his head up his A__ my ex got the kid, my new car, all the brand new funiture and 1/2 the value of the house when we sold it. Of course my half went to pay the mortgage because she skipped state for a year and the bank needed to be paid. And in the last 40 years she hasn't changed a bit.
Let's go.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:04 PM   #50
Farmallcub49

Mike,

Doesn't that 26 have a generator?
Farmallcub49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #51
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
Mike,

Doesn't that 26 have a generator?
Yes it has a generator that was dead last time I checked it. The wiring had actually been cut on it. And when I tested it with the multimeter it was dead. Then this last weak while I was working on the car I sprayed the manifold bolts with WD40. While I was spraying the second one back the WD40 was running into the generator. When I got the job done yesterday I looked down in the generator and noticed sparking on the top brush. Then I took the wire that comes off the cutout and it sparked against the frame. That's as far as I got with it. It's a little scary because the back of the generator is an open style and the cover is off the cutout. I was going to put a multimeter on it today but my time was taken up with my daughters birthday celebration at the ex's in Foley. So stay tuned for further developments.

I'm in shock at how great the car runs. I'm actually dialing it in as I'm driving it, but the more I mess with it the better it runs. As you said the other day the Kingston's are sensitive to changes but they are responsive too. Now I want to check out the bands. I've got a feeling the original bands are still in the car. I want to go with kevlar. I'm just not sure how bad I want to take the job on. Thanks to you I know what I'm doing but that still doesn't make it fun. I'll bet it takes me longer than 40 minutes. Actually if I had my way I'd re-ring the motor, grind the valves, then do the same job I'm doing on the '21 with the magneto and the crankshaft endplay, and rebuild the tranny. I think I could do the next one faster than the first one. But for now I just want to work on the bands.
Let's go.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:34 PM   #52
[email protected]

When I got done with the '26 the other day I shut it down and everything was peachy. Then later when I went out to the shop there was gas making a puddle on the floor. So today I took the float and needle out and bent the float so it would shut off the gas flow before it flooded over into the carburetor and all over the floor. After getting the float set right I took the car for a drive. I put on about 20 to 25 miles and never had a single issue with it. So I went to the store and filled the tank with gasoline. When I got home I checked the generator to see how many volts it was putting out. I put the multi meter on it and it read 10.5 to 11 VDC. At first there was nothing. So I smacked the case on the generator and it started to work. I'm surprised the generator is putting out that kind of voltage. I wish it would work all the time. But I'm getting zilch sometimes and 11 volts if I hit it with a hammer. I think I recognize a reliability issue.
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #53
Farmallcub49

Mike,

I would pull it out and rebuild it. IF you are not going to do that soon, please take a bare wire and run it from the output terminal of the generator and to one of the cover mounting screws to ground it out. IF not, soon the armature will cook itself and you'll have to buy are rebuilt armature.

Andy
Old 04-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #54
[email protected]

I was just reading about shutting generators Dow to keep them from burning up.
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
[email protected]

I put a new needle and seat in the Kingston Carb on my '26. I also changed spray needle and put new gaskets in. This along with the new manifold and gaskets and it's running better than I hoped it would. So I should be smiling, right? Well I am but There's a problem. After I drove it the other night I forgot to shut the gas off. I went out a couple hours later and there was a puddle of gas under the carboneater. So because it was a new needle valve and I did mess with the float a little bit I figured the float level was set a little too high. So last night I pulled the float out and reset it so it didn't go so high. Put it back together and before I put the bowl back on I tried them to make sure the gas was going to flow with the bowl on and close without too much pressure or travel. I thought it was perfect. I put it back together, gave the gas time to fill the bowl and started the motor. It ran great until it ran all the gas out of the bowl and then died. Then I gave the bowl time to refill and started it and it ran out of gas, because the bowl was empty. So I took the bowl off again and opened things up a little so it would have a little better flow. I started it up and it ran fine. So it was quitting time so I shut the gas off and today I went out and everything was dry. But I figured I'd check things again, so I fired up the beast and drove it around a bit. Parked it in the driveway and left the gas open. I went out just a little bit ago and there was a puddle under the car. So I looked at the top of the carb and I could see where gas was coming out over the top of the bowl and I'm pretty sure the float is still to high. I say this because it's a brand new seat and there's nothing about the way the needle acts in the seat that causes me to think it's sticking. So my question is; are the floats and needles so sensitive in Kingston carbs that they're this hard to get right. As I said one minute it's not getting enough gas and the next minute it's got gas running all over out of the top of the carb? And I don't mean to be a pain but please don't come back to me and tell me it's a sticking needle valve, when I can turn the problem on and off with the simplest and smallest adjustment of the float. I think it's just that sensitive to adjustments but I'm surprised at how sensitive. I think I've got the old needle and seat and it was working fine before I changed it for the new one. I wonder if there's a chance the seat I bought from my favorite supplier doesn't match up to the old one. Hmmm...

Now for the good news. Thursday around 9:00 AM I'm going over to the neighbors machine shop and spend some time balancing the flywheel and drums for the '21. I'm going to throw the triple gears on a scale and make sure they weigh the same. That then opens up to the opportunity to take the motor and magneto coil and flywheel down to 'OSO Handy Restorations and have them assist me to match the magneto coils and the flywheel and magnets. Once that's done I'll be assembling my '21 and getting it put back together. If things work out right theres a chance I'll have both cars ready to go at the same time. Yee Haw.
Let's go.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #56
Farmallcub49

Mike the correct float setting for all kingstons is 7/16". This is measured from the top of the float to the machined gasket surface on the throttle body.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:47 PM   #57
[email protected]

Thanks Andy. You're the best. I figured there had to be some kind of a spec. Are they all so sensitive? I've never had as hard a time as I'm having with this one.
Let's go.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #58
yachtsmanbill

The NH Ive got is a gusher or no gas also. Didnt do anything but take it apart and clean it. Gonna try some lapping compound on the flat valve. I also just picked up an L4 Kingston from edog. I needed one with the U joint adjuster as the NH was an earlier model.
Got the SIL moved in and finished up with the DS so that I can get back to the task at hand... Boating time is coming up soon!! ws
Old 04-18-2012, 09:40 PM   #59
[email protected]

Nothing done on any model t's today. My brother came down to visit from Nordern Mintysoda and we went out and drove around in the '26. Ended up at the local gourmet restaurant. He had a Fillet of Fish with McFrys and a coke. I had a McChicken something with McFrys and a milk. Then he had to go back for another sammich and I had a couple of their miniature McApple McPies. Then after going in to have our stomachs pumped we drove the '26 back home and just stood outside in the beautiful sunny day and spent a couple hours telling lies about out families and how his kids aren't that good looking or not too bright and what geniuses my children are and how good looking they are. Then after I told him what I thought of his kids, I ducked a couple of quick jabs from the left but then he caught me with a right and I gave him a good kick where he really needed a good kick. Then we said goodbye and he went home. All in all it was an eventful time and maybe it'll be nice for him to come back again next year. Actually he'll have to if I'm gonna get my $50.00 back from him. I don't see why I have to pay for his gas to come visit me!
Let's go.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:12 AM   #60
[email protected]

I've had a request from a friend asking me to change the picture in my avatar back to the one that was on here before. And I'm going to change it but not to the one I had before.

Things aren't working out for me to balance my drums and flywheel this morning so I'll be doing them this afternoon.

I'm really looking to the future when I have both my Model T's are running. I'm already thinking about how I can start putting money away so I'll be able to buy a speedster in the future. I'm actually starting to consider where it'll go so the people that run this park won't get on my case too much.

So now I gotta go. I've got things to do yet this morning before I go over to work on my tranny.
Let's go.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #61
[email protected]

I've got the flywheel and drums as close as I could get them. I think we got the flywheel as close as possible. The drums were a little rough to do anything with. I didn't want to take a lot of material off and end up weakening them. But at any rate it's as good as I was going to get em. I really appreciated the help I got from my friend "Walter". He's got a really nice machine shop and it was a joy working in it. To be honest it's the shop I've always wanted since I finished my machinist training 35 years ago and started working as a machinist. But now Walter has poisoned my mind with the idea I need to put in a turbo 400 clutch set-up. But presently I'm only considering it. I've still got some financial restraints with doing it. At any rate I'm back working on the '21.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1300.jpg (54.4 KB, 11 views)
Let's go.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #62
[email protected]

Some days your the car tire and some days your the dog. Today was a little rough for me. I went out to work on the transmission today and nearly had it completely together. I was tightening the clutch driving plate down on the clutch push ring. Everything was going well until I heard one click and then a couple more. I looked things over and realized the transmission brake drum had cracked nearly 2/3 of the way around it's perimeter. So I ended up tearing the transmission completely apart to see if I could figure out what went wrong. As it turned out the clutch push ring was sitting so one of the pins was sitting properly aligned to the holes in the driving plate and pushing on the clutch arms. But the other 2 weren't properly lined up and were actually sitting just to the side of the holes far enough to keep them from sliding in. Though it didn't seem I was putting much pressure on the bolts, the pressure of tightening 6 fine thread bolts one after the other was enough to make marks where the pins were hitting. And it broke the brake drum. So I'm going to have to break down and put the money into a new one. The hell of it is to send my core in and get a rebuilt back is going to cost over $300.00 and to buy a brand new part is over $600.00. And that's money I just don't have. So unless anyone has a transmission brake drum in decent shape that they're willing to sell at a decent price I'm sitting idle until I can get the money together to buy a replacement. I don't know for sure when that will be and I'm really becoming discouraged with this damn job.
Let's go.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #63
yachtsmanbill

You gotta be shikking me! Altho its probably no consolation, Ill bet there was some kind of crack started a long long time ago, AND tightening the six fine thread bolts in succession finally did the dirty. What a whizzer!
Im keeping an eyeball peeled for you for a spare now... Thats the 21 narrow brake band correct??? Last year I bought a trans drum set for $30 because I needed the low speed drum. It was cracked as well and I traded the 3 drums for a good LS drum. The guy that gottem drills the rivets out and uses the hubs on new drums.
If you can get Oso to order you a drum, you can do the same job. After riveting, youll need to spin the rivets flat on a lathe. Id also try Model T Haven Mark... ws

Picked up this 21 motor for trading parts for $100. Probably made $200 cash plus some trades. Search craigslist... lots of T stuff up your way

http://modelthaven.com/index.html

Send Mark an email. He gets back FAST!!
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM   #64
[email protected]

Wee Hawwwww. Our good friend farmallcub49 of Oso Handy Restorations just called me as I was finishing up my last post and said he had already found me a replacement brake drum and that he'd bring it to our Great Northern Model T Club meeting tomorrow. I can't begin to say how great that makes me feel.

It's this type of thing that becomes a testament for the benefits of belonging to a local club. I've already become aware that Model T owners are a special type of person. They travel at a little more comfortable pace and I think that eliminates a lot of the anxiety that other people feel and display on a daily basis. And it's that ability to make sure cooler heads prevail in moments of anxiety that makes them nicer people in the long run. Though I've always been anxious and a lot of times I become too emotionally involved when things don't go according to plans, I only need to bring up what's going on to one of my model t friends and it seems the issues iron themselves out in a matter of seconds.

And I'd also like to speak to the fact that there are a lot of other benefits to belonging to a local club. First and foremost is the friendships that are forged between people who have a common interest. Second is the amount of knowledge and resources that become available through the club. Third is the social activities that give me, a single person, the opportunities to go once a month and be with other club members. The meetings are fun and the food is always excellent. Fourth are the opportunities to take our model ts out as a group and see the world at that slower pace that seems so welcome when everything else in life moves so fast and can be so hectic. A person sees a lot of country at 65 mph but gets to see the details much better at 30 mph. And 5th is the acceptance and interest that is shown by non-model t owners. There's nothing in the world like talking to people about our hobby and explaining how we drive something with 3 pedals, 2 levers on the steering column, 1 lever that comes through the floor, a knob that comes through the dash that adjusts the carburetor and a piece of wire that sticks through the firewall that we choke the engine with when were starting the vehicle. Couple all that with a crank, a fuel cutoff valve and a choke that also comes out of the front of the hood by the side of the radiator and you've got a vehicle that obviously takes talent and skill to operate and requires dedication to the model t hobby. Thank you Henry Ford.
Let's go.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #65
[email protected]

Taking a shower in a couple minutes and headed for meeting for Great Northern Model T Club. Today I'll watch a demonstration that shows how to apply babbit to a model t engine.
Let's go.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #66
[email protected]

Pretty good demonstration at the GNMTC meeting today. We ate some really good food too. Picked up the brake drum from Andy, and when I got home I went straight for the shop. Had to do some work to get the drum in shape but with a little bead blasting, pushing the bushings in from the broken drum into the new one and then cleaning the bushings up with a little flap sander and things started to come together. Then I hit a little snag. I just couldn't seem to get everything to work like I needed it too. When I put the thrust washers in and pressed the clutch hub on the whole works would lock up. A little investigatin' and I figured I didn't push the bushings in far enough. After pushing them down past the radius in the one end of the brake drum it all loosened up and I was on my way. Of course I still had to make a couple calls to Andy and ask my fair share of questions but he's patient and provided me with some good answers and a couple of hints and I got it finished up. So the next step is to get the magneto coils bolted on, bolt the transmission, oil pan and hogs head on. Then I get to start playing with the bands. At least this time when I put them in I'll have a clean tranny and no oil to mess with. Then it's a matter of a little work everyday until the cars put back together. The next couple weeks are going to be fun.
Let's go.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #67
[email protected]

Took the day off from wrenching today. That transmission is together and I had no desire to do any work in the shop. I didn't even take the '26 out for a ride, and the weather is really nice here this afternoon. So the warning is out for Andy. Within the next day or so I'm going to get ahold of you to determine a time when I can come down to the shop and put the magneto coils on. I really don't want to have to drive my sedan on our first tour unless it's raining.
Let's go.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #68
[email protected]

Well I took the generator apart and found a broken brush holder so now I'm waiting until I get over to Oso's to get some replacement parts. After I did that I had to run into town and get some dog food for Lacey and Poncho. While I was coming back Andy called and brought up the need for a lifting device to hand the flywheel and transmission. So I stopped at the hardware store and bought, well, a bunch of hardware. And put together a device for hanging the transmission from. Check out the photos.
The first photo shows my hanging device.
The second show it on the cherry picker
The third shows the broken brush holder from the generator
The last photo I'm showing off my engine lift my engine stand and my 2 1/2 ton air jack and my tool boxes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1390.jpg (53.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1388.jpg (51.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1397.jpg (40.5 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1394.jpg (68.4 KB, 11 views)
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-23-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #69
Farmallcub49

Mike,

That is no Model T Generator brush holder like I have ever seen.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #70
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmallcub49 View Post
Mike,

That is no Model T Generator brush holder like I have ever seen.
Thats odd. Because the generator came off my model t. And the front plate has the right 3 holes on it and it's gear driven and while it was on my T it put out 10.5 to 11 volts but it was intermittent because of this broke, adjustable brush holder. That almost makes it seem like a model t generator to me.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-24-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #71
[email protected]

With the transmission on and the engine sitting level I've got .042 on the top and .028 on the bottom and both sides even at .035. So I'm going to finish this can of coke, choke down some Oreo's go back out and lift the transmission again and take .005 shim out of the top 2 bolts. That will get me closer. I just hope it's enough. It's a beautiful day in the shop. Both doors are open and the sun is shining, it's about 48 degrees outside but I've got a heavy sweatshirt on and to me it feels perfect. I have to admit though. There's one thing that always has to be done when working on old fords. I've had to do it in the past all the way back to when I was about 10 years old and the old man would make me go under that old '45 Ford truck. I always had the job of wiring the damn bolts together. He always said my fingers were smaller and I could get it in there better. Well now I'm 62 years old and my hands are bigger than his ever were and I'm still putting that damn wire in the bolts. I think he just stuck me under that truck so him and mom could, well let's just say there were times when they sure seemed to get along a lot better. So by the end of today my goal is to have the trans permanently mounted for the last time and the gap will be correct on the magneto. And I'm gonna be looking for a gasket set. Now I gotta go rip the transmission back off that engine again. -Mike
Let's go.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #72
yachtsmanbill

Are you talking about hibbity-jibbity OR humpity-bumpity?? ws
Old 04-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #73
[email protected]

Quote:
Are you talking about hibbity-jibbity OR humpity-bumpity?? ws
Yes and bibbity bobbity boo. And every once in awhile Pa'd come out the house laughing like Popeye. Ukyukyukyukyuk and then skeet bop beelieop be bum de bo!!!! That's when I'd kind of throw up in my mouth just a little bit. To think what that creepy old bustard had just done made me sick.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-26-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #74
[email protected]

I had the transmission at .030" on the top and .028" on the bottom. So I figured the difference was exactly where I wanted it but thought I could straighten it just a little more so I put a .001" shim in the top. And now for some reason I've lost everything. It changed to .016 on the top and .032 on the bottom. I have no idea what the hell happened but I tired from a whole day of it and have quit for the night. I'll go back out in the morning and start over again. Now it's 11:30 at night and I'm hungry. So I'm going to fix myself some supper and watch a little "Swamp People" on the history channel and then take my meds and go to bed. The only thing I can think of that could have happened with the magneto is I got something under the coils somewhere and it's got something tilted. It's a good thing this is a hobby and I enjoy what I'm doing because I could easily start to dislike it. But when the going gets tough, smart people hire someone who knows what the hell they're doing. But stupid people just keep beating their head against the wall and my forehead is getting pretty scarred up.
Let's go.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #75
yachtsmanbill

Youre gonna find that the ring is a cast piece and not very true on the mounting face. I dikked with mine for 2 days before I settled for what I got! I think thats why they give you that .025 - .040 fudge factor... Ford mustve been from Mackinac Island LOL...

Fork gunman and his $400 seats... must have used gold thread on the seams. Id still get some sheepskin covers and be cool! Maybe even some zebra skin seat covers. My coupe had the trasditional Indian blankey for a cover. ws

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320805349446

SHOP TILL YA DROP !!!!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Seat-Covers-/33702/i.html

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 04-27-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #76
[email protected]

Took everything apart again this morning and started over. Not really having much fun. Gotta head back out in a minute. I cannot believe that it's impossible to even predict how much change a person can expect when adding or subtracting shims under the magneto coils. It seems like I really had things going my way last night and then I added two .001" shims and lost the whole damn thing. When I took it apart this morning I found out one of the bolts wasn't torqued as tight as the other. It was tight but felt a little lighter. So now I'm starting over.
Let's go.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #77
[email protected]

Well praise the Lord and pass the ammunition. I'm done with the magneto. The transmission is on and everything is tight. I've got .030" clearance on the bottom and .033" on the top. I'm happier than a pig in an acre of cracked corn and watermelon rinds. Now of course the next step is the oil pan and what the book refers to as the 4th main bearing. Then I guess the hogshead the bands and the pedals and then start putting it in the car. Yippety Skippety.
Let's go.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #78
yachtsmanbill

So now, when you putthe pan on you should turn the motor on end on the stand and put the pan on. It should go on kinda loose until you get the 4th main put on and positioned, then snug the pan bolts down, The 4th main should slide on and off and rest on the lip just behind the flange. Thats where all the sag stuff comes into play... ws
Old 04-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #79
[email protected]

Turn it on end Like I did to take the transmission on and off. I mean so the nose or front of the engine is toward the floor. Right? I'll tell you I'm honestly wore out from that damn thing. I used to set parts up on machine to mill and grind and I had to set those parts up so they were perpendicular and parallel to the axis of the machine. I also set them up on computer aided coordinate measuring machines and I learned then how to do what I did with this magneto. But I must of forgot everything I learned over the last 40 years because there really wasn't anything tough about this job but until I got my head out of my butt and realized what I was doing to myself I was pretty much screwed. Now I think I could do it in about 3 or 4 moves. And the theory behind it is to get the coil "plate" sitting level and square to the crank and the crank flange first at about .030" clearance and the rest is just moving the top and bottom in and out until you get it. The other thing to remember is that adding shims moves the two plates closer together. I'll bet half the moves I ended up having to do were because I put shims in when I should have been putting them in. But now it's done and I'll be really surprised if it doesn't work out ok. I still have to wire the flywheel plate bolts together and the bolts for the rear main. Then I'll start on the oil pan. Tonight I had to buy myself a beer. It's the first one I've had at home for a couple months. It was delicious. Now my son and granddaughters and worthless skanky girlfriend are just about here and I have to take my shower. Later, Mike
Let's go.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #80
yachtsmanbill

CORRECT! You want no sag on the fourth main so it stays on the same line as the other three. I did mine on the blocks as well and used my chain hoist to lift half the total weight and set #4. Its always worked for me, but with a rotating stand its a breeze... Now about that skanky girlfreind... pictures!! ws
Old 04-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #81
[email protected]

Quote:
CORRECT! You want no sag on the fourth main so it stays on the same line as the other three. I did mine on the blocks as well and used my chain hoist to lift half the total weight and set #4. Its always worked for me, but with a rotating stand its a breeze... Now about that skanky girlfreind... pictures!! ws
The skank didn't show up! I don't know why but I sure as hell don't miss her. I'd seriously as soon take a swift kick in the nuts as to have to look at that piece of ____. Oops, I hope I haven't offended anyone.
Let's go.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #82
fordman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Wee Hawwwww. Our good friend farmallcub49 of Oso Handy Restorations just called me as I was finishing up my last post and said he had already found me a replacement brake drum and that he'd bring it to our Great Northern Model T Club meeting tomorrow. I can't begin to say how great that makes me feel.

It's this type of thing that becomes a testament for the benefits of belonging to a local club. I've already become aware that Model T owners are a special type of person. They travel at a little more comfortable pace and I think that eliminates a lot of the anxiety that other people feel and display on a daily basis. And it's that ability to make sure cooler heads prevail in moments of anxiety that makes them nicer people in the long run. Though I've always been anxious and a lot of times I become too emotionally involved when things don't go according to plans, I only need to bring up what's going on to one of my model t friends and it seems the issues iron themselves out in a matter of seconds.

And I'd also like to speak to the fact that there are a lot of other benefits to belonging to a local club. First and foremost is the friendships that are forged between people who have a common interest. Second is the amount of knowledge and resources that become available through the club. Third is the social activities that give me, a single person, the opportunities to go once a month and be with other club members. The meetings are fun and the food is always excellent. Fourth are the opportunities to take our model ts out as a group and see the world at that slower pace that seems so welcome when everything else in life moves so fast and can be so hectic. A person sees a lot of country at 65 mph but gets to see the details much better at 30 mph. And 5th is the acceptance and interest that is shown by non-model t owners. There's nothing in the world like talking to people about our hobby and explaining how we drive something with 3 pedals, 2 levers on the steering column, 1 lever that comes through the floor, a knob that comes through the dash that adjusts the carburetor and a piece of wire that sticks through the firewall that we choke the engine with when were starting the vehicle. Couple all that with a crank, a fuel cutoff valve and a choke that also comes out of the front of the hood by the side of the radiator and you've got a vehicle that obviously takes talent and skill to operate and requires dedication to the model t hobby. Thank you Henry Ford.

Boy oh Boy,i wish i lived there.our club around here is dreadful...One guy rules the thing and if u dont suck up to him and jump when he tells u then u are screwd.The dude is a back stabbing louse.I dont know who likes him but his buddies.I should go in and bring in all my friends and drive him out.we need a good T club...maybe i should just start my owm...Mike,Bill.wanna be my first two members?
Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 PM   #83
[email protected]

Heck ya, I'll join your club. But you have to understand up until now the only thing I've been able to do for our club here is have one of the monthly get- togethers at my house. I haven't had the knowledge or parts to offer yet. I'm getting better at some of the mechanical stuff but still have a ways to go before I'm ready to offer my services to anyone just yet. So far I've worked on a lot of different projects and I'm gaining confidence in my work but I've got a long way to go before I'll volunteer my services to some unsuspecting victim. But ya, talk to your buddies that are sick of whoever the Nazi is you've got running club and strike out on your own. I've got to truthfully say, there might be a few guys in our club that could be like that but I don't know who they would be. We've got a lot of great guys in our club. I don't know what the other clubs in the state might be like but I've got my suspicions. There's a reason we have the Minnesota Nice reputation. But you have to understand, any of the resources we've got as a result of our club membership is available to anyone who looks for it. Bill has become well acquainted with our in-club supplier and one of our resident gurus. Truth is we've got a lot of other guys that have an awful lot of knowledge too. With my club membership, this forum and guys like Andy and Will there's not too much I'm not willing to try in my own. Geez, I think we must have 5 or more guys who rebuild coils. And they test them with stroboscopes and the old hand crank testers. So we can pretty much trust the quality of their work. Yep, membership has it's priveleges.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 04-28-2012 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #84
[email protected]

No work on model t's today. The grandkids are here and we're going to head for the mall in a little while. First their Dad's going over to fix my other son's dishwasher. My God if they were both 15 years younger I'd have something to worry about. It's kind of hard to believe it only took them 35 years before they quit making me scared for the fine citizens of this fair state.
Let's go.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #85
[email protected]

Well it's a cloudy, chilly day today. And I know I'll be happy to have a heater in the shop. Today is going to be a good day for putting the 4th main and the oil pan on. Maybe I'll even get to the hogshead before I'm done. I know I've got a problem in the fact I'm missing some pan bolts and possible one of the nuts too. I lost the bolts that hold the magneto coil on and ended up having to grind and drill some of the pan bolts to be able to do the job. So I'll either have to go to "Handymans Hardware" or see if Andy can help me out. Handymans is closer. But first I gotta go get Poncho and his buddy Patches and bring them over for the day. I'll check back tonight.
Let's go.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 PM   #86
[email protected]

Didn't get a GD thing done in the shop today. I can't afford to have too many more like it. i didn't have sense enough to oil soak the rope seals for the front of the crank like I was supposed to and I can't put the pan and the timing cover on until I soak them overnight. So i put them in oil and I worked at trying to get a generator put together for the '26 Tudor. That ended up being a failure because I couldn't find some of the screws and I didn't know if the generator was any good or not so I took the gear off and used what was there to plug the hole that was left where I had taken a different junk generator out. Then I fired it up and went for about a 2 hour drive around here. Then came back, ate half a pizza and drank a couple bottles of Michelob and now I'm ready for bed. Tomorrow's another day.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:07 AM   #87
yachtsmanbill

Ya know theres a big difference between loose screws and losing them, right?? Wheres all those fasteners going? Are you sure yer not in the Twilight Zone??? I may hafta send to a coffee can full for a birthday present! ws
Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #88
[email protected]

Will, in a month I'm going to be 62 years old. I've waited for it for about the last 47 years. And now it feels like nothing more than a sad time in my life. Most people reach these sunshine years and rejoice. I hang my head and feel severe fatigue, stress and a great sense of loss. I wake up every morning, sit on the edge of the bed and stare at the floor and the sadness wells up inside me. All joy in my life is gone. And I've found the greatest cause for this despair is that I can't find the GD bolts. So leave it alone. It's not fun or funny to have to always wonder how much worse the senility and dementia is going to get before "He" comes to get me.

On a lighter note I was able to get the front timing cover all the way on with the timer rotor on the end of the camshaft and the front pulley on the front of the crankshaft before I realized I hadn't put a gasket under the f'ing cover. Right now I'm so pissed off I could squeeze a grape with one hand.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #89
yachtsmanbill

At 77, old Walt from across the street comes over and tells me his doctor has diagnosed him with the onset of Alzheimers. He's kinda bummed out about that. Actually I dont see it; he's pretty astute yet! My aunt found my 99 year old grandmother DOA standing at the bathroom sink washing up in the morning with the water running. Thats the way I wanna go. She was getting dressed to drive herself to church. Im <57 and my old man drowned at 58... I see him in me all the time and wonder if he was hurting as much. He never bitched about it tho... The coffee can of screws is on the house by the way! I can spend 3 hours looking for a part, see something else and go work on that and then later on see the missing part right where I looked/left it the day before... Yer not alone pal! ws
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #90
[email protected]

And now I'm in the garage and the shit is hitting the fan. Lightning, thunder, rain, hail, wind and toronado's. Oh wait, I guess they mean tornados. It sounds like Andy is really catching hell. If this pissin hail dents my truck me and somebodies gonna have to have a talk.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #91
[email protected]

Shit now it's coming in the garage door. I'm gonna go eat supper. To hell with it.
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #92
[email protected]

Before I left the garage I set the oil pan on and snugged it down with a couple bolts . Then I stood it on end and set the 4th main on and the bolt holes lined up dead on with good clearance around it. So I'm probably going to have to quit for the day. When I work for to long on the thing my arms start to get really sore. I think I'm dealing with some arthritis in my shoulders and elbows. That and the fact I'm old and fat and out of shape pretty much limits my time I can spend on things. At any rate I'm hoping to set the hogshead on tomorrow and get the bands and pedals all set up. I'd really like to have the engine sitting in the body by Friday and spend this weekend finishing things up. I took the sedan over to the hardware store today to get some RTV. I think the lady there was trying to make friends with me. I'm not sure but lately when I go in there she always makes sure she helps me before anyone else can. ??? At any rate Things are looking up a little around here. However I can't get rid of the feeling I forgot to do something before I set the oil pan on.
Let's go.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #93
yachtsmanbill

Take her for a spin in the chick magnet... MILF magnet? COUGAR COUPE??? Tell her its got the biggest back seat she'll ever see, just get a tetanus shot first... the other shots come later LOL !! Go on... ask her out! She'll probably get a discount on small screws and such... ws (sorry pal, its my turn!)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM   #94
[email protected]

And all of a sudden it all makes sense. I think she's my neighbor. Well not next door but she lives in the park. If it's who I think it is I've met her husband. They bought the house one street over. I kind of feel sorry for them because they bought a house that a bunch of lowlifes cooked meth in up until last spring. That's when the cops came in and shut their operation down. All the furniture was taken out of the house and thrown out in the front yard and sat there until last fall. Then it went on the market. The same carpeting and sheetrock and insulation all the other innards that were there when they busted them. Shouldn't that stuff be cleaned out of there. The morons were cooking meth in there for over a year. It's really to bad they didn't burn the place down with them in it. But there were kids in there and they would have either died or lost the only parents they knew. Pretty sad deal because I guess the kids are under someone elses care now anyway. At any rate now I feel sorry for the new people. And I didn't know she works at the Hdwe store. Anyway she's no one I'd be interested in. Besides I've got absolutely no need for a woman in my life. When it get's to the point I need a woman in my life for a little while it's a short drive into St Cloud to rent one.

I guess a week from today they're going to try to get a bunch of old cars from the teens and twenties together to go up to a campground in town to show off. I'm going to drive my sedan. If anybody asks I'll just tell them it was a rat rod before anyone knew what a rat rod was. It's hard to believe there's such a thing as a 1940's rat rod. Really I'm just hoping it'll make the trip without breaking down. I've never had it more than 5 miles from the house. Last night however I drove it nonstop around here on the backroads for over an hour. I'll just remember to throw a toolbox, jack and some antifreeze in the back seat.
Let's go.
Old 05-02-2012, 02:12 PM   #95
[email protected]

So far today has been spent mowing lawn, trimming around everything and now I'm going out to work on spraying some roundup on some weeds around the house and then I've got a couple of rings out in front of the house that I need to work up and then plant some herb, I mean flowers in them. I wish I had the engine done so I could go shooting today. I'm going out later this afternoon and work on the engine again.
Let's go.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #96
yachtsmanbill

Cant wait to see the pics of the flowers (tops!). Go with fish emulsion!! ws
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #97
[email protected]

Naw, I'm not to exotic with growing stuff. If they can't make it with potting soil and miracle grow then I'll just go ahead and let the weeds have it. At any rate I planted a bunch of marigolds.

Here's a little story about marigolds. 4 years ago my wifes sister hosted the entire Southern Minnesota diocese. Every year they ask one of the farms to host the diocese and everybody and their brother shows up including every priest and nun and the bishop. As part of the decorations she planted a large flower garden out where they were going to put the haywagons that would hold the altar. My sister in law also wanted to put a large stained glass cross about 5 feet tall and 3 feet across. She had designed it herself and asked me to build. Once it was done she had her son build a mahogany frame to go around it. I probably put 60 hours into the glass. At any rate the fall before she went out and picked the seeds off of a bunch of marigolds that her grandmother grew. She had about 500 little baggies with seeds and while the bishop was there she asked him to bless the flower garden, the cross, and the seed packets and then passed them out after the mass. So now it's become a big thing in our family to grow marigolds from the blessed seeds and the idea is in the fall pick the seeds from last years plants to plant the next year because the blessing will be there every year.
Let's go.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #98
yachtsmanbill

Thats kinda like becoming that old guy in Rome that wears the funny hats aint it??? Marigolds are pretty hearty in the northlands eh??? ws
Old 05-03-2012, 06:40 AM   #99
[email protected]

Yeah, they do pretty good. So today I don't figure I got a choice but to go out in the shop and do sumtin wit dat motor. Maybe it's time for some photos. At some point over the next couple days I'm going to have to take time out to go get a hair cut. Oh what the hell I think I'll get a whole bunch of them cut. I'll be back later.
Let's go.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #100
[email protected]

FYI, always a good show and swap meet because it's the first outside show of the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg car show.jpg (20.0 KB, 11 views)
Let's go.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #101
[email protected]

You can bother me if it's necessary but please keep in mind; I'm in the shop.
Let's go.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #102
Jack Innes

Mike,

Yesterday I ended up installing a trailer hitch for friends who had come to the "we can't get there from here" point.

The problem was fishing 8 bolts out through holes in the boxed frame.
After the unthinkable act of reading the instructions I found mention of fish wires?? In the bottom of the box were a pair of wires as shown in the picture below. I may be uninformed but I have not seen these before but they work unbelievably well! Just fish the wire through then screw the bolt into it, the wire fits the thread so that the diameter does not increase, then you can easily feed the bolt in where you need it.

I immmediately thought of the rear T motor mount bolts that have been the root of profanities not formerly known in any language.

You are very close to needing these & I bet if you found a place that installs trailer hitches you may find them.

Maybe someone else knows of a legitimate source.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bolt fish wire.jpg (1.7 KB, 94 views)
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #103
[email protected]

Well, so far everything has turned to sh_t today. I'm getting frustrated like you wouldn't believe. Now I've got to make a two hour trip into town to get a drill press. I hate this job.
Let's go.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #104
[email protected]

Thanks Jack. Great idea. I'll look for them at a place in town that builds trailers. I think one of our steel suppliers might have them. They sell trailer parts.
Let's go.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #105
[email protected]

She's all together except for the starter. I'm going to put that on the engine before I slip it into the car. I figure it'll be easier that way rather than try to do it when it's in the car. hardest part of the job today was putting the hogshead on and being comfortable it's not going to have oil running out of it later. The easiest was putting the bands in and hooking them up. I'll have to adjust them a little once everything is in. I'm really concerned about what happened to all those 3/8-24 bolts and castle nuts. I ended up going to the hardware store to get bolts. Now I did have a little bit of a happenstance that was a little on the strange side. I was working on bolting down the hogshead and a plastic mechanical pencil fell out of my pocket and down into the bottom of the pan. I couldn't get it to come out no mater what I tried. I even tried putting tape on the end of a wire but the pencil was so full of oil the tape wouldn't stick to it. I was about to start tearing things back down and then thought I'd try to hook it somehow with a wire and get it up far enough to grab it with needle nose pliers. I'd already put an hour into that pencil and the frustration and put me over the edge. But somehow through some kind of divine intervention ( I know that's what it was because I'd been talking to God for about 45 minutes ) I hooked the plastic clip on the plastic pencil and pulled it right out. And then I went into the house and dried my eyes and blew my nose and finely slowed down to a sort of a low wimper. Then I was ready to go back out and finish working on the motor. I also treated myself to a new purchase today and bought myself a small drill press because I deserved it. The dogs name is Lacey. I think the one thing that really bugs me about this job is that I'm going to be doing it next spring with the Sedan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1318.jpg (60.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bands are in place.jpg (83.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Bands hooked up.jpg (82.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg New drill press.jpg (67.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg The culprit pencil.jpg (53.6 KB, 14 views)
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-04-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #106
yachtsmanbill

Mike Garrison is taking the day off.... editor
Old 05-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #107
[email protected]

Really I don't want to but 9 hours in the shop yesterday took it's toll. I'm not as sore as I thought I would be but I'm about as fatigued as a guy can be. Maybe I'll eat a little lunch, burger samich, and a cof o' cuppee and a couple cookies, then see how I feel about it. I'd like to get the starter on the motor and get it sitting down in the frame. I just called my buddy up nort' in Grand Rapids MN to see what he's got in his inventory for either a 22 or 357 in revolver. Taurus is making a revolver with a changeable cylinder so you can go from 22 LR to 22 magnum in about 2 seconds.
Let's go.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #108
yachtsmanbill

We went to the city wide garage sale in Denmark, Wi. this morning ... 200+ garage sales with 175+ garages full of pink baby clothes; then I looked up one street and saw Mecca! This guy had this one for 18 years and want 10.5K its nice but it aint a T. In the garage was a Fordson small tool box a bit beat up with T period tools all over but nothing script. There was a band riveter for $4.00 I shouldve taken. It was a "Tom Thumb" model much like a REX or TIGER brand... bench mounted.
The3 next door neighbor had a Jim Dandy, Belgian 12Ga. double hammer breech loader side by side. I think the maker was like Stute/Jorgensen. Damasus barrel that you had to pull the hand stock off of to see the twist by the makers marks. The twist was that fine! It was about as ornate as the W.Chance model but this one was kind of a shooter. 2-3/4" black powder loads. 1894 date and a nice smooth brown patina. Pretty nice in all but also $425.00 Let me know if you want it! I may go back tomorrow for that rivet tool.

Nice 1929 Tudor for 10.5K ... Nice, but not a T. You shoulda seen all the Walmartians out from GreenBay... OY!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:12 PM   #109
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Quote:
Nice 1929 Tudor for 10.5K ... Nice, but not a T. You shoulda seen all the Walmartians out from GreenBay... OY!

I hope you don't mind kind sir, but I'm going to start using that term down here in FL. The most perfect description of Wal-Fart customers, and it's only one word!

/thread drift
Old 05-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #110
[email protected]

If he'll let it go for $300.00, I'll take it. And I'll give you $50.00 for a finders fee. Finders fee to be paid only if you get it for me. That way I'll still have enough money left over to drive out to pick it up. If he goes for it give me a call. I've also got a deal going on a Luger 9mm. As you know I like the old shotguns. But I like the handguns too. Not so much for any long guns after Dec 31,1899 unless it's a particular M1 garand. And I seriously don't know why I'd want that particular Garand other than the fact it's in "never been fired" condition. I really believe that rifle would go fast at around $1500.00 or more because of the beautiful wood and the rebarrel on it. It would be a real candidate for custom engraving and carving. The "A" looks nice but I believe the last thing in the world I'd want is a Ford Model A. I can't believe Henry took a step like that back from the Model T. Haha.
Let's go.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #111
[email protected]

I put the crank, coolant inlet, starter and starter cover on the engine today. It's hanging on the cherry picker and waiting to go into the body on Wednesday when my son can come over and help me set it in place. Tomorrow is going to be spent getting the sedan ready to go on a short run on Tuesday. About 6 or 7 of us are getting together and driving down to visit some campers at a campground on the East side of St Cloud. So I'll be changing oil, tightening the band for the brake, working on getting my one rattling back window up tight into the channel so it won't be so loud, and then see if I can get the horn to work again. It died last fall and hasn't worked since. I'm really quite excited to have both my Model Ts together for a change. It won't be this way for very long and, barring any more problems with the touring, I'll start improving the sedan.
Let's go.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:13 AM   #112
[email protected]

The '26 is washed up (including the windows) and it's ready to go on today's tour. It's starting and running better than it ever has. I'm having a little trouble with the switch. I was up until 12:30 last night getting it going. I adjusted the bands, put in rebuilt coils, put in a new timer wiring harness, a new timer, and a new set of plug wires. I really hope I don't have any problems on today's trip. This old car is pretty rough and definitely an 86 year old survivor. It's still got the black paint that was put on it back in the '50's, brush stokes and all. The seats are just nasty and fugly. I put a wool blanket over them to hide some of the bad. So wish me luck. I'm going to take my shower and get ready to go. Ya'll have a good day.
Let's go.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #113
[email protected]

Well yesterday was an absolutely great time. The '26 ran good and never missed a beat. I drove it south of here about 15 miles to a campground with 3 other cars and had a mini car show for the people who were there. There were a lot of questions and some great conversation. I thought my '26 was ugly enough I better park it off to the side. But I no sooner had it parked and people were gathering around with questions and a few of their own answers. Some of their answers were interesting and made me smile politely and of course I agreed when they said the obligatory "ain't that right". I've seen videos of Model Ts going through some deep snow but I have a problem when I hear about the drifts being so deep it was up to the bottom of the windows and they were actually pushing snow with the radiator. "And nothing could stop that GD T". Another guy was using his roadster to skid logs through the mud. It wasn't built up with a trak-t kit like they sell at Monkey Wards and places like that either. Just regular old 26 inch tires on it. Those T's had traction and would go through the muskeg or mud or anything. Skidding logs! I got so far into it I darn near told them mine could fly but then I figured some of them might have seen chitty chitty bang bang and they'd actually be telling me it was true. I'm glad Dick Van Dyke wasn't there.

Ok, enough of that. Today started off slow because I was really tired because of yesterday's fun. But I did muster up enough ambition to go out and set the engine into the frame of the '21. It was interesting getting the driveshaft square to slide into the back of the transmission but a little cussing and a couple cut fingers and I heard "clunk" and the whole motor and transmission slid back and into place. That was good for a little dance and some excitement. But not to much, I live in a trailer park where I'm the youngest old fart in the place. The rest of the day was spent working on the switch and magneto wiring on the '26. And that was another adventure that's all ready been described in another thread on this website. So I'm getting excited to have my Sedan for touring on cloudy days and my Touring Car for touring on sunny days. It's the best of both worlds. Of course if I was logging I'd need a roadster.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1435.jpg (62.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1436.jpg (67.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1437.jpg (62.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1438.jpg (67.9 KB, 12 views)
Let's go.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:02 AM   #114
yachtsmanbill

Now its my turn to be impressed! Glad to see youre making progress now.... Its early, so Ill be brief but, there a great debate about using a gasket between the ball cap ( #4 main) and the ball COVER that holds the ball INTO the #4. Believe it or not, that extra 1/16 can cause a clunk when driving... I used the ball cap to hogshead gasket (necessary) and used some sealant on the back one just to jerk the judges chains'! Especially with older and worn parts the gap is somewhat of a concern. Something to think about before it gets totally buttoned up! ws
Old 05-11-2012, 09:42 AM   #115
[email protected]

Your hitting on something I was concerning myself with and talked to Andy about last night. It was pretty cool to see you brought it up. I "was" going to leave the gasket in because though it's an old gasket that someone put in years ago I thought what the heck it's better than nothing. Well it's going to be nothing. The gasket's coming out and a thin coat of RTV is going in. I also got a kick from your remark that I'm finally making progress now. To me I've been making progress all along because it's so nice to have the '26 running so good. When a person's got 2 cars it's easy to get buried with work. But now my focus can be on the '21. I'm 'cited to get it going. Now I'm thinking that when I get the bows and the top on the touring and the seats re-upholstered it'll be a lot more pleasurable to tour with. I'll also continue to make improvements on the sedan but for now the touring will get most of my attention.
Let's go.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:50 PM   #116
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Mike,

Yesterday I ended up installing a trailer hitch for friends who had come to the "we can't get there from here" point.

The problem was fishing 8 bolts out through holes in the boxed frame.
After the unthinkable act of reading the instructions I found mention of fish wires?? In the bottom of the box were a pair of wires as shown in the picture below. I may be uninformed but I have not seen these before but they work unbelievably well! Just fish the wire through then screw the bolt into it, the wire fits the thread so that the diameter does not increase, then you can easily feed the bolt in where you need it.

I immmediately thought of the rear T motor mount bolts that have been the root of profanities not formerly known in any language.

You are very close to needing these & I bet if you found a place that installs trailer hitches you may find them.

Maybe someone else knows of a legitimate source.
Jack, I'm working on a 3 door touring car and the drivers side rear motor mount looked to me like it was going to by pretty tough. But I adapted your fishing wire adapter into a method that seemed really close in theory and worked really good. I simpley wound a top "E" guitar string tightly into the thread and put some electrical tape around it. Then it was just a matter of pulling the bolts up through the hole and holding them in place while I started the nut. So thank you for the suggestion. It worked really great.
Let's go.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #117
yachtsmanbill

GEEZ!! I forgot that was a 3 door! Ya hafta lift the body to do a band job? ws
Old 05-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #118
[email protected]

Quote:
GEEZ!! I forgot that was a 3 door! Ya hafta lift the body to do a band job? ws
No, everything can be done through the right side door but it gets awful tight around the shoulders. Everything about a Model T is tough for a big guy. I don't need to jack up the touring to get under it on the creeper but the '26 is a different story. I'm able to get around that though. I've got a 2 1/2 ton air jack that will lift it about 32" off the floor. That helps alot. Speaking of the '26, I don't know if a Model T could run and drive any better than that old car. It starts really great and runs like a champ. I'm putting about 35 volts out of the magneto and with the new coils it's just great. I'm seriously considering using it for touring this next weekend and not force myself to depend on the touring so soon after finishing the transmission/magneto rebuild. That gives me a little time to run the thing a little bit before I use it. A kind of transmission break-in. Besides if I put all my bets on the touring and end up with a heck of an oil leak around that hogshead it'll be nice to know I can depend on the sedan.

OK, I'm going to make a confession. My brother lives about 170 miles north of here. I'm thinking, if the upcoming tour works out ok with the sedan and I'm comfortable doing it , I'm going to figure out a back road route up to my brothers house and spend a few days. Now understand this is speculation but I truly think I'd be able to do it without problems. I am of course going to lube everything, grease the wheel bearings and oil the steering wheel. Change the air in the tires and rotate the exhaust hangers. Torque the radiator cap, clean out the bumper sumps and twist the fritz pins on the axle shifters. And I think I'll be ok giving it a shot.

The one thing I figure might be the weak link is the old radiator and the water pump. I don't care for water pumps on Model T's and this one has already presented some issues around the packing nut. But I'll bring along a couple spare parts and some tools and a little food because I could get stranded in a blizzard (after all this is Northern Mintersoda). And of course some drinking water. I really think it'll work. I'll keep you informed.

One last thing I'm looking forward to is putting the bows and the top on my touring car. I've got some rebuilding to do on the bows but the top is brand new in the box. I'd also like to put new padding into the seats on the touring. The covers on the seats are excellent but there's no batting or support left. It's kinda like sitting on a board. Then I'll be able to start doing the extra stuff with it like a spare tire carrier. Mounting my T toolbox on the running board. Replace the glass in the windshield with safety glass and yadda, yadda, yadda. -Mike
Let's go.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #119
[email protected]

No work on the T today. Pretty severe back spasms. The most I've been able to do so far is run into town to get a tire changed for the truck, then get home and put it on. The thing with the T is that I've got only one good days work and I could get it done but with my back like it is I'm having trouble walking. If it doesn't settle down by tomorrow I'll go into the urgent care clinic at the hospital and see if they can help me with it.
Let's go.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #120
[email protected]

Tonight I didn't work on the '21 but I did take the '26 for a ride. Took Lacey the dog with me. She usually likes riding in the touring. She stands on the seat and looks around the windshield and at 30 mph she's in her glory. But she's not as crazy about the sedan. She has to be bribed with milk bones to get her in there. But once she's in and realizes she's gonna be ok she settles down and has a pretty good time. Tomorrow I might skip out on the touring again. I want to pack wheel bearings on the front of the sedan and get the horn working. No matter how bad of a day I'm having it all goes away when I'm driving my T. I'm pretty excited for the tour this coming Saturday. It'll be a trip to make sure the car is roadworthy enough to make another 170 mile trip up to my brothers house in Northern Minnesota.
Let's go.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #121
[email protected]

Last week I changed oil on the '26. Without any idea of the history of the vehicle and not knowing what's been used in the past I went ahead and put in a multi-grade detergent oil. Now tomorrow I'm going to dump out what I put in after putting a couple hundred miles on it. It'll be interesting to see what the drain oil looks like. My plans are to drain the 10-30 and dump in straight 30 wt detergent.

I pulled the wheel bearings out of the front end of the '26 and put in new seals and repacked the bearings. There's nothing like a good day of playing in 30 year old bearing grease. Mmmmmm. I also dumped some oil in the oilers on the front end and packed some grease in the grease cups on the rearend. Tomorrow after changing oil I'm going check the alignment. I'm pretty sure from just standing and looking at it I've got some pretty severe "toe-out" problems. I'll have to have my son hold one end of the tape when I check it. Then I'll adjust to 3/16"-1/4 inch toe-in and take a look at the 5 1/2 degree angle on the axles. I'm hoping the camber will be ok. I'll have to see how it handles. Tonight it went into a death rattle 4 or 5 times. Usually at a low speed and after hitting a hole in the road to get things starting to shake. Everything on the frontend checks out nice and tight. the kingpins, tie-rods and wheel bearings check good. So I think all it'll take is a good look at the alignment. I figure when you can look at the frontend of the vehicle and it looks slough-footed you've got an issue.

It's getting to where everyday reveals something new on this old beast. I think it found out I'm willing to ignore the '21 in order to work on it and it likes the attention.
Let's go.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:28 AM   #122
yachtsmanbill

By all means check the toe in, but cut to the chase on the caster. You have a worn wishbone socket. Its easist checked with two people. Climb underneath and put yer finger at the juncture of the two. Have you helper take a (preferably 2) 24 inch pipe wrenches on the front axle, and lift up and down for you to feel the play.
If theres a spring loaded APCO cap on there get rid of it, or at least the springs. Tighten it down so theres zero lash. If you cant make zero, add a dished out penny or a dime and try again. THAT is where the death wobble comes from...
Dont forget to grease the U joint and a dab on the high speed cam AND oil all the brake lever stuff INCLUDING the anti rattlers on the rear radius rods. Makes it smoove... ws
Old 05-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #123
[email protected]

Well today was another day in the shop. I pulled the wishbone ball out of it's socket after finding there was a little play in it. I put a .015" shim in it and it took care of some of the death rattle. I thought I had it fixed until I drove it quite a ways and all of a sudden the shake was back. So I drove it home and swore and cussed and kicked the neighbors dog. Then I got under and pulled it apart again. All the time I was pulling it apart all I could hear was that damn dog wimpering so I yelled at it to shutup and then I kicked it again. That kind of worked because the neighbor saw me kick it and came out and got it and put it in the house. So I took the cap into the shop and realized the hole faced surface of it was washed out. So I put it on the belt grinder and flattened it out then cleaned it up with a file. Then I took another larger piece of .015" shimstock and folded it over to get .030". I hammered that into a cupped piece and tightened it into the ball socket after greasing it up real gude. Then I went for another drive. It performed flawlessly. I was so happy. And then I got home and went to pull into the driveway and sure as hell, when I hit the bump at the end of the driveway it started to wobble again. But it only did it at a really slow speed and only a couple times and it settled right down. It strikes me as a bit odd that the thing only goes into the death rattle at slow speeds. So after parking it I got out and checked the wishbones and the socket was still solid as a rock. So I started looking at other things. I grabbed a frontwheel and started to yank it back and forth. I could feel a clunk in it and kept watching as I was doing it. Finally I noticed that the slop was in the tie-rod ends. It's almost imperceptible but it's definitely there. So now it's time for me to ask a question. What's more likely worn, the tie-rod end or the spindle socket? Is it possible to shim the tie-rod or should it be replaced (replacement seems most likely to me to be the right answer). I really hate putting any more work or money into this car than I have to until next winter. But I also want to drive this thing this winter and I want it to be safe. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On a happier note I put the horn back on today and it works really good with the original stock horn button. So I took it for a run past my neighbors place who has a couple really nice T's and laid on the horn as I went by. I know he appreciated that. So, unless there's something I can do to correct those tie-rods by tomorrow afternoon, I'm only going to worry about getting things cleaned up tomorrow for Saturdays tour. I'm really 'cited for the tour. What kind of cookies and chips and salsa am I going to buy at the grocery store tomorrow for the potluck on Saturday? Hmmmm. But for now it's time for a couple pieces of toast and a glass of milk and go to bed. G'night y'all.
Let's go.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #124
yachtsmanbill

First of all, are you talking tie rod or drag link?? As we talked about the other day. the balls rarely get lubed LOL and the tie rods usually get oil when the kingpins do. Fords balls are as loose as the boys after a hot shower. I shimmed both the pitman end and the spindle end on mine.
I make shims from brass washers. Make them dish shaped by putting them on to the end of a piece of pipe and insert a tapered puch and givvem a smack. re-assemble with some grease. The faces should pull together 100% . I had Pat click the wheel back and forth with her thumb and fore finger near the center and I could barely feel any slop. About all I could really discern was the sound of sticky grease smacking inside the cups. Mine could probably use another .015" to make them zero.
If the toe in still needs setting, itll be easier to remove the rod to free up the adjuster, at which time youd service the 2 bushings AND your balls. The tie rod bushings are a bear to change while on the car. They are hard as hell and titer than heck and the arms will bounce a lot without being in a vise. If youve got a gas ax, scarf a slot in each one and theyll come right out. Clean the holes really good and squeeze new ones in with a C clamp or a stud with two nuts. Thats a lot of sexual metaphors for being this early aint it?
BTW... I passed my test yesterday (among other things LOL) with flying colors... ws
Old 05-17-2012, 07:38 AM   #125
[email protected]

Glad to hear about passing your test. Now we all know you're a perfect as..... .

So what you're saying is the tie-rods can't be help unless replaced.

My old man always use to talk about shimming tie-rods. I've messed with them very little. I put new ones in the '38 when I rebuilt that but then that was a total front end rebuild. By the time I got done with it all that was left was a little alignment and it was ready to go.

The alignment on the '26 seems really good at 1/4 inch toe-in and the front axle is kicked back on the top from the bottom about 6 to 6 1/2 degrees. The kingpins are very tight and now the wishbone socket is too. As I said yesterday the draglink/idler arm assembly is tight as is the other end of the tie-rod. So today I'm going to double check the draglink/idler arm hook-up again. By the time I'm done if the death wobble isn't gone I'm going to have to live with it. It's very hard to even feel it now unless your paying attention.

This poor old car is worn out and I'll be surprised if it makes it through the summer without a pretty major issue somewhere along the way. I'm doing what I can to prevent trouble now but the old bugger is 86 years old and hasn't been maintained very well since the 2nd world war. I'm kind of surprised it avoided the crusher then.

So now I've got a question. Is it true that the only guy that's more of an idiot than Ted Nugent is Dog The Bounty Hunter?
Let's go.

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-17-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #126
yachtsmanbill

Amboy Dukes kick booty! Dog just plain sucks IMHO.... Thats about 27 steps below COPs or that other new time waster about cops setting up cars to be stolen... entrapment comes to mind.
Personally Id like to give dog a head to toe body shave with some chinese duct tape. That guy makes me wanna barf ws
Old 05-17-2012, 09:25 AM   #127
yachtsmanbill

Just had to go finish up some Extra Credit for the semester finals! Whew!!

The whole suspension on the Ts is done with steel shackles in steel bushings... Poor oiling habits makes for worn parts. 85 years is the death cull.
The tie rods are in bushings. The tie rod bolt threads into the bottom with a lock nut and a cotter pin. Get the nut off and unscrew the bolt and theres the bushing. You van buy them cheap or replace the bushing and the bolt for peace of mine. Those bushings are the ones that are a bear to change but wear the most.
The other issue is spring shackles... same game. The exspurts across the hall say take a new bushing and a stud and merely press the new one in pushing the old one out. Ive done at least 80 of them and never had one come out like that. On the Pollinator there was one that needed to be scarfed out with the torch.
Take a close look at the spring center bolt and cross member around the front motor mount for crack while yer showing elbows and buttocks! All that stuff takes a beating from hot rusty water coming out of the overflow tube! ws

New bushings are bronze

After a day of bustin' knuckles i scarfed this one out with the torch...
Old 05-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #128
[email protected]

Front end is really doing good now. The death wobble is all gone and it drives like a dream. I shimmed the tie-rod bolts. .016" on the drivers side and .006" on the other side. Everything else on the front end is in good shape. Shackles and shackle bushings are good, front spring mount is good. Idler arm ball is lubed and tight, wishbone socket and ball is tight. I just drove the vehicle around different roads in the area for about an hour and a half. I purposely tried to get it to go into the death wobble and couldn't do it. The motor runs excellent, the transmission makes the same noises it always did, the muffler is shot and sounds exactly I want it to sound. The radiator runs cool and doesn't leak. It doesn't drip gas or oil. I've got 82.5% of the rattles stopped. I believe after filling it with gas and washing it tomorrow it's going to be as ready for the tour on Saturday as it's ever going to be. If I've got anything at all to complain about it's that even with the windows down that sucker feels like somebody's got the heater on. I mean it was very warm inside that car. But I got home and popped the top on a cold beer and life is getting better all the time. God bless our Model Ts.
Let's go.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #129
yachtsmanbill

Thats exactly why the fordor had a vent on top of the cowl. You can prop open your gas lid for a little extra air. The touring cars we had we would tie a rope around the radiator neck to the latches and keep them wide open. Got all the floorboards in place? Get a thick chunk-o-rug for added insulation and just cut slots for the pedals. Even they get hot and radiate heat! You can also spray glue aluminum foil or underhood insulation on the bottom of the boards to radiate heat especially off the ex-pipe.
Thank GOD for Frigidaire (owned bt GM by the way...) ws
Old 05-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #130
[email protected]

Yeah, My '21 got hot too. But it wasn't as noticeable because the air was always moving around in the cock pit.
Let's go.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #131
yachtsmanbill

Just imagine driving that tudor in Phoenix tomorrow... 107 in the shade; and there aint no shade down there! The one beater touring car we had up north was missing the top part of the floorboards. Man the heat would roll in there! It was neat at night tho to see the manifold glowing red! ws
Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #132
[email protected]

Quote:
Just imagine driving that tudor in Phoenix tomorrow... 107 in the shade; and there aint no shade down there! The one beater touring car we had up north was missing the top part of the floorboards. Man the heat would roll in there! It was neat at night tho to see the manifold glowing red! ws
My sister lives in Phoenix and all I hear from her is one complaint after another about how hot it is. All I can think of is tough sh-t. She lived in the U. P. before that. That's right she was a uper. Her husband had a job working for the steel company up there. Everyday he had to walk a mile long pipeline down to a dam and chase all the morons off steel company property. Then he'd walk back and he was done for the day. They had free housing a company truck and their utilities were paid. They had to pay their own phone. So they didn't have one. But after a few years he got bored and packed up the whole bunch and moved them to Gila Bend Arizona. Then divorced her, left her broke and moved to DC. She raised her kids and remarried a guy who's job is walking the bomb range at the airforce base by Gila Bend. His job is to keep the illegals off the range after they jump the border. He finds bales of marydidjawanta and other stuff all the time. He has control over the entire bomb range from the Mexican border to the northern range border. When the border patrol wants to go into the range they have to ask him and either he or one of his employees goes in with them. Otherwise they can't go on the range. He's constantly finding abandoned cars and pickups and has them towed off the range. They become property of the US Govt and the weirdest thing of all is that he works for a private contractor out of Alaska. He's always sending me pictures of some of the stuff they find out on the range. He says every once in a while he finds bodies of people who didn't make it. Sometimes because of airstrikes. Sometimes it's no more than bleached out bones. They seldom identify who the people are. He's out there day and night no matter what the temp is. He drives 60 miles one way everyday to work and he loves his job. He's about 6'2" and goes about a buck sixty. He's a really great guy but I worry about his sanity and my sisters well-being. Ya gotta be nuts to want to live in AZ.

I'm not to worried about the heat in the car. Like you said I can open the vent in the cowl and let the air flow around the gas tank and I'll push the windshield out and lock it. I'll make sure I've got some cold water and I'll dress appropriately. Tomorrow is a wash and a polish and then I'll go out and clean the car up. Bwahahahaha! Thank you, thank you, thank you very much, I'll be here all week. Thank you!
Let's go.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:04 AM   #133
[email protected]

No it's all later than 2000. There is a 1954 Ford 2 ton that they leave where it's at. He says it used as a landmark when they're out there. It's missing one of the dials and all the glass is busted out. It looks like it had been on fire in the cab.

Well tomorrow's the day of the tour. It's been windy as heck for the last 2 days. I wanted to wash the car today but it'll be useless with this wind. Maybe it'll get quiet by this evening.
Let's go.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 AM   #134
[email protected]

Yesterday was a rough one. I was out of sorts from a bad nights sleep and was actually having second thoughts about the tour. But I had a couple guys waiting to meet up with me so I sucked it up and went. The car seemed to perform very well for the first part of the trip. But then we met up with the entire group and things pretty much started to slide downhill. The tour was fun and it was some beautiful country that we drove through. The fella that hosted the tour really put some time into preparation and stayed on top of things like a real champ. He had quite a few interesting stops to show our cars off and a lot of people were impressed with them. Potluck is always good and the drinks were cold and the place where we ate was a beautiful property on the lake. But, after we started the tour and made our first stop I was checking the engine because I had seen steam come out from under the hood. I lifted the hood to take a look and Andy looked in and said your fanbelt isn't even on the pulleys. So we went to put it back on and it was so oily it couldn't stay on. I wiped it and the pulleys off but the damage was already done. The front seal on the motor was bleeding oil like crazy. But rather than quit the tour I continued on because our host had made some commitments that we all wanted to adhere to. But after the last stop rather than finish up with everyone else I headed North. I drove about 15 miles and stopped to fill with fuel. The engine was running cool enough without the fanbelt to keep from hurting the engine. So I started the next leg of the journey but, I got on the phone and told my son to hook-up the trailer and meet me. About 15 miles farther down the road I met up with him. I pulled the car up on the trailer and though the radiator cap was hotter than, well it was pretty hot. So now the sedan goes in the shed until I can make time to work on it. I'll be finishing up the touring car over the next couple days and then at some point I'll start back on the sedan. So all in all the tour was a success and I had fun but I was pretty tired when all was said and done.

So today is a day to take it easy. I'm going to wash some clothes and pick up the house a little and get ready to head to Wisconsin tomorrow.
Let's go.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #135
yachtsmanbill

Wow, are you up this early or still up from last night? We were just discusing what to feed you (plus the BS LOL!!!) for dinner... sounds like some cajun yard bird on the grill with Pats potata salad. let me know if you wanna stay overnight on the boat. Got a pile of tools to clean up... no biggy tho...
Scott, the brawny lad, doesnt know it yet haha, but he's gonna help move Andys machine, the lathe, and the bench. The way I see it, we can either knock down the bench, or, put it sideways up front intact, slide the balancer and lathe underneath it. The balancer is on a beat to sheist pallet that you can keep or we can burn. No biggy there either... Now go take a nap.
Whdda ya think of that red speester?? Dont forget those coils please! Bring some goggles for a spin around the block!!
When you re-do the 26, you can use the OEM seal up font, O ring it or put a lip seal in it, but ya gotta pull the pan to do the latter... ws
Old 05-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #136
Farmallcub49

The Model A Rope seal is the best for this problem, IMO. The felt just absorbs the oil until it is full and then just screens it as the oil passes through. The modern neoprene seal is great, but as Bill says you have to pull the pan to do it. The Model A is two piece, but it is best to install with the pan off anyways.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #137
yachtsmanbill

Ive heard that a 1-1/4" X 1/2" O ring (front journal diameter??) works pretty well also...Cut it at the 12:00 position with a razor blade, and slide it in the bottom pan slot with some ULTRA BLACK (not black RTV!) sealer and glue the joint back together with a drop of crazy glue. I still prefer the anaerobic sealant tho... After the bottom is in, squeeze the sealant in from one side till it excretes out the other side.
I used a cam shaft neoprene lip seal but still used the felt front seal with never seize on the face for a fast run in. Bone dry so far. ws

And yes, the grounding face got cleaned to bare metal!
Old 05-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #138
[email protected]

My plans are to put the '26 in the shed for now and focus on the '21. Then next winter do the same thing with the sedan as I did with the '21. I'm tired of Model T's right now and have become a little disenchanted.

They've got a show on TV about Naw 'leans right now. They just showed a rat swimming in the water. A true target of opportunity.
Let's go.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 AM   #139
[email protected]

Well I couldn't stand the thought of putting the '26 in the shed so I worked on it instead. It turns out the oil seal under the timer wasn't seated right. A new seal and all is good. I also ripped the water pump off and threw it in the corner. I dislike those things. And then a new fan belt and all is right in Central Minnesota. Now if I can refrain from driving it and working on the '21 I could have two Ts running at the same time.
Let's go.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #140
[email protected]

Well I fought my way through another baling wire/duct tape farmer fix and got a decent steel gas line put in the '21 today. Then I put the firewall in and it was time to quit. My feet hurt like a bit... Tomorrow I have to pull the starter back off so I can put the bolts in the lower firewall brackets. Then it time to set the steering column in and bolt it down. I'd really be happy to get done that far by tomorrow night. The days getting closer when I might be able to drive it again. Then it'll be time to get the bows rebuilt for the top and get the top on. Then once I get the seats redone she'll be ready for either winter storage or tear the rearend down for rebuild.
Let's go.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #141
[email protected]

Now that the dust has settled, his time with the work...Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit... And so the dust has settled and my work time as described on this thread is done. It's still spring and I've met my goal.
Let's go.