Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2012, 06:07 PM   #121
Jack Innes

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

Bill,

Have you seen the SS washers available to protect the paint? You can make your own from SS flat washers with a little tooling & a press or vise. http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/45

These things actually work.

On swap meets; are you aware of the Pre War Swap Meet next month (March 15 & 16 nothing on the 17th) at Chickasha, Ok.? They do not allow anything built after WWII or non-automotive. Worth the trip! Good people & good stuff!!
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #122
yachtsmanbill

I saw those Jack... looks like youd almost hafta bump the hole with a countersink and silicone these in to seal the paint edge. They recommend a paint free contact area.
If you swing by here Ill share the drive and expenses to Chickisha! Dont have it in me to make that one alone! ws
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #123
Jack Innes

Bill,

I think the disclaimer about the paint free area is a little butt covering on their part. Probably somebody with a pitted, rotten wheel filled the area with bondo & paint then had the washer & nut sink in & come loose then tried to sue the maker of the washer.
I put them on a coulpe of As on top of the paint years ago & have had no trouble. Just put the washer under the nut & start tightening carefully so the washer does not turn & ruin the paint. If you use nuts without them you will soon have the required paint free area with no effort at all.

It is only 1000 miles from your place to Chickasha, get adventurous! I could stop by but it does add 3534 miles to my round trip & you would have to stay at my place in Kansas till the snow is gone here in Ontario. (We finally did get some!) Just to add interest there is a 750 table gun show in Wichita on your way home Saturday & Sunday.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM   #124
yachtsmanbill

I just ordered 50 washers and will make the 60 degree mandrel on the lathe... GOOD IDEA Jack!! Whats just one more project? AND, speaking of which; I need a pre '26 fan mount tensioner pulley (no fan) for an experiment. Right now I have the correct 26 water neck mount, but wanna try mounting the older one with it as a tensioner for a serpentine belt to run an alternator AND be able to clear the lower radiator hose. INPUT??
I just gave one away a while back before this came to me in a dream.... ws

John used his water pump to drive the alt.

The after market units sit way up under the hood, and Id like to mount it lower like a pump so it looks a bit more factory and stronger...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM   #125
[email protected]

A swap meet and a gun show!!!!!! Holy crap!!!!!!

I just spent the whole day going through paperwork to get my ducks in a row to figure my taxes tomorrow. Ever since my wife and I split up I've thrown nearly every piece of paper I got my hands on in a couple drawers in my desk. It was a bit messy to get it done but in the morning I'll summarize everything and go to my CPA at 1:00 tomorrow. If you see me crying tomorrow afternoon just walk on past and leave me to my miseries.

Our swap meats in Mintersoda have turned to crap over the last 10 years. They're all bird houses and hot pan holders. They've become flea markets. St Cloud had a really good swap meat up until 3 years ago. Now it's crap. Little Falls has had a good swap meat for years. It's always been small but now it's becoming junk. Even the Back to The Fifties at the state fairgrounds in St Paul isn't as good as it was but for the most parts it's car related. It has it's share of tunnel ram intakes and tri-five chevy stuff (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little bit) but at least it's car stuff. The one in Ok sounds pretty good. Drive down on the 14th. A full day on the 15th, a half day on the 16th, drive up to Wichita then gun show on the 17th and 18th then leave for home on the 19th. Maybe I'll pull my flatbed trailer down with me to haul guns and car parts with. Now all I have to figure out how I'm going to pay my income taxes and for motel rooms for a couple nights in March.

I'm going tuesday to buy a 1991 Mustang for my oldest son. I could not believe I found it had collector plates on it. I'm going to have to put regular plates on it because I don't want to have to limit how much he can drive it with the insurance company. I think it's time to change some laws.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #126
yachtsmanbill

We're on a mission from GOD.. Dont blaspheme in my restaurant!

I wanna be an okie from muskogee... lets roll Kato! ws
Old 02-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #127
trulyvintage

Thumbs up Fun in the corner ....

Bill,

I enjoy your posts here

The corner is a fun place to hang out in .....

I do believe you are Hunter Thompson reincarnated
in a strange kinda way

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #128
fordman67

you fellas need to come down to louisville ky here in a couple of weeks.Good swap meet there.One of the car clubs im in charters a bus...pretty swanky ordeal and I can sleep for once on a trip....(the ol lady always makes me drive)
Na, I dont like working on cars...I exist for it!
fordman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #129
Jack Innes

Bill,
Had you thought of driving the alternator on the back of the belt like some modern cars? It could mount below the pump & inside a custom bent water pipe (muffler shop project) about where the cross drive mag sits on my 1914 touring. It might take finding an alternator that turns backwards.

Yes that is a starter hiding in there, it came with my ICD. This baby has nasty compression!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg old hard drive pictures 4243.jpg (102.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #130
[email protected]

Got out of bed and there's no bread for my toast. Oatmeal for breakfast has my stomach feeling like someone shoved a humongus boulder down there. Went over to pick up my son's dog and there stood my son. What the heck? Then he told me it's dead presidents day. Sure wish I had today to work on the T. But these damn taxes have got me wound up to where I wouldn't be able to get anything accomplished. Bill, why don't you come up with some war to put a gear and mounting plate on the front of an alternator. Then make a hundred of them to pay for your R&D. I gotta go take a nap before I go put my well-being in the hands of a flesh eating CPA. Wish me luck and say a little prayer for me. I think that oatmeal is trying to make another round of it.
Let's go.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:56 PM   #131
yachtsmanbill

WOOD WHEELS ARE SOLD! Will be shipped out tomorrow. I guess its true... he who hesitates is lost... ws
Old 02-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #132
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Fun in the corner ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
Bill,

I enjoy your posts here

The corner is a fun place to hang out in .....

I do believe you are Hunter Thompson reincarnated
in a strange kinda way

Jim

Fear and Loathing at Swap meets, or HELLS ANGELS in FLIVVERS?? HT was a big influence in my previous life! I take that as a compliment! ws
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #133
yachtsmanbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
Bill,
Had you thought of driving the alternator on the back of the belt like some modern cars? It could mount below the pump & inside a custom bent water pipe (muffler shop project) about where the cross drive mag sits on my 1914 touring. It might take finding an alternator that turns backwards.

Yes that is a starter hiding in there, it came with my ICD. This baby has nasty compression!

AH HA!!! Class is in and you move to the front Jack!! You can even pass out assignments and sharpen the pencils LOL !!
The backside drive insnt such an issue as is the amount of contact the belt makes on the pulley. I know theres a quotient there somewhere but it eludes me for the moment. The other issue here is the amount of friction needed to drive the alt, with the rest of the system running on bushings. Bearings can happen later, but this is what Ive got to work with for now.
On the rotation issue... at least with one wire DELCOTRONs there isnt any. I have 2 on my boat that are counter rotating, the only difference being a LH or RH cooling fan to pull clean cool air through from the back... dont want belt dust going in from the front.
Being the unpure purist that I am (?) I was going to depend on the thermo syphon system. Thats also not to say that a new radiator and a pump wont happen next year. I am a little concerned the thermo syphon wont work up to par with a bent lower pipe... what do you think? ws

Old 02-20-2012, 02:16 PM   #134
Jack Innes

Bill,

The thermo syphen system will work better than a pump in most cases. Some will argue otherwise & have pumps installed with restrictions in the pipes to slow the water down so it has time to pick up the heat - you know kinda like dragging an anvil behind your motorcycle because the throttle won't close far enough to let it slow down. Ford made the first few Ts with a water pump then decided it would work better without one for the next 15,000,000 cars. Seems like a fair test.

A T, many times, fits the observation "If it aint broke, keep on fixing it until it is!"

The water inlet tube can be any shape as long as it is always going up hill to the engine.

If you mount the alternator down low like the first sketch, the belt could go around the outside & have pretty good contact without the need of an idler. You probably should use a low output alternator that will not stall the pulley when it kicks in, unless you are going for the air-con & million watt stereo option.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #135
yachtsmanbill

So you think in this revised drawing in blue that this will be enough contact to drive a 40A alt.? Right now this guys got a twister on the front with no starter or gen. Id like to run 12V lites and then a 1000 watt Kyle kicker box with 18" speakers on the back wont drain the battery. Hmmm Lites and a cigarette lighter maybe.
Part of this equation is the mount also. Up a bit higher gives access to the water neck and head bolts and maybe even the water inlet bolts. The tensioner I need is one pic'd below.
I wholey agree about the pump. Had them with both and both performed well within their own capabilities. More to follow, Im sure! ws

Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #136
yachtsmanbill

So then, on to the real work today... Started futzing with some steering issues. The lower mount is going to get mounted on the bottom of the top frame rail and lower it some on the firewall... So now; I couldnt turn the wheel far enough to put the pitman arm in the running position. I surmised (correctly BTW) that the internal travel limiting slot and pin in the quadrant gear was not in position. BINGO. However if I put it in position the pitman arm is almost 180 off. What am I doing wrong? If the quadrant was riveted in upside down the screw slot for the gear cover would be at the bottom.
There is a timing mark on the triple pin plate and the pins are extremely tight as in not being able to change their position... Expspurts??? ws

The limiting pin is at the 4 oclock position. Note 12 oclock timing mark.

The limiting slot runs from about 9 to 3

With the top end out of position the pitman arm is at 6 oclock, which I assume is in the driving position give or take a few degrees. Right or wrong?? Is the key on the shaft in the wrong position? Arm key wrong? Psychedelic flash back from the mechanic?? Ill accept any answer LOL

Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 02-20-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #137
[email protected]

Bill, you've got to slow down for the elderly to catch up. After the tax appt this afternoon, stick a fork in me I'm done. Normally I read your posts and look at the pictures and I can almost decipher what it is you're trying to say. But today your looking for ekspurts and asking so many questions. The questions are going on and on and there's so many of them. There's just one question after another. Why do you have to ask so many questions. I wonder if the beach is open today. Mommy, mommmy!!! Oh there's my teddy. My naughty little boy...
Let's go.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #138
yachtsmanbill

C'mon man.... we're all EX-spurts ! Ive only got about 5 more weeks on this until I switch gears and start on the boat stuff; then this all becomes fill in work. Thats what yences me off when I find something wrong and it takes another day or two to correct it! ws

YUP... nothing like swinging long arse 2X4s with a skil saw and a drill 20 feet in the air when its cool and breezy, THEN having fun wrestling a 300 pound tarp up and over all that framing.

"We'll all be gone for the summer, cant wait for June.... a bushy bushy bomb hair-do, surfin' USA..."
Old 02-21-2012, 06:43 AM   #139
yachtsmanbill

I forgot to mention winterizing and draining 2 454s, a generator, and the whole potable water system. Its a tite ass fit down there too. Pat hands me the tools at least... ws

I have this thing for yellow motors... didja notice? Did I mention it was a tite fit down there???
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM   #140
yachtsmanbill

In honor of Tired Mike, I took it easy today... Knocked the column apart, pulled the shaft and switched the quadrant pins. Finally have a steering wheel that turns lock to lock without going over center. By the looks of the slot, this thing has been out of time for ages!
Once that was done, I hung the column on the fire wall with some wire to approximate its angle and location. This enabled me to fab up the lower column mount which is now mounted to the bottom side of the top rail.
The next step is a wedge for the bracket and then start on the firewall and play make believe with a seat to check the feel of the wheel and pedals... sure dont want the muckaluks gettin' twisted up in the pedals do we??? ws

Just to strengthen it up a bit Im gonna weld the corner tomorrow. The side bolt comes out for bracket clearance, then the old holes get welded shut, THEN we start to at least tack weld the bones and tie rod in position. Wanna get it all roughed in first, then go thru and weld it all at the same time.