Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2012, 05:29 PM   #201
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Jetzt, da der Staub gelegt hat, seine Zeit bei der Arbeit

Also did a little custom work today. Cut, rewelded and painted the POLLINATOR's stinger! ws

New nut from OSO GRANDE!

This is what came on the chassis and Im likin' it! It was really rusty and the joint was gas torch welded by a one eyed drunk. Cut it apart and rewelded it. Now its COOL Daddio!

I really detest chrome spray paint, but what the heck... looks OK for me!
yachtsmanbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #202
[email protected]

Just watched your video of Lake Michigan. That's some fairly wild water. I'm glad I wasn't on the ferry going across to the other side. I got the top for my touring from Clastique yesterday. I didn't bother opening the box. I went on eplay the other day and found a dealer for POW/MIA flags. I ordered up 2 of them. One for my vet friend here in the park and one for me. I can't wait to display my flags. My next door neighbor has a friend near Camp Ripley MN that makes flagpoles and will put one up for $400.00. I hope I can get to where I can afford one this summer. I put a couple hours out in the shop picking up and cleaning off tools today. I've got to find some gloves that can take kerosene. When I was trying to clean today I used some yellow kitchen gloves. They got real sloppy real fast and tore quickly. I'm gonna see what harbor freight has to offer. After I played in the shop I went and fired up the snow blower and cleared about 10 inches of light flurries off the driveway. Then in for my nap.
And we're wearing sunglasses
Let's go.
garrisonm89@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 PM   #203
yachtsmanbill

You need the blue gloves to protect that French Manicure! They are NITRILE and impervious to solvents (most) get a box of 100 and a tube of KY ...
oops! Sure glad we werent out on the lake today! ws

Quick story... My mom was the village cleark for 25 years where we lived. She ended up buying a townhouse and installed a flag pole along with all the landscaping and lights etc. She was a patriot! The GD association made her take it down as it didnt conform to the developements' motife.
Bunch-o-commie bassturds...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #204
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

By far the most interesting thread here! Keep it up!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:43 PM   #205
[email protected]

I'll have you know I get my mankure done right here at Guns, Nails, Pets, Tattoos and Bingo Emporium in Rice Minnesota. It keeps me from having to take that long bus ride to France every 4 years.

-Tomorrow the VA Med Ctr
-Friday Track of the Wolf in Elk River MN. They're an antique black powder gun dealer.
-Grand Rapids, MN Saturday
-Sleep Sunday then into the shop for awhile

Will, it looks like you're moving right along with the Speedster. I really like the exhaust setup. I'm starting to imagine what that T is going to look like. A couple of months ago there was a speedster in one of the model t club magazines that was painted with John Deere colors. Though it looked a little strange at first I really liked it and thought "that's what a speedster should look like".

Maybe Andy is going to have to print a brochure for his business and put a picture of your speedster on the front of it. I mean after all the majority of the purchased parts, both used and new, came from him.
Let's go.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:14 PM   #206
yachtsmanbill

Thanks Luke! I wish some of you guys would submit stuff and some pics... after all, this is social networking at its finest; its about vintage iron! "ol Mikes' about the only one that responds and if he's not on by morning I really miss him... aw shucks!

Heck, we run a boating forum here and theres usually 20 submissions of one sort or another per day. Its not even always about boat stuff either. Its about what everyones interests are... you know ; guns, women, women, girls, tires, paint... what ever flips yer burger.

That stoopid muffler got me today! It was a 10 minute job to hang the pipe and slip the thing on. Well after looking at it the first time since August I realized what a lousy weld the PO did on it. I cut that section out to good steel and welded it up. No biggie. Tapped the MIG once and I had a hole. Then it turned into 3 hours of stitching it back together and grind grind grind. Ive got the right paw wrapped up in a ACE bandage right now and its a bear to type. Its the love of the game clause....
Andy is welcome to use a pic for a catalog... I really think we should do a calendar with all our stuff and sell them at swap meets... dont we deserve to make a MIL????
Im dun for now... got another big day planned tomorrow; thats what I missed today LOL... Gonna start on that firewall but I need a sheet of 3/4 plywood first... now make a choice judges... poll is up. Which is it? Body? No body? Little shell??? ws

Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 PM   #207
Jack Innes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
So what were the 583 lb barrels for?

To reply to your question, the 583 lb. barrels are for 6 pounder guns to be placed in a park that was a battlefield in the war of 1812 (Sorry about that White House thing). The pictures are of 3 pounders. The barrels are ductile iron cast around a heavy wall seamless steel tube with a heavy breach plug. These are fully functional & legal to boot. 66" barrel legth.
A naval gun would look good on the deck of that big boat! The same fellow makes golf ball sized rail guns as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3lber%20003.jpg (140.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 3lbgarrison%20005.jpg (98.3 KB, 6 views)
Jack Innes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:45 PM   #208
Jack Innes

Bill,
A cowl would look good, maybe something like GM put on their Buick sports car in 1911? I can give you close up pictures if you like.

You could mock something up in cardboard to see what looks good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (121.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 008.jpg (104.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #209
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
To reply to your question, the 583 lb. barrels are for 6 pounder guns to be placed in a park that was a battlefield in the war of 1812 (Sorry about that White House thing). The pictures are of 3 pounders. The barrels are ductile iron cast around a heavy wall seamless steel tube with a heavy breach plug. These are fully functional & legal to boot. 66" barrel legth.
A naval gun would look good on the deck of that big boat! The same fellow makes golf ball sized rail guns as well.
How does those work out for conceal and carry? I thought that 170 year old double barrel 14 gauge was going to be a problem but those things your showing jack look down right bulky.
Let's go.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #210
Jack Innes

[How does those work out for conceal and carry?

No problem! First you buy a retired UPS truck --------
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 AM   #211
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Innes View Post
[How does those work out for conceal and carry?

No problem! First you buy a retired UPS truck --------
Sure just like you to bring a truck with a cannon to a gunfight. I think that would be what you'd call "guntruck". When I first went overseas in the military I was assigned to a Quad 50 unit. Four 50 caliber machine-guns mounted on a turret and fired electronically off a 5 ton 6X6 That would getum ducking their heads. That's what we called a guntruck.
Let's go.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 AM   #212
yachtsmanbill

Sometimes you gotta wonder... I copy and pasted this from across the hall just now. Ill elaborate after that "morning smoothie" ws

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages...tml?1330606573
Old 03-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #213
[email protected]

No fordbarn. Computer won't go to fordbarn. Phone will.
Let's go.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:42 PM   #214
yachtsmanbill

Sometimes you feel like the pidgeon and sometimes you feel like the statue...

On the cowl issue... for the sake of simplicity, I think a full sized firewall with the smaller hood former will lend itself to being easy to transition into the size of the shell... I dont know how on earth 2 big people used to sit in an early car with 4 big feet on that litle floor space. Even a 26 gets tite, not to mention hot! I guess we'll hafta see how it plays out with a cardboard mock up...

Scored on Edog the other day..." 2"antique tractor wrench for $3.00 " YUP its a T model exhaust nut wrench... works like a champ I mite ad...

Also played with my idler contraption. Fixed a bullet hole in it and trued it up on the lathe only to find its gonna hit the fan! Now Ill have to make a spacer for the fan too but theres 1-1/2" of clearance to the rad so thats not too bad...

Old 03-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #215
yachtsmanbill

Got the new mount from Andy today... Thanks pal!! Ran a tap through the threads and cleaned and painted it only to find Ill have to make new bolts. The OEM X member was 1/8" wall and the new extension is 1/4" wall, so Im 1/8 over and about 3/4 too short... sheist gebfarten! ws

Old 03-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #216
[email protected]

Quote:
sheist gebfarten! ws
Now is it that you're allowed to talk like that and I still feel the effects of my mother grabbing my ears and giving my ears a good hard tug for saying the same kind of stuff? Do you have no scruples?
Has that idler setup you got there got rollers in it? I've been waiting for one of those exhaust nut wrenches to come up on ebay for a long time. I saw one on there not to long ago and thought I'd put a bid on it but then I saw what the bid was on it and decided it was too high. I guess I'll just have to borrow Andy's next time I need one. And now in order to satisfy your need to see pictures on here I'll put one on for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 120229-224901.jpg (67.1 KB, 10 views)
Let's go.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #217
yachtsmanbill

ROLLERS??? We dont need no stinkin' rollers! That things' only gonna spin at 1500 on a good day, but I can try to get a Hyatt in there if thatll please the judges.
Find me a chunk of 5/8 or 3/4 steel and Ill make ya one for favors granted! Ive got the technology, and now Ive got the pattern! ws
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #218
Jack Innes

Bill,

Have you ever used Torrington drawn shell bearings? They are today's mini Hyatt bearings. You find them in riding lawn mower gear boxes, etc. See; http://www.daltonbearing.com/torring...-bearings.aspx
Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #219
[email protected]

Quote:
ROLLERS??? We dont need no stinkin' rollers! That things' only gonna spin at 1500 on a good day, but I can try to get a Hyatt in there if thatll please the judges.
Find me a chunk of 5/8 or 3/4 steel and Ill make ya one for favors granted! Ive got the technology, and now Ive got the pattern! ws
Well I'm sorry if I've stepped on your toes. I was just asking. I didn't mean to cause any hard feelings. It's just that I bought a fan hub this last summer that looked a lot like that without the bullet hole and it had rollers in it. Please don't be angry with me. I didn't mean anything by it.
Let's go.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:47 PM   #220
yachtsmanbill

Thats a thought Jack! I almost used one on the driveshaft job but was advised against it as the bearings run on a less than hard shaft journal designed for a bushing. I wonder how hard that fan shaft is? Of course there very little load on it too. While its apart I should change the ones on the radiator neck style bearings... I will look into it... have a bearing distributor down the street, about 35 miles LOL ws