Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Chuck Kuntz

Default Who sells the best 39-48 wheel cylinders

I have heard that a lot of the currently available wheel cylinders are of poor quality. Where can I purchase good ones?
Chuck
Chuck Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Vic Piano

Default Re: Who sells the best 39-48 wheel cylinders

I recently got a set of wheel cylinders for our '39 LZ from NAPA, they were foreign made but fit and work just fine and, they were half the price of some of the Lincoln parts suppliers for the same foreign made parts.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
alan

bought a set from Auto Zone, 2 were made in Argentina, 1 from Italy and 1 from who knows where--all of them worked good and like Vic said, half the price from a supplier
alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
russcc

I rebuilt the originals '40s with USA made parts for short money. The machine shop charges about 10- 15 each to clean & hone them. The NOS/NORS parts suppliers like Ray Helger in RI, Fred Wilner, SS Obsolete in MN, Stacy in Arlingrton TX, T&N in Weymouth MA usually have complete NORS cylinders and the parts. The parts are real simple cups & rubbers, made is USA. I converted the system to DOT 5 silicone brake fluid when I did it. No more rusted & stuck wheel cylinders. The procedure is simple and explained in a great Fordbarn post. I for one am not interested in using foreign crap in my American car if I can help it. Take a little digging, but prevents issues with repop crap which always seem to come back to bite you cause you got it cheap. What's your labor worth ?
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
john in illinois

I agree that NOS is the best way to go if you can find them.

I had trouble with a repro cylinder leak and it turned out that the fluid hole was drilled too far up the bore and caught the cup.

This is discussed here on the HAMB
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...wheel+cylinder see post #20.

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 08-30-2013 at 01:18 PM. Reason: ad reference
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I think its safe to say we’d all like to have NOS, OEM parts to use on our cars/trucks but, in the real world, where these vehicles are 60 to 70+ years old, NOS & OEM parts are getting hard, if not impossible, to come by. I like to drive our cars & trucks so, if I can't fine OEM/NOS parts, I look for the next best thing, sometimes off-shore and sometimes American made. I also look for the best prices; I see no reason to pay an inflated price for parts from a Lincoln parts place, when I can get the same parts for less. The off-shore made wheel cylinders I got for the ’39 LZ have been fine so far, almost a year, and I drive the car as mucch as I can.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
don35

I have been satisfied with the wheel cylinders I bought from Little Dearborn in Minneapolis. They have an online catalog, prices wre reasonable, and they are great to deal with.
don35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Marv

They tell me you can have the originals rebuilt with stainless sleeves installed. I think that is what i would do with NOS before i used them, or original wore out ones.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
russcc

The real problem with new or old wheel cylinders is cars that do not get much use, compounded by the old type brake fluid that attracts water like a moth to a flame.
Dot 5, silicone, resolves these issues. If you don't trust yourself on a simple and inexpensive rebuild of original cylinders, then buy the foreign crap and pray.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #10
jdl

Send a message via ICQ to jdl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv View Post
They tell me you can have the originals rebuilt with stainless sleeves installed. I think that is what i would do with NOS before i used them, or original wore out ones.
This might be an option..

http://www.whitepost.com/brake.html

Or this one..

http://www.karpspb.com/sleeving.htm
jdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcc View Post
The real problem with new or old wheel cylinders is cars that do not get much use, compounded by the old type brake fluid that attracts water like a moth to a flame.
Dot 5, silicone, resolves these issues. If you don't trust yourself on a simple and inexpensive rebuild of original cylinders, then buy the foreign crap and pray.

I've rebuilt OEM wheel cylinders before (and I've got a bunch of used OEM cylinders just waiting' for me to take the time to rebuild them) but, it's easier to just go down to NAPA and pick up a set, foreign made or otherwise... Like I said, the off-shore cylinders I installed on our '39 LZ, from NAPA, have been just fine, no praying necessary. Amen.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
Mart

If you are buying rear cylinders, just make sure the feed hole is drilled at the correct angle. If the face is spot faced and dips under the surface of the casting, the angle is wrong. There was a thread on here about it.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote