Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
cars2cool

Default new wire harness for restoration

I'm restoring my '30 A pickup to original condition. I am about to the point of installing the wire harness and am curious as to who makes the closest harness to original as possible. I have see the ads for rhode island wiring for decades now, so they are probably doing something right to be in business this long. Anybody else out there that can provide a harness for a high point restoration?
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #2
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: new wire harness for restoration

The only harnesses I've heard of that are exactly the same as original are original harnesses.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #3
Stinch

Tyree Harris makes very good harnesses. 804-833-5200 [email protected]
Old 02-06-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
JD Miller

As mentioned, Tyree Harris wire harness are about as close to the originals as you will find. Great guy to deal with.

Original, unused harness, if you can verify they are from the period, are now so dried out and stiff using one would be for "show" only. Might be great if you were never going to run the car and could get one in place without it falling apart.
JD Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #5
peters180a/170b

Cars2cool , We have used Rhode Island for the past 30+ years not only in "A"s but V8 Ford restorations with "NO" problems. Tyree Harris i hear is good too. If you are not going for "ANAL" Fine Point judging[above 480 now] then any one of them is good. If you wish to locate a Orginial harness i would say a prayer and the sign of the cross as a n.o.s. harness went up in smoke in one of my cars[ in a trailer as i tried to back it out... ] and you are sitting behind a gas tank...Anyone of the 2 will do.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
George

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I got one from Tyree for my 29 RPU and I couldn't be more pleased. It is truly a quality harness. I was amazed at the little details in his work. For example the crimping of the brass ends on the headlight wires. I mistakenly thought they were simply soldered on...NOT.Give him a call , I dont think you will be dissapointed .
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Sacremento Vintage Ford has the machine to make the wiring harness in house, and they made me a couple of very good harnesses for my 28 and 29 with the drum taillight. The harness for the drum taillight is longer and most of the parts houses sell the later harness and you have to use an extension.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Ron in Quincy

Tom

Sacramento Vintage used my original 28 wire harness to set up for the early harness. They have a original mechanical looming machine and do an excellent job with correct color coded wires. They even put the plug in connectors on the wires for the very early light switch.

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #9
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Sacremento Vintage Ford has the machine to make the wiring harness in house, and they made me a couple of very good harnesses for my 28 and 29 with the drum taillight. The harness for the drum taillight is longer and most of the parts houses sell the later harness and you have to use an extension.
I also bought one from Sacremento Vintage Ford so I did not need to use the extension for the drum tail light on my '28 CCPU. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
cars2cool

Thanks for the input fella's, I do have a new replacement harness that my dad had stashed in with the other "A" parts for this restoration and it is way to brittle to even unwrap with out hearing things crumble internally. I like the term "anal restoration" as I am trying to get this as close to correct as I can afford. This particular car was found by my father in 1963 sitting along the 2 lane highway he drove everyday to work. It was pretty well neglected for a 32 year old car then, but by what I have seen the last few years and people are bringing them home to rebuild, she's pretty cherry. I've included some pics. to show how she looks present day. Except the rear fenders are tacked on and the rear brake lights are now mounted. Plus one other pic of my other life long resto project. Thanks again and I do hope you enjoy the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0748.jpg (76.4 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0753.jpg (84.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0755.jpg (62.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0756.jpg (79.8 KB, 31 views)
cars2cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Jim Parker Toronto

cars2cool, Your trucks look great, you've done an excellant job. Thanks for sharing, which one can I have?
Jim Parker Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote