Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2019, 09:47 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: 110 compression/gas in oil

Basically if your bowls are leaking down "overnight" with a 94, you have pv leak. How else is the bowl being drained??

It's not evaporation.

But someone better can add.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #22
RandyMettler

The problem I am having is the gas level has stopped dropping. I am going to check tomorrow and see if the level still remains at the top of the power valve springs. If this is the case than the gas is seeping out somewhere else than the power valves neoprene ring gasket. If the springs opens up under weak vacuum why would the valves stay sealed with the intake manifold with my two 94s installed sitting on my work bench stay closed? There is absolutely no vacuum keeping the power valves closed? This is all very confusing to me.

Last edited by RandyMettler; 01-04-2019 at 10:17 PM.
RandyMettler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 01-06-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
Tinker

At this point the obvious question is, “What’s the big deal with using 94s?” The main issue is the vacuum-controlled power valve. Every carburetor has some sort of enrichment system to supply more fuel when the engine requires it. Typically that’s when the engine is under a heavy load, such as full throttle acceleration, passing, pulling a steep hill, and the like. In all these situations, the throttle is open and as a result the manifold vacuum drops. Holley 94s used a power valve (also called an economizer valve) that opened to supply extra fuel to the engine when the vacuum dropped to a certain point, usually 7.5 inches Hg or less (the opening point is indicated by a number stamped in the housing). The problem is that when two or more carburetors are used, the vacuum signal drops earlier and more aggressively than with a single carburetor. As a result, the power valves open prematurely, making the mixture much richer than necessary. A common mistake in this situation is to re-jet the carburetors–that results in even worse driveabilty problems. Another mistake often made is to plug the power valves, something that we don’t recommend. The best approach to this problem is to stick with stock jet sizes (or very close) and use power valves that open at a lower value. In the past with dual 94s, we’ve used 3.5-, 4.5-, and 5.5-inch Hg valves, depending on the cam used, with excellent results.

Above was from this article.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0510...ge-carburetor/

Also check your fuel pump pressure.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote