Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #41
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Does anyone fold their windshield down?

It could be dane jus if the wind got under it and you reached up and caught it. This happened to me with a Jeep and it broke an otherwise good windshield. It wouldn't have been so bad if it hadn't been my dads jeep. This was many years ago but I never forgot it.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:16 PM   #42
ericr

I have a true contemporary story about this subject. Back in the 1920s Dad had an Auburn with a folding windshield. He was sailing around the city with the windshield folded down and a bug flew into his ear. He went ballistic and pulled over and saw a woman in her yard and asked her if she could help get it out. She thought he was a nutcase and blew him off.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #43
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
I have a true contemporary story about this subject. Back in the 1920s Dad had an Auburn with a folding windshield. He was sailing around the city with the windshield folded down and a bug flew into his ear. He went ballistic and pulled over and saw a woman in her yard and asked her if she could help get it out. She thought he was a nutcase and blew him off.
Well, Eric, Ever since I had a 3 1/2 week, hallucinating bout from a BAD reaction to Flexerill, I've had this "chirping" thing in my left ear, (TINNITIS??) Buster T. thinks it's a BUG!! I also acquired a "FLOATER" in my left eye during the same "fiasco"! Gregg thinks I'm a NUTCAKE!! He bought me a battery powered earwax sucker, in case it wuld help, it even has a little "built in" flashlight Bill W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BUG1.jpg (10.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg BUG2.jpg (9.2 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by BILL WILLIAMSON; 10-10-2013 at 12:35 AM.
BILL WILLIAMSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:55 PM   #44
jrapose

In California it is against the law for a jeep to drive on the road with the windshield down as it was never designed to do that....but the model A was designed to be driven on the road with the windshield down so it is legal to do it..... but be ready to argue with a cop as most of them don't understand the difference between a jeep and a vintage car..

I drive with the windshield down on warm days when I enjoy the breeze,,,not real fun at higher speeds .....yes you must wear eye protection...Red Barron style.

Joel
Chester Ca.
jrapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #45
Sparky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrain View Post
What about the speedster folks?
The first year I had the speedster I didn't have windshields. Not much fun at 40+ mph. It didn't take long until I added these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4300052.jpg (63.6 KB, 10 views)
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #46
Model A Speedster

Ive had the windshield folded down on my '31 phaeton a few times. Fun to drive, as I too am a motorcycle enthusiast! But a real b*#$h to get the rubber back into place as it is starting to get a bit hard with age. Also the vacuum line doesnt like to follow the windshield around so I have to make sure there is something laying around to plug it.

Drove my speedster for a while with no windshield, which is fun, but decided it looked better with a windshield in place.