Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
Charlie ny
BANNED

Default Re: The coupe is out of commission

Tell the family how much you love them, then find a donor motor as John Mason
has suggested.....you just know someone on the barn has one. I've witnessed the
neutering of guys when 'forced' to give up hunting, old cars or whatever.
You'll never find another coupe like the green one....it don't need no blower
motor (at this time ) to get moving again.
OMHO
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #22
FrankWest

If it is a financial hardship for your family, you may have to let the car go.
Some of us are so in love with our antique cars that we are a little crazy when it comes to putting money in them. Many or us have drained our bank accounts just to see our car in great shape.
When I first got my 1933 fordor it was not running, but I really enjoyed having the car anyway, and knew that i would eventually get it running. And now when it is running I still enjoy it a lot just to have it sitting in my garage, and to look at it, and sit in it...even without running it....But I have garage space for it..
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #23
peewee2you

Hello, I'm in the same position as Scott Wheaton, my family know's I'm a car guy and I'm 60 have had somewhere's in the neighborhood of 60+ over my span since I was 17yrs old. That being said everytime I get another one/project they scoff so what I tell em is keep it up and I'll buy another one that is what I do. I'll admit I like working and bringing them back to life more than I do driving them, but that's just me, and if it doesn't cost any money's out of their pockets mind their business. My wife see the enjoyment I get out of it and doesn't try to stop or impede anything I want to do, and sometimes need her help to refrain, I have 6 now not all projects only 3. It goes like this if I felt my family needed anything that important I would sell one or all in a heart beat. If your not broke but not rich then don't sell it, once you sell it yes you will have cash and you or someone else will find a way to spend it, and then you have nothing should you ever need some cash and with a classic/antique car you'll always have ready cash when u need it. just my take
peewee2you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:08 PM   #24
klawockvet

There are some things that should be non negotiable in a relationship. Cars owned by car guys are on top of the non negotiable list. As for economics, a running coupe is worth way more than the cost of a replacement motor over a coupe with a blown engine. Put a low cost stocker in it and keep planning for the motor of your dreams. My biggest regrets at this time of my life are some of the cars I have let go and one like yours is too rare to let go unless you are really honestly tired of it.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:32 PM   #25
estout81
BANNED

Keep the coupe! Say to yourself----"ain't no woman gonna change the way I think"
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #26
Binx

Call me selfish, but I've never allowed any of my few valuable cherished possessions to be put on the table during a financial jam. That would be like tearing out part of my soul leaving me a bitter resentful old man.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:35 PM   #27
Mart

They should understand the car gives you pleasure and not discourage you. You might need to put it on the backburner for a bit until you can get it back up and running again. Something will turn up.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
BlueSunoco

DON'T sell your Coupe. You will miss it too much, and if you go out to buy another the sticker shock might be pretty great.

This is your fun. Shame on them if they try to chide you into selling. Like Scott H said, have THEM give up a hobby and it will be a different story

Look at it this way------ you could be spending all day on the golf course or sitting in a bar, time away from family, AND those hobbies cost more than antique cars plus when the day comes to sell, you can't 'sell' golf course/bar time' has no value. Your Coupe ALWAYS will.

Enjoy your V-8, when you're dead and gone THEN they can git rid of it but I bet one of them or a grandchild, whatever will want the car.
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 02:06 PM   #29
jrvariel48

This is to everyone that responded:
I thank you all for shedding some light on this difficult situation!
This is what I love about this forum. It's a group of talented & honest people willing to offer advise to someone who shares a common bond with them without even knowing the person. It really makes me feel great to know all of you and I appreciate all of your input!
As I sit here and read through the posts, it's clear to me that there is only one decision for me to make. That decision is to keep the car and stick with a 59A motor. This way I can reinstall all the great gear on it that I originally had. I'll be pulling the motor soon to see exactly what damage has occurred. I pulled the drivers side head this morning and found piston #7 to be the culprit. As I carefully turned the motor over, I noticed the piston didn't move. It was in the up position so I pushed it down and it went deep into the cylinder. I'm assuming the con-rod is toast. This is also the side of the motor that had oil coming out of the water pump when I removed the lower hose. I won't know the real damage until the motor is out and broken down. I already called a bunch of my hot rod buddy's here in Jersey to find a replacement block if needed. I have a 4" crank and a pair of aluminum heads I would also love to install now that this has happened.
I'll keep you posted on what I find along with pictures.
I just want to say thank you again for keeping me focused.
Thank you,
Joe
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #30
1937pickup

Remind your family that you are out in the garage when they need to find you, not a bar.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:59 PM   #31
TonyM

Keep the car. If you can't fix it now, put it in storage until you can. You will be glad you did in the long run. It will be a lot harder to start over several years from now.

I know a bunch of guys who go around saying:
"I should not have sold that [insert year, make and model]. I wish I still had it."

Good luck.
TonyM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #32
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1937pickup View Post
Remind your family that you are out in the garage when they need to find you, not a bar.
1937 pickup is very right! You have a clean wholesome hobby.
My daughter's father in law has a big time gambling problem..
He has gambled the family broke over the past 40 years..His family only wished he was collecting antique cars all those years.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:29 PM   #33
FrankWest

Sorry to hear about your problem. It is every antique car owners worst nightmare.
But TRy to hang on to your..Like I said when I first got my 1933 it did not run and I still really loved it,
It was almost like a time machine taking me back to the 1930's! One poster is right, If you sell it and they try to get another some day...You may not only experience price shock but you may not even be able to find another one..These wonderful classic fords are getting very very scarce. They are truly worth their weight in Gold because of the availability of parts. As a result Every antique card enthuiast wants a Ford, for the style, history and especially because you can find the parts needed...Imagine if you need a 1933 essex Terraplan 8 cylinder engine...
Then you would have to sell that car!
Old 05-30-2015, 04:39 PM   #34
Scott H in Wheaton

13 years of running a classic Mustang shop and not once did I hear anyone say "Boy I'm sure glad I sold that old Mustang".

I only wish I could count the number of times I DID hear "I NEVER should have sold that old Mustang!"
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #35
37 Cab

I can`t imagine my family asking me to sell my old ford. I would if they insisted but it would be a hard sell to get me to do it. I agree with others here. If it is going to be a problem.. Store it.. Even if it means storing it for ten years.. You will not be sorry you did, and it will only be worth more in the future. Might even make a great project for you and a future generation someday. Good luck in making the right decision. I feel for you.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:18 PM   #36
Terranova

Never sell your car. Or your drums or your guitar.
Terranova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #37
Mart

Damn, it sounds like I need to go out and get some drums and a guitar.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM   #38
jrvariel48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Damn, it sounds like I need to go out and get some drums and a guitar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova View Post
Never sell your car. Or your drums or your guitar.
HAHA! I only have one guitar left and I'll get a divorce before I sell that!!!
jrvariel48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:30 AM   #39
HP Hunter

I would put the car away for this season, definitely not sell it, and spend this time with your family. Finsih a new motor for it over this coming winter and start out fresh. One half of this years already past.

Just my own opinion.

Harry
HP Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
5851a

Have sold a lot of toys this last year due to health like a lot of others have had to, but there are some things the wife has and some things that I have and they are not a option. Never spoken, but we both know it and would never ask. If my kid doesn't like it then I tell him "That's why it's mine and not yours" Best of luck on your rebuild.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote