Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2018, 12:49 PM   #21
100IH

Default Re: 600w

Malak, That be the stuff Essentially steam cylinder oil.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:11 AM   #22
Terry, NJ

I used Cornhead grease in my universal joint but only because it , the universal joint, has no "Yellow metal". I don't know where the cornhead sits on the GL scale. GL (Gear lube) To the best of my knowledge, is a scale from 1 to 5 that gear lubes are rated on. GL1 is the earliest (and most primitive) forms of grease. GL1 also has no sulphur content. The sulphur content will wipe out bronze bushings (Yellow metals) So where is the cornhead grease on this scale? Unless you've replaced the sector shaft bushings with needle bearings, I'd be very nervous about using cornhead grease in the steering box. For more info, check "Yesterday's Tractors" sub section Ford 8N.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHN View Post
I use John Deere Cornhead grease in steering box and u-joint. Works very well.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:49 AM   #23
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I used Cornhead grease in my universal joint but only because it , the universal joint, has no "Yellow metal". I don't know where the cornhead sits on the GL scale. GL (Gear lube) To the best of my knowledge, is a scale from 1 to 5 that gear lubes are rated on. GL1 is the earliest (and most primitive) forms of grease. GL1 also has no sulphur content. The sulphur content will wipe out bronze bushings (Yellow metals) So where is the cornhead grease on this scale? Unless you've replaced the sector shaft bushings with needle bearings, I'd be very nervous about using cornhead grease in the steering box. For more info, check "Yesterday's Tractors" sub section Ford 8N.
Terry
The NLGI rating for John Deere Cornhead grease is “0”, or soft grease. Regular grease is rated “2”, or normal grease.

Because it is soft grease it is well suited to be used in places with moving parts because it settles back down after movement stops. Also it is thicker than 600w oil which helps it from leaking or dripping out. Cornhead grease will not effect bronze bushings.

My experience has been that this product works very well in Model A steering boxes and u-joints. No leaks, no problems after many years.

I would be very interested in anyone’s confirmed comments on steering box failures caused by Cornhead grease.

Last edited by WHN; 10-18-2018 at 08:55 AM.
WHN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:59 AM   #24
Terry, NJ

Great ! Wonderful! Glad to hear it! I like cornhead grease but was holding off using it in steering boxes because of this "Yellow Metals" question.
Terry

Quote:
The NLGI rating for John Deere Cornhead grease is “0”, or soft grease. Regular grease is rated “2”, or normal grease.

Because it is soft grease it is well suited to be used in places with moving parts because it settles back down after movement stops. Also it is thicker than 600w oil which helps it from leaking or dripping out. Cornhead grease will not effect bronze bushings.

My experience has been that this product works very well in Model A steering boxes and u-joints. No leaks, no problems after many years.

I would be very interested in anyone’s confirmed comments on steering box failures caused by Cornhead grease.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #25
DHZIEMAN

Just my opinion, but seals of the day were just not what they are today! Also with the trans not being synchromesh, high viscosity lube helped slow the gears between shifts. Henry knew this and selected the thickest liquid lube available to kind of slow leaking. 90 wt hypoid or any modern oil has the right lube qualities, the trick is and was, "to slow the leakage!" With that in mind I use a high viscosity lube as I can purchase on my 1930!
DHZIEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:01 AM   #26
duke36

STP red bottle removed from shelves due to higher levels of zinc in the formula. Purported adverse effects on catalytic convertors, etc.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #27
duke36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
Has lithium thickener. May want to check compatibility if mixed with other products.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #28
40 Deluxe

Quote:
I use John Deere Cornhead grease in steering box and u-joint. Works very well.
John Deere Cornhead Grease comes in 2 varieties; one for slow speed gearboxes, and one for high speed gearboxes. So I assume we need one of each.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:32 PM   #29
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
John Deere Cornhead Grease comes in 2 varieties; one for slow speed gearboxes, and one for high speed gearboxes. So I assume we need one of each.
I do not think anyone is suggesting to use it for transmissions, only the steering box. So then that would be slow speed.

Correct me if I am wrong...

Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #30
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
I do not think anyone is suggesting to use it for transmissions, only the steering box. So then that would be slow speed.

I would say you are correct. Not the right thing for your transmission. Enjoy.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 PM   #31
Dick M

Send a message via Yahoo to Dick M

I have used Chevron or Mobil 680 for the last 16 years. You will need to go to a commercial petroleum supplier to find it. I am on my second 5 gallon pail. It works very well in the transmission, rear end, and the steering box.
Dick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:15 PM   #32
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:

Jim,

Anything in a Model A is "slow speed"!

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #33
40 Deluxe

Quote:

I'm not sure what JD considers a high or low speed gearbox, but I'm sure any gearbox on a combine runs at well under 1,000 RPM, and a Model A u-joint runs at 2,000 RPM or more.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:35 PM   #34
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
I'm not sure what JD considers a high or low speed gearbox, but I'm sure any gearbox on a combine runs at well under 1,000 RPM, and a Model A u-joint runs at 2,000 RPM or more.

Older cars with open drive shafts had grease fittings on there u-joints. The only way our u-joints get lubricated is from oil or light grease being splashed around inside the housing. Cornhead grease will settle back into the bottom of the housing after the movement stops. Heavier grease will not do that.

I would think that a corn picker would use oil in its drive transmission. The units (gears) or (gearboxes) running the cutters I believe is where the Cornhead grease is used. As in you lawn tractor.

Just my view, I’m not a tractor expert.