Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #1
dpson

Default Repop Ammeter Junk

I just purchased one of the newest repop 20 amp ammeters for around $8 and it's a piece of junk. The tabs on the bezel don't match the cutouts in the instrument panel, the "glass" is now a thin piece of plastic, if you tip it too far forward or upside down the needle falls out (it can be put back in but you need to take it apart to do it). I fiddled with it for a long time and finally threw it in the trash. Does anyone have a quality replacement?

I believe I can speak for others in the hobby, we would be happy to pay more for a quality unit!
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:52 AM   #2
big job

Default Re: Repop Ammeter Junk

Welcome to the modern world of junk made in a grass hut with dirt floors !!!
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
marty in Ohio

A few years ago I bought one, just like the one you had, from a very reputable retailer parts dealer and the same thing happened. I called the supplier and they said they would refund my money. I asked if they wanted the defective part back. They said just throw it out.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:12 AM   #4
Joe K

I first bought the $8 aluminum ammeter, then I bit the bullet and bought the $18.95 black and silver "exact copy" sold by a high-end vendor.

Examining the better quality meter I was impressed by the attention to detail. Well made it seemed to have the D'arsonval movement of a high quality meter. One had to buy the original "thumb-nuts" separately - but at least they were available.

I was excited by what I received - until I went to put it in the panel hole. Like the OP, I found the diameter did not match the hole in the dash, and the meter, even with ears bent out, would not hold in the dash.

Contacting the seller, I questioned him about the issue. "Its the best we can get today and we're aware of the problem. ONe solution we've found that works is to back up the meter with a rubber O-ring - set it so it 'catches' on the bent ears and that will hold it in place in the dash."

Well - they could have warned of the issue in the catalog - it might save them from the unwanted effort answering phone calls and dealing with returned items.

I ended up with the O-ring. It works - but its not right or original.

Joe K
Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 AM   #5
Nosetime

Bought one a couple years ago, took one look and trash canned. Buy them at the swaps whenever I find one, New old stock in box are out there on occasion.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #6
alexiskai

I like Bratton's disclosure on the unit: "This is a fair repro but all that is currently available." Bert's says "These are made in China, and they work, but are not perfect. None have been made in the USA for the last 20 years."

I wonder if we could get these to work - they seem to be about the right size, and if they can be adapted for either 12V or 24V then maybe they can be adapted for 6V.
https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/prod_...auge=1_ammeter
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
chrs1961815

Originals are out there, that is the good news. More good news is that someone I think was trying to get together the supplies for an accurate reproduction recently. Don't know if that project got shelved or what.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
1928Mik

I might have a 2 or 3 NOS extras in my Dad's old stash. PM me if interested and I'll go hunting for you.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:33 AM   #9
rotorwrench

You know it when you find an original. The movement is very sensitive on them. Move the body just a little it and the needle really moves. I'm just surprised than of all the cheap crap replicas over the years, no one thought about going that step further and having them made correctly by a company with the capability to make a decent product.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-14-2019 at 01:08 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:50 AM   #10
Russ/40

I'm using a repo from the 70 's. So far ok but as said, a poor fit.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 PM   #11
Joe K

This ammeter, at $9500 is definitely NOT junk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-Ins...373b673d78579d

Better hurry, only 1 left, 63 sold.

After 64 are sold, he can buy the $608,000 town car he always wanted.

Joe K
Old 08-14-2019, 06:07 PM   #12
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
You know it when you find an original. The movement is very sensitive on them. Move the body just a little it and the needle really moves. I'm just surprised than of all the cheap crap replicas over the years, no one thought about going that step further and having them made correctly by a company with the capability to make a decent product.
Motorwrench, please don't take this as criticism.
Everybody seems to blame those who make this rubbish but I think the problem is as much with the owners of these cars and the vendors who accept it and do not insist on a quality item when they order it and don't check it when it arrives. If a vendor was serious about quality (and therefore their own reputation) and they deal directly with the manufacturer, they would word their contract with detailed specifications and so that products that don't meet specs will be returned at the maker's expense. They will soon perform.
That said, there is also some responsibility for the situation that comes to us. If we keep buying junk, the vendors will keep selling it. It is only when a vendor's profits are affected that they will improve - remember those crappy tubes we all had a few years ago. One vendor saw the opportunity and had them made properly and no doubt did very well out of it. The other vendors were stuck with the junk but soon also had good tubes. Had we kept buying the junk, they would still be selling it.
I'm not a fan of the Chinese manufacturers and their Chinglish instructions but they make to a price. If we want quality, we will have to pay for it. Too many of us are so short sighted that we don't see good quality is still there long after the price is forgotten.
I'll get down off ny soapbox now!
Old 08-14-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
walkerlakeprinter

Exclamation Re: Repop Ammeter Junk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
This ammeter, at $9500 is definitely NOT junk.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-Ins...373b673d78579d

Better hurry, only 1 left, 63 sold.

After 64 are sold, he can buy the $608,000 town car he always wanted.

Joe K

63 sold at $9,500 a pop? With 100% buyer satisfaction? I guess I am not familiar with anyone who would do that! I'm surprised that Ebay doesn't have "common sense" warnings on some of these. I buy stuff all the time on Ebay and have been burned a few times, but live and learn! But not at $9500.....!!!!!
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I wonder if we could get these to work - they seem to be about the right size, and if they can be adapted for either 12V or 24V then maybe they can be adapted for 6V.
https://fariabeede.com/2-pages/prod_...auge=1_ammeter
I'm not sure but I don't think a 2" gauge is going to fit in a 1⅝" hole...

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 08-15-2019 at 12:01 AM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #15
dpson

I also saw that $9500 ammeter and was scratching my head, but if you go to that vendors "store" you will find roughly 25 other simple items with $9500 - $10,000 BIN price tags. The only thing I can guess is that eBay must offer some type of deal to sellers who have over $250,000 of advertised merchandise, so to meet this they artificially jack up the prices of a few items. Just a guess on my part and if anyone has a better explanation let me know.

Here's the link to the eBay listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Model-A-Ins...4AAOSweW5VB4J8
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #16
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I'm not sure but I don't think a 2" gauge is going to fit in a 1⅝" hole...
Well sure but I mean you might be able to mount it behind the hole and make do. My point wasn't "Here's an exact solution," my point was "this seems like a quality instrument that could be adapted to work if no other adequate component can be found."
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:23 PM   #17
updraught

Now the Chinese are paying the tarifs, maybe they will fix it.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Badpuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Well sure but I mean you might be able to mount it behind the hole and make do. My point wasn't "Here's an exact solution," my point was "this seems like a quality instrument that could be adapted to work if no other adequate component can be found."
That one appears to be a voltmeter with amps dial, usually used for current measurement in the hundreds of amps. (I'll spare you the detailed explanation.) It could be modified for 6V I'm sure, but I wouldn't mess with it.

You want a 20 amp meter for a model A, anything more just makes you squint. If your battery charge shows more than +/- 15A, there's something wrong.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #19
Terry, NJ

I had a meter from an old Mercedes on mine for a while, but I wasn't registering anything so I replaced it, but the fit was good.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 AM   #20
Y-Blockhead

This thread prompted me to write to Stewart-Warner about possibly looking into making a 1⅝" ammeter for the Ford Model A. I'm sure I would get a similar response from other manufacturers as the 2" gauge size is the standard size and retooling would be needed. It would have to be a relatively shallow gauge also to prevent contact with the gas tank.

Their response;

Dennis,

Unfortunately, the cost of tooling a new case and movement far exceeds the projected sales of this product. As such, it would not make sense for us to produce the part. Thank you for reaching out to us about this, though. We always appreciate suggestions from customers, especially loyal customers like yourself. Without customer input, we could very easily miss the mark on what customers are after.

Chris
Engineering Technician
Stewart Warner.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote