Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
CSArno

Question 35 steering column on 37-40 gear box?

Can a 35 steering column be adapted to a 37-40 gear box? Including the 35 steering shaft?
Have a 37-40 gear box but the steering shaft was cut off at the gear box.
There is probably literature out there on it. Vern Tardel's #1 book?

Thanks,
Chris
CSArno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:15 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 35 steering column on 37-40 gear box?

Yes, you can press the worm gear off of one shaft and press it on to the other one. However, it is not easy to press them on and off, need a good press and/or setup. 35 thru 39 all have the same length shaft. A lot of them are cut for shipping, etc. I weld them up using a sleeve over the joint.

Last edited by JSeery; 03-09-2015 at 08:38 AM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:30 AM   #3
flatheadfan

Cris-

As I understand your question, you are asking about the metal shaft inside the exterior tube housing. If this is the case it "can" be done but is tricky. First, you need to pull everything apart and measure the the total length of the shaft that was cut off to determine what needs to be grafted on. The eventual length should be 46.50" inches long tip to tip. Next weld one end of a ignition lock collar (see picture), on the cut off shaft. Cut the donor shaft the needed length to total 46.50". rotate the broken piece and line up the key-way (previously marked high spot before disassemble). Insert the donor shaft into the collar and a rod to mimic the light rod to insure hole alignment between the two pieces then weld. Things must perfectly straight. I have done this by placing the shaft in "V blocks."

Warning, this is a general description from memory of a "very senior citizen" so, I may missed something! However, if all fails, find another gear box. They are still around and wear is not a major problem on these gear boxes. They do hold up well from extended usage and the adjustment is easy.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steering collar.jpg (61.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg steering collar-2.jpg (62.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by flatheadfan; 03-09-2015 at 08:38 AM.
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #4
CSArno

Thanks J and Tom,
But I have 2 totally different answers from each of you. Maybe I can explain more.
I have a whole and complete 35 steering column with inner shaft and complete 35 gear box.
The 37 to 40 gear box has the steering shaft (shaft inside the hollow steering tube) cut off at the gear box. Do I really have to cut the 35 shaft and graft it on to the 37 -40 shaft or can the worm gear be pressed off the cutoff 37-40 shaft and pressed onto the 35 shaft?
Sorry for any confusion.

Chris
Old 03-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #5
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSArno View Post
Can a 35 steering column be adapted to a 37-40 gear box? Including the 35 steering shaft?
Have a 37-40 gear box but the steering shaft was cut off at the gear box.
There is probably literature out there on it. Vern Tardel's #1 book?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris, yes, and yes to your first two questions. I personally prefer and recommend pressing things apart and back together, for various reasons, rather than welding. It is not that tricky if you have, or have access, to the right equipment and tools. Here are some pictures that Neal in California posted awhile back (I hope he does not mind) and I use the same basic procedure. The key to success is having a large enough press and a good clamping collar to hold the shaft during pressing. I have done this for quite a few steering box rebuilds of my own, my friends, and other Fordbarners who have mailed their parts to me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg attachment-4.jpeg (55.3 KB, 235 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-6.jpeg (58.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-7.jpeg (68.5 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-8.jpeg (73.4 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-9.jpeg (71.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpeg attachment-10.jpeg (73.3 KB, 135 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 03-10-2015 at 07:52 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:32 AM   #6
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks J and Tom,
But I have 2 totally different answers from each of you. Maybe I can explain more.
I have a whole and complete 35 steering column with inner shaft and complete 35 gear box.
The 37 to 40 gear box has the steering shaft (shaft inside the hollow steering tube) cut off at the gear box. Do I really have to cut the 35 shaft and graft it on to the 37 -40 shaft or can the worm gear be pressed off the cutoff 37-40 shaft and pressed onto the 35 shaft?
Sorry for any confusion.

Chris
Unless I am misunderstanding the answers are same (in part), you can press the worm gear off and on the new shaft OR you can cut the new shaft and weld it to your existing shaft. The other posts just provided some detail.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:47 PM   #7
CSArno

Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. And pics are always very helpful.
Think we are going to try to press the worm gears off and on. Cutting a good steering shaft is a bit scary. The info might come in handy I've the future though.

Thanks again,
Chris
Old 03-09-2015, 03:50 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help. And pics are always very helpful.
Think we are going to try to press the worm gears off and on. Cutting a good steering shaft is a bit scary. The info might come in handy I've the future though.

Thanks again,
Chris
I agree on the cutting, in theory, but in practice it works fairly well. A gentleman here in Wichita modifies later steering boxes for use in Model As and that's what he does, cut and weld. Works great. But, I too would go the press route if you have the capability or can get a shop to do it.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:49 PM   #9
NealinCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Here are some pictures that Neal in California posted awhile back (I hope he does not mind) and I use the same basic procedure.
No problem, that's why I posted them...to help others. I did do a double take...I thought...hmmm, John's press and tooling looks exactly like mine.

Neal
NealinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM   #10
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealinCA View Post
No problem, that's why I posted them...to help others. I did do a double take...I thought...hmmm, John's press and tooling looks exactly like mine.

Neal
Thanks Neal, I was hoping you would not mind. When I first tried pressing these worm gears off and on different shafts, I used a section of pipe to support the shaft, trying to keep the shaft from bending. This worked ok, but after seeing the clamping collar you were using I came up with something similar. See attached picture. Its a block of aluminum with a hole drilled through the center that's just slightly larger in diameter than the shaft. Then I cut a slot through one side to the hole and installed three socket head machine screws to clamp the block tightly on the shaft. It works pretty well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150309_185559_742(1).jpg (27.9 KB, 30 views)

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote