Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #21
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Here we go again - more fires

News tonite said that the fires are traveling the length of a football field in as little as 2-3 SECONDS sometimes faster.

I just can't imagine that. It blows my mind. So sorry for you guys going thru that we have never had anything even remotely close to that. Doesn't happen in Illinois.

A fire moving that fast, you'd never have time to get much out let alone a Model A Ford.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
Terry, NJ

Agreed about the pilots and planes, but only 20 minutes of instruction and gonna do What? You sound like the guys who just wanted to learn to take off and didn't care about landing! Bill, There are 13 bodies of knowledge your are
tested on with the written test. English is the universal language of aviation, but French is the language of the weather. "Metar Tafs" anyone? On a more down to earth level, you have to learn to calculate density altitude and correct for altitude or you may not even get out of ground effect. And that doesn't even begin to calculate weight and balance and datum lines. And you're gonna learn this 20 minutes? YIKES! Better hire a pilot!
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Jhowes,
There ARE a LOTS of planes that have been converted. Here, we have a HUGE Fire Fighting Base, you should see some of the HUGE Planes they fly into the Mountains, braving the WINDS/UP-DRAFTS/ETC One looks like a 767 & one is a HUGE, 6 Engine Turboprop, "maybe" a Constellation???
Friend, Rex, flew some 2 Engine plane, that had 2, 1700 Hp engines, installed!
Our Planes serve many areas, when needed. It costs Tax Payers a LOTS of MONEY & most of the time, they're just SITTING!
Their PILOTS are my GREAT HEROS, they are SUPERB PILOTS.
On my "BUCKET" list, is a desire to get 20 Minutes instruction & FLY an Open Cockpit, Biplane. Here, they used to be used for Crop Dusting, out on the Ranch, I used to FLAG for them! (WHOOOSH!)
Bill Snoopy
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-07-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
denis4x4

Sitting here watching the fires in North San Diego County on TV. They are doing water drops after dark and the biggest issue is getting horse trailers through the CHP road blocks to rescue horses in the San Luis Rey valley.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #24
Y-Blockhead

Yes it was just on the news that a couple didn't have time to get their horses out. They lost 29 horses, some belonging to persons that rented stalls on their ranch.

We're about 40 miles south of the closest fire and we're getting a lot of ash and smoke.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote