Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2017, 04:47 PM   #1
Keith True

Default Model A era towbar

I was picking up some junk from an old car collectors home,and found this old tow bar.It was in a wooden box,and all I could see was Tow Bar stenciled on the remains of the box.One end just swivels,but the other end has a ball so it can move in all directions.It would put the cars only about a foot apart,so I can't see it going around many corners.I just have never seen anything like it.It is well greased so I haven't tried scraping it for some kind of ID.I got some old Weaver and Walker jacks,stands,and some pullers from the place too.I'm starting to realize I'm getting quite a collection of old garage iron now.a few hundred wrenches,lots of jacks and stands,gas pumps,air meters,old torches,KRW compressor,I think I could set up an antique garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (70.3 KB, 321 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (71.4 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (71.1 KB, 272 views)
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Model A era towbar

Remember when a 3 wheeled Harly used to be used to go pick up a car for service??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
1930artdeco

I will bring my car by for some servicing late next week. Do you take cash, check or credit?

Mike
Old 09-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #4
1930artdeco

The 'tow bar' doesn't look quite right. It looks like it is designed to just move a car around a lot or garage. Because both clamps go around a bumper and the turns would have to be so shallow it would take forever to turn. That and the bumpers would be tweaked at the end of the tow from all of the stop and starting. At least that is my method of thought.

Mike
Old 09-07-2017, 06:11 PM   #5
Keith True

I really can't see it as practical to tow a car with either.I can see it being used behind a Servi-car though.It was in a fitted wooden box marked tow bar.I also found a 1922 garage license for the city of Lynne Mass.I thought it was a license for a business,I read it closely and it is a permit to store two cars on a piece or property.Issued by the department of fire safety.Good for one year.I'll have to see if the picture will come out clear enough to read on here.A collector bought all of the literature,ads,signs,etc and somehow missed this hanging on the wall.He also missed a couple of Hank Williams posters that I spotted and got.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (41.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (45.2 KB, 63 views)
Old 09-07-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
30 Tudor

I bet that it is only one part of a complete tow bar, the rest of which you don't possess.
30 Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:55 PM   #7
Keith True

I guess some of the HAMB guys follow here too.Two of them sent me emails and pictures of this towbar.They said it is a complete unit.I kind of thought something might be missing,but there was no room for any more parts in the box.The parts shown fit in the box,with a place for the wrench that is with it.Both guys commented on the fact that it has the original wrench,neither one had ever seen one,just pictures.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:31 PM   #8
iverson

That's like the one we have my dad and uncle used it to haul home 35 41 ford jeeps they bought after ww2 at camp McCoy they went in a tow truck got one jeep running and used tow bar to pull another on one trip the jeeps front axel locked up and the jeep flipped over that's what I was told when my uncle gave me the tow bar 40 years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2230.jpg (60.4 KB, 79 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #9
1930artdeco

This is from my 31 Weaver catalogue, similar. But this one is longer and with a spring in the middle.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc0048ac9b copy.jpg (98.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 09-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Maybe" it required a driver in the rear car????
Bill Scared
Old 09-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #11
MNFATS

I'm glad I had read the post about the towing gizmo last night, because I came across one this morning at a swap meet and bought it out of curiosity. It looks just like the one in post
number 8, and is called a "Tow-Pilot", made in Caro, Michigan. I will probably just put it in my man cave because with such a short link between the two clamps it would be very difficult to turn sharply. As for the three-wheel Harley and a clamp tow bar mentioned above, that was one of my jobs as a teenager. That was a real blast!
MNFATS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #12
holdover

I have seen and used a tow bar like that in the 50s and 60s to tow Model As and other straight bumper cars, but have never seen one with such a short bar. Anything but a very shallow turn would bring bumper to bumper contact.. But looking at it sure brings back memories.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:43 PM   #13
triumphleroy

Worked in a Service Station in the Mid 50's and we had the Harley Three Wheeler that we used to go pick up customer cars. I later had an 1964 Mustang Motorcycle that Belonged to Leo Jaringan Pontiac in Ft. Worth Texas that was set up as a service vehicle. The Little Mustang 3 wheeler was only made for a short time and looked like a shrunken Harley. My grandfather and uncles bought lot of WWII surplus vehicles right after the war and jeeps were everywhere back then and could be had quite reasonably. I can definitely see this being used back in my younger years during and right after WWII. Folks took a little longer getting where they were going back then. This could be used on the long distance or cross country trip to conserve fuel. My experience has been as long as the engine is still installed up front the car will steer itself.

Last edited by triumphleroy; 09-10-2017 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Add opinion
triumphleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 PM   #14
Bruce Adams

Just thinking if you really want a tow bar, they are readily available at a reasonable cost. I can't help but believe the one you found might cause more damage than its worth.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-l...bar-94696.html
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #15
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Adams View Post
Just thinking if you really want a tow bar, they are readily available at a reasonable cost. I can't help but believe the one you found might cause more damage than its worth.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-l...bar-94696.html

Been using this tow bar for 35 years to pull the roadster as well as a number of off road Jeeps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hotrodtowbar.JPG (68.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #16
Benson

Years ago they used to sell a tow bar that clamps to Bumper Irons ie the Nickel plated piece.

Some of the Repro bumper Clamps that fasten the Bumper irons to the curved bumper brackets have pot metal parts on them.

These Bumper Clamps: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/bumper-clamps-4943

Clamps fasten to these Bumper brackets:
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/front-bumper-brackets

A local guy had his tow bar clamped on when one of the cast pot metal Bumper clamp heads broke.

He almost lost the car at 75 MPH.

Luckily he felt the vibration as the bolt broke and got off to the side of the road in time to save it.

Last edited by Benson; 09-11-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Corrections to make it more clear ...
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
holdover

it has been my experience when dealing with China products that the bolts they use are very inferior to what a "safe bolt" would be. I always go to the local Tractor Supply and replace all of them with Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolts to be on the safe side. Guess how I know the china bolts are garbage....
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #18
Keith True

I don't think anybody is suggesting actually using one of these things.They are just antiques,wall art,to hang up with all the other obsolete old tools.