Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
jfcrash

Default 1935 Horns and Horn Rod questions

Finally working on my short list….

1935- Horns and Horn Rod questions….

Getting ready to clean-up and paint the horn trumpets on my horns…both horns work when 6v is applied, they are very loud and for lack of another word…sound garbled.

In the horn picture below, top center, there is a screw with a locking nut…what does that adjust??

To the left of that, there is a set of points which I filed lightly with a two sided point file, their seems to be a lot of sparks coming off the points when voltage is applied…is that normal??

Horn Rod…

Installed the horn rod thru the steering column, attached the spring, yoke and c-washer. When parked, the light switch works fine as far as getting power to the parking, low and high wiring. I took car for a spin (in the driveway) and when turning the steering wheel left or right, the horn rod and switch also turn with the steering wheel…any thoughts??

Thank You, Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1178.jpg (114.9 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1157.jpg (198.3 KB, 60 views)

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:53 PM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: 1935 Horns and Horn Rod questions

You should lube the rod with grease so it doesn't turn also remove any bends in it .The screw on the horn is to tune the sound of the horn , the sparks are OK as it breaks contact with a electromagnet ,If the sound is very harsh make sure there are gaskets ether side of the metal diagram .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Terry,OH

The screw with the locknut adjust where the contacts part. Very small adjustment make a big difference. Adjust for the loudest volume. I have seen gaskets on some horn diaphragms but not the 35. If you take the contacts apart you can clean them to remove all the pitting on both sides and make them flat. The condenser is supposed to suppress the contact arcing, make sure it is connected across the contacts.
On the horn rod do you have the small brass split bushing on the top of the steering column, just under the horn button? make sure the rod is straight. I usually take a small wire brush and pull it through the column hole to remove dry box lube and crud, make sure the horn rod has no drag in the column before reassembly.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
jfcrash

Thanks Ted/Terry…. there are no gaskets on either side of the diaphragm on either of the two horns I have to refurbish…. I will clean them up and play with the adjustment screw now that I know what its for.

I pulled the horn rod, and do see two small bulges that I need to work on. I also see that the steering wheel hub and bottom of the horn button are rubbing as the paint I applied is scuffed up. I do not have the split brass bushing that was mentioned…don’t see one in Mac’s catalog…is there source for these or a good alternative?

Thank You,Jim

Old 09-23-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Henryat1140

Re the horn rod.

We just finished up changing the steering column in a 36. Gettiing the horn rod to function properly took 3 of us over an hour!

Rule #1 is resist the temptation to 'sneak' the rod in or out by just 'bending it a little'. It really does need to be inserted and removed totally straight without any bending stress whatsoever.

The brass bushing is needed. Could yours be stuck in the top of the steering shaft? If it's really really gone, I haven't done this but have heard of people making a replacement out of a brass bullet casing. AFAIK no one is reproducing this part.

Next you want to make sure the rod is dead nuts straight - close isn't good enough. We used a sheet rock T square and held the rod up to it to see where the wows were. We worked slowly and eventually got it 100% straight.

Next, anything you can do to make the rod smooth will help. We used steel wool and 600 wet or dry sandpaper. We also sprayed carb cleaner down the shaft. The brush cleaning idea as mentioned above is a good one.

We found it easier to put the bushing on the rod then insert the rod and bushing together.

This is a tedious job, but unless you see it through you may continue to have trouble with the lights coming on when you make a turn.

Good Luck

Henry
Henryat1140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

You can use paper as a gasket in the horn such as photo copy paper or a cooking grease /wax paper as its water proof ,also check as a extra Strong spring at the switch end could encourage it to turn with the steering rod .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
jfcrash

Thanks Henry for the additional guidance.........I will take my time and clean things up.......I did find that brass bushing in Mac's Model A catalog....they are 25 minutes from me so I'll pick one up....

Ted thanks...I have woundered also if the new spring tension was to great....I am hopefull things will work out the second time around.

Jim

Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
jirving

How do I remove the horn button and light switch from the steering wheel on a 1934 Ford?
jirving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
Lawson Cox

The 35 horns make a harsh sound, not a melodious sound like later horns. It is more of a viabrating sound than anything. If they are working I don't know that I would mess with them too much. My 2¢.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #10
35 coupe

if you are concerned about the horn rod making contact inside the steering shaft , put some shrink tube over it in the spots that may be bent a little just clean the rod and heat the tubing around it. then apply a little grease to it
35 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote