Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #41
39deluxecp

Default Re: 351c miss/backfire under load?

Hallalua!! I found the missfire at full throttle problem!

asked my son what he thought might be causing the backfire and loss of power under load. He crawled under the car to check the fuel lines for any kinks or obstructions. He was under the car about 3 minutes and said he found a leaking fuel line connection. so I handed him a couple wrenches and he tighted the loose connection about 1/4 turn or so. We took it out for a test drive north of town and it was running great like a cleveland should. Now I hav to try to keep my foot out of it , at least aroung town! thanks for all the help , I am really glad to have it running right.
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:33 PM   #42
packrat5
BANNED

So.... #92 jets? That's 22 sizes bigger!!!!! Yowzer!!!!! And then with E85, expect about 3 gallons to the mile.
Theoretically, a 750 carb isn't too big. The cfm rating of a carb is just that, the rating of the carb. You will likely never have the carb wide open long enough to even open the secondaries. Secondly, the limiting factor(s) are the rest of the induction system, not the carb The air cleaner, the intake manifold, the flow capability of the heads, (not a problem with Clevelands, actually, the opposite) the entire exhaust system, and the camshaft. With all of those factors considered, you might be lucky to even pull close to 600 cfm under most conditions
And finally, if this isn't enough theory, (meaning BS) case in point, those old 289 Fords that ran 4 Webers with a combined CARBURETOR flow of 1200 cfm
This ought to start a flurry of postings, great fun ain't it?
packrat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-26-2020, 04:21 PM   #43
39deluxecp

I am going to go back to the original jets, then set the timing, and carb.i bought a new 750 Holley so that when I replace this 351 with the 408 stroker I am replacing it with next winter the carb size will be good
39deluxecp is offline   Reply With Quote