Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
ibflyin

Default 1936 hood trim installation

I have a new reproduction set of hood trim and clips for my ‘36 coupe. Would someone offer some advice on how to install the clips in the trim and through those little holes in the hood sides with out damaging the stainless trim?

Thank you!

Tim
ibflyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #2
nelsb01

Default Re: 1936 hood trim installation

Just did the same thing with the stainless surround on my 1936 Pickup grille. Get a piece of 1x4 pine about 12 long. The clips should not matter if they are slid in with the curve one way or the other. Take a rubber hammer and with the first clip over the hole, place the pine board (long ways) over the stainless where the clip is and give it a pound. Scary-- yes, but the clips go in with minimal damage to the paint. If you are sliding in more that one clip at a time, make sure the others are over the holes that they will be going in before pounding the first one. As they say -- It worked for me.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #3
ibflyin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsb01 View Post
Just did the same thing with the stainless surround on my 1936 Pickup grille. Get a piece of 1x4 pine about 12 long. The clips should not matter if they are slid in with the curve one way or the other. Take a rubber hammer and with the first clip over the hole, place the pine board (long ways) over the stainless where the clip is and give it a pound. Scary-- yes, but the clips go in with minimal damage to the paint. If you are sliding in more that one clip at a time, make sure the others are over the holes that they will be going in before pounding the first one. As they say -- It worked for me.
Do the clips need to “twist” to perpendicular with the trim? The clips slide in the back of the trim, but seem very loose. I tried twisted one “in place, but it seems too large to do this.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
nelsb01

No -- the clips are loose in the stainless channel (remember, I am speaking about the grille trim for a pickup). I believe they are the same clips -- they are an oval at the top, with the 'legs' going down in the center and crossing as an 'X'.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
Gary Tosel

A friend and I just recently installed the hood trim and clips on a 36 Ford Coupe.

Previous experience by me found it difficult to install the clips in the louver area in particular. We install paper under the area of the trim and close to the holes and then aligned the clips in the holes and held in place with masking tape.

We then grabbed the clip on the inside with a vise grip and pulled them into position. The paper protects the paint when the clip pops into place. I have done other hoods with very good results. Obviously you need thin paper to easily remove after the trim is all installed on each hood side.
Gary Tosel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 11:33 AM   #6
ibflyin

Thank you for y’all’s input and help this far. I think part of my dilemma is figuring out how the clips go into the trim itself (orientation). Are the clips to be installed “parallel” to the trim, as in the first photo? Or, are they to be installed in the trim perpendicular to the trim, as in the second photo?

When I slide the clip in oriented parallel to the trim, it’s very loose. When I tried to squeeze a clip enough to fit it in perpendicular to the trim, it kinda mangles up the clip.

Thanks, again, for the help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6AE3F56A-9A4B-4AFB-8082-0C11FFFE9B76.jpg (76.9 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 185FF28E-1E12-48AC-85E0-211F937374A3.jpg (92.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 05-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #7
TagMan

The ones I removed from my '36 were parallel (picture #1). of course, in the last 80-years they have probably been disturbed, but I can't imagine trying to insert then perpendicular.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibflyin View Post
Thank you for y’all’s input and help this far. I think part of my dilemma is figuring out how the clips go into the trim itself (orientation). Are the clips to be installed “parallel” to the trim, as in the first photo? Or, are they to be installed in the trim perpendicular to the trim, as in the second photo?

When I slide the clip in oriented parallel to the trim, it’s very loose. When I tried to squeeze a clip enough to fit it in perpendicular to the trim, it kinda mangles up the clip.

Thanks, again, for the help!
With the spring clip installed as in picture #1, move it to one side or the other.
It should remain captured by the lip of the molding.
If it does not come out then you are good to go.
It has to allow for some movement of the molding for alignment purposes.
If the clip comes out it is too small.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:56 PM   #9
ibflyin

Thanks TagMan and 51 Merc-CT!

When I slide the clips in as in pic 1, I can work it out by rotating the clip, but knowing this is the correct way, I think I can massage the clips a little to ensure they stay in the trim piece.

Moving forward now! Thank you, very much, for everybody’s help!