Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #1
HOTRODPRIMER

Default Remember that first Model A?

My first Model A,original or hot rod,this is the one I built in the 70's. HRP

Last edited by HOTRODPRIMER; 10-11-2015 at 06:02 PM.
HOTRODPRIMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
clo2jim

Default Re: Remember that first Model A?

Got my first in 1987 - 1930 Coupe - still working on it.
2nd - 2007 - 1930 Canadian Roadster - our touring car - new interior in 1988, motor overhauled in winter 2012 - over 5,000 driven since - 3rd place Touring Class award st Dallas 1998 - 356 points
3st - 2009 - 1930 original US Town Sedan - original - received MARC of Original Excellence award at this years Niagara Falls MARC Meet - 413 points

Three are better than one!
clo2jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
glenn in camino

My first Model A was a 31 standard coupe that I bought for $100.00 in late 1957. I painted it gloss black with a brush over Christmas vacation and in April, took my driver's test in it. I don't have any pictures of it, except in my mind. I'll never forget it.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
burner31

I'm a late bloomer, got my 1st in Dec of last year, my Christmas gift to myself.
After sitting in a garage for 56 years it took me 2 1/2 months of constant work to get the engine running and then took her for a drive, have not stopped driving it since.
Matter of fact, I just got done tonight with my 1st night time cruise.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 07:53 PM   #5
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
My first Model A,original or hot rod,this is the one I built in the 70's. HRP

Do you still have it?
Back in the 70's...what did you pay for it? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:17 PM   #6
HOTRODPRIMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Do you still have it?
Back in the 70's...what did you pay for it? If you don't mind me asking.
No,I sold it in 1983

I paid 400 bucks,it didn't have a engine or transmission. HRP
Old 10-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
99ZoomR

I just bought my first model A a month ago. Went to the Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village and brought a piece of it home. 😊
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (88.4 KB, 88 views)
99ZoomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 PM   #8
JtownJoe

Actually My first model A was just purchased in 2007. Kind of a throwback to having owned a 34 Ford v/8four door sedan in1963 when I was in high school In Windber, PA. Great car had it for a few years but was too immature to realize what I had. MY dad and I found it locally, it had been sitting for at least ten year is a basement garage and all it needed was fresh gas, jumper cables, air in the tires and water in the radiator plus fake plates to drive it home ,kept it for about 5 years and sold it when I went on active duty in"65'Sure wish I hade that 34 Fordoor and my other was car a 57 Corvette with both hard & soft tops The Corvette had a souped up 283 in it with some work done to it and it was very fast on t he street but that 34Ford was just the coolost car aroung!
I blame it all on finding out about girls. they just somehow change what I thought was so important at the time!
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:57 PM   #9
J Wade

I bought my first model A this year. Beer and Ebay I don't regret it a bit. The engine is overhauled and slowly going through the rest of it. Just beginning on this journey, and enjoying it all thanks in part to the Barn for their help.
J Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:09 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

On the ranch, I remember as a kid, we had a 28-29 Closed Cab Pickup sitting just outside our shop and I used to get in it and pretend to drive it. Unfortunately it got sold before I had any say about it.

I got my interest in the Model A Ford a few years later when I used to go to a farmer friend of mine, Herb Seagraves, who lived about 3 miles down the Touchet River Road and up a canyon. There he had this nice restored 1928 Open Cab Pickup which belonged at one time to another neighbor. I was about 11 years old and liked to sit in the Pickup and pretend to drive it. My friend took me for rides in the pickup and I was hooked.

In the spring of 1964 he asked me to come up and pull rye out of his wheat. Hey, why not earn a little money. While at his place, I noticed that he had another Model A in the barn. It was in real nice shape and needed restored. I asked my farmer friend what he was going to do with it. As usual, he told me just what most of us have heard at one time or another. He told me that he was going to restore it someday.

Well, for the next two years or so I was always going by and looking at it. I was also admiring a 1929 Closed Cab Pickup in another shed. I kept pestering him about selling it to me because he just was not going to do anything with it as far as I could tell.

One day in September of 1966, just as I was starting my Junior year of High School, I must of got him on a good day because he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I told him yes. He told me that he would sell me the 1929 Standard Coupe and the 1929 Closed Cab Pickup on one condition….that I restore the car and pickup to original and not to a hot rod. I told him that I would so he told me that I could have both vehicles for $250.00. I couldn’t get back to the ranch fast enough. I was soon the proud owner of two Model A’s.
On the ranch, I remember as a kid, we had a 28-29 Closed Cab Pickup sitting just outside our shop
Restored the Coupe in 1980 but sold the Pickup. You should of seen the smile on my farmer friend’s face as I showed him the Coupe for which he sold me back in 1966. I then returned the favor and took him for a ride! I will never forget that day.

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 10-11-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #11
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTRODPRIMER View Post
No,I sold it in 1983
Sold it !!!!!!! That's the first mistake. Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:37 PM   #12
Henry's Lady's Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
I'm a late bloomer, got my 1st in Dec of last year, my Christmas gift to myself.
After sitting in a garage for 56 years it took me 2 1/2 months of constant work to get the engine running and then took her for a drive, have not stopped driving it since.
Matter of fact, I just got done tonight with my 1st night time cruise.
Well, I'm kinda like you, Keith. I got my first and only, "Bonnie" (30 Town Sedan), just June of 2014; like you, I still have stars in my eyes for my Bonnie. She's beautiful to me, and she still turns heads at 85! What a cougar! (er, Model A). At the rate I've been going, I may never afford another, yet I consider myself very lucky to have one.
She needed a complete brake job, tie rod ends, all balls redone (tie rod, drag link, pitman arm) and king pins. I learned an incredible amount from the guys on the Ford Barn in this short time, and am still just a Model A baby learning to walk.
My better half has to share me with Bonnie, but we all get along just fine. Chuck
Old 10-12-2015, 01:12 AM   #13
pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Sold it !!!!!!! That's the first mistake. Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
Yeh, the car is long gone, is the girl long gone too ?
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 01:19 AM   #14
DougVieyra

My first "Model A" was a 1928 Chevrolet Sport Coupe - that was in 1963. I deliberately wanted to avoid a Model A because they were so plentiful and still used as daily drivers by a few 'old timers'.
The '28 Chevy had a bigger trunk than the Ford, solid disc wheels, wooden steering wheel, and a few up-grades that a Ford lacked.
However, the Ford had one thing that the Chevy did not have. LOTS of spare parts - everywhere ! As I was using the '28 Chevy as an everyday 'driver', that was an important issue. So when the axle-shaft on the Chevy broke ( a common occurrence on Chevy's) and I could not locate another (many decades before the 'Google' internet search), I sold the car to Bill Harrah in Reno.
So in 1964 I bought my first Ford Model A - a November 1927 Tudor. Chevrolet and others called this body style a 'Coach'. I drove that car for about two years, while at the same time I acquired my Grandfather's December 1928 Ford Touring, which I had grown up with. I still have that car today, having restored it with my good buddy of the time, Marco Tahtarras, in about 1978-'79. And like then, it is still my daily driver.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:12 AM   #15
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's Lady's Man View Post
Well, I'm kinda like you, Keith. I got my first and only, "Bonnie" (30 Town Sedan), just June of 2014; like you, I still have stars in my eyes for my Bonnie. She's beautiful to me, and she still turns heads at 85! What a cougar! (er, Model A). At the rate I've been going, I may never afford another, yet I consider myself very lucky to have one.
She needed a complete brake job, tie rod ends, all balls redone (tie rod, drag link, pitman arm) and king pins. I learned an incredible amount from the guys on the Ford Barn in this short time, and am still just a Model A baby learning to walk.
My better half has to share me with Bonnie, but we all get along just fine. Chuck
Wow, it's like looking in a mirror, every word could have come from my mouth.
If we lived closer I think you and I would get along quite well.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:41 AM   #16
V4F

Tell me you at least kept the pretty Gal.
nope I got her ! ............
Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #17
holdover

First one bought in 1966 a 1931 Black business coupe, seems like yesterday, and when I dive my '29 CCPU or my '29 Coupe, I'm right back in that time frame
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #18
TDO

I worked on a 1931 ford coupe with a friend of mine in 1964. And than at age 18,also in 1964, Uncle Sam wanted me to be with him for a few years. After getting out of the Army , Got married and started raising a family. So it took me to 2006 to buy my own 1930 Model A coupe. It was to be my retirement project. Retired in 2009. took me 3 years to Re do the coupe. It's the one on my avatar. And I sure do in joy my 1930 coupe.
TDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:20 PM   #19
Fred K-OR

This is how the "modified" CCPU looked after I put it together from parts my Uncle gave me. This was back in the early 1950's. The chassis, motor, axles, etc. are still under my "new" 1929 Model A huckster I currently have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-Scanned-10.jpg (66.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 64IMG_7687.jpg (97.2 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 10-12-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 02:29 PM   #20
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred K-OR View Post
This is how the "modified" CCPU looked after I put it together from parts my Uncle gave me. This was back in the early 1950's. The chassis, motor, axles, etc. are still under my "new" 1929 Model A huckster I currently have.
You have a smoKestack coming out of the hood?
Coal powered?