Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Lee Mitch

Default Running board trim

Hey A' ers

I am restoring my 1930 running boards and am wondering where one of the zinc trim pieces go. I have 4 for each board. Does one of them go on the inside next to the splash shield? I am thinking if that is the case, than I must lay the piece down on the running board and place the matting over the lower portion of the strip and then crimp the top down over it. Am I thinking straight? I sure would like to see a photo of a finished one! Thanks a bunch!
Lee Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
Greg Jones

Default Re: Running board trim

See if this helps you...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...+running+board
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Lee Mitch

Thanks Greg. It helps, sort of. My inner moulding, purchased at Snyders, doesn't look anything like what Marco's does. Mine is a "C" or "U" channel with one lip much longer than the other. Back to the drawing board... or catalog.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Greg Jones

Yes most of the repro is different than the original, to one exent or another. My approach was to mimic, as best I could, the trim on repro boards. I bought a set of the excellent repro trim from a fellow and used those pieces which were VERY different than the snyder's trim and other repros. FWIW, unless you are using all original running boards and original trim you are going to have to "restoengineer" your parts. That's my term for figuring out how to make them fit and work.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Greg Jones

And to try to address your question, the inner trim piece against the spash apron actually lays on top of the board and mat, not crimped on the inside. Little bolt heads ride in the channel on the bottom of the trim piece and pentrate through to the bottom side of the running board, where they are fastened underneath with nuts. Hope I am helping a little bit and not just muddying things up further.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
peters180a/170b

Just spoke to Bob Burdick who made super running board trim. Has all the die's and rollers to make them again "BUT" has no time ...Someone should buy or make a deal with him for the tools to make a run. He said it would be at least 1 years before he might get back to it... THAT REALLY SUCKS ! Wish i had a shop.... AND THE KNOW HOW.
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
RHD

Post Re: Running board trim

This is the inner trim I used. (The centre of the 3 trim pieces.) Not 100% the correct shape, but as close as we could bend. It works well. Use horn motor mount bolts to hold the trim down. It sits on top of the rubber. Nothing is crimped. The outer trim clips into place and the edge under the running board may require a slight upward bend to hold it firm. I have more pics if you are stuck, or send me a PM.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1190040.jpg (26.8 KB, 43 views)
RHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
eystein

Does the original style trim go over the pyramids in the rubber matting, or should we cut away or otherwise flatten out the pyramids that go under the trim edges ?
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #9
Lee Mitch

Thanks everyone! I made the Snyder's work. I am new in this hobby and am happy with the availability of parts, but also quite surprised that some parts that you would think would be in abundance (readily made) are not. What I did was drill small holes through the bottom lip of the channel and used nuts/bolts similar to those found on the horn. The main problem is that the matting raises up a little bit at each bolt head. I can live with it, and it doesn't affect the driving.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Mitch

Bob is in California, I believe. What machine equipment is needed to use his tooling?
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote