Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
ericr

Default Part of Our Problem with Model "A" Fords

Have you guys ever considered that part of our uncertainties with these cars is that there is simply not anyone around anymore who drove them when they were new and could drive our cars and accurately describe how well they braked, steered, etc compared to originals. Anyone like that has been gone for quite a while. My Dad did have such friends (long since deceased) and I do remember them saying that these cars were known for economical operation and would run-run-run with minimal maintenance....just about the opposite of our experiences LOL. Of course we all know drivers had lots of tire trouble back then and the gasoline was of poorer quality. But as far as riding quality, workmanship of details, etc.....we are in the dark, aren't we?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
SLPreston53

Default Re: Part of Our Problem with Model "A" Fords

I think you have something there. For example, take operating speed. I have heard all sorts of authoritative opinions from folks about what should be the cruising speed of a Model A. But, never has anyone actually said to me, "back in the day WE used to drive them at....". To that example, one can add all the other discussions we have like steering feel, what is the correct "timing" and all the rest.
SLPreston53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
al's28/33

They run just fine up to about 45 MPH on small country roads. Back in the day, where could anyone have "opened her up" to go top speed ??? Roads were bad, tires gave out frequently and who was in a hurry like today? Keep your "A" (and yourself) safe and be alert on the road. There were 3 major accidents that stopped traffic on Hwy 80 and both directions of Hwy 92 this morning. I see no need for speed in my '28.
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Art Bjornestad

I have gathered that the "life" of a T model was 5,000 miles and that an A was 10,000. Cars lasted longer than that but it was similar to '50 cars going to 100,000miles.
Art Bjornestad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Well, people's perception is often tainted anyway so even if someone says back in the day, I want to see documentation. When you actually drive/inspect a 8,000 mile or a 13,000 mile Model-A, you find that these cars are much closer to being what the prints & Stds state than the claims of some folks who vividly remember what their grandpa said about their car back in the day. There are still quite a few very low mileage Model-As out there that deserve to be experienced first before you form opinions. They run well & smooth, they steer well, and even stop. The doors align and latch well, and the hood and deck lids fit. They also don't squeak or rattle either. Imagine all that???

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
29ModelA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Well, people's perception is often tainted anyway so even if someone says back in the day, I want to see documentation. When you actually drive/inspect a 8,000 mile or a 13,000 mile Model-A, you find that these cars are much closer to being what the prints & Stds state than the claims of some folks who vividly remember what their grandpa said about their car back in the day. There are still quite a few very low mileage Model-As out there that deserve to be experienced first before you form opinions. They run well & smooth, they steer well, and even stop. The doors align and latch well, and the hood and deck lids fit. They also don't squeak or rattle either. Imagine all that???
Our car has 94000 miles on it... and even after sitting in a barn 40 years the doors and truck shut nicer than some newer cars.

Interior, steering box (rebuild), and I am sure much more!
29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
Mitch

When I turned 16 in 1965, I bought a 1930 coupe. It was well used with 45K miles. It was the only thing I had to drive for a few years. Young and fearless, I did not know it should be driven slow, so down the highway we went as fast as the car would go. 45-50 mph up grade and 65-70 down hill (at least that's what the speedo said). For some reason, the engine did not explode. I grew up on a farm and compared to the poor brakes on our tractors and trucks the Model A seemed to stop on a dime.

Now I would not even consider abusing the car like that today, but I still have it.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
1930artdeco

I wonder if another part of the problem is that people like myself grew up on cars from the 60-70's when the A was already 40 yrs old. So by the time that I got into A's most were either rodded or restored and not original. So I do not have an original car to compare it to.

Mike
Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 PM   #9
Barry B./ Ma.

I remember riding in my dads 35 Plymouth on the highways of the 40s and we didn't have the highways we have today. We were moving right along at 35 to 40 and didn't complain. On the super highways of the day we were happy to go 50 to 55. Now I drive my Model A 40 to 50 on those 35mph roads.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #10
John Butts in CT

I've had my Tudor since 1967. When we brought it home, there was one "A" in or neighborhood in daily use and another one undergoing "restoration."

I'll suggest that what we've lost is a degree of general hands on knowledge about automobiles in general. Back in high school, practically every adult I knew had some experience with an "A." Two examples:

I purchased a set of tires and metal stem tubes off the rack(!) at the local Firestone store in '68. When the young techie installed them, the car bucked like a bronco. I went back, and an older guy put the "A" on the lift and dropped the tire pressure to 10 psi. He then gave each wheel a spin and whacked each spinning tire repeatedly with a rubber mallet. When he reinflated the tires, all of the alignment marks lined up perfectly with the rims, and the car rode as smooth as silk. No weights. No beads. Just experience.

Another older guy who worked for my dad "dialed in" my brakes by first following the usual wheel-by-wheel method, and then fine-tuning after seeing how much each wheel dragged in the "real life" situation of a panic stop from 35 mph on dirt.

These are the little tricks I remember, and I like to think that this forum is the modern equivalent of the corner garage of my youth.
John Butts in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Gord. B by the bay

I had my first model A in 1948 and drove to work daily at 36 miles round trip the only car I had so I had to use it no matter what the weather ,season if you wanted to go some place , pick up your sweety you went in your model A drove it as far as you had to go and always brought you back home whatwas the miles driven we did not care, the brakes you could stop it, lights worked horn blew we enjoyed our A it was all we had, new tires? It was war time if you had good used ones you were very lucky
I do not remember the rad leaking, how much pressure was in the tires checked oil before you started most of the time carried a quart of used oil just in case, I cannot remember being left on the side of the road. Well it was great fun,
Gord. B by the Bay
Gord. B by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #12
barnstuf

I was a small boy when Dad bought a new 1928 Town Sedan. He drove about 40 mph on local 2 lane paved roads and that was the normal speed most folks drove. Tires would last 12-18,000 miles depending on the quality tire you had purchased. Folks drove tires until they were threadbare and blowouts seldom occurred on tires with tread, but often occurred when they were threadbare. I also noticed that Art said cars of the 50's were only good for about 100,000 miles. I bought a new 1947, traded it for a 1953 when it had 197,000 miles on it, traded the 1953 for a 1959 when it had 190,000 miles on it, traded the 1959 for a 1965 when it had 210,000 miles on it. All were running great but my employer who paid me company miles required using a car no more than 6 years old, hence I had to trade.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:34 PM   #13
2manycars

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
I was a small boy when Dad bought a new 1928 Town Sedan. He drove about 40 mph on local 2 lane paved roads and that was the normal speed most folks drove. Tires would last 12-18,000 miles depending on the quality tire you had purchased. Folks drove tires until they were threadbare and blowouts seldom occurred on tires with tread, but often occurred when they were threadbare. I also noticed that Art said cars of the 50's were only good for about 100,000 miles. I bought a new 1947, traded it for a 1953 when it had 197,000 miles on it, traded the 1953 for a 1959 when it had 190,000 miles on it, traded the 1959 for a 1965 when it had 210,000 miles on it. All were running great but my employer who paid me company miles required using a car no more than 6 years old, hence I had to trade.
Glad to see you are still going strong, Rich. I came upon a photo I took of you and your coupe a few years ago.
2manycars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #14
Elcastor

Where I drive, two lane roads are all that we have. The only paved road is the main highway, well almost! There are a couple of other paved roads, but not many. I really do not drive much on the main highway as I do not think that it is safe since I do not keep up with the speed of the other drivers once the drivers get out of our small town.

I use air filters on my Model A because most all the roads are dirt/sand. 45 mph is about as fast as I drive, and most driving is done at much lower speeds! If I need professional help or advice on my Model A, I rely on the Ford Barn because there is no local help or clubs! It has been said that this location is about 30 years behind the times. This is Baja California Sur, Mexico!

PS: It is a really nice place to live and/or vacation, except in the summer months (when I leave) because of the heat, and the humidity.
Elcastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad View Post
I have gathered that the "life" of a T model was 5,000 miles and that an A was 10,000. Cars lasted longer than that but it was similar to '50 cars going to 100,000miles.
I personally find that hard to believe based on the faded numbers I've seen on speedometers I've worked on or seen for sale. As a matter of fact any of you out there that have rebuilt your speedo what was reading when the car was parked. I mean what was the reading with the most faded numbers.

As for the first post about first hand knowledge of how the car worked. In that sense you are right on. would be nice to be able to speak with someone that actually drove the car new. While few in number, there have been those that have driven original low mileage Model A's like Marco that reported things like easy steering with no play or extreamly little play.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:56 AM   #16
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Bjornestad View Post
Help me out, ...how did you summize that -or maybe just explain that further to me please ?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:25 AM   #17
jerry shook

Art. Don"t even try to explain, no matter what you say some people wont understand.
jerry shook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:53 AM   #18
newshirt

Someday I want a Model A restored to exact production specifications. I just want to feel what a new one felt like in 1929.

In my mind, I picture it with no vibration at 60 mph, no play, no wandering, no bumpness, no mushy brakes, no engine roar. I imagine it as a smooth tight ride that exceeds all your expectations.

But how long would that last when driving it every day and leaving it out in the weather? 2 - 4 years? Then it would probably feel like mine does today -- like a typical used car.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
JBohannon

Well I am old enough to know that most of the driver's in the 50's just did not drive very fast. I did say most of them. I can remember taking a 100 mile trip in a 56 Chevy with my grandparents and my grandfather never got over 50. The older people just did not seem to push it. I wish my dad was still around he could tell me so much about my car. It is correct that oldtimers could be of great knowledge for us.
JBohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshirt View Post
In my mind, I picture it with no vibration at 60 mph, no play, no wandering, no bumpness, no mushy brakes, no engine roar. I imagine it as a smooth tight ride that exceeds all your expectations.

You have to be right. The service bulletins talk about getting rid of squeeks I wish my car was quiet enough to hear just squeeks.